ADVERTISEMENT

Serra baseball shoots down Burlingame in extras

Where Are They Now

Sports Fanatic
Sep 6, 2011
Alamo

By Terry Bernal Daily Journal Staff

It wouldn’t be a high school baseball season on the Peninsula without Serra traveling to Burlingame for the annual non-league, Friday night showdown at Washington Park.

The many fans in attendance — thanks to Washington Park being not a part of the Burlingame campus, but a public park — certainly got their money’s worth as the two teams battled into extra innings.

And while It took 10 innings for the bats to wake up, in the end, the Serra Padres (6-0) finally did what the Serra Padres do, rallying for six runs in the top of the 10th to claim a 7-4 win over Burlingame (5-2).

“Well, honestly, practice makes perfect,” Serra senior Pablo Ossio said. “In situations like this I like to think about Babe Ruth. He said: ‘Every strikeout, I get closer to a home run.’ So, in this situation, you bounce back.”

While it wasn’t a game-winning home run Ossio provided, it certainly felt like one when the left-handed hitting senior stepped to the plate with the bases loaded, score deadlocked at 1-1 in the top of the 10th, and roped a go-ahead single into left field to score Thomas Gould.

“As a lefty, a lot of guys say lefties can’t hit the other way,” Ossio said. “But I like to prove them wrong. That’s been my strength.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT