ADVERTISEMENT

Serra loses a pair

OC went to St John Bosco and D.C. going to Clovis. Both cited the sky high cost of housing in the Bay Area.

Both were planning to leave after Padres won State Championship. Bosco coaches were at State game to recruit Steve. DC was gone anyway

I think the DC leaving was new news.

Tough break for Serra. Cost of living could end up driving more coaches out of the Bay Area

Census figures indicate that SMC population has grown from 720,000 in 2010 to 771,000 in 2017. Not sure if that is a "surge" in the strictest sense but it is assuredly a fairly healthy increase.

Reactions: Rmbr26
Census figures indicate that SMC population has grown from 720,000 in 2010 to 771,000 in 2017. Not sure if that is a "surge" in the strictest sense but it is assuredly a fairly healthy increase.
Guys...Every time a house goes up for sale in the area, the price tag takes a big jump...It pushes the value of every one else's property...It gives property owners a chance to increase the rent and leases....I have a friend who just sold his home for 1.6mil and he bought it years ago for $40,000 which at the time was pretty high...And it was a corner lot...The whole area value is way out of control...Its a shame that good men have to leave the area as they are being priced right out of town....:Like Streak One said, more coaches will be forced to leave the bay area...either the school Dist.s will have to increase the in come of the coaches as well as teachers or we will face a crisis...

All, I can tell you Serra DC was on his way out. The PC answer is he had to move for housing reasons. Vasseur is a defensive genius don't be surprised to see him running Fresno St. DB's or LB's in next 2-3 years.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Guys...Every time a house goes up for sale in the area, the price tag takes a big jump...It pushes the value of every one else's property...It gives property owners a chance to increase the rent and leases....I have a friend who just sold his home for 1.6mil and he bought it years ago for $40,000 which at the time was pretty high...And it was a corner lot...The whole area value is way out of control...Its a shame that good men have to leave the area as they are being priced right out of town....:Like Streak One said, more coaches will be forced to leave the bay area...either the school Dist.s will have to increase the in come of the coaches as well as teachers or we will face a crisis...

Some public school districts are actually finding creative ways to build employee housing on their properties in order to retain their younger workers, administrators, clerks, maintenance/crafts people, teachers, coaches, etc.

The ever observant colhenry is correct as there has been continued increases in population throughout SM Co.
In 2017 in San Mateo there were 12 housing projects all within a 5-mile radius which would accommodate approx. 4,000 new residents. These are in close proximity to Hillsdale High, Serra & Aragon in that order. On another note though the diversity is in continual flux as I continue to see long time residents moving away and being replaced by persons from out of state [or country]. There is a reason Chinese "immersion schools" have been popping up throughout CA in recent years.

The ever observant colhenry is correct as there has been continued increases in population throughout SM Co.
In 2017 in San Mateo there were 12 housing projects all within a 5-mile radius which would accommodate approx. 4,000 new residents. These are in close proximity to Hillsdale High, Serra & Aragon in that order. On another note though the diversity is in continual flux as I continue to see long time residents moving away and being replaced by persons from out of state [or country]. There is a reason Chinese "immersion schools" have been popping up throughout CA in recent years.
RMBR26....Are these single homes or are these projects, there is a push to build projects that are affordable, but this changes the population mix...and the diversity will change every thing...

Stack and pack is developer speak for “let’s make a ton of money” on a limited sf plot.

https://perchdowntown.com/

800+k with no yards?! In Dublin.
Not complaining. A rising tide floats all boats.

RMBR26....Are these single homes or are these projects, there is a push to build projects that are affordable, but this changes the population mix...and the diversity will change every thing...

To Bluedog2 and others interested in the mid-peninsula & building taking place along with its effects on the high schools. The building taking place is largely condo's and rental units and the prices are anything but affordable. I'm a real estate broker and this is an excerpt from one of my newsletters to clients in October 2017 [I apologize in advance for those not interested in local real estate].

With numerous projects within San Mateo and Foster City I thought I'd update those living here in the vicinity as to just how much building has been taking place. Below I have listed 12 projects in San Mateo - Foster City within a 5-mile radius. It is IMPORTANT to note that of the 12 projects, 10 of those are located within 1-mile of Hillsdale Blvd and Hwy-92. I have totaled the data as available and the combined projects will total: 1628 living units & parking to accommodate 3868 vehicles. These are a mix of rental apartments and ownership condominiums along with commercial space and mixed retail space.

Are any of these "Affordable" new housing you ask?
"The Quimby" across from Hillsdale Mall with mixed retail & 70 each 1 & 2-bedroom "flats" with rental prices starting at $4460 per month for luxury apartment living.

*Note: below prices at time of article of which most have gone upward since.

San Mateo:
“Bay Meadows Affordable Housing”:
62-unit apartment complex on S. Delaware SM, 1,2 & 3 bedroom apt’s. Will allow a family of 3 with annual income of $33,000-$55,000 OR a single person earning $25,000 - $43,000 to afford a home in SM. Construction starts early 2018.
“Station Park Green”: former Kmart 1700 & 1790 S. Delaware site is a 12-acre transit oriented mixed-use development to include 599 residential apartments, 10,000 SF office space & 60,000 SF retail/restaurants and parking to accommodate 1330 vehicles currently under construction.
“400/450 Concar”: former Telecenter retail outlet nearing completion started as a 300,000 SF project comprised of 2@ 4-story buildings directly across the street from the “Station Park Green” project on Delaware. The overall site is on 3.3 acres. The buildings will share a parking layout to accommodate 788 vehicles. There is also an additional 35,000 SF of retail to be added. Currently under construction.
“Classics at Midtown Place”: adjacent to downtown SM off San Mateo Dr. this is a new community of condo’s and townhome style condo’s. The development will consist of 27 living units of 2 or 3 bedrooms each. There are no garages and each unit will have 2 parking spaces within the underground garage along with several visitor spots to acommodate 58 vehicles. Currently under construction.
”Quimby”: directly across from Hillsdale Mall on east side of El Camino [old Bay Meadows]. Mixed use apartment/retail community with 70 “flats” [“Flats” is another word for apartment]. Now renting starting at $4460 per month.
“Meadow Walk”: located as part of the large Bay Meadows project the final sales release of town homes has just been released. This is a 105-unit neighborhood and the last several dozen are now for sale $1,228,000 to $1,765,000.
“The Russell”: this project is located adjacent to the “Quimby project across from Hillsdale Mall in the Bay Meadows project area. The neighborhood project consists of 158 apartments. Now renting starting at $3250 per month.
“Field House”: this is another apartment project consisting of 108 living units designated as 91 “flats” and 17 townhome style apartments located as well within the Bay Meadows project area across from Hillsdale Mall. Now renting: studio's from $2500 mo., 1-bedroom $2957-$4420, 2-bedrooms $4007-$5555,
3-bedrooms $5550-$7850.
“The Tidelands” condominium project located across from Mariner’s Point golf course. 76 condominiums now for sale. 1,2,3 bedrooms from low $800,000’s to $1,300,000+.

Foster City:
“Foster’s Square”:
a large scale project on 15 acres in the middle of Foster City with both living units and mixed retail space. There are multiple projects taking place within this area:
“Lennar’s Foster Square”: a large scale condominium project for 55+ residents with 200 condo’s being built. There will be a total of 14 – 4 story buildings with 9 plans for the 2 + 3 bedrooms condo’s starting at $934,880 to $1,525,880 ranging in size from 1144 SF to 2172 SF.
“Atria”: 155 living units for convalescent care, memory care and independent living [rental units]. Independent living studio's start at $6,000+ mo., 1-bedrooms $7000+ mo., 2-bedrooms $8000+ per month [does not include $1500 per month Association Dues].
“Affordable Housing Units”: 65 living units as part of the project which immediately received over 700 applications and all units have been reserved for those applicants who qualified and chosen by lottery.

Once again, data and statistics offered by the incomparable and well-informed Rambling Man put Peninsula matters in some perspective. Thanks, as always. We live in truly wrenching and unusual times in the West Bay climes.

Update on the replacement of Serra's OC & DC anyone?

Looking at the splendid job Serra did in the regional against Tulare and the perhaps the most complete game I've seen a Serra team play against Cajon in the state title game. I wonder how Serra can recoup from such a loss of coaching talent?

Was it the departing coaches who helped Serra play a nearly flawless game on both sides of the ball vs Cajon OR
is this now "the system" the program has been developed into by one coach Patrick Walsh?

DLS has had their "system" in place for years with Ladouceur retiring from the varsity but still behind the lines so to speak and the program rolls on in terms of NorCal Supremacy.

Has Serra reached a point in their program where they have enough talent and coaching under Walsh to simply reload and be a power in their respective CCS division year after year as DLS is in their's?

The most amazing aspect of the 2017 season to me is that Serra lost one of the best players in school history to graduation in their do-all athlete Sitaleki Nunn yet came back to have an even more successful season with their junior QB Luke Botari.

I almost forgot to add that Serra did this without the WCAL's MVP of the year Nio Mafi a 6'3-340 force on both sides of the ball injured at the beginning of the post season, which makes the accomplishment of 2017 even more astonishing.

Last edited:
Rmbr, the Padres should be just fine...If anything, the departing coaches, in particular the OC, opened up Coach Walsh's eyes in having confidence installing a wide open offense in addition to his legacy run game. At the end of the day, talent along with a culture that emphasizes development and execution are the keys to sustained success and the Padres have it. Enjoy the rest of your Summer!

With 2018 practices scheduled to commence in just a few weeks, the very early WCAL line is another three-way Serra/VC/SF battle for the top spot in league play.

With 2018 practices scheduled to commence in just a few weeks, the very early WCAL line is another three-way Serra/VC/SF battle for the top spot in league play.
I would agree with the Col, and would put SF and Serra at 1a and 1b. All 3 squads come back loaded and/or bring up good players from JVs.

I am only speculating, but Brian Wilbur left SHC for Serra after the spring. Wilbur was Coach Peralta’s oc his last year and coached the freshman last year with the coaching change. Also was the lacrosse coach. Interesting path taken if you read about him on wikepedia.

With a son on Serra varsity team i can share with you Coach Walsh did a spectacular job restocking the coaching talent. Now it's just a matter of player and coaches speaking same language. Kids are beyond pumped for first 3 games of season and WCAL goes without saying...

I wonder if Coach Peralta will be coaching at all at Serra? I wouldn't take him out of the race to coach in some capacity whether lower level or mid level if not varsity assistant.

Not sure if he’s coaching football but ik that Darius bell who is a Riordan alumni and former Riordan coach is the new assistant athletic director at Serra

With PERALTA being in administration, I highly doubt he is going to coach at any level as he will be busy being the Dean of Students.

The entire Serra OL that started the 2017 state title game returns for more. Would not be a shock to see the 2018 Padres actually run the ball more than some predict. Coach Walsh, a former standout RB himself, has to love what he has coming back up front.

Looking at the splendid job Serra did in the regional against Tulare and the perhaps the most complete game I've seen a Serra team play against Cajon in the state title game. I wonder how Serra can recoup from such a loss of coaching talent?

Was it the departing coaches who helped Serra play a nearly flawless game on both sides of the ball vs Cajon OR
is this now "the system" the program has been developed into by one coach Patrick Walsh?

DLS has had their "system" in place for years with Ladouceur retiring from the varsity but still behind the lines so to speak and the program rolls on in terms of NorCal Supremacy.

Has Serra reached a point in their program where they have enough talent and coaching under Walsh to simply reload and be a power in their respective CCS division year after year as DLS is in their's?

The most amazing aspect of the 2017 season to me is that Serra lost one of the best players in school history to graduation in their do-all athlete Sitaleki Nunn yet came back to have an even more successful season with their junior QB Luke Botari.

I almost forgot to add that Serra did this without the WCAL's MVP of the year Nio Mafi a 6'3-340 force on both sides of the ball injured at the beginning of the post season, which makes the accomplishment of 2017 even more astonishing.

Duplicating the DLS consistency within the WCAL is highly unlikely. Too many very strong private/parochial programs that lure kids from far and wide. Just recall that 2017 St. Francis roster: 70 players from 25 different cities from San Bruno and Hillsborough to Morgan Hill and Newark. And even that unit, an eventual state champion, could not win the WCAL title. Serra's league crown last year was its first unbeaten campaign since 1969. Domination by one WCAL football program (especially since the arrival of Valley Christian 16 years ago) is just not in the cards these days. Too much competition year after year. DLS has been an automatic NCS champion since forever. And the Spartans have not lost to a WCAL team for decades. Referring to CCS domination, again, it's almost impossible for one WCAL team to capture the Open Division consistently. That's primarily because those schools typically have to beat up their own league mates to annex an Open championship. So, no. A WCAL team can't duplicate the DLS experience. History proves it.

2017 Top Teams in WCAL = Serra, SF, VC & Mitty & then the lower tier.

2018 - I see no significant change in the finishing order of above teams.

For many year's the Bells & SF did indeed dominate the WCAL. Had SF not lost to Serra last season the Lancer's would have had a share of the WCAL crown for the 3rd time in 3 years'. Colhenry & I both know that with the 8 WCAL schools in relative close proximity to each other the talent each school draws on is somewhat diluted compared to where DLS is situated. Here student-athletes can choose for example SF, Bells, VC, Serra or Mitty depending on family's preference. As for DLS they have the records and notoriety to pull every FB talent in their sector as THE choice as a private parochial [as in THE only choice for that area]. Combine SF, Bells, VC & Mitty all close to each other and you likely would have a WCAL super team. Year to year in following rosters DLS has larger rosters than any WCAL school in terms of sheer numbers and depth and talent. This upcoming season will be interesting though as Pitt returns loaded and DLS not so much as most years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT