ADVERTISEMENT

Serra loses a pair

2017 Top Teams in WCAL = Serra, SF, VC & Mitty & then the lower tier.

2018 - I see no significant change in the finishing order of above teams.

For many year's the Bells & SF did indeed dominate the WCAL. Had SF not lost to Serra last season the Lancer's would have had a share of the WCAL crown for the 3rd time in 3 years'. Colhenry & I both know that with the 8 WCAL schools in relative close proximity to each other the talent each school draws on is somewhat diluted compared to where DLS is situated. Here student-athletes can choose for example SF, Bells, VC, Serra or Mitty depending on family's preference. As for DLS they have the records and notoriety to pull every FB talent in their sector as THE choice as a private parochial [as in THE only choice for that area]. Combine SF, Bells, VC & Mitty all close to each other and you likely would have a WCAL super team. Year to year in following rosters DLS has larger rosters than any WCAL school in terms of sheer numbers and depth and talent. This upcoming season will be interesting though as Pitt returns loaded and DLS not so much as most years.

Plans for a new coed Catholic high school in the Livermore/Pleasanton area never panned out. Rumor had it that way too much East Bay/NorCal papal cash had to be used to settle old abuse claims and, as a result, there wasn't much dough left for a new high school. So DLS continues as the only big-time private/parochial game in town on the east side of the hills.

Serra has won at least a share of the WCAL title in four of the past five years.

But any comparison to the amazingly long run of success by DLS doesn't make it. Serra has one outright WCAL crown since 1969. By the way, when was the last time a WCAL team defeated DLS? Cannot recall. St. Francis, which is loaded with talent from all over the region, will play the Spartans in 2018. Should be interesting.

But any comparison to the amazingly long run of success by DLS doesn't make it. Serra has one outright WCAL crown since 1969. By the way, when was the last time a WCAL team defeated DLS? Cannot recall. St. Francis, which is loaded with talent from all over the region, will play the Spartans in 2018. Should be interesting.
I believe the last WCAL team to defeat DLS was St. Francis in 1989? Riordan defeated Coach Lad's Spartans in 1981. The Bells had their shot in an epic battle losing on the road in OT in 2011.

I believe the last WCAL team to defeat DLS was St. Francis in 1989? Riordan defeated Coach Lad's Spartans in 1981. The Bells had their shot in an epic battle losing on the road in OT in 2011.

More recently, Serra had a couple of chances to beat Sparta but could not pull if off.

Serra has won at least a share of the WCAL title in four of the past five years.

Yes berdooman Serra's status has been ascending the last 5-year's going to state the last 2-year's and handling Cajon the highest scoring team in CA last season for the state crown in their respected division. I believe after quite a few years' that Coach Walsh has a successful "system" in place & Serra has risen to being the team to beat in the WCAL and among the top teams in CCS [along with SF].

Yes the Bell's & Serra both have come of so close to taking down the mighty Spartan Machine, both remarkably falling short by the smallest of margins. Serra losing 29-28 in the closing minute when the fumbled extra point was run in by the holder for a 2-point conversion.
Bell's had a chance to win as well a few years' ago and missed a short field goal that would've won the game. Good teams have Good Luck or so it seems...

One more time: The two most important WCAL football changes since the league was created 50 years ago have been the arrival of Coach Walsh at Serra in 2001 and the subsequent addition of Valley Christian to the league a year later. Those two events finally broke the Bellarmine/St. Francis stranglehold on the WCAL football title.

I never mentioned DLS. Somebody said SF almost won a share of 3 straight WCAL titles and I pointed out Serra won at least a share of 4 league titles in 5 years.

Rmbr, looking forward to your annual WCAL analysis/predictions for 2018. Hope you are having a great Summer!

One more time: The two most important WCAL football changes since the league was created 50 years ago have been the arrival of Coach Walsh at Serra in 2001 and the subsequent addition of Valley Christian to the league a year later. Those two events finally broke the Bellarmine/St. Francis stranglehold on the WCAL football title.

Incidentally, the two factors listed above have made it even harder for the three San Francisco WCAL schools to compete on a consistent basis within the league.

No one does the yearly CCS papal panorama better than the Rambling Man. Kudos in advance.

Thank you colhenry as well for all your valuable input throughout the season. We're just a few weeks from kick-off!
football_b.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT