ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento Area Football Questions Answered

"Just wondering why you don’t cover Sutter? You cover East Nicolaus, which is in the Northern Section. Sutter is right down the road from River Valley and Yuba City.

True, we have done stories on East Nicolaus, notably when it went to and won a CIF State title game.

We’ve had news and notes on Sutter for years as that program is within our coverage area, and Sutter is listed in our weekly Bee rankings as a team on the bubble.

It also goes both ways. East Nicolaus coaches reach out and offer items of interest, record breakers and such."

Sutter will most likely be in the SJS starting in 2022, so they will probably get more Bee coverage then.

Why would Sutter move to the SJS?
Because they have owned the NS. Better competition and better opportunities for their student athletes. It doesn't really matter why, they have already submitted release from the NS and acceptance into the SJS.

What a bunch of BS. Sutter is good because they get student athletes that should be going to RV, Yuba, Marysville and other area high schools. I hope the SJS does the right thing and close the loop hole that they use to recruit. Plus if they had D1 players they would already be being recruited.

Because they have owned the NS. Better competition and better opportunities for their student athletes. It doesn't really matter why, they have already submitted release from the NS and acceptance into the SJS.

This part was interesting...

"With the CIF dropping MaxPreps and the introduction of a new system, this new system has no checks and balances so a person could enter the wrong info and no one can correct it. This could have standings implications. Any thought on how they are going to solve it?

Let’s hope common sense and decency takes over. MaxPreps is still the best source for inputting statistics, schedules and results. Coaches believe in MaxPreps, as do consumers and statewide media. Stick with what works!"

The part in the question that I enlarged... Um... Say what? I have seen obvious mis-represented scores go up on MaxPreps during basketball and STAY up until I found a source and sent in a correction, sometimes as long as a week later.

Yes, MaxPreps does their best to keep things right with help from fans, etc... But who is to say the new system won't do the same thing?

Reactions: concrete17
What a bunch of BS. Sutter is good because they get student athletes that should be going to RV, Yuba, Marysville and other area high schools. I hope the SJS does the right thing and close the loop hole that they use to recruit. Plus if they had D1 players they would already be being recruited.
You do know there is other levels of NCAA sports other than “D1” You also know there are other sports besides football correct? And yep Sutter goes out and recruits the 5’9 165 pound kid to play guard for them all the time...

You do know there is other levels of NCAA sports other than “D1” You also know there are other sports besides football correct? And yep Sutter goes out and recruits the 5’9 165 pound kid to play guard for them all the time...

If you know anything about Sutter football you know they have an unfair advantage when it comes to taking kids from local schools. And yes, I know that and playing in the SJS or Northern section you can still get you recruited in any sport. If you can play you will get recruited. Kids from the north get recruited and in baseball get drafted. Players get seen no matter what league they play in. And if you look on the roster they have nobody 165lb guard. I have watched Sutter for 15 years now and guess what most of the team doesn’t live in Sutter.

If you know anything about Sutter football you know they have an unfair advantage when it comes to taking kids from local schools. And yes, I know that and playing in the SJS or Northern section you can still get you recruited in any sport. If you can play you will get recruited. Kids from the north get recruited and in baseball get drafted. Players get seen no matter what league they play in. And if you look on the roster they have nobody 165lb guard. I have watched Sutter for 15 years now and guess what most of the team doesn’t live in Sutter.
The difference is the lack of exposure that the NS gets over the SJS. An unfair advantage cause they take kids from other schools? Parents choose to send their kids to Sutter not only for their athletics but for the academic side of it also. When you say the word “recruiting” your suggesting that the coaches go to kids home and offer them something to go to Sutter. Like I said before if Sutter was recruiting wouldn’t you think they’d be getting your “D1” athletes year in and year out?

"With the CIF dropping MaxPreps and the introduction of a new system, this new system has no checks and balances so a person could enter the wrong info and no one can correct it. This could have standings implications. Any thought on how they are going to solve it?

Let’s hope common sense and decency takes over. MaxPreps is still the best source for inputting statistics, schedules and results. Coaches believe in MaxPreps, as do consumers and statewide media. Stick with what works!"

The part in the question that I enlarged... Um... Say what? I have seen obvious mis-represented scores go up on MaxPreps during basketball and STAY up until I found a source and sent in a correction, sometimes as long as a week later.

Yes, MaxPreps does their best to keep things right with help from fans, etc... But who is to say the new system won't do the same thing?

I for one will be unhappy if Maxpreps starts to flounder. It has generally been a great resource for me.
Here's wishing you great football;)

if you live in the area you know that the coach does not have to do the recruiting. The word of mouth in the area is strong enough and to have a chance to lose in a state championship is a draw in itself. Keeping the school boundary that was there prior to RV being built is an unfair advantage for Sutter. Sutter academics are no better than any other school in the area. And you don’t need D1 athletes to win, you need more athletes when your roster has 51 athletes on the team and no one goes both ways it’s an unfair advantage. Especially when 20 or more don’t live in the town. Only one team in the league has more than 35 players and that is Wheatland (45) and that’s because of Plumas Lake which is in their boundary and would have more if East Nicholas didn’t take half from Plumas they also get kids from Beale AFB which has housing again.

QUOTE="HSFguy, post: 245015, member: 6928"]The difference is the lack of exposure that the NS gets over the SJS. An unfair advantage cause they take kids from other schools? Parents choose to send their kids to Sutter not only for their athletics but for the academic side of it also. When you say the word “recruiting” your suggesting that the coaches go to kids home and offer them something to go to Sutter. Like I said before if Sutter was recruiting wouldn’t you think they’d be getting your “D1” athletes year in and year out?[/QUOTp

Sutter is the #1 rated school it Sutter county! Go ahead look it up.

So because they platoon and have the numbers it’s unfair. So 22 kids get to play instead of 11. RV has 1800 kids in their school and has 30ish on their roster and your telling me it’s unfair. Give me a break! Get BETTER. Simple as that. Hope you come enjoy the Sutter vs Wheatland game next Friday night.

Reactions: EN_FB_Alum
There are three high schools in the county being #1 is not a big accomplishment. It is unfair when Sutter plucks 10 athletes from RV and 10 from Yuba. Those kids make a difference on those teams and would bring Sutter down to the competition in the league. The BVL is small town football with one team that pulls that takes advantage of its old boundary. Hope the SJS changes it and Sutter gets what it deserves.

There are three high schools in the county being #1 is not a big accomplishment. It is unfair when Sutter plucks 10 athletes from RV and 10 from Yuba. Those kids make a difference on those teams and would bring Sutter down to the competition in the league. The BVL is small town football with one team that pulls that takes advantage of its old boundary. Hope the SJS changes it and Sutter gets what it deserves.
What do you think the SJS can do about where they get their kids from? Almost every HS in the SJS has some kids that don't live in their school boundaries.

Setting the boundary where it does not include another schools area will help. You are right there are plenty of parents that live their lives through their kids and will take their kids to Sutter so they have a chance to lose a state championship and be able to sit around at the Viking or Apple Bees and say how great their son was in high school.

What do you think the SJS can do about where they get their kids from? Almost every HS in the SJS has some kids that don't live in their school boundaries.

Setting the boundary where it does not include another schools area will help. You are right there are plenty of parents that live their lives through their kids and will take their kids to Sutter so they have a chance to lose a state championship and be able to sit around at the Viking or Apple Bees and say how great their son was in high school.
The Section is never going to get involved with school boundaries, so good luck with that.

You are right it will never happen but lets not look around and think Sutter kids are home grown!
Shouldn’t you be getting ready for basketball season? Coming up fast right? 3 weeks?? Stop crying about what others are doing and worry about what yours isn’t. GET BETTER!

I’m just stating a fact, I’m sorry it hurts, I could really careless but watching you getting your wranglers in a wad cracks me up. Everyone that knows anything about high school sports in the Northern Section knows Sutter is a fraud. So when you go to Applebees tonight and tell your stories about how great you were and how great Sutter is just remember that we all know!

Scorebook Live is a joke of a website.

I’m just stating a fact, I’m sorry it hurts, I could really careless but watching you getting your wranglers in a wad cracks me up. Everyone that knows anything about high school sports in the Northern Section knows Sutter is a fraud. So when you go to Applebees tonight and tell your stories about how great you were and how great Sutter is just remember that we all know!

Sutter doesn’t have to do that, they have people like you in the community that keep them the talk of the town. It’s ok, I totally understand it rolls off the tongue easy.. ;)

I live in the area and it's common knowledge that Sutter picks up an inordinate number of inter district transfers from Yuba city and River Valley as well as some other schools occasionally. It's been going on for decades. Sutter would not be a power without these transfers. Having said that, I give the coaches and community credit for creating a strong program. So in summary: 1) Sutter wouldn't be Sutter without all the transfers 2) The youth program, coaching staff and winning history makes it a great place to play football 3) The North section is ridiculously small and teams with loosing records make the playoffs. Sutter needs to move to the SJS and will compete well there

My point is they wouldn’t be able to compete if they didn’t get the inter district transfers they wouldn’t dominate the Northern Section. I know many of the coaches and they are great. But I’m tired of the facade of this small town school is so great!

I live in the area and it's common knowledge that Sutter picks up an inordinate number of inter district transfers from Yuba city and River Valley as well as some other schools occasionally. It's been going on for decades. Sutter would not be a power without these transfers. Having said that, I give the coaches and community credit for creating a strong program. So in summary: 1) Sutter wouldn't be Sutter without all the transfers 2) The youth program, coaching staff and winning history makes it a great place to play football 3) The North section is ridiculously small and teams with loosing records make the playoffs. Sutter needs to move to the SJS and will compete well there

Well at least we’ve gone from recruiting D1 athletes to now inter district transfers. Which was my point. Kids and parents are going to go to success, it happens all the time. You see it with Folsom, DLS, Central Catholic and many others. Am I saying Sutter is one of the no, but in the Yuba Sutter Area there isn’t a comparison

DLS and Central Catholic are private and can do whatever they want. No one talked about recruiting D1 athletes what was said if Sutter had a lot of D1 athletes they would get recruited no matter what section they played in.

Well at least we’ve gone from recruiting D1 athletes to now inter district transfers. Which was my point. Kids and parents are going to go to success, it happens all the time. You see it with Folsom, DLS, Central Catholic and many others. Am I saying Sutter is one of the no, but in the Yuba Sutter Area there isn’t a comparison

You said “I hope the SJS does the right thing and closes the loophole they use to recruit” what is this loophole you speak of? Being good? If it was YC or RV in this discussion would you be saying the same thing? What about Wheatland with the base kids they were getting year in and year out? Were you upset by that being unfair?

The loop hole is the district map which was done before RV came to be. Beale is within Wheatland School District so they have no where else to go so that makes no sense. And Beale hasn’t had base housing for about 10 years now so they have not helped. Housing is now open so they may get a few kids. Plumas Lake is more help than base and it’s within Wheatland's school district. Some from Plumas do transfer inner district to East Nic.

Im sure RV and Yuba lose kids to Sutter, but both of those programs have competed well vs Sutter in recent history. I could be wrong but I thought RV beat sutter last time they played and I think Yuba won by 2-3 scores. Again I could be wrong on those scores but it's not like Yuba n RV are losing stud Seniors to Sutter. It seems like most the kids are declared RV/Sutter/Yuba at a young age.

Im sure RV and Yuba lose kids to Sutter, but both of those programs have competed well vs Sutter in recent history. I could be wrong but I thought RV beat sutter last time they played and I think Yuba won by 2-3 scores. Again I could be wrong on those scores but it's not like Yuba n RV are losing stud Seniors to Sutter. It seems like most the kids are declared RV/Sutter/Yuba at a young age.

RV and Yuba beat them in 2010, Yuba also beat the in 2009. I don’t think they have played either in the last 7 years. And you are most likely correct that they choose to go to Sutter freshman year but I feel that’s the problem those kids live in the Yuba/RV area and shouldn’t be able to get an inner district transfer for athletics. RV has 36 kids on their roster let’s say 5 of Sutters kids should be at RV that’s huge for a program. Yuba has 49 add 3 or 5 athletes and it changes the whole team. Yuba cities population is 66,000 and both its high schools has less players than Sutter (population 3400). The reason they have more is because players from the other two schools go to Sutter and if the school districts tighten the boundary, RV and Yuba would keep their student athletes.

Last edited:
RV and Sutter are very close to each other. I want to say they are both off of the same street.
Listen I hear all you guys about how kids should go to the school in their boundry attendance area. I will say that sometimes its addition by subtraction.
We never fought a parent wanting to send their fb player to another school, we have sat and talked to them and explained their athletes current situation though. At the end of the day, our motto has always been go, if you want to leave then leave it's ok. I can't remember losing a family that was all in with us and our vision. Most times a kid does not attend our school it's because the parent has issues, not the kid. We lost some great athletes that should have attended Indy, all b/c a dad did not like the Wing T, he sent his kids to a school that was putting in the Veer, then we torched his son at DB in the playoffs and stuffed their veer. It all works out in the end

I’m the one, along with Joe who wrote this story. I didn’t answer the Sutter question, but got asked about it. I hope you guys enjoyed the notebook and if you have any more SJS questions, let me know.

Regarding the "Is it fair that De La Salle always get the Open game at State" question, I couldn't disagree more. I know I'm far from alone in this POV.

It is not fair and it's not right. Far from it.

We all get that DLS hasn't lost to a team North of Fresno since 1991. We also get that DLS has history no other CA program has. However, the Spartans numerous 'streaks' were partially made possible because they didn't have to play the vetted next best team(s) in NorCal and SoCal in a given season for most of those years.

The CA State games didn't begin until 2006 (they lost the 1st one they played) and Regional games didn't begin until 2012 and then they only played TWO of them before the CIF cancelled the Open game.

If State and Regional games were both in place throughout the 90's and 2000's, it's highly doubtful DLS would have won 151 consecutive or would still have a streak against NorCal opposition. Might they have won a majority of those hypothetical games? Possibly. But all of them?? Not likely.

So when you cite reasons such as "Until a NorCal team can beat De La Salle", it rings a bit hollow when the team that proves to be #2 in NorCal in a given season (often a SJS or CCS program) doesn't get the opportunity to face them in the postseason.

For example, Grant Union had numerous teams prior to the advent of the Regional that might have been good enough to beat them, but never had the opportunity. Palo Alto's 2010 team and Elk Grove's 1997 and 1998 teams are other great examples. But far from the only ones.

Conversely, the lack of an Open Regional worked against DLS in 2008, the only occasion a team other than the Spartans participated in the CA State Open. I'll bet they would have loved to have had a shot at Grant Union for the right to play in that game. But the lack of a true playoff system prevented it from happening. You don't see that happen at a regional level in Texas or Florida, which is why nobody runs off 300+.

While DLS has certainly proven to be the clear cut #1 program in NorCal the past 27 years, no team should be gifted a spot into the Open game. They should have to earn it on the field. While DLS might have won 95% of every Regional Open dating back to 1992, playing the game affords one of NorCal's top teams that given season the opportunity to beat them. While DLS has typically tried to schedule NorCal teams that are hopeful to be among the best in a given season, that method will never be near as successful as actually playing an opponent that won enough games to reach an Open Regional.

To summarize, DLS's 300+ game streak was largely made possible because there wasn't a Regional game in place all those years and it is much more likely to continue if they never have to play that game going forward.

It's unfair to the likes of Palo Alto, Grant Union, Elk Grove, Bellarmine, etc. that muster one of their best ever teams only to be denied an opportunity due to past history.

PLAY THE DAMN GAME!!!!

Last edited:
RV and Sutter are very close to each other. I want to say they are both off of the same street.
Listen I hear all you guys about how kids should go to the school in their boundry attendance area. I will say that sometimes its addition by subtraction.
We never fought a parent wanting to send their fb player to another school, we have sat and talked to them and explained their athletes current situation though. At the end of the day, our motto has always been go, if you want to leave then leave it's ok. I can't remember losing a family that was all in with us and our vision. Most times a kid does not attend our school it's because the parent has issues, not the kid. We lost some great athletes that should have attended Indy, all b/c a dad did not like the Wing T, he sent his kids to a school that was putting in the Veer, then we torched his son at DB in the playoffs and stuffed their veer. It all works out in the end

That kid also ended up at Notre Dame, so I’d say it worked out for him and his family as well.

Reactions: mistark
Regarding the "Is it fair that De La Salle always get the Open game at State" question, I couldn't disagree more. I know I'm far from alone in this POV.

It is not fair and it's not right. Far from it.

We all get that DLS hasn't lost to a team North of Fresno since 1991. We also get that DLS has history no other CA program has. However, the Spartans numerous 'streaks' were partially made possible because they didn't have to play the vetted next best team(s) in NorCal and SoCal in a given season for most of those years.

The CA State games didn't begin until 2006 (they lost the 1st one they played) and Regional games didn't begin until 2012 and then they only played TWO of them before the CIF cancelled the Open game.

If State and Regional games were both in place throughout the 90's and 2000's, it's highly doubtful DLS would have won 151 consecutive or would still have a streak against NorCal opposition. Might they have won a majority of those hypothetical games? Possibly. But all of them?? Not likely.

So when you cite reasons such as "Until a NorCal team can beat De La Salle", it rings a bit hollow when the team that proves to be #2 in NorCal in a given season (often a SJS or CCS program) doesn't get the opportunity to face them in the postseason.

For example, Grant Union had numerous teams prior to the advent of the Regional that might have been good enough to beat them, but never had the opportunity. Palo Alto's 2010 team and Elk Grove's 1997 and 1998 teams are other great examples. But far from the only ones.

Conversely, the lack of an Open Regional worked against DLS in 2008, the only occasion a team other than the Spartans participated in the CA State Open. I'll bet they would have loved to have had a shot at Grant Union for the right to play in that game. But the lack of a true playoff system prevented it from happening. You don't see that happen at a regional level in Texas or Florida, which is why nobody runs off 300+.

While DLS has certainly proven to be the clear cut #1 program in NorCal the past 27 years, no team should be gifted a spot into the Open game. They should have to earn it on the field. While DLS might have won 95% of every Regional Open dating back to 1992, playing the game affords one of NorCal's top teams that given season the opportunity to beat them. While DLS has typically tried to schedule NorCal teams that are hopeful to be among the best in a given season, that method will never be near as successful as actually playing an opponent that won enough games to reach an Open Regional.

To summarize, DLS's 300+ game streak was largely made possible because there wasn't a Regional game in place all those years and it is much more likely to continue if they never have to play that game going forward.

It's unfair to the likes of Palo Alto, Grant Union, Elk Grove, Bellarmine, etc. that muster one of their best ever teams only to be denied an opportunity due to past history.

PLAY THE DAMN GAME!!!!

Great post and definitive response to how the playoff road map should be. As an optimist I believe the CIF will eventually amend their playoff procedures so that any given season's truly good programs will be able to determine ...on the field...who is the best to advance to the SBG's against the teams of the Southlands.

Posting at 2:26 AM....are you sharing a house with Football junkie in Georgia or do you just do your best thinking in the middle of the night?

Reactions: ThunderRam
Great post and definitive response to how the playoff road map should be. As an optimist I believe the CIF will eventually amend their playoff procedures so that any given season's truly good programs will be able to determine ...on the field...who is the best to advance to the SBG's against the teams of the Southlands.

Posting at 2:26 AM....are you sharing a house with Football junkie in Georgia or do you just do your best thinking in the middle of the night?
lol,,,

It's worth noting that CCS, in its never-ending quest to pump up opportunities for public schools to counter the dominance of the WCAL and even the playing field, now has a football playoff plan that essentially denies most of the best teams any chance to participate in the state bowl games. By bunching the eight top CCS teams (projected to be at least half of them WCAL programs) in the Division I bracket (enrollment is no longer a factor), the lower four brackets, by definition, are inferior. Only the champion from each of the five divisions is allowed to play in a NorCal regional game. Which means even truly mediocre teams in the lower divisions now have a chance to move on to the NorCal games. It's almost as though some in the North have a mind set designed to prevent their own best from NorCal participation. A C league team could actually wind up in a NorCal regional game. It's been stunning to watch this play out. Let's hear it for the mania for equity.

...and then, of course, there's the AAA in SF...a C league if ever there was one...and it's a separate CIF NorCal section...you can't make up this stuff...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT