Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Del Oro

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Santa Ball

Sports Fanatic
Dec 7, 2017
Grant has the bye week...

Looking back over the preseason we may be seeing more parity in the league this year. We have the top team in Folsom, arguably slightly below last years team on the defensive side of the ball. An Oak Ridge team that looks to be a clear #2. We have what appears to be a slightly down Del Oro team compared to last years squad. Granite Bay has the look of a team better than their 2-2 record.

We have a Rocklin and Whitney team staging a call for relevance in the SFL. Both teams coming off disappointing seasons in 2018 and have looked to be much improved on both sides of the ball. Finally, we have a struggling young Grant team that may need some luck with health over a long season due to low numbers. It will be an uphill climb for the Pacers but much can change over the next six weeks and post season hope is very possible.

So here we are week 1 ready to see the SFL in action for the first time this year. It looks to be a great season for the players, parents and fans. The background set, this is a new season that brings new hope of prosperity for each team, inevitable twist and turns abound and too few of these Friday night lights not to make them memorable.

Here are a few interesting match-ups to start the season with;
Good luck to all the squads out there, get after it, tonight is Christmas Eve...

Folsom at Oak Ridge
Granite Bay at Del Oro
  • Will the Del Oro defense that gave up 500 yds on the ground to Indy show up or the defense that limited Spanish springs to 90 yds on the ground.
  • Peterson, Hamilton and the grizzlies will venture out of the den to seek the answer this Friday.
https://goldcountrymedia.com/news/1...ay-set-to-renew-rivalry-in-sfl-opener-friday/

Rocklin at Whitney
  • A King will be anointed this Friday in the city of Rocklin, the Quarry Bowl promises to be more exciting then the Catalina wine mixer!
  • Star QB Brickhandler “EB3”(his own shirt and clothing brand)that’s moxie, and the wildcats host QB Watts charging up the thunderstorm this Friday.
  • Which team stays upright and on the upswing to start the season with a 1-0 league standing. This should be a very exciting game for two rebound teams off to a great start so far.

Quick Picks
  • Grizzlies clip the golden eagles wings for the Upset
  • Trojans keep the dogs on a short leash for a half but the dogs gotta eat, + 3 scores.
  • Electric atmosphere the storm descends on the Wildcats, thunder pulls out the win
Thoughts, picks, score updates and hot takes welcome.

Last edited:
OR hangs with Folsom and puts a scare into them
GB outlasts DO
RHS run game to much for WHS

I see it the same way, this is the Super Bowl of games for the Trojans with what I believe to be the #1 QB in the SFL. Coach Cav, should have his team ready to play, it also sounds like Doherty is lighting a fire under the backside of his team for “underperforming”, an embarrassment of riches as the Bulldogs are littered with 11 D1 studs. Unfortunately, I don’t see a way the Trojans pull off the upset but you never know, this team is good.

RHS, had two running backs over 100 yds last week and Watts can spin it when needed (5tds, over 200yds per game). For Whitney, they are going to have to run the ball effectively and stop the run. Brickhandler is a tremendous QB but the tape is out there, roll outs, buying time for receivers is successful with 4 in coverage but faced with nickel and dime coverage (secondary by what I believe to be the strength for the Thunder) might test the brand so to speak.

Del Oro vs. Granite Bay could go either way in my opinion. I think it will be a great game (Honor Bowl) with DO coming off a route of Sac and GB coming off a tough loss to Vacaville. Logic dictates that DO should have the edge but I’m not convinced. My gut tells me Granite Bay is a dark horse this year, and think they can pull out a road win.

I see it the same way, this is the Super Bowl of games for the Trojans with what I believe to be the #1 QB in the SFL. Coach Cav, should have his team ready to play, it also sounds like Doherty is lighting a fire under the backside of his team for “underperforming”, an embarrassment of riches as the Bulldogs are littered with 11 D1 studs. Unfortunately, I don’t see a way the Trojans pull off the upset but you never know, this team is good.

RHS, had two running backs over 100 yds last week and Watts can spin it when needed (5tds, over 200yds per game). For Whitney, they are going to have to run the ball effectively and stop the run. Brickhandler is a tremendous QB but the tape is out there, roll outs, buying time for receivers is successful with 4 in coverage but faced with nickel and dime coverage (secondary by what I believe to be the strength for the Thunder) might test the brand so to speak.

Del Oro vs. Granite Bay could go either way in my opinion. I think it will be a great game (Honor Bowl) with DO coming off a route of Sac and GB coming off a tough loss to Vacaville. Logic dictates that DO should have the edge but I’m not convinced. My gut tells me Granite Bay is a dark horse this year, and think they can pull out a road win.

Agreed on the first game but I think the losing time for OR may be over...

If WHS doesn't handle RHS big tackle and let him run amok....the WHS QB is in trouble with 275 lbs bearing down on him...

I just like GB in this one.....

Respect!
Yea, I think Oak Ridge makes this a game and if so, leads the SFL into a better era of competition with Folsom. The window has to close sometime, and the Trojans might have a shot. It comes down to line play, schematically you may slow down a Ngata, but get burnt by badger Hutton etc. you can’t stop them all, they are just too good.

I think Rocklin has good size on the interior. I’ve been most impressed with T.j. Murphy #41 at 245 plays a 1 tech, takes on double teams and still gets penetration. Outside They have soph Piland #71 at 270, kids going to be a D1 player and I think Beard #58 at 250. So they have some size in the trenches and will need it to be competitive in this league. I see them more as really solid as anchors/run stoppers for this team to spill outside to their speed. They also have a backer #5 Aawad that’s all over the field. Team tackling could improve.

Agreed on the first game but I think the losing time for OR may be over...

If WHS doesn't handle RHS big tackle and let him run amok....the WHS QB is in trouble with 275 lbs bearing down on him...

I just like GB in this one.....

I’ve been high on OR QB Lamson from the start. I think he’s the best QB in the sac area and also pure athlete. He could end up getting recruited as a safety or OLB as wel.

I think if Ngata is hurt OR hangs around deep into the 3rd and Folsom pulls away in 4th. If he’s healthy I think it’s 3 TD game at half and could get ugly by 4th. Folsom still reigns supreme. The 2 weeks off I think hurts OR.

I’ve been high on OR QB Lamson from the start. I think he’s the best QB in the sac area and also pure athlete. He could end up getting recruited as a safety or OLB as wel.

I think if Ngata is hurt OR hangs around deep into the 3rd and Folsom pulls away in 4th. If he’s healthy I think it’s 3 TD game at half and could get ugly by 4th. Folsom still reigns supreme. The 2 weeks off I think hurts OR.

Good take, if Ngata is banged up it could be closer. Folsom is Top Dog no doubt, add the two weeks off for Oak Ridge and it could spell disaster if they start slow.

I'd be very surprised if Folsom doesn't spank Oak Ridge. OR run game appears soft and their pass defense gave up nearly 200 to Vacaville.

Granite Bay could be the surprise of the SFL behind Folsom

Reactions: Santa Ball
Granite Bay at Del Oro
  • Will the Del Oro defense that gave up 500 yds on the ground to Indy show up or the defense that limited Spanish springs to 90 yds on the ground.
  • Peterson, Hamilton and the grizzlies will venture out of the den to seek the answer this Friday.
https://goldcountrymedia.com/news/1...ay-set-to-renew-rivalry-in-sfl-opener-friday/

Thoughts, picks, score updates and hot takes welcome.

KAHI radio is going to be calling this game (since Placer has a bye). They do a great job. If any of you all want to follow along live, you can listen online at http://kahi.com or if you're near Auburn, at FM 104.5.

I'd be very surprised if Folsom doesn't spank Oak Ridge. OR run game appears soft and their pass defense gave up nearly 200 to Vacaville.

Granite Bay could be the surprise of the SFL behind Folsom

Huh? Oak Ridge spanked Vacaville on the road 45-20. Domination. Granite Bay goes to Vacaville and loses 27-16. Granite Bay has solid D but struggles on offense. I will say OR clear #2 and rest of SFL playing for 3rd. Except grant who is playing for last. They are going to struggle to get a W.

KAHI radio is going to be calling this game (since Placer has a bye). They do a great job. If any of you all want to follow along live, you can listen online at http://kahi.com or if you're near Auburn, at FM 104.5.

Great job,you!Thank you for the info....i’m pondering if I should go watch the basin boys,if not I will be tuning in.....again Thank You! Go Placer

Huh? Oak Ridge spanked Vacaville on the road 45-20. Domination. Granite Bay goes to Vacaville and loses 27-16. Granite Bay has solid D but struggles on offense. I will say OR clear #2 and rest of SFL playing for 3rd. Except grant who is playing for last. They are going to struggle to get a W.
Did you see either game with Vacaville or are you going by box scores? OR has a soft run game. The next several weeks will show that. GB has a much better run game and pass/run balance.

Great job,you!Thank you for the info....i’m pondering if I should go watch the basin boys,if not I will be tuning in.....again Thank You! Go Placer
You're welcome! KAHI does such a great job--I like to spread the word about them. Have a good weekend and see you next Friday!

Definitely not a good look for the Folsom Bulldogs. Not just their football team but their whole school culture in general. You would think someone would say this is a bad idea. It could just be one student who did this though. Not enough information. If it was planned by a handful of students that would be worse imo.

Whoever the culprit it's lame and disrespectful, but nice response by the two schools. On to the games!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT