ADVERTISEMENT

Season Length

laidbackcoach

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2001
In my view, CIF should shorten the seasons of each sport by 1-2 weeks. THere are a number of reasons for this (a) high school kids are now playing their sport year round so that the loss of 1-2 weeks in the HS season is not going to cause an issue and in certain sports kids are already playing too many games especially when you count their club/AAU season; (2) the season has gotten longer as have the administrative and off season responsibilities for coaches, athletic directors, while the resources have not increased (nor has the pay for high school coaches gone up); (3) the overlapping multi sport players are missing 3-5 weeks sometimes depending on how deep they go in playoffs in their earlier sport. If you really want to promote multisport HS athletes we cant have football/volleyball bleeding 3-4 weeks into basketball/soccer and basketball bleeding 3-4 weeks into baseball/track/lacrosse etc.; (4) teams are losing kids to eligibility issues every season and a shorter season might help some kids keep their grades up and remain able to play and productive students. Finally, what is the major downside?

Abousetely agree with you high school basketball should reduce the season to 22 games in
most cases 10 pre season games and your regular 12 game league season .Part of the problem
in reducing the season is most school administrators dont want to supervise games during
The Xmas break at all. Some coaches are told not to schedule anything at home during Xmas
break reducing the season for most schools would mean league play would start in
Mid or late December requiring school admin to be present to supervise and alot
of them are not willing to do that.

I'd like to see less teams make playoff's and further reduce post season by eliminating all rounds beyond sectionals. A reduction in outside of season contacts with players by their HS coaches would bring much needed relief to coaches and players. The average HS player would benefit greatly.

I'd like to see less teams make playoff's and further reduce post season by eliminating all rounds beyond sectionals. A reduction in outside of season contacts with players by their HS coaches would bring much needed relief to coaches and players. The average HS player would benefit greatly.
Get rid of this whole Open and Div 1 thru 22! Not everyone needs to have a medal!!

In my view, CIF should shorten the seasons of each sport by 1-2 weeks. THere are a number of reasons for this (a) high school kids are now playing their sport year round so that the loss of 1-2 weeks in the HS season is not going to cause an issue and in certain sports kids are already playing too many games especially when you count their club/AAU season; (2) the season has gotten longer as have the administrative and off season responsibilities for coaches, athletic directors, while the resources have not increased (nor has the pay for high school coaches gone up); (3) the overlapping multi sport players are missing 3-5 weeks sometimes depending on how deep they go in playoffs in their earlier sport. If you really want to promote multisport HS athletes we cant have football/volleyball bleeding 3-4 weeks into basketball/soccer and basketball bleeding 3-4 weeks into baseball/track/lacrosse etc.; (4) teams are losing kids to eligibility issues every season and a shorter season might help some kids keep their grades up and remain able to play and productive students. Finally, what is the major downside?

High schools don’t consider AAU, and they shouldn’t. Coaches do not have to play summer/fall ball if they don’t want to. I realize teams that don’t usually are not the top contenders, but it is a choice of coaches and players willing to participate. I think the new collegiate/ pro recruiting model will eliminate some of the unnecessary AAU travel. Regarding the high school season, the general parameters have not changed in many years except in football where they have put in the state championships. These multi-sport athletes do miss parts of the next sport season, but the players are few and far between. The number of schools that make it that far in playoffs eliminates probably 99% of the multi-sport players, so they can join their next season relatively early.

Reactions: coachlittle
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT