ADVERTISEMENT

San Joaq D1...Bside a number 7 seed...

Potential Brookside Christian vs McClatchy matchup in the 2nd round is a MONSTER matchup.

Lots of trash talk the last couple of yrs about to be put up or shut up time.

I might have to make the trip to Sac for that one.

The BC senior girls have come full circle.... started their career with Que...now potentially ending it against him.

RESPECT thoughts?

Brookside will not be Edison. My upset special! Speed kills and Edison has plus a great coach.

Shame they set this up so that BC has to potentially beat Edison, MC at MC, OR at OR
just for a shot a SMS.... I thought BSide would get a number 4 or 5 seed....

Shame they set this up so that BC has to potentially beat Edison, MC at MC, OR at OR
just for a shot a SMS.... I thought BSide would get a number 4 or 5 seed....
I agree that Brookside Christian deserved a #5 seed--definitely not a #7. They got robbed. I think the selection committee really favors teams that play in a league, especially strong leagues. I was very surprised that Oak Ridge (with 9 losses), received a #3 seed. But then again, I'm not surprised because the Sierra Foothill League is the strongest league in the SJS (large newer schools in developing areas with high income levels) and Oak Ridge came in first place in the Sierra Foothill League.

The numbers may back it up, but having Oak Ridge has the No. 3 seed doesn't pass the eye test for me. I think Lincoln and Folsom are better than them.

The numbers may back it up, but having Oak Ridge has the No. 3 seed doesn't pass the eye test for me. I think Lincoln and Folsom are better than them.
Agree! Oak Ridge has always received favorable seedings the past several years. They are the 2nd closest high school to MaxPreps headquarters, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with it. :p

The best question is why wasn't Lincoln number 2 because they was the only team to beat number 1 seed SMS. McClatchy should have been number 3 seed then Oak Ridge should have been 4. Like they say "Money talk and _ _ walk."

Reactions: basketba11
The best question is why wasn't Lincoln number 2 because they was the only team to beat number 1 seed SMS. McClatchy should have been number 3 seed then Oak Ridge should have been 4. Like they say "Money talk and _ _ walk."

I agree with you Respect. Why did Lincoln fall all the way to 4? Now possible rematch against SMS in semi-finals instead of finals. Also Brookside got screwed just like McClatchy did last year with #7 seed (had to go to OakRidge). McClatchy gets screwed again this year because have to play Brookside in toughest 2nd round matchup. Someone in section office doesn't like McClatchy.
Should have been:
1.St Mary's
2.Lincoln
3.McClatchy
4.OakRidge
5.Brookside
6.St Francis
7.Folsom (only team that was not league champion)

Who does the SJS seeding? I thought they got rid of the formula, but this looks like it was cranked out by an antiquated software program.

Who does the SJS seeding? I thought they got rid of the formula, but this looks like it was cranked out by an antiquated software program.
The first phase of the seedings is how you finish in your league, then if you dont make it they look at max preps rankings. The section committee will then move teams around to try and avoid same league opponent match ups in the first and second round. Certainly potential "gate matchups" are always discussed. League winner will always get a higher seed then a second place team in that same league (oak ridge won the sfl and folsom came in second) Personally i would prefer to see the old power rating system come back, because the top three teams in a league going to the playoffs is basically saying all leagues are equal. Also under the power ratings system you knew what division you were in going into the season.

Thanks ... so all the first-place teams are slotted in the top seeds, then all the second-place teams and so on.

SJS has always had this goofy attitude towards leagues, as if they were all created equal, and at one point, a team that was 24-2 in a particular league was no better than a team that was 2-24, according to the power rankings.

Folsom was given high seeds the last two years even though finished 2nd in their league both years. Not sure why. Especially since they don't play a very tough non-league schedule.

Earthquake

If that's true why didn't Lincoln get set 2. Lincoln in the rankings is higher then Oak Ridge. So I guess we can throw that theory away !!!!!!!! Name a signific win that Oak Ridge has better then Lincoln ??? Maxprep ranking has Lincoln high the Oak Ridge and so does every other ranking. McClatchy has the same think ranking and no signific win.

Can we have the real way how seeding goes!!! That THE REASON why the State have another COMMITTEE FOR SEEDING FOR NORCAL!!!

Reactions: basketba11
Earthquake

If that's true why didn't Lincoln get set 2. Lincoln in the rankings is higher then Oak Ridge. So I guess we can throw that theory away !!!!!!!! Name a signific win that Oak Ridge has better then Lincoln ??? Maxprep ranking has Lincoln high the Oak Ridge and so does every other ranking. McClatchy has the same think ranking and no signific win.

Can we have the real way how seeding goes!!! That THE REASON why the State have another COMMITTEE FOR SEEDING FOR NORCAL!!!
I think you mis understood my comment, i was comparing Oak Ridge with Folsom who are in the same league. The committee will look and determine how they want to seed teams but they are consistent with how they seed teams in the same league, they generally go in order. As far as Lincoln goes i could not tell you why they got or didnt get a specific seed and how their overall body of work compares to Oak Ridge. I did not look at Lincoln's non league schedule so i could not tell you about that, i do know that Oak Ridge played some very good teams in non league. As a whole i think the SFL is a stronger league than Lincoln's league top to bottom, but that being said if the committee was looking at Oak Ridge and Lincoln and deciding how to seed them i do not know what their rationale is in why one got a higher seed

Thanks ... so all the first-place teams are slotted in the top seeds, then all the second-place teams and so on.

SJS has always had this goofy attitude towards leagues, as if they were all created equal, and at one point, a team that was 24-2 in a particular league was no better than a team that was 2-24, according to the power rankings.
Clay

Not all first place teams are slotted in the top, the committee does try and reward a "league champ" with a home game. The strength of the league does carry weigh. It is apparent that the committee viewed the SFL as stronger than the Delta evidenced by Folsom getting a higher seed than St Francis. All i was saying is within the league, the order of how you finish is important

Lincoln is another team that has always gotten the shaft in respect to the Seedings, but at least they gave them a 4th seed this year so at least they do have the opportunity to make the final four. Last year they considered them as a second place team even though they won their conference. So perhaps that might have influenced their rating this year but to a lesser degree. Also they will be at home the first two games. Their gym has some weird sight lines which makes it hard for teams that are not used to the gym in respect to out side shooting.

I do think I can see their reasoning ( though probably faulty ) I think they made a lot of adjustments to keep Oak Ridge and Folsom in opposite brackets. If they over rated Oak Ridge that would extend to Folsom because the rolled Oak Ridge in their last game. Lincoln is only technically in the same league as SMS so they felt OK keeping them in the same side of the bracket. Or perhaps the committee was worried that Folsom might release some of their prisoners to pay them a visit if they didn't favor Oak Ridge and Folsom. Never the less we will see how well both Oak Ridge and Folsom do on the court.

I agree with you Respect. Why did Lincoln fall all the way to 4? Now possible rematch against SMS in semi-finals instead of finals. Also Brookside got screwed just like McClatchy did last year with #7 seed (had to go to OakRidge). McClatchy gets screwed again this year because have to play Brookside in toughest 2nd round matchup. Someone in section office doesn't like McClatchy.
Should have been:
1.St Mary's
2.Lincoln
3.McClatchy
4.OakRidge
5.Brookside
6.St Francis
7.Folsom (only team that was not league champion)

That might work, but BC would still have a second round matchup with Oak Ridge. Often the odds are determined via match ups. BC might actually match up better with Mc Clatchy. Unless Oak Ridge is vastly over rated. Match ups are important.

Reactions: RespectBBGame
Earthquake

Seeding is everything when it comes to playoffs. The road is usually easier for the 1 and 2 seed but not this year. McClatchy has the harder route with 4 lose thenot Oak Ridge with 9 loses. Somebody drop the ball or major league bias. But we all now money talks and __ walks!!!! Look at the bracket on 2 and 3 side. The 2 side has all the scrappy, run and gun teams. The 3 side have that slower methodical type to the game.

It's All about the Benjamin's !!!!!!!!!!!

Must be some serious league bias then. Because Oak Ridge and Folsom definitely seem to be given higher seedings than they should have. And both given easier paths. Brookside would give Oak Ridge problems with their speed. Oak Ridge has played tough non-league schedule but has lost all of the tougher games. Should match up well with St Francis though.

Lincoln is another team that has always gotten the shaft in respect to the Seedings, but at least they gave them a 4th seed this year so at least they do have the opportunity to make the final four. Last year they considered them as a second place team even though they won their conference. So perhaps that might have influenced their rating this year but to a lesser degree. Also they will be at home the first two games. Their gym has some weird sight lines which makes it hard for teams that are not used to the gym in respect to out side shooting.

I do think I can see their reasoning ( though probably faulty ) I think they made a lot of adjustments to keep Oak Ridge and Folsom in opposite brackets. If they over rated Oak Ridge that would extend to Folsom because the rolled Oak Ridge in their last game. Lincoln is only technically in the same league as SMS so they felt OK keeping them in the same side of the bracket. Or perhaps the committee was worried that Folsom might release some of their prisoners to pay them a visit if they didn't favor Oak Ridge and Folsom. Never the less we will see how well both Oak Ridge and Folsom do on the court.
If they kept Oak Ridge and Folsom on opposite sides, they should have kept St Mary's and Lincoln opposite also!

Earthquake

Seeding is everything when it comes to playoffs. The road is usually easier for the 1 and 2 seed but not this year. McClatchy has the harder route with 4 lose thenot Oak Ridge with 9 loses. Somebody drop the ball or major league bias. But we all now money talks and __ walks!!!! Look at the bracket on 2 and 3 side. The 2 side has all the scrappy, run and gun teams. The 3 side have that slower methodical type to the game.

It's All about the Benjamin's !!!!!!!!!!!
You might be right Respect. They must want St Mary's/Lincoln and Oak Ridge/McClatchy semifinal games. Both would have bigger crowds. $$$$

Money is probably a factor. The Sac Joaquin section seems to charge more for admission than the other sections. They also haven't given Sr discounts either.

Not sure on the seeds but you have to play the best. I think BC, much like last year is not only getting caught up in a bad seed but also the match ups. Last year they were a terrible for MM that had enough athletes, shooters and was far too discipline for them. They could have beaten most other teams in the open with the exception of MM. This year Edison is just a bad match up for them because of the lead guard is going to cause them problems. If they win they will have to deal with the bigs of OR and BC has a huge liability in the paint and it will get exposed. Not enough speed can compensate for the this mismatch. OR 6'5 girl will dominate.

Reactions: Willtalk
EARTHQUAKE

If they wast trying to keep team spread apart then why in the first round they have 4 Stockton teams playing against each other. Sound like theyou try to get rid of the scrappy teams that play physical. I guess it to soften the field some what.

Must be some serious league bias then. Because Oak Ridge and Folsom definitely seem to be given higher seedings than they should have. And both given easier paths. Brookside would give Oak Ridge problems with their speed. Oak Ridge has played tough non-league schedule but has lost all of the tougher games. Should match up well with St Francis though.

IMO Brookside would beat Oakridge.

I've said all along from the beginning of the season that Oakridge was overrated. Too much love for the bigs, don't have the guards......Bigs are a luxury in HS. Guards are a NECESSITY.

Reactions: Paytc and Astuart
EARTHQUAKE

If they wast trying to keep team spread apart then why in the first round they have 4 Stockton teams playing against each other. Sound like theyou try to get rid of the scrappy teams that play physical. I guess it to soften the field some what.
If you take a look at the D-1 matchups, with the exception of the 8-9 seed i think most of these match ups in the first round are a reasonable distance. Costs are a factor. Not every school provides transportation so travel logistics are considered. You will never please everyone. My personal opinion is i wish the SJS would consider an open division in the sections similar to what the CCS has, everyone that goes to the open is guaranteed a spot in Nor Cals either in the open or their division. Look at this year, as a basketball fan wouldn't it be fun to see an 8 team bracket of 8 quality teams all that will advance? That also opens up opportunities for other schools to potentially experience a deeper run in the playoffs which could generate more interest in basketball from kids that will make the overall game better.

Open division is very well need in each section. This will give a chance to other team to play a championship. The Open division each team would qualify win or lose for NORCAL. But I think the only to make it fare for each team is to have the same committee Seeding NORCAL should do it.

IMO Brookside would beat Oakridge.

I've said all along from the beginning of the season that Oakridge was overrated. Too much love for the bigs, don't have the guards......Bigs are a luxury in HS. Guards are a NECESSITY.

"Guards are a NECESSITY"

That is true because basketball is played in a 5 player full court not a 3 player half court. There is transition getting from one end to the other. But if the guards don't realize how to become a problem on both ends of the court then someone (preferably their own coach) needs to encourage them on how to become a problem. Because many young kids don't follow or know more than the system or instructions coming from their coach. They don't understand the multiple ways to attack a defense and must be enlightened or encouraged on what they can do to expand their ability to impact a game. Especially the guards and players who can take you off the dribble because the team becomes much more dynamic. And much harder to game plan for or defend. Sometimes instincts have to be used. And players need the freedom in the offensive system to use their instincts at times. You see that encouragement from coaches like Leroy Hurt, Pico Wilburn, Coach Buck, Kelly Sopak, Doc Scheppler, Donovan Blythe, Craig Campbell, Sue Phillips, Steve Pezzola, Tom Gonsalves, Malik McCord, and I'm sure there are several others I'm leaving off the list.

But because the court is big, and you play 4 quarters, guard play becomes very important. That is why coaches like Blythe, Doc, and Sopak can still win without even having one true big. Bigger players are most important in the half court. Especially when they have been trained to know how to use their body, and when to kick the ball out to the perimeter at times for the wide-open 3 pointer. And not just become a black hole player who tries to just force up anything. Kick the ball out (at times) then rotate to the basket and the perimeter player has two options. If they are wide open and you hit them with a pass in rhythm they knock down the shot. Now the rotating big is moving into position to get the pass or the rebound. If they don't have a good look on the perimeter then they pass it back into the cutting big who rotated to the basket upon kicking it out to the perimeter. Or if that is not open they can pass to someone else. These concepts are clearly recognized and used by teams like Mitty and Clovis West. And that is why they are the favorites to win the Open, and sit so high on the ranking list.

Last edited:

Per Sunday Sac Bee high school sports - Joe Davidson:
Second-round doozy? – In girls D-I, sixth-seeded St. Francis could face No. 3 Oak Ridge on Thursday in El Dorado Hills in second-round action. It would mark the second successive season the Trojans have hosted a defending champion so early.

A year ago, Oak Ridge eliminated 2015 CIF State Division I champion McClatchy, which drew an unusually low seed by the selection committee. Did it happen again here? St. Francis is the defending Northern California D-I champion and winner of this season’s Delta League race with two victories over D-II contender Elk Grove. The Troubadours have won 13 consecutive games, but a 63-52 loss in December to Folsom, seeded fifth in the field, dropped St. Francis to sixth.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article133638134.html#storylink=cpy

Oak Ridge has received favorable seedings the past several years. The best one was in 2014-15 in the D1 NorCal tournament. They LOST in the SJS section "semi-finals" at UOP, but wound up being a #2 seed and a first-round bye in the NorCal tournament, ahead of North Coast Section "Winner" Berkeley. Berkeley ended up playing "AT" Oak Ridge and lost. When does a section semi-finalist loser be seeded higher than a strong section winner?
http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/...pionships-presented-by-farmers-division-i.htm

Last edited:
I told everybody that the SJS is always bias toward teams with money. When have you ever hear that Oak Ridge player ever was investigated for anyone in there sport programs and that goes for SMS too. Like I away say MONEY TALKS AND _ _ walk!!! Oh and forgot something to else if you leave them. They will try thier hardest to stop them from playing. I'm not the only won talk about look at the paper Sacramento Bee !!!

As Respect has said, "Money Talks and Walk." Maxpreps is a major sponsor of the CIF. Maxpreps rankings could/have a "significant influence" on a section selection committee seedings. After all, it does provide some sort of measure. However, how is the computer algorithms programmed in computing those Maxpreps rankings. There's probably a pre-determined value before the season starts on each team and league, using previous history and subjective criteria.

Now Maxpreps headquarters in Cameron Park is only 7.0 miles from Oak Ridge High School (built in 1980, enrollment 2,522), the 2nd closest high school to Maxpreps. Ponderosa High School is closer to Maxpreps headquarters at 3.0 miles. But Ponderosa was opened in 1963, (enrollment 2,016) and the surrounding area is older and not as newly developed and affluent as El Dorado Hills where Oak Ridge is located. I hope Maxpreps employees have to sign and abide to a "No Conflict of Interest" policy in establishing their ranking algorithms. How likely is it that such a national preps rankings company has employees who went to or has friends and/or relatives that go/went to Oak Ridge?

I have to draw the line at this one ...

First, I don't work in Cameron Park and have been there twice. I don't know many people there and I'm not defending the "honor" of the company.

So let's get down to the reality: The MP leaders are sitting around the table and they're thinking "I love Oak Ridge High School" ...

Let's stop there. Do we really think that those in charge of a multimillion dollar operation think about local high schools when they're making decisions? And how many went to Oak Ridge? (I'm guessing few if any ...) And Andy Biel, the man in charge, actually was a boys' coach -- at Ponderosa.

But let's assume they're all thinking that.

"That computer algorithm is hurting Oak Ridge," someone says. All heads nod in agreement. "So let's vote to change the algorithm to benefit Oak Ridge." All hands go up.

So you think these people would do that?

"Someone call up Ned Freeman and tell him to change the formula."

And how would that conversation go? "Hey Ned, we need to make Oak Ridge look good -- could you please change your proprietary formula that you've worked on for years to help out our local high school? And if it impacts thousands of teams across the country, we don't mind."

Two weeks later they meet again. "Well, we got it done. The rich people at Oak Ridge are happy now, and all the poor schools are just going to have to suffer because it's an operational priority to have the Oak Ridge girls' basketball team get a better seed in sectional playoffs."

Really?

Reactions: Streak One
Clay

To make it clear I wasn't talk about Maxprep because according to the Teams should have been seat different. The loyalty to money comes from in SJS section and many others. Why do you think the State CIF took over Seeding States games in every sport. Who votes the CIF section committee in. CA Compared to others run very different. Answer these questions and you will know the answer? What kind of person can volunteer time to be on the board of the sections?? How votes them in there seat in the committee? Money always will take care of money any way they can? Old money always takes the for front? Nothe saying every seat is like the but most of the decision maker are like that. The CIF STATE BOARD IS TRY TO CONTROL THIS NOW BY HAVING THEIR OWN COMMITTEE SEED THE STATE. But think about this the damage is already done before the getting to Seeding for State!!!!

This year most Sections didn't use maxprep because they don't have control of State Seeding. Can anyone tell how many different football teams won state the year compared to the last 5 years or more???? Money didn't matter it was about the Teams like it supposed to be. Lately watch the football you know who was going to State. It was worst the watch pro wrestling.

I know a lot people always afraid to tell like it's or how they see it. Rich always help the rich and poor always fight one another. Why is that? The rich made the game to pen the poor against the poor so the rich can look better. Think about that within sporting lines in high school!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT