ADVERTISEMENT
The Boys on the West Side of the City, crack the perceived glass ceiling of Serra dominance.

I know it is early, but isn’t the phrase we all live with is; “one game at a time and the most important game is the one in front of you”

Statement game?
Great win for SI…. The WCAL dudes we’re predicting 2 league losses for Serra, but I think most thought it would be Riordan and SF…..

So I think this was a suprise and a Statement game Forsure…. I mean if this game was a Pick’em, I think most have it in the 7-10 range with Serra as the pick…. I know that’s how I would have picked it…. 🤣

Reactions: colhenrylives
You don't know what you're talking about. Go to sleep.
Huge win even if this year's Padres was not stocked full of talent like last season. Took an epic Kyle Shanahan-like 14 point fourth quarter meltdown for SI to pull this one out. Congrats to SI. Will this be kickstart their march to their first outright WCAL crown since 1967?

Agree. Serra's roster is far less talented than those in 2022 and 2023. They are still very competitive in the WCAL but certainly not a dominant force. The QB position is especially dicey. No wonder. The current starter was fourth-string in 2023. His primary sport is lacrosse. The heir apparent, a 6-3 pocket passer) transferred when his family moved. Right now, there are four former Padre QBs starting (or sharing) at various schools: Capuchino, Menlo-Atherton (though returning from an injury), Mount Diablo and Bishop Manogue in Reno. Tellingly, neither the Serra freshman team nor the junior varsity possesses what might be a future QB stud. That does not bode well (for Serra) in the future.

Huge win even if this year's Padres was not stocked full of talent like last season. Took an epic Kyle Shanahan-like 14 point fourth quarter meltdown for SI to pull this one out. Congrats to SI. Will this be kickstart their march to their first outright WCAL crown since 1967?
If we can get the W against a visiting Riordan next week. It'll setup up a big game against St. Francis for the WCAL title.

Reactions: THEOC89
I can still follow a bit of NorCal FB from Central Asia. The first week of WCAL league play brings more parity than what I estimated just a week ago. We are closer to our estimates at the beginning of the season. Serra is not longer the favored #1 of WCAL. St. Ignatius beat Serra as a last minute score. And Valley Christian changed the course of their season by overwhelming Mitty. We learned nothing new about Riordan and St. Francis on their wins over Sacred Heart Cathedral and Bellarmine. Here is my view of WCAL ranking right now. No doubt this list will change again with more league play.
#1. SI
#2. JS
#3. SF
#4. AR
#5. VC
#6. AM
#7. SHC
#8. BCP

I can still follow a bit of NorCal FB from Central Asia. The first week of WCAL league play brings more parity than what I estimated just a week ago. We are closer to our estimates at the beginning of the season. Serra is not longer the favored #1 of WCAL. St. Ignatius beat Serra as a last minute score. And Valley Christian changed the course of their season by overwhelming Mitty. We learned nothing new about Riordan and St. Francis on their wins over Sacred Heart Cathedral and Bellarmine. Here is my view of WCAL ranking right now. No doubt this list will change again with more league play.
#1. SI
#2. JS
#3. SF
#4. AR
#5. VC
#6. AM
#7. SHC
#8. BCP
That is a fantastic ranking! I think you are dead on. 👏👏

Yes, they didn't re-enter the WCAL for football until 2008. All the CCS had to do was make a few rule changes to make them eligible for the CCS playoffs.
Are we still on this topic, the thread has moved past @TheR blowout of SHC…..no surprise: No SHC post until they win a game in league (I.e. www.SHC🤫🤫🤫🤫)

The real news in the City & the questions around the #KingsOfKezar crown,… is it the Upset win of SI over Serra. Is the SI win a statement? We have heard a lot about the win, but nothing of why? We are hearing the “if” mantra, but no reason of “why”.

The city will be on 37th Ave on Friday ( again a WCAL game) to get answers

# Can I Say It Yet

Are we still on this topic, the thread has moved past @TheR blowout of SHC…..no surprise: No SHC post until they win a game in league (I.e. www.SHC🤫🤫🤫🤫)

The real news in the City & the questions around the #KingsOfKezar crown,… is it the Upset win of SI over Serra. Is the SI win a statement? We have heard a lot about the win, but nothing of why? We are hearing the “if” mantra, but no reason of “why”.

The city will be on 37th Ave on Friday ( again a WCAL game) to get answers

# Can I Say It Yet
The "WHY" is because our HC has implemented a program and culture of the kind of football he'd like to play.

When you have a culture and actual program. This is the start of a continuous machine just like how Serra has been the last 20+ years under Coach Walsh or how De La Salle was under Coach Ladouceur.

I'm sure SI was hoping to be in this position by year 3 but we'll take it in year 2. Coach Vandermade has definitely exceeded our expectations and ROI.

Riordan @ SI this week is going to be another great game in the WCAL.

The "WHY" is because our HC has implemented a program and culture of the kind of football he'd like to play.

When you have a culture and actual program. This is the start of a continuous machine just like how Serra has been the last 20+ years under Coach Walsh or how De La Salle was under Coach Ladouceur.

I'm sure SI was hoping to be in this position by year 3 but we'll take it in year 2. Coach Vandermade has definitely exceeded our expectations and ROI.

Again, Im not sure what your beef is with Regalia. Were you a former player and he never put you in? If so, totally understand that bitterness. Feeling like that is allowed.

It wasnt like Regalia's teams were awful. What about the Teddye Buchanan years? The Jack Stinn years? SI has always had a well-balanced team (not heavy running and not heavy passing).

Next week's game I'll be honest, the best outcome would be a tie. The 2nd best outcome would be if Riordan knocks the snot out of SI and takes down a few key players so the BM game can be a better game.

Last edited:
Again, Im not sure what your beef is with Regalia. It wasnt like his teams were awful. What about the Teddye Buchanan years? The Jack Stinn years? SI has always had a well-balanced team (not heavy running and not heavy passing).

Next week's game I'll be honest, the best outcome would be a tie. The 2nd best outcome would be if Riordan knocks the snot out of SI and takes down a few key players so the BM game can be a better game.
I don't have any beef with any Regalia. I think he had 1 winning season the entire time he was HC. I really don't care one way or another.

I want to win and have a winning football program year in and year out.

Our new guy beat Serra in his 2nd year at the helm and has forced the naysayers or secret haters to acknowledge us. Its not my fault your new very expensive Bellarmine HC didn't turn out like ours.

If being excited about our new guy comes off as disrespecting the old guard then that seems to be a you problem.

Sorry not sorry.

Last edited:
I don't have any beef with any Regalia. I think he had 1 winning season the entire time he was HC. I really don't care one way or another.

I want to win and have a winning football program year in and year out.

Our new guy beat Serra in his 2nd year at the helm and has forced the naysayers or secret haters to acknowledge us. Its not my fault your new very expensive Bellarmine HC didn't turn out like ours.

If being excited about our new guy comes off as disrespecting the old guard then that seems to be a you problem.

Sorry not sorry.
Im sorry? My Bellarmine head coach? Thats not my guy. My guy though has to figure out a way how to stop the run which isnt likely be next week either.

And sorry to disappoint you but you arent going to be dominating in football like you do with LAX and Crew. Not as long as Riordan is doing what they've been doing since the new administation took over.

It is great to see another City Team stand up and be counted and of course; I will be the first to say, “ Great Game Cats, to be the best you have to beat the best”.

But to be honest, your WHY is lacking substance,…building culture is not a WHY,,… of an upset? And not to be snarky, your Why as to Referencing a Twenty Year Historic run of Coach Walsh & Serra, may be premature after one win. Meaning was this a Serra let down or a SI advantage in execution. WHY enquiring minds want to know?

I believe Coach Walsh’s a living legacy is at the “end of the day or at the end of the season as matter of fact”. To me any other speculation would be “chalk talk material” for your next opponent and I personally wouldn’t give a rival an edge,…but that is just me; I could be wrong.

Again, tip of the cap to the Westside boys, looking forward to a City Friday Nights Lights.

#Can I say it yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: Niklas227
Im sorry? My Bellarmine head coach? Thats not my guy. My guy though has to figure out a way how to stop the run which isnt likely be next week either.

And sorry to disappoint you but you arent going to be dominating in football like you do with LAX and Crew. Not as long as Riordan is doing what they've been doing since the new administation took over.
Caller what is your point,….📞,….click?😳😳

Not a Swifty; but #HatorsGonnaHate🎼🤣🤣🤣🤣

It is great to see another City Team stand up and be counted and of course; I will be the first to say, “ Great Game Cats, to be the best you have to beat the best”.

But to be honest, your WHY is lacking substance,…building culture is not a WHY,,… of an upset? And not to be snarky, your Why as to Referencing a Twenty Year Historic run of Coach Walsh & Serra, may be premature after one win. Meaning was this a Serra let down or a SI advantage in execution. WHY enquiring minds want to know?

I believe Coach Walsh’s a living legacy is at the “end of the day or at the end of the season as matter of fact”. To me any other speculation would be “chalk talk material” for your next opponent and I personally wouldn’t give a rival an edge,…but that is just me; I could be wrong.

Again, tip of the cap to the Westside boys, looking forward to a City Friday Nights Lights.

#Can I say it yet?
Never thought I'd say it, but "Thank You" for the acknowledgement.

That said, this is my week to gloat as I and the rest of the SI family are on top of the world.

Who knows? I might be eating crow next week. So, I'm going to relish in it while I can.

I appreciate the candor.

Never thought I'd say it, but "Thank You" for the acknowledgement.

That said, this is my week to gloat as I and the rest of the SI family are on top of the world.

Who knows? I might be eating crow next week. So, I'm going to relish in it while I can.

I appreciate the candor.
Do you!!! I personally respect that🙌🙌🙌🙌

Here is my Week 2 WCAL Rankings:

1. St. Ignatius
2. Serra
3. Riordan
4. St. Francis
5. Valley Christian
6. Mitty
7. Sacred Heart
8. Bellarmine

Hopefully, SI remains at the top of this list after this weekend.

He played in 1995. His senior year may have been 1996. I don’t recall that far back to be honest. I do recall Jamar being recruited by Nebraska. May have ended up at Cal. But my memory struggles thinking that far back. But if the kid got outside. It was stiff arms and to the house like nobody’s buisness. I believe it was thought that the next Sheppard at SH was his son, but never paid attention to much at that time to confirm such.
Jamar Sheppard was on the varsity from his sophomore year on. A great 1-2 punch was him and Christon Rance, who is now coaching JV's.
Jamar was on Cal's team briefly, but he apparently left. The next "Sheppard" was Jermaine.

Reactions: MC415
The entire WCAL story the pundits and reporters tried to spin prior to the season all thru the pre-season was a nice story.

St. Ignatius is winning the WCAL this year.
It’s time people take Notice of Coach Vandemeade!!!!…. You guys have a Great one!!!… Congrats on a Great win!!!…. 🍻

It’s time people take Notice of Coach Vandemeade!!!!…. You guys have a Great one!!!… Congrats on a Great win!!!…. 🍻
I heard Igor Olshansky is a linemen coach. I watched him grow up briefly in my neighborhood. He had a solid career in the NFL and I am sure that is gonna work well for linemen who think of going to SI.

I’ve been saying all along we had a great young coach!

I’m glad he’s forcing the naysayers to take notice by his last 3 wins against Cathedral Catholic Ranked #2 (San Diego), North Kings Serra, and a ridiculously talented Riordan team.

All this in only his 2nd year at the helm. It can’t be luck all the time going back to last year.

Last edited:
I’ve been saying all along we had a great young coach!

I’m glad he’s forcing the naysayers to take notice by his last 3 wins against Cathedral Cathilic Ranked #2 (San Diego), North Kings Serra, and a ridiculously talented Riordan team.

All this in only his 2nd year at the helm. It can’t be luck all the time going back to last year.
He was thought at one point to be a successor to Rollo at MD…. Great for SI that it didn’t work out!…. 🤣

You guys are definitely in the drivers seat now!!…. 👍

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT