ADVERTISEMENT

San Francisco Top 5 (Week 6)

CityVibesII

Hall of Famer
Mar 11, 2003
Strength of schedule keeps Cats on top, but lead thinning. Cats got tired at end of last year too. Doesn't get any easier at Jungle and home v. Bellarmine. Mission just toying with league; working on their weaknesses. Let's just say University and Stuart Hall need a neutral court for their match-ups.

Week 6
1. St. Ignatius 20-4 (11-2). No need to panic out in the Sunset. Just yet.
2. Mission 24-1 (11-0). Key is to just stay healthy for remainder of season.
3. University 24-2 (7-1). Just a fun rivalry at this point
3. Stuart Hall 20-6 20=6 (7-1). Looking forward to No. 3 game
4. SHC 9-13 (2-10). Healthy is a big reason nobody wants to face SHC right now.
Lowell 16-6 (9-2). Just has to stay patient and hope for one more shot at Mission.

Week 5
1. St. Ignatius 19-2 (9-1). Two close wins at home. Are teams starting to figure out Cats?
2. Mission 22-1 (9-0). They have a month to figure out their horrendous free-throw %.
3. Stuart Hall 19-5 (6-0). Showdown at University will stir rankings.
4. University 22-2 (5-1). University sure to bring home-court advantage into game plan.
5. Lowell 14-6 (7-2). Figured out Mission for a quarter and half; then imploded.
Riordan 7-11 (1-7) Almost at V.C; reality with Serra
SHC 8-10 (1-7) Played league's No. 1 and No.2 tough last week. Harbinger of things to come?

Week 4
1. St. Ignatius 17-2 (8-1). A one-point loss away at Bellarmine does little to diminish Cats..
2. Mission 20-1 (7-0). Sleptwalked through week; cant afford to look past Lowell.
3. Stuart Hall 17-5 (4-0). First of potential 4 games with U. goes to Knights
4. University 20-2 (4-1). I'm sure coach is working on his game plan already v. SH.
5. Lowell 13-5 (6-1). Is not intimidated by Mission. Have them at their house this week.
Bubble
Riordan 7-11 (1-7) Buckner and staff getting all they can out of this group.
SHC 8-10 (1-7) Any win v. Serra is noteworthy. Must stay patient with the youngsters.

Week 3
1. St. Ignatius 16-1 (7-0). Strength of schedule solidifies ranking.
2. Mission 18-1 (5-0). Should cruise through next week.
3. University 19-1 (3-0). Tuesday's game (v. SH)will set BCL and ranking in place.
4. Stuart Hall 15-5 (2-0). Tuesday's game (v. Univ) will set BCL and ranking in place.
5. Lowell 11-5 (4-1). Still making their case.
Bubble: Lick Wilmerding 16-3 (0-2). Will now need to earn their ranking.
Riordan 7-9 (1-5) thank God for SHC.
SHC 7-9 (0-6) CCS cant come soon enough. Go young and build.

Week 2

1. St. Ignatius 11-1 (3-0) . Great week include big win at St. Francis. In a groove.
2. Mission 15-1 (3-0). Non-league challenge v. Central Catholic (Modesto) awaits.
3. University 17-1 (2-0). Big win over L.W. solidified placement.
4. Stuart Hall 14-4 (1-0). Look forward to University/SH clash.
5. SHCP 6-6 (0.-3) Hello WCAL!!
Bubble: Lick Wilmerding 14-2 (1-1). Missed first challenged. But will remain in BCL hunt.
Lowell 8-5 (1-1) should solidify 2nd place with win over Washington.
Riordan 6-6 (0-3) Very, very young, but a week older.

Week 1
As the preseason is nearly over and some City teams (i.e WCAL and AAA) begin league play, here is a "Pre-season" Top 5. Last year we had a Top Ten, but honestly after the top 5-6, 7 thru10 wasnt warranted. Keeping it to Top 5 (and a couple bubble teams) should work.
1. St. Ignatius (8-1). Strong guard play. Decent post play. Look very durable.
2. Mission (12-1). Overwhelming defensively. Quality pre-season. Paint only weak link.
3. University (13-1). Relatively strong pre-season. Tough at home.
4. SHC (6-3). Still finding themselves with new coach; but some quality wins.
5. Stuart Hall (11-4). Will be tough at home. Strong guard play if healthy.
Bubble: Lick Wilmerding (13-1). Just have not seen them. Clearer after league starts
Riordan (6-4). Very, very young. Need to ride out youth train.

A lot will be ironed out after second week of January.

Last edited:
Do you really think that Urban is better than Riordan and SHC? SHC beat Serra and Mitty, and took the 3rd best team in NorCal (Bellarmine) to OT. These are horrible rankings. There is a definitely a strong bias against the WCAL.

MY APOLOGIES. Major typo. I meant to say Stuart Hall. In my haste to get out. Again apologies. Angst v. the WCAL? Far be it. How can you say that with having SI on top and SHC finally coming around (with room to move up). Again, no dog in the fight. Refer to my response last week. Thanks

Last edited:
Mission has beaten both University and Stuart Hall on their home courts this year. If Irish stay healthy, Mission and SHC might be a fun match up in NorCal III.

In terms of unrelenting quickness, tenacity and defensive toughness, Mission is hell on wheels. Vulnerable inside in a halfcourt game, but a real problem in certain matchups.

I think you have the first two right, but as of right now Mission has the upper hand on University and Stuart Hall because of head-to-head matchups.

Your right they did earlier in the season. Both close games. In terms of right now seeing Stuart Hall and University lately I think both teams have gotten better since then. It's hard to tell with Mission because they haven't played any tough competition as of late.

Mission has beaten both University and Stuart Hall on their home courts this year. If Irish stay healthy, Mission and SHC might be a fun match up in NorCal III.

Your right they did earlier in the season. Both close games. In terms of right now seeing Stuart Hall and University lately I think both teams have gotten better since then. It's hard to tell with Mission because they haven't played any tough competition as of late. After SHCP going through the WCAL's tough schedule I don't think Mission would be as tough a match up as most think. SHCP would be a match up nightmare for Mission.

Max Preps Strength of Schedule

SI 13.6
SHCP 17.2
University 4.9
Stuart Hall 9.3
Mission 5.5

What happened to the City rankings by the AAU coaches at Bay City?

Your right they did earlier in the season. Both close games. In terms of right now seeing Stuart Hall and University lately I think both teams have gotten better since then. It's hard to tell with Mission because they haven't played any tough competition as of late. After SHCP going through the WCAL's tough schedule I don't think Mission would be as tough a match up as most think. SHCP would be a match up nightmare for Mission.
Actually S.I. would be a match-up dilemma for Mission. Disciplined, a guard that can break the press, strong 2-3, and penetrating offense and a semblence of inside play. Mission has played and beaten two teams very similar to SI: Los Gatos and Central Catholic. Being that said, I have no doubt a healthy SI would still beat Mission.

On the otherhand, SHC would play right into Mission strengths, SHC would try to run with them, minus the consistant offensive sets. No advantage for both teams in paint. SHC is dependent one on one play with kick outs on perimeter shooting. That plays right into Mission. It would fun for first quarter and half, but Mission goes 10 deep and runs Princeton sets. SHC would tinker on foul trouble with little depth. Next year I give SHC the edge; not this year. Being that said, they could face each other down the line, which would be fun.

Look, like I said last week, 19 of 20 years I would lean on WCAL teams, but in all honesty, this is a down year in WCAL, and where SI has benefited from a slow build-up to compete in league, SHC is 2-9 (in a down year). WCAL takes no prisoners. If Dumbar was a Jr. this team would be solid next year with the quality youth. Still minus any post presence, but good. Being that said, CCS III is not very strong, and as SHC IS getting stronger, as long as they stay healthy, could make a nice run.

Last edited:
Actually S.I. would be a match-up dilemma for Mission. Disciplined, a guard that can break the press, strong 2-3, and penetrating offense and a semblence of inside play. Mission has played and beaten two teams very similar to SI: Los Gatos and Central Catholic. Being that said, I have no doubt a healthy SI would still beat Mission.

On the otherhand, SHC would play right into Mission strengths, SHC would try to run with them, minus the consistant offensive sets. No advantage for both teams in paint. SHC is dependent one on one play with kick outs on perimeter shooting. That plays right into Mission. It would fun for first quarter and half, but Mission goes 10 deep and runs Princeton sets. SHC would tinker on foul trouble with little depth. Next year I give SHC the edge; not this year. Being that said, they could face each other down the line, which would be fun.

Look, like I said last week, 19 of 20 years I would lean on WCAL teams, but in all honesty, this is a down year in WCAL, and where SI has benefited from a slow build-up to compete in league, SHC is 2-9 (in a down year). WCAL takes no prisoners. If Dumbar was a Jr. this team would be solid next year with the quality youth. Still minus any post presence, but good. Being that said, CCS III is not very strong, and as SHC IS getting stronger, as long as they stay healthy, could make a nice run.

I disagree, but we will never know unless they play. Mission has no one to guard Nate Robinson, Emmet Neal Jr., or Dunbar. Oglesby has been playing better as of late also. SHCP has played a much tougher schedule and been able to compete. I'd take SHCP +20 over Mission at this point in the season. There's not as much one on one play as in the beginning of the season and even if that was the case who does Mission have that can defend? Mission does go 10 deep but you can only play 5 at a time. Guess we will have to find out in a few weeks!

I disagree, but we will never know unless they play. Mission has no one to guard Nate Robinson, Emmet Neal Jr., or Dunbar. Oglesby has been playing better as of late also. SHCP has played a much tougher schedule and been able to compete. I'd take SHCP +20 over Mission at this point in the season. There's not as much one on one play as in the beginning of the season and even if that was the case who does Mission have that can defend? Mission does go 10 deep but you can only play 5 at a time. Guess we will have to find out in a few weeks!

Irish apologist here, but I would disagree SH would win by 20+ over Mission. True, strength of schedule leans heavily on SH's side, but SH largest margin of victory this season (not counting that Australian school) was 17 over Kennedy. All their other victories have been single digits. Mission and SH have a common opponent (Logan) where SH lost by 2 and Mission won by 2. Not discounting that SH as the season progressed have gotten a lot better, but Mission has very good players. You can't be 25-1 at this point and not have good players, no matter your competition. I think the game would be closer than you think if they were to meet.

Irish apologist here, but I would disagree SH would win by 20+ over Mission. True, strength of schedule leans heavily on SH's side, but SH largest margin of victory this season (not counting that Australian school) was 17 over Kennedy. All their other victories have been single digits. Mission and SH have a common opponent (Logan) where SH lost by 2 and Mission won by 2. Not discounting that SH as the season progressed have gotten a lot better, but Mission has very good players. You can't be 25-1 at this point and not have good players, no matter your competition. I think the game would be closer than you think if they were to meet.

On a side note, what is up with SHC freshman A's and B's....they have not won any games..(A's) Do they just not have players or players' are injured? The A's have a decent size team also. Please someone tell me the stars on this team are injured or whatever.?..

I disagree, but we will never know unless they play Mission has no one to guard Nate Robinson, Emmet Neal Jr., or Dunbar. Oglesby has been playing better as of late also. SHCP has played a much tougher schedule and been able to compete. I'd take SHCP +20 over Mission at this point in the season. There's not as much one on one play as in the beginning of the season and even if that was the case who does Mission have that can defend? Mission does go 10 deep but you can only play 5 at a time. Guess we will have to find out in a few weeks!
In all honesty, have you seen Mission play this year (let alone last year when they beat a better Riordan)? This year's team is predicated on defense; full-court pressure. This is not a team built like late 90's Balboa Jet offense (all offense, no defense). Points during both preseason and leagues are result of stifling pressure causing forced errors. I have seen both teams play minimum 4 times. Mission defense can handle SHC offense. SHC dependent on 3's. Mission too fast on defense. There is not one kid on SH that is as fast as any Mission defender. As fast but faster, no. Hard to make 3s consistently with a man in your face and SHC does not have the inside game to neutralize the court. Like I said maybe next year but not this year. Saying that, it would behoove CIF officials to schedule a first round game at Kezar between two City DIlI teams. A large gate would be great for CIF and entertaining for City fans. As long as SHC or Riordan win CCS because now that both finalist are not guaranteed placement, both of their overall records would disqualify the loser.

Last edited:
Reactions: colhenrylives
On a side note, what is up with SHC freshman A's and B's....they have not won any games..(A's) Do they just not have players or players' are injured? The A's have a decent size team also. Please someone tell me the stars on this team are injured or whatever.?..

SHC A's don't have many players IMO and their best player was injured for a number of games in the middle of the season which kept them from winning a few games IMO. The class of the WCAL freshman A teams are Mitty (one loss), Bellarmine (two losses), Serra and Riordan (four losses each). Serra lost their stud center prior to league play (ACL injury) which really hurt them and Riordan lost two starters as well or it would have been more competitive at the top of the WCAL heap between those four teams. Mitty (Sapp), Riordan (Clark), and SHC (Monroe) are all freshman playing varsity.

Last edited:
In all honesty, have you seen Mission play this year (let alone last year when they beat a better Riordan)? This year's team is predicated on defense; full-court pressure. This is not a team built like late 90's Balboa Jet offense (all offense, no defense). Points during both preseason and leagues are result of stifling pressure causing forced errors. I have seen both teams play minimum 4 times. Mission defense can handle SHC offense. SHC dependent on 3's. Mission too fast on defense. There is not one kid on SH that is as fast as any Mission defender. As fast but faster, no. Hard to make 3s consistently with a man in your face and SHC does not have the inside game to neutralize the court. Like I said maybe next year but not this year. Saying that, it would behoove CIF officials to schedule a first round game at Kezar between two City DIlI teams. A large gate would be great for CIF and entertaining for City fans. As long as SHC or Riordan win CCS because now that both finalist are not guaranteed placement, both of their overall records would disqualify the loser.

I have seen Mission play twice this year and once last year. They are good for a AAA team but after watching SHC play the last few games I don't think Mission will be able to handle them. Playing a WCAL team isn't the same as playing in the AAA. SHC is playing better as of late on both offense and Defense. Mission doesn't have an inside presence either so who is to stop anybody from SHC from going to the basket. They have 2 players capable of scoring 15-25 on any night and as of late Carter has been playing inside and giving them some sort of presence. He had 20 and a bunch of rebounds tonight against Riordan. Honestly I don't think Mission can stay disciplined enough to play with SHC for 4 quarters. It would be entertaining but I'd take SHC by 15 right now.

Reactions: Scott2138

Given the fact that SHC got their coach late in the summer and had to have time to get acclimated to a new system I wouldn't count anything they have done earlier in the season. Mission does have some solid players (3 to be exact), but I don't think any of them could start and be as productive in the WCAL. It's a much different ball game played in that league. I disagree about the record also. Let's be honest they haven't played anybody this year. That record is a joke. 15 or so of their 25 wins are from AAA teams lol. They have played maybe 4 quality teams this year. Not good teams, quality teams. They would not stand a chance against S.I., Bellarmine, Mitty, Valley Christian or Serra. It's not like SHC has been blown out all season. They have lost some tough close ones. Let's also not forget they played a hand full of games missing key starters as well. Has Mission played any nationally ranked teams this year? burbank was nationally ranked at the time SHC played them. Drake, Oakland High, Fremont, and the WCAL are all quality games. Which means win or lose those games you continue to get better. It's hard to get better as a team when you don't play a tough schedule. It will be interesting to see where both teams get seeded in Nor- Cal.

Given the fact that SHC got their coach late in the summer and had to have time to get acclimated to a new system I wouldn't count anything they have done earlier in the season. Mission does have some solid players (3 to be exact), but I don't think any of them could start and be as productive in the WCAL. It's a much different ball game played in that league. I disagree about the record also. Let's be honest they haven't played anybody this year. That record is a joke. 15 or so of their 25 wins are from AAA teams lol. They have played maybe 4 quality teams this year. Not good teams, quality teams. They would not stand a chance against S.I., Bellarmine, Mitty, Valley Christian or Serra. It's not like SHC has been blown out all season. They have lost some tough close ones. Let's also not forget they played a hand full of games missing key starters as well. Has Mission played any nationally ranked teams this year? burbank was nationally ranked at the time SHC played them. Drake, Oakland High, Fremont, and the WCAL are all quality games. Which means win or lose those games you continue to get better. It's hard to get better as a team when you don't play a tough schedule. It will be interesting to see where both teams get seeded in Nor- Cal.
Look (really), I have no dog in the fight; and you are looking at this from green colored glasses. I understand. Mission has played 3 teams in the Bay Area Top 20 and beaten them all. The one common opponent (Logan) Mission won (on neutral court; SHC lost (on their home court). Truefully, happy SHC is finally coming around. Maybe Carter and Dumbar in their last year can help SHC make a late, strong run through sectionals. You should be grateful they have that chance. I come from a era in City ball when only title teams moved on and there was only one division in CCS. In those years, when you made a sectional championship, you knew they were good. For instance, the 1972 CCS Champs: '72 Sacred Heart. 1973-74 Riordan; SI 75-76. Plenty of good teams since then but my point is, you earned your spot by winning league first, with the reward to move onto Sectionals. Too watered down now. The Open Division format is at least trying.

Reactions: jordan24
So what happens to Stuart hall and the anticipation of their 3d meeting with university now that Stuart hall lost its BCL West semi final game to Lick wilmerding?

So what happens to Stuart hall and the anticipation of their 3d meeting with university now that Stuart hall lost its BCL West semi final game to Lick wilmerding?
And that is exactly why you PLAY THE GAMES!!!. At Stuart Hall, no less.

Last edited:
Look (really), I have no dog in the fight; and you are looking at this from green colored glasses. I understand. Mission has played 3 teams in the Bay Area Top 20 and beaten them all. The one common opponent (Logan) Mission won (on neutral court; SHC lost (on their home court). Truefully, happy SHC is finally coming around. Maybe Carter and Dumbar in their last year can help SHC make a late, strong run through sectionals. You should be grateful they have that chance. I come from a era in City ball when only title teams moved on and there was only one division in CCS. In those years, when you made a sectional championship, you knew they were good. For instance, the 1972 CCS Champs: '72 Sacred Heart. 1973-74 Riordan; SI 75-76. Plenty of good teams since then but my point is, you earned your spot by winning league first, with the reward to move onto Sectionals. Too watered down now. The Open Division format is at least trying.

I have no dog in the fight either. I'm from the city so any city team representing I'm all for. Truthfully neither team is very good. Mission appears to be good because of an easy schedule. SHC needs another year under a new coach and system. However head to head I'd place my bet on SHC. When Mission played Logan they didn't have one of their best players which is their starting pg. I was actually at that game. Not to mention I wouldn't count any wins or losses that early in the season. What a team has done over the last 3 weeks and how they have played now is what counts. SHC took both SI and Bellarmine to the wire and beat Serra and Mitty (recently).

I think they set up now is definitely different. However the WCAL has taken away the league tournament. This doesn't give teams in the league that play well at the end of the season a chance to win league or share the title. On the other hand SHC will not play in the OPEN CCS. I think they will have to play in their division and win in order to be seeded in Nor Cal.

You get your University and Stuart Hall showdown Saturday at Kezar, a week after they both lost to Lick Wilmerding.

Reactions: CityVibesII
You get your University and Stuart Hall showdown Saturday at Kezar, a week after they both lost to Lick Wilmerding.
You are absolutely correct. Big omission on my part. should have been (and will be reflected on updated ranking for Week 7).

Last edited:
Mission ia scrappy. Plays hard. Aggressive. Against teams with a big or legitimate Hooper, they will be in trouble....but they play hard and compete...

Reactions: CityVibesII
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT