ADVERTISEMENT

Sac State 7 , ASU 19 Final Score

ASU was 36 pt favorite.
Sad state for the pac12 and nice showing last 2 weeks by UCD and Sac state.

ASU was 36 pt favorite.
Sad state for the pac12 and nice showing last 2 weeks by UCD and Sac state.

Don’t follow the national narrative I’m sure Portland state took a sec skool down to the brink. The bottom teams of all power 5s aren’t that much more talented than small fbs teams and top fcs teams

Reactions: 13 others
ASU had about 50 more yards of offense.

Pretty darned good effort by Sac State.

Yeah, outside of an upset, the result was about as good as a Sac State fan could hope for.

It was 3-0 at half with the Hornets having a turnover on downs at the ASU 32. They could have been tied or even taken a lead had they converted.

Then it was 12-7 midway through the 4th before ASU finally broke through with a long TD pass.

I know ASU is starting a ton of freshman, but I am still impressed by the Hornets defense which was often gashed last year. Holding a PAC-12 team to 3 points at half and 19 for the game in the hot weather in their own backyard is a nice feat. The Sun Devils had a lot of self inflicted penalties and turnovers, but still.

I did expect more out of the Hornets offense, who also suffered from numerous self-inflicted mistakes. Had they been able to get it together, they may have won that game,

All in all, it was a very solid effort and something to build from.

Reactions: coachlittle
ASU just beat MSU 10-7 up in East Lansing. MSU was ranked #18 and has one of the better defenses in college football.

Perhaps Sac State’s performance in Tempe last week was even more impressive than most thought.

If the Hornets can win enough games, the loss to ASU might actually help them in securing a playoff spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: MC415
Sac State is slowly starting to win some peeps over. Watched them throttle N.colorado 50-0. I’m not saying n. Colorado is a good measuring stick but to shutout a college team and hang 50 on them after looking very good againt ASU is speaking to what they are trying to accomplish. I can see sac state winning 5 or 6 games this year.
Big test at Fresno State this week. Rooting for the hornets. Been a long time since that buzz has been in the air and it’s great for local norcal kids. Plenty of talent around here.

Sac State is slowly starting to win some peeps over. Watched them throttle N.colorado 50-0. I’m not saying n. Colorado is a good measuring stick but to shutout a college team and hang 50 on them after looking very good againt ASU is speaking to what they are trying to accomplish.

UNC isn’t good, but, at the same time, they lost to D1 San Jose State 35-18 and PAC-12 Washington State 59-17. So the Hornets beat them by a wider margin than either of those two FBS teams and neither came close to shutting out the Bears.

Combine that with the fact that the Hornets played ASU tightly on the road when the Sun Devils turned around the next week to beat MSU up in East Lansing and it’s clear things are changing for the better.

I can see sac state winning 5 or 6 games this year.

That’s what I’m hoping for. For a 1st year staff in a rebuild after a 2-8 season, I think that’d be a successful season. Plus they have what’s been referred to by some as the toughest schedule in the FCS. Anything better would be phenomenal.

I think it’s clear they are better than the 11th best team in the conference as many predicted.

Big test at Fresno State this week. Rooting for the hornets. Been a long time since that buzz has been in the air and it’s great for local norcal kids. Plenty of talent around here.

This game against Fresno will likely determine how successful the season will be for the Hornets. If they manage the upset, I think this team will probably become a playoff team. If it’s close, they may overachieve and win 6 or 7. If they get squashed, they’ll likely turn out to be every part of the 3-5 win team most expected.

This game against Fresno will likely determine how successful the season will be for the Hornets. If they manage the upset, I think this team will probably become a playoff team. If it’s close, they may overachieve and win 6 or 7. If they get squashed, they’ll likely turn out to be every part of the 3-5 win team most expected.

Considering that Fresno has already played two games that could’ve gone either way against USC and Minn, and that the Bulldogs had a BYE week this past weekend to heal; I’d say Sac State should be a heavy road dog this weekend. And should they lose to Fresno on the road this weekend, it shouldnt have any effect on the rest of their season IMHO.

Considering that Fresno has already played two games that could’ve gone either way against USC and Minn, and that the Bulldogs had a BYE week this past weekend to heal; I’d say Sac State should be a heavy road dog this weekend. And should they lose to Fresno on the road this weekend, it shouldnt have any effect on the rest of their season IMHO.

Let me clarify; I’m saying their performance against FSU will indicate to me exactly what type of team they’ve got.

If they play close or win, I think they’ll play well in league despite the toughest schedule and possibly contend for a playoff spot. If they are blown out, it will indicate to me that they’re not ready for the best of the Big Sky.

Also, I disagree that a loss shouldn’t affect their season. With 2 losses, their margin for error won’t be much. They’ll probably need to go no worse than 8-4 to get in the playoffs. Which means they’ll only be able to lose 2 more games.

8-4 might not even work because 1 win would be over a D2 opponent which won’t help them at all.
But 2 good showings against FBS opponents just might get them in at 8-4.

At this point, 8 wins and the playoffs are a pipe dream but I gotta dream big ;)

Reactions: mrbig864
I like the Hornets chances to get into the playoffs at 8-4 (assuming with that record theyd go 7-2 in Big Sky play). I need to see them knock off one the better Big Sky programs to jump completely on board the Bandwagon...but I have to say, “so far, so good”!

Reactions: ThunderRam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT