ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL - Congrats to Serra CCS Open Champions!

jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
CCS Open
Fri Nov 10th

• (7) Wilcox (7-3) @ (2) St. Francis (7-3) -
    • St. Francis' overall SOS and stout defense (despite the loss of Cahoon) and home cooking too much for WIlcox. St. Francis 24 Wilcox 10
Sat Nov 11th
  • (8) Salinas (7-3) @ (1) Serra (10-0)
    • The Padres quest of a return to the State Open starts Saturday! Cowboys' points come late 4th period against the Padres 3rd String in a running clock. Serra 56 Salinas 7
CCS D1
Fri Nov 11th

• (6) Valley Christian (6-4) @ St. Ignatius (6-4)
    • Valley playing its best football and gets its revenge against a banged up WIldcat squad recovering from last week's devastating loss in San Mateo. VC 21 SI 17

• (5) Archbishop Riordan (7-3) @ (4) Los Gatos (8-2)
    • The Crusaders take to the road and deliver the 'Cats a first round loss to a WCAL opponent for the 3rd straight year. Los Gatos has played a tough schedule including Grant and Pitt. The young Crusaders return many players that have sat out due to injuries. The WCAL Gauntlet has Riordan primed for the road upset. Riordan 42 Los Gatos 35

CCS DII
Friday Nov 11th

(8) Christopher (9-1) @ (1) Archbishop Mitty (5-5) @ Foothill College
  • Monarchs positioned well to make a deep run into the CCS and possible State bid. Reinforces the case that the WCAL/Privates should have their own playoffs. Mitty 35 Christopher 7

I know Valley Christian is chomping at the bit to get their hands on SI tomorrow night. Ha! This time the game is at our house and the result will be the same with SI winning.

Nonetheless, I feel SI has had a great season with a new coach foreign to the Bay area creating a winning culture with kids half the size and athletically lacking when compared to every school they've played this year.
I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up some transfers in the off season looking to get on the field and like what the new HC is doing.

Kudos to Coach Vandermade with a #3 D1 CIF-CCS playoff ranking and a winning record. Best of luck tomorrow boys! Go Cats!

#CadiacCats2023 #PunchingWellAboveOurWeightClass

I know Valley Christian is chomping at the bit to get their hands on SI tomorrow night. Ha! This time the game is at our house and the result will be the same with SI winning.

Nonetheless, I feel SI has had a great season with a new coach foreign to the Bay area creating a winning culture with kids half the size and athletically lacking when compared to every school they've played this year.
I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up some transfers in the off season looking to get on the field and like what the new HC is doing.

Kudos to Coach Vandermade with a #3 D1 CIF-CCS playoff ranking and a winning record. Best of luck tomorrow boys! Go Cats!

#CadiacCats2023 #PunchingWellAboveOurWeightClass
I SeeYou, but just “Not Visualizing Anything” to look at,…trying to sell a #newculture “Play On Words” of the #NewwAttitude and we all know when & where that started back in August and not today? IN Hopes to motivate the skinny cats ( flattery IS kind, but Not a Winning Ingredient)

It doesn’t favor me in VC vs. SI W/L, and the #kingsOFKezar crown had handed to Coach A-Rav.

But the pundits state SI is short and they can claim #3 in CCS after they hold the shame of losing Gm#1 WCAL,…

Come On Cats, show your metal. I say, “you’re Not worthy”

#PurpleReign
#RcapturesKingsOfKezar

Last edited:
You really think SI was “half the size and athletically lacking” against SH, Mitty and Bellarmine? Well, I’m not sure if you’re drunk, high or both.

really think SI was “half the size and athletically lacking” against SH, Mitty and Bellarmine? Well, I’m not sure if you’re drunk, high or both.
God Bless @Niklas227, “he does not know what to know”,… I pray

Last edited:
CCS Open
Fri Nov 10th

• (7) Wilcox (7-3) @ (2) St. Francis (7-3) -
    • St. Francis' overall SOS and stout defense (despite the loss of Cahoon) and home cooking too much for WIlcox. St. Francis 24 Wilcox 10
Sat Nov 11th
  • (8) Salinas (7-3) @ (1) Serra (10-0)
    • The Padres quest of a return to the State Open starts Saturday! Cowboys' points come late 4th period against the Padres 3rd String in a running clock. Serra 56 Salinas 7
CCS D1
Fri Nov 11th

• (6) Valley Christian (6-4) @ St. Ignatius (6-4)
    • Valley playing its best football and gets its revenge against a banged up WIldcat squad recovering from last week's devastating loss in San Mateo. VC 21 SI 17

• (5) Archbishop Riordan (7-3) @ (4) Los Gatos (8-2)
    • The Crusaders take to the road and deliver the 'Cats a first round loss to a WCAL opponent for the 3rd straight year. Los Gatos has played a tough schedule including Grant and Pitt. The young Crusaders return many players that have sat out due to injuries. The WCAL Gauntlet has Riordan primed for the road upset. Riordan 42 Los Gatos 35

CCS DII
Friday Nov 11th

(8) Christopher (9-1) @ (1) Archbishop Mitty (5-5) @ Foothill College
  • Monarchs positioned well to make a deep run into the CCS and possible State bid. Reinforces the case that the WCAL/Privates should have their own playoffs. Mitty 35 Christopher 7
Thanks for the review...
Salinas @ Serra should be a no brainer game. As Dycus stated in the Merc, the CCS seeding system puts the #8 team in a difficult place because they are ranked lowest in their division but were on the line of being ranked #1 in the next division down. Salinas probably got shafted by Wilcox and Mitty actions. Nevertheless, we might see one of Salinas' best performances of their season against the Padres.

Wilcox @ St. Francis should be another gimme game. Wilcox will likely put up a good fight that will bring the game closer than expected. But IMO SF defense will seal the deal.

Valley Christian @ St. Ignatius will be a closer match than the above reviewed games. I have watched VC's last two game to find the answer to their current play level. They look good but I can't quite determine if VC is that much better or if their opponents just had off nights. SI will be a bellwether opponent to clear up this matter. IMO, this will be a close game that could go either way. But if VC has a new level of performance, this will be a blow out game.

Riordan @ Los Gatos is going to be a very interesting game. LG is a good team with a well-rounded season. That being said, I doubt they have played a team with AR's aerial attack style. AR's defense will be challenged and if they lose, it will be due to their defense. I think this game can go either way IMO.

Christopher @ Mitty is a game that shouldn't be happening. I take a different view than @jordan24. I don't think all WCAL teams should be forced into Open/D1. They should play at their performance level, whatever that is. However, I have my doubts about Mitty's low performance level and feel they have no business being in D2 this year. This game strongly favors Mitty. And I hope Christopher wins this game. Sorry to stand against a WCAL team here, but I don't like what I see as potentially suspicious performance levels from Mitty.

Last edited:
You really think SI was “half the size and athletically lacking” against SH, Mitty and Bellarmine? Well, I’m not sure if you’re drunk, high or both.
Have you seen any of our games? Outside of our 6'6 LT John Mills. Our next biggest guy is the coaches 6'2 Freshmen son.
We have a 5'8 Center and our leading tackler is a 5'9 linebacker Sui Hunkin they're trying to pass off as 5''11. Our leading receiver is St. Geme @ 5'8.

If this is drunk then you're just delusional.

Have you seen any of our games? Outside of our 6'6 LT John Mills. Our next biggest guy is the coaches 6'2 Freshmen son.
We have a 5'8 Center and our leading tackler is a 5'9 linebacker Sui Hunkin they're trying to pass off as 5''11. Our leading receiver is St. Geme @ 5'8.

If this is drunk then you're just delusional.
Ok, so you’re high. I notice you didn’t mention the athleticism of the trio of receivers, the trio of running backs, the linebackers, the DBs or the QB. Based on their talent, I expected SI to be the #3 team in the league (I thought they would beat Riordan…I was wrong).

• Haha
Reactions: aztecpadre
Thanks for the review...
Salinas @ Serra should be a no brainer game. As Dycus stated in the Merc, the CCS seeding system puts the #8 team in a difficult place because they are ranked lowest in their division but were on the line of being ranked #1 in the next division down. Salinas probably got stafted by Wilcox and Mitty actions. Nevertheless, we might see one of Salinas' best performances of their season against the Padres.

Wilcox @ St. Francis should be another gimme game. Wilcox will likely put up a good fight that will bring the game closer than expected. But IMO SF defense will seal the deal.

Valley Christian @ St. Ignatius will be a closer match than the above reviewed games. I have watched VC's last two game to find the answer to their current play level. They look good but I can't quite determine if VC is that much better or if their opponents just had off nights. SI will be a bellwether opponent to clear up this matter. IMO, this will be a close game that could go either way. But if VC has a new level of performance, this will be a blow out game.

Riordan @ Los Gatos is going to be a very interesting game. LG is a good team with a well-rounded season. That being said, I doubt they have played a team with AR's aerial attack style. AR's defense will be challenged and if they lose, it will be due to their defense. I think this game can go either way IMO.

Christopher @ Mitty is a game that shouldn't be happening. I take a different view than @jordan24. I don't think all WCAL teams should be forced into Open/D1. They should play at their performance level, whatever that is. However, I have my doubts about Mitty's low performance level and feel they have no business being in D2 this year. This game strongly favors Mitty. And I hope Christopher wins this game. Sorry to stand against a WCAL team here, but I don't like what I see as potentially suspicious performance levels from Mitty.
I truly do appreciate and value your posts, as you share some great insights. While you are entitled to your opinions and suspicions (as this is of course part of what’s done here), I felt compelled to push back. Suggesting that a bunch of high schools kids intentionally lost a game that they were not supposed to win in the first place isn’t just. Tell us you don’t think that VC was/is the better team. I’m pretty sure Serra would tell you that VC is better (Serra 24 VC 13). These kids work their butts off week in and week out grinding away in the WCAL with the goal of winning (every week) even when we all know that they won’t win half of the games (remember, prior to the season most people on here picked Mitty to finish last, or next to last in league). To say they went out and did anything other than try their best is insulting to everyone. Especially these young men. So, while the score was probably more lopsided than anticipated, the outcome was what everyone expected. Maybe the fact is Salinas is the better team and simply deserves to play in the higher division. Maybe, sometimes a really good public school is just better than the last WCAL team that ends up getting an at-large bid that places them in D2 or lower. Whether we like it or not, every year one or two of the WCAL teams end up in the D2 bracket. Last year it was Bellarmine and SI and they both ended up in the final. In 2021 it was SI in D2 and SHCP in D3 and so on...This year Mitty ended up in that spot. I know many don’t like it, or the system (we all know it’s not perfect). But let’s not blame the young men who just want to play football. Sorry for the rant, just had to push back a little. Here to some great HS football this weekend. May all be blessed with good health.

Ok, so you’re high. I notice you didn’t mention the athleticism of the trio of receivers, the trio of running backs, the linebackers, the DBs or the QB. Based on their talent, I expected SI to be the #3 team in the league (I thought they would beat Riordan…I was wrong).
We broke 1 running play for a TD with a lot of blocking the entire season. When our backs do break they get caught from behind.
Same goes with our receivers....we have great plays being called but none of our receivers are taking the top off or out running the other teams defense. Not sure what games you're watching. #delusional

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
We broke 1 running play for a TD with a lot of blocking the entire season. When our backs do break they get caught from behind.
Same goes with our receivers....we have great plays being called but none of our receivers are taking the top off or out running the other teams defense. Not sure what games you're watching. #delusional
You kicked off the year saying SI would be a juggernaut. Now you’re moving the goal posts so if you lose you can state we were undermanned? Just enjoy the season. It’s been a good run this season in the Sunset.

To recap, back in August your gritty colonel made this modest WCAL prediction: Four tiers. 1. Serra. 2. Riordan, SF and SI. 3. Mitty, VC and Bellarmine. 4. SHC. Came close. Did not anticipate Bellarmine's utter collapse throughout its program.

Last edited:
You kicked off the year saying SI would be a juggernaut. Now you’re moving the goal posts so if you lose you can state we were undermanned? Just enjoy the season. It’s been a good run this season in the Sunset.
We're still a juggernaut in our own right because of great coaching and game planning. I love the fight our boys have in them to compete every week. But, lets be honest about the D1 caliber players we have on our team compared to others in WCAL. Its not an apple to apple comparison.

A WCAL season summary. These are the combined league records (varsity, JV, frosh) of the league's eight schools (SHC did not field a JV team; Riordan did not field a freshman team):

Serra, 17-2; St. Francis, 15-4; Riordan, 9-4; Mitty, 9-10; SI, 8-11; VC, 6-13; SHC, 3-10; Bellarmine (shockingly), 3-16.

Reactions: cityfan
We're still a juggernaut in our own right because of great coaching and game planning. I love the fight our boys have in them to compete every week. But, lets be honest about the D1 caliber players we have on our team compared to others in WCAL. Its not an apple to apple comparison.
You have ONE bar none D1 player on SI (Mills) and anyone else that you are thinking about is either a JC player or a walk-on.

Reactions: Niklas227
I truly do appreciate and value your posts, as you share some great insights. While you are entitled to your opinions and suspicions (as this is of course part of what’s done here), I felt compelled to push back. Suggesting that a bunch of high schools kids intentionally lost a game that they were not supposed to win in the first place isn’t just. Tell us you don’t think that VC was/is the better team. I’m pretty sure Serra would tell you that VC is better (Serra 24 VC 13). These kids work their butts off week in and week out grinding away in the WCAL with the goal of winning (every week) even when we all know that they won’t win half of the games (remember, prior to the season most people on here picked Mitty to finish last, or next to last in league). To say they went out and did anything other than try their best is insulting to everyone. Especially these young men. So, while the score was probably more lopsided than anticipated, the outcome was what everyone expected. Maybe the fact is Salinas is the better team and simply deserves to play in the higher division. Maybe, sometimes a really good public school is just better than the last WCAL team that ends up getting an at-large bid that places them in D2 or lower. Whether we like it or not, every year one or two of the WCAL teams end up in the D2 bracket. Last year it was Bellarmine and SI and they both ended up in the final. In 2021 it was SI in D2 and SHCP in D3 and so on...This year Mitty ended up in that spot. I know many don’t like it, or the system (we all know it’s not perfect). But let’s not blame the young men who just want to play football. Sorry for the rant, just had to push back a little. Here to some great HS football this weekend. May all be blessed with good health.
Great reply... Maybe I am being a little too hard in my post on Mitty. I have never been in the inside circle where a coach and their team made a strategic loss for better playoff positioning in football. But I have seen it in other sports, where tactical moves similar to chess were made, sacrificing for a winning season.

But the playoff play will make it more clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cal 14 and RLS13
That Special Teams game plan against Serra wasn't very special

That Special Teams game plan against Serra wasn't very special
To be fair, Serra made all the teams they played this year look pedestrian. SI was no different. But their kicker Kenny is pretty good. You dont see high school kids this good at the kicking game. Nice to have a player who can punt the ball 40 yards net, have kickoffs go for touchbacks, and can hit a 40 yard FG with ease.

Final SI wins over VC 21-17. Both teams perform just as expected but not as hyped.

#SNAP,…🎤….drop;Lmao

I thought the game between LG and AR would be close but i had no idea Los Gatos was going to dominate Riordan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT