ADVERTISEMENT

Serra Padres 2020 QB situation

FBIQ

Sports Fanatic
Nov 21, 2019
With last years senior Daylin McLemore Headed to ASU what is the Serra High School QB situation? I know they have the standout Sophomore Dominique Lampkin from last year, but what’s behind him?

Could Tom Brady’s alma matar be QB deficient going into the 2020 season?

What’s the word on the Padre QB situation?

If there is a helm to be at.....

With the Covid-19 situation Serra may be looking at 1 senior year at the helm for Lampkin with no incoming freshman & no Frosh/Soft (JV) player with experience behind Lampkin to take over after he graduates.

Oh, crud. Saint Francis was going to be IMO, the team to beat this year. This sucks. Hopefully we can play football this winter. No fans in the stands but at least online. But next years Lancers will be special.

My guess is that we can talk about which team this year is the best on paper.

Oh, crud. Saint Francis was going to be IMO, the team to beat this year. This sucks. Hopefully we can play football this winter. No fans in the stands but at least online. But next years Lancers will be special.

My guess is that we can talk about which team this year is the best on paper.

St. Francis wasn’t even in the discussion this upcoming season. There was nothing I saw from SF last year that said they were a year away.

I think the WCAL is still a two team race between VC and the Padres.

With that said the Padres QB issue could allow another team to sneak in.

What discussion was that?

They have a good senior class. Their JV’s beat Corona Del Mar and their only loss was to DLS. Their frosh went undefeated.

You just keep having discussions with yourself. If they get out of hand go see a psychiatrist.

Last edited:
Valley is by far the most talented team in WCAL heading into 2020 season.

Serra has no experience and not much talent on their O and D lines and the worst Senior class they’ve had in years . Jrs will carry the team and they have two incoming Frosh that already have offers from ASU so they won’t be down long.

SF 2022 class is incredible but not good enough to beat Valley this season. Their Frosh weren’t undefeated. They lost to the Bells

Hope beyond everything we have a season to watch this all play out

Valley is by far the most talented team in WCAL heading into 2020 season.

Serra has no experience and not much talent on their O and D lines and the worst Senior class they’ve had in years . Jrs will carry the team and they have two incoming Frosh that already have offers from ASU so they won’t be down long.

SF 2022 class is incredible but not good enough to beat Valley this season. Their Frosh weren’t undefeated. They lost to the Bells

Hope beyond everything we have a season to watch this all play out

"Serra has no experience.......

Uhhhh......I would check 247 sports

Sioeli Helu is a very good returning OL/DL for the Padres. 6’3” 315 with offers from the academies and Dartmouth/Yale.

Pedersen is a TE/DE with 20+ offers from Virginia, Boise, etc. Watson Latu is also very good. Those are three guys for Serra to build around on the lines with the talent of the junior class.

Thanks for proving my point
If your pass catching TE is your answer for O and D line is experience you are grasping

Helu has size but I’ve seen smaller guys neutralize him for 3 years now.
How will he do without Ellison and Nusi

Pads are young and talented but not enough to compete this year with Valley. Think 2018

How good is the VC QB and did he start last season? Or will he be a first time starter?

VC always seems to have talent. Their passing game is always their achilles heel.

Thanks for proving my point
If your pass catching TE is your answer for O and D line is experience you are grasping

Please don’t build a straw man. I gave three guys who will be third-year varsity players. Definitely experience there, including two rising juniors who played as sophs. The line just has to be good enough to let Lampkin, Poni, and Mahassin do their thing.

I don’t really think it matters, anyway. Small likelihood of a 2020 season happening.

Did anyone answer the original question? Dominique Lampkin has two years left. Trace LaMar will be a senior in 2020 and quarterbacked the JV team last year. A kid named Atkins quarterbacked the freshman team -- his brother was a receiver on the state title team, I think. I have seen both on livestream and they are athletic. I have read about two kids heading for Serra who are supposedly ASU commits. Not sure how that works, but I think one will be a freshman in 2020 and the other in 2021. Both seem to be running back/defender types. One of them has the last name of Bey and I don't know if he is the younger brother of former Mitty QB Shamir Bey. Serra has been strong in the so-called skill positions for a while. Padres had some huge JV linemen in 2019, if not a lot of depth there. There were also some big linemen on the varsity who were backups and had no name on the backs of their jerseys in the postseason ... not sure what their story was. Gotta think they would have been on the field if seniors weren't so stout. .

The Padres also have Petelo Gi, an RB/LB coming up from JV, who is pretty electric.

St. Francis wasn’t even in the discussion this upcoming season. There was nothing I saw from SF last year that said they were a year away.

I think the WCAL is still a two team race between VC and the Padres.

With that said the Padres QB issue could allow another team to sneak in.
Padres have a good QB. Do they have enough everywhere else to take on VC?

Did anyone answer the original question? Dominique Lampkin has two years left. Trace LaMar will be a senior in 2020 and quarterbacked the JV team last year. A kid named Atkins quarterbacked the freshman team -- his brother was a receiver on the state title team, I think. I have seen both on livestream and they are athletic. I have read about two kids heading for Serra who are supposedly ASU commits. Not sure how that works, but I think one will be a freshman in 2020 and the other in 2021. Both seem to be running back/defender types. One of them has the last name of Bey and I don't know if he is the younger brother of former Mitty QB Shamir Bey. Serra has been strong in the so-called skill positions for a while. Padres had some huge JV linemen in 2019, if not a lot of depth there. There were also some big linemen on the varsity who were backups and had no name on the backs of their jerseys in the postseason ... not sure what their story was. Gotta think they would have been on the field if seniors weren't so stout. .

How can I get a hold of the livestream video on Trace LaMar and Atkins? I wouldn't mind seeing what they look like.

Padres have a good QB. Do they have enough everywhere else to take on VC?
Is that a rhetorical question? VC always has plenty of good athletes but their plain vanilla offense makes it pretty easy for Serra to defend. So if Serra offense struggles a bit against the VC defense, they can still win.

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89
How good is the VC QB and did he start last season? Or will he be a first time starter?

VC always seems to have talent. Their passing game is always their achilles heel.

VC Head Coach is similar to the Bell's head coach, stuck in his ways. He uses a old-school approach on offensive football.

WCAL appears to have quite a number of returning Varsity RBs* as well as promising ones coming up from JVs: (*WCAL All-League teams). Didn't Gi play at Riordan as a freshman?
VC and Serra will still be the top dogs of the WCAL this coming season, if we have one. I'm looking forward to seeing Bellarmine with its new coaching staff and talented underclassmen.

Varsity Returnees
  • Bells: Burrill, Richards
  • Mitty: Webb
  • Riordan: Ruth, Kefu, Estilore
  • SHC: Cormican
  • Serra: Poni
  • SF: Arquette, Tongamoa
  • SI: Shannon (late season return from NV)
  • VC: Curini, Laubach
JVs of note:
  • Riordan: Redding (played as a Frosh)
  • Serra: Gi
  • SHC (Frosh team): Mixon

WCAL appears to have quite a number of returning Varsity RBs* as well as promising ones coming up from JVs: (*WCAL All-League teams). Didn't Gi play at Riordan as a freshman?
VC and Serra will still be the top dogs of the WCAL this coming season, if we have one. I'm looking forward to seeing Bellarmine with its new coaching staff and talented underclassmen.

Varsity Returnees
JVs of note:
Different Gi, That’s his Cousin at Riordan.

Reactions: jordan24

Varsity Returnees
JVs of note:

Several teams (Bellarmine and Serra as two examples) will bring up promising 2019 frosh who will see plenty of action in 2020, assuming there is a season.

...by the way, hasn't Serra's Mahasin (RB/WR/KR) already been offered full rides by D1 schools?...

Several teams (Bellarmine and Serra as two examples) will bring up promising 2019 frosh who will see plenty of action in 2020, assuming there is a season.

I don't watch frosh football.

Who does Serra and Bellarmine have at those levels that can make an impact?

I don't watch frosh football.

Who does Serra and Bellarmine have at those levels that can make an impact?

I think there are a few worth nothing from the 2023 class at Bellarmine that just went 9-0 last season. They won each of their contests this past season by an average of 23 points per game.

Class of '22 QB Wade Smith also did a nice job starting 9 games as a sophomore on Varsity for the lackluster Bells last season. He is a dual-threat QB that should improve mightily with the Bells new offensive scheme under OC Austyn Carta-Samuels.

Several '21 seniors from Bell that could surprise in a new environment are: RB/S Jaxon Sawyer, TE/DE/OLB Griffin Waiss, TE/LB Will Matlack, WR/CB Adam Hayashi, ATH Joaquin Moreno, WR/DB Nicho Domine, TE/OL/DE Russell McKeever

Here are a few of those underclassmen athletes I see making a leap:

1) RB/S/KR Ben Pfaff '23 - Link to Hudl Highlights
2) LB/RB Brandon Broch '23 - Link to Hudl Highlights
3) DE/DT Diego Robles '23 - Link to Hudl Highlights
4) TE/LB John Piro '23 - Link to Hudl Highlight
5) QB Wade Smith '22 - Link to Hudl Highlights
6) WR/DB Thomas DiVittorio '22 - Link to Hudl Highlights

Reactions: colhenrylives
Thanks for that information.

What Young guys will Serra have coming up to the varsity team from their frosh team?

Thanks for that information.

What Young guys will Serra have coming up to the varsity team from their frosh team?

FBIQ - I know there are some talented players but honestly at this point i'm just praying for the kids get to play this year and I mean praying!! That includes women/men basketball, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, etc...

Anyone notice Calpreps has preview ratings dropping significantly for WCAL this season. Much info is not yet inputed by the teams, but it looks like it is seen as a weak year for the WCAL.

Anyone notice Calpreps has preview ratings dropping significantly for WCAL this season. Much info is not yet inputed by the teams, but it looks like it is seen as a weak year for the WCAL.

Are a bunch of WCAL players transferring to play high school football out of state?

Varsity Returnees
JVs of note:

Jordan.
Coach Ron Calcagno chose not to include in this years Lancer team roster on Macpreps with the exception of a few players. Their best players have been left out.

Go to the 2019 roster and look at the sophomores and juniors and you will get a better idea of the what this years team will look like.

There JV’s beat CDM and their only loss was to DLS. Their Freshman team only lost once to Bellarmine.

Good job though Jordan.

Last edited:
Jordan.
Coach Ron Calcagno chose not to include in this years Lancer team roster on Macpreps with the exception of a few players. Their best players have been left out.

Go to the 2019 roster and look at the sophomores and juniors and you will get a better idea of the what this years team will look like.

There JV’s beat CDM and their only loss was to DLS. Their Freshman team only lost once to Bellarmine.

Good job though Jordan.
WCAL75, got it, thanks. I simply noted the RBs that I was able to get off Maxpreps and the WCAL site's Football All-League list and the players I was more familiar with. Never count the Lancers out of the WCAL race. Have a good summer and we'll see you in January!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT