ADVERTISEMENT

Serra needs a QB

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
It wasn't supposed to be this way. Serra, NorCal's top team for the last three years, seemed set at the QB position not that long ago. Not so now. At least four very promising signal-callers have left the program in the last two years, for a variety of reasons (not all related to playing time). The surge of QB transfers has left the Padres almost naked at that position heading into the 2024 season. With, arguably, the toughest schedule in the San Mateo school's history (and with a very young roster as well) facing the program, Coach Walsh and his staff are going to have to improvise on the fly. Their expertise will be severely tested. The opener is now just weeks away. Hello, Folsom, DLS and Bosco, not to mention the annual WCAL slog. Is a 5-5 record looming on West 20th Avenue? It's not out of the question.

Last edited:
Sounds like an excuse to me. Tom Brady's high school isn't attracting QB's?

I don't know if it's true but many people on this board were saying they brought in a QB all the way from Sacramento to play QB the past few seasons. So maybe that wasn't true? If they could recruit from all over how would they not have a QB? Who transferred out and why?

Riordan is clearly setting themselves up as the kings of the WCAL moving forward.

You would think kids would be transferring in from all over to play QB for Serra (NorCal Kings). Are the Padres losing players to other schools via transfer? If so, why?

• Haha
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Sounds like an excuse to me. Tom Brady's high school isn't attracting QB's?

I don't know if it's true but many people on this board were saying they brought in a QB all the way from Sacramento to play QB the past few seasons. So maybe that wasn't true? If they could recruit from all over how would they not have a QB? Who transferred out and why?

Riordan is clearly setting themselves up as the kings of the WCAL moving forward.

You would think kids would be transferring in from all over to play QB for Serra (NorCal Kings). Are the Padres losing players to other schools via transfer? If so, why?
In your opinion, lets just say the last 10-15 years if you can recollect, who has been Serra's "worst" starting QB? As far as I can remember, there have not been many. Nunn, Bottari, McLemore, Lampkin, and Smith is a pretty good run of QBs in succession.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
In your opinion, lets just say the last 10-15 years if you can recollect, who has been Serra's "worst" starting QB? As far as I can remember, there have not been many. Nunn, Bottari, McLemore, Lampkin, and Smith is a pretty good run of QBs in succession.

I don't know, but I know they have been winning and QB play hasn't hurt them.

I won't act like I know those players strengths or weaknesses.

Suposedly they have a top frosh QB behind the starting senior right now. I think his name is Vasquez or something latino. He posts a lot of his 7v7 photos. He is a bigger QB built like Ben Roth so I wouldn't expect him to be dual threat.

Suposedly they have a top frosh QB behind the starting senior right now. I think his name is Vasquez or something latino. He posts a lot of his 7v7 photos. He is a bigger QB built like Ben Roth so I wouldn't expect him to be dual threat.
Gone. Family moved to East Bay..

I don't know, but I know they have been winning and QB play hasn't hurt them.

I won't act like I know those players strengths or weaknesses.
In 2013 Serra moved RB Matt Fa'aita to QB and won WCAL and CCS Open

In 2014 Leki Nunn was a soph and started the season at QB until transfer Hunter Bishop was eligible, Nunn moved to RB

Halfway through the 2015 season Nunn was moved back to QB and Bishop moved to WR where he got some D1 offers

I still think its shocking that they don't have a QB.

Don't they run the ball anyway? Triple option team?

An irony: If Mann, now a backup QB at SI, had stayed at Serra (he left after just a couple of weeks in 2022) he no doubt would start for Coach Walsh now. The grass isn't always greener on other prep pastures. Mann gambled and, perhaps, lost.

An irony: If Mann, now a backup QB at SI, had stayed at Serra (he left after just a couple of weeks in 2022) he no doubt would start for Coach Walsh now. The grass isn't always greener on other prep pastures. Mann gambled and, perhaps, lost.
Isn’t he the starter at Bishop Monague in Reno now ?

• Wow
Reactions: concrete17
It wasn't supposed to be this way. Serra, NorCal's top team for the last three years, seemed set at the QB position not that long ago. Not so now. At least four very promising signal-callers have left the program in the last two years, for a variety of reasons (not all related to playing time). The surge of QB transfers has left the Padres almost naked at that position heading into the 2024 season. With, arguably, the toughest schedule in the San Mateo school's history (and with a very young roster as well) facing the program, Coach Walsh and his staff are going to have to improvise on the fly. Their expertise will be severely tested. The opener is now just weeks away. Hello, Folsom, DLS and Bosco, not to mention the annual WCAL slog. Is a 5-5 record looming on West 20th Avenue? It's not out of the question.
The reality is that Serra is not developing any QB’s and they have embarrassed themselves 3 straight years in the open, so why would any top QB even want to go there?….

They didn’t deserve to go to the Open In 2021 after getting Boat-raced by ST Francis for the league title, and the last 2 years when they did deserve it, they scored a total of 0 points and were defeated before they even took the field….

They had that Lamplin kid who was a 3 year starter and very talented and they did not develop him and he ended up at JC….

Smith from Sac was supposed to be one of Nor Cal’s top QB’s and couldn’t put up 1 point in the open game 2 straight years…. Is that coaching or was the kid overrated?…. Who knows….

Serra’s window as the top team in Nor Cal has appeared to be slammed shut…. But they have no one to blame but themselves…. You can’t score 7 points in 3 Open Games and expect top level kids to want to play there….

5-5 looks like a good record for Serra this year…. Really a Bummer, Because I have always believed that Coach Walsh is one of the best HSFB coaches in CA….

Reactions: ChewpaMiverga
There are a lot of good landing spots for a young QB in the East Bay. Mack just got a new QB transfer recently in Staples. DLS, Pitt, CVC, Campo, Acalanes, SRV…

Reactions: THEOC89
The reality is that Serra is not developing any QB’s and they have embarrassed themselves 3 straight years in the open, so why would any top QB even want to go there?….

They didn’t deserve to go to the Open In 2021 after getting Boat-raced by ST Francis for the league title, and the last 2 years when they did deserve it, they scored a total of 0 points and were defeated before they even took the field….

They had that Lamplin kid who was a 3 year starter and very talented and they did not develop him and he ended up at JC….

Smith from Sac was supposed to be one of Nor Cal’s top QB’s and couldn’t put up 1 point in the open game 2 straight years…. Is that coaching or was the kid overrated?…. Who knows….

Serra’s window as the top team in Nor Cal has appeared to be slammed shut…. But they have no one to blame but themselves…. You can’t score 7 points in 3 Open Games and expect top level kids to want to play there….

5-5 looks like a good record for Serra this year…. Really a Bummer, Because I have always believed that Coach Walsh is one of the best HSFB coaches in CA….
Serra’s won 27 straight games against NorCal opponents, sent 10 kids to D1 schools last year, and had a Frosh team that went 9-0. I feel like reports of Serra’s demise may have been exaggerated.

There are different levels to CA high school football, and MD/SJB are on a different level than everyone else. Serra has been the sacrificial lamb the past three years. If they had been selected for 1A or 1AA the past three years, they would likely have at least one or two more Bowl wins than they do now. They were clearly the top team in NorCal the past two years though, so they were the obvious selection.

Last edited:
Yes I remember their OC had them running swing gate and wildcat formation against Mater Dei 😆

This is what I remember too. Don't need an all world QB to run the triple option.

Last edited:
Serra’s won 27 straight games against NorCal opponents, sent 10 kids to D1 schools last year, and had a Frosh team that went 9-0. I feel like reports of Serra’s demise may have been exaggerated.

There are different levels to CA high school football, and MD/SJB are on a different level than everyone else. Serra has been the sacrificial lamb the past three years. If they had been selected for 1A or 1AA the past three years, they would likely have at least one or two more Bowl wins than they do now. They were clearly the top team in NorCal the past two years though, so they were the obvious selection.
The Folsom stick up his ass has been replaced by Serra. Pay no attention to him.

• Haha
Reactions: dcpanda

Lampkin, had offers to play QB. Also had an offer to play safety. Chose to go juco because he wanted bigger offers.

The ultimate equalizer at QB is pressure and Smith was under duress the whole game, even in quick game he was getting hit after 3 step drop.

Hulk left for non football related things, which is pretty obvious being he went to a school not even top 1,000 in the state.

Mann left according to sources because he wasn't starting over Smith.

Transfer Portal has had a trickle down effect and kids that don't play at top schools don't stay anymore. That is the reality.

People hoping Serra falls off, could be disappointed. Run the ball and play good defense and you got a chance. Serra can do both.

Last edited:

Football is a game of match ups, and when you are deficient at Wr and Oline the Southern Schools exposed those inefficiencies. In Norcal you can scheme your way out of those things.

5-5 Projection for a team that hasn't lost to a Norcal opponent in years. Bold Strategy.

Last edited:
Wow!…. Major step down!…. Going from the WCAL to the Third tier of the DAL…. How can he not be at PITT or CVC?…..
NOT really, MT. Diablo has been bulding up a good O line that will protect, Mt.Diablo give Alhambra a rough time, but Acalanes ran over them, but this kid will be able to show what he can do.

Serra still remains the team to beat in NorCal until proven otherwise. The Padres preseason schedule is awesome and it will prepare them well for WCAL. Will be interesting if their offense will now be more run focused with the stable of backs they have. The Padres D is not going away, they are fast and sure tacklers. Serra’s frosh team was very good. I’m looking forward to seeing Serra’s 2027 class and RIordan’s 2027 class on varsity this season as the Crusaders had 5 frosh who either started or played significant minutes on varsity last season. The remainder of the frosh played up on JVs (no frosh team) and only had 2 losses (Serra and SF). Riordan’s starting QB and RB were out in those losses. St. Francis, SI and VC along with Serra and Riordan look to have good 2024 campaigns.

Last edited:
If Serra manages to defeat any of its first three foes, it would be a very big upset this year. Padres will be heavy 'dogs in all three. Very heavy.

If Serra manages to defeat any of its first three foes, it would be a very big upset this year. Padres will be heavy 'dogs in all three. Very heavy.

They will have a very difficult time with Folsom, especially since Folsom will already have 1 game under their belt by the time they play Serra. With Bosco, there has been a lot of attrition with their kids being recruited to other schools, and they have some holes (by their standards) at the QB position as well. But I still tip the scale towards Bosco - too much of a mismatch in talent and coaching.

But I think against DLS, Serra might be able to stand toe to toe. They shut them out last year and most of their defense returns.

Yes I remember their OC had them running swing gate and wildcat formation against Mater Dei 😆

I think this is part of Serra's current problem. I look at their offense and they have no true identity. You commit to the almighty Padres and you will be running a little bit of anything and everything. If I'm a parent or an experienced kid (a lot of these freshmen have played a ton of football and 7 on 7), I want to know what I'm going to be asked to do and proceed to do just that. Surprises are not a good thing when your'e talking about the recruitment of these kids.

Say what you want about De La Salle and their demise but they've continued to get QBs. Part of that is because everyone and their mother knows what they run. There's no shock factor when a kid ends up throwing for 1,300 yards.

Reactions: MadDawgSS
Hulk left for non football related things, which is pretty obvious being he went to a school not even top 1,000 in the state.

Mann left according to sources because he wasn't starting over Smith.

That's only half of the story with the Hulkster. The other part is that, like Mann, Hulk was not happy to sit behind Smith.

In the eyes of the people looking from the outside in, the kid overachieved. He was a Varsity Freshmen and the heir-apparent for a Power 4 QB. I left the bit about Mann in for a reason.

I've heard from multiple people that Walsh is selling these kids on the opportunity to start as Freshmen only for them to end up riding pine or off the varsity roster altogether. These families leave feeling lied to.

Feeling lied to while having to pay a substantial amount of money in tuition is not something many can survive.

Football is a game of match ups, and when you are deficient at Wr and Oline the Southern Schools exposed those inefficiencies. In Norcal you can scheme your way out of those things.

5-5 Projection for a team that hasn't lost to a Norcal opponent in years. Bold Strategy.

Scheme lol....Serra is talent deficient to nobody in the north and that's why they get away with running whatever the shit they want.

You can't knock Smith for the SBG this last year when their OC sat his ass a good portion of the first half while trying to run the Swinging Gate lol

And Walsh has built a program, no doubt about it. He can recruit his tail off, no doubt about that one either. Let him and the Head Coach at nearby Hillsdale High School trade roster and you will be surprised to say the least.

Scheme lol....Serra is talent deficient to nobody in the north and that's why they get away with running whatever the shit they want.
And that's why they win the north at a high rate. There is litte to no talent deficiency. You can get away with 0 d1 Recievers and 1 D1 o-lineman in Norcal. Not in state.

Reactions: ChewpaMiverga
And that's why they win the north at a high rate. There is litte to no talent deficiency. You can get away with 0 d1 Recievers and 1 D1 o-lineman in Norcal. Not in state.
Please refrain from spreading misinformation. They’ve had a lot of D1 linemen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT