ADVERTISEMENT

SF Examiner has ended coverage of Sports

Not good. Not good at all. The Ex provided a fairly decent amount of local sports coverage. The AAA and the private schools (along with the college scene) in SF will feel the void. It's a symptom of the times and the state of journalism. Sorry to learn this.

The Athletic.com should add local journalists that cover the area’s prep sports scene.

We're losing excellent dedicated reporters/writers. Jeremy Balan provided great high school coverage for a couple years with his site before money ran out. Kassel and Gorcey followed with their excellent coverage. Sign of the times when the only way to keep this going is not a free product but through a paywall (The Athletic, ESPN Insider). Unfortunately the interest in local high school sports just doesnt move the meter/make parent companies any money. We'll just have to rely on casual fans/parents trying to give their most unbiased opinion and coverage.

Maxpreps which is owned by the CBS Corporation should step up if it wants to preserve the foundation of local high school sports.

Reactions: Scott2138
Ryan Gorcey was supposed to cover the USF vs Arizona State game last night. While the game was played, the coverage did not occur.

Honestly right now nobody does it better than @SimplyBBall. Just calling it how I see it. For at least the last couple of years (maybe longer) a lot of the guys I get introduced to are from their videos.

While I respect newspapers, I think they are close to becoming extinct and can hardly pay their pro-sports writers. Doesn’t surprise me at all they are making cuts at the amateur and college levels.

Honestly right now nobody does it better than @SimplyBBall. Just calling it how I see it. For at least the last couple of years (maybe longer) a lot of the guys I get introduced to are from their videos.

While I respect newspapers, I think they are close to becoming extinct and can hardly pay their pro-sports writers. Doesn’t surprise me at all they are making cuts at the amateur and college levels.
Do they cover anything but basketball? If not, that the problem with the way of prep sports in general (ie coverage). I think I am in the minority on this site. If you look at my history (and its a long one), I post on football, basketball and baseball site. Old school follow and played multiple sports, not just follow one prep sport exclusively. I can think of a few of us who follow the big three. That is the thing about Gorsey and Kassel - they made the effort to cover all sports. A lot of older supporters of prep sports arent in tuned with video sites and mixed tape highlights. Still looking for story tellers, not for the next recruit.

Last edited:
Do they cover anything but basketball? If not, that the problem with the way of prep sports in general (ie coverage). I think I am in the minority on this site. If you look at my history (and its a long one), I post on football, basketball and baseball site. Old school follow and played multiple sports, not just follow one prep sport exclusively. I can think of a few of us who follow the big three. That is the thing about Gorsey and Kassel - they made the effort to cover all sports. A lot of older supporters of prep sports arent in tuned with video sites and mixed tape highlights. Still looking for story tellers, not for the next recruit.

I concour, and will add that the small town papers do cover most prep sports. I know my local paper covers virtually everything. Buy the buy, I still read two news papers a day, both local and out of town.

Here's wishing you great hoops and other stuff.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Sorry, Cheryl, that won't help. The loss of advertising revenue led to the demise of the sports department. However, there are a couple of free lance writers that are, at least for the time being, writing articles for them. Can't say what the future holds.

Reactions: cherylbaustin

Thank you!

Reactions: cherylbaustin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT