ADVERTISEMENT

SHC Beats Fernley 20-7

Irish_Cheers

Hall of Famer
May 11, 2008
Game was audio-streaming and I caught it at the half with the score tied 7-7. In the 4th quarter, QB Tim Sweeters connected with Cormac Slattery for a 15-yard TD. The missed PAT made it 13-7 Irish.

Fernley punted midway through the 4th and LeVar Watkins ran it back to the 16 yard line. It was hard to hear the sound due to distortion. Anthony Heard scored a rushing TD on the next play and made the extra point and on their next possession, ran out the clock for the 20-7 final.

Irish I was expecting a "mild romp" by Crusader's around 35-14 with subs in trying to keep the score down.

Reading 7-7 at 1/2 is not a good sign sorry to say. Looking at SF they look extremely strong for a 1rst game and Fernley would be in dire straits against this SF team. Hope I'm wrong..

Irish I was expecting a "mild romp" by Crusader's around 35-14 with subs in trying to keep the score down.

Reading 7-7 at 1/2 is not a good sign sorry to say. Looking at SF they look extremely strong for a 1rst game and Fernley would be in dire straits against this SF team. Hope I'm wrong..
You mean the Irish?

Reactions: Irish_Cheers

Reading 7-7 at 1/2 is not a good sign sorry to say. Looking at SF they look extremely strong for a 1st game and Fernley would be in dire straits against this SF team. Hope I'm wrong..

From what I could make out of the play-by-play, SHC has to get it's passing game together. That's something to work on. I only heard about Fernley turning the ball over. One TD by SHC was called back and they also ran the clock out at the end of the game, so maybe it was more of a romp than the score indicated. Last year's JV game was close too.

Who is "SF"?

Last edited:
Appears from Seamus’ tweets that SH plays both Sweeters and Monaco at QB. Branch-Haynes looks like a force. Nice win to open season.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Appears from Seamus’ tweets that SH plays both Sweeters and Monaco at QB. Branch-Haynes looks like a force. Nice win to open season.

They may just have to use what they have and at least they are seniors. The SI QB transfer has to sit out at least 4 games I heard per CCS but I expect will be in the mix soon enough....

I think you got to use what you have, at least the two are Seniors. The SI QB Transfer has to sit out for at least 4 games but we may get to see some of him sooner rather than later and certainly against SI and Riordan I believe.

Thoughts on how SHC will stack up against Palma next week?

Palma would probably have the advantage playing at home. The rankings from MaxPreps have Palma ranked 327 in the state and SHC 328. Irish have a size advantage and with new quarterbacks, have to work on their passing game.

Palma would probably have the advantage playing at home. The rankings from MaxPreps have Palma ranked 327 in the state and SHC 328. Irish have a size advantage and with new quarterbacks, have to work on their passing game.

With my no 4. son graduating last year, I am no longer directly connected with the program. I note that both qb's who played last night, had never played in a football game at SHC as far as I can tell. Monaco was a basketball player and Sweeters a baseball pitcher. . Also, Fernley had already played one game and SHC traveled up the day of the game. So not surprised that it was not a blow outSo all things considered, not a bad start for SHC.

It was one the worst radio announcers I ever listened. Never really knew who was playing for SHC, never really knew the score. Also, the announcer referred the whole game to SHC as "San Francisco".

With my no 4. son graduating last year, I am no longer directly connected with the program. I note that both qb's who played last night, had never played in a football game at SHC as far as I can tell. Monaco was a basketball player and Sweeters a baseball pitcher. . Also, Fernley had already played one game and SHC traveled up the day of the game. So not surprised that it was not a blow outSo all things considered, not a bad start for SHC.

It was one the worst radio announcers I ever listened. Never really knew who was playing for SHC, never really knew the score. Also, the announcer referred the whole game to SHC as "San Francisco".
I noticed that too. Also, the sound was distorted and the PA announcer was loud enough to interfere. I even sent a message that the sound was only on the right channel and they corrected it.
Coach tweeted a link to Anthony Heard highlights.

Should be a good game. Palma offense is very balanced this season.Sergent their QB is good and very accurate. They also have a D1 prospect at RB who didn't get lots of carries because game was so one sided. The game was over at midway of the 2nd quarter and so tough to know how good against a stout defense. Palma's defense looks to be better than last season. Starters were out at half. Tough against the pass and quick on line. LBs need some experience. Should be a good game.

Palma RB Anthony Villegas finished with 101 yards on just 13 carries for Palma in its win over Soledad..

Last edited:
Should be a good game. Palma offense is very balanced this season.Sergent their QB is good and very accurate. They also have a D1 prospect at RB who didn't get lots of carries because game was so one sided. The game was over at midway of the 2nd quarter and so tough to know how good against a stout defense. Palma's defense looks to be better than last season. Starters were out at half. Tough against the pass and quick on line. LBs need some experience. Should be a good game.

Palma RB Anthony Villegas finished with 101 yards on just 13 carries for Palma in its win over Soledad..
NorCal , is Anthony the younger brother of a Villegas (forgot his first name) that was Palma’s RB in 2015 that went up against Riordan in the CCS semis? He was a beast and was an overall competitive game til the end!

No. That was Emilio Martinez who started as a freshman at Univ of San Diego and is the featured RB there this year. Very similar RB. Anthony is a little bigger and fast. Viegas also gets stronger as the game goes. That was a good game against Riordan I was there.

Reactions: jordan24
The MaxPreps "Recap" posted a highlight video of the game and while I don't trust their stats completely, they did list SHC with 252 total yards vs. Fernley's 81, 166 passing yards vs. 55 and 86 vs. 26 rushing yards.

So how strong is Fernley?
Last season, I would say they're on a par with mid-level PAL teams. This year, not as good. Especially on defense. They only had one fumble but had less than 100 total yards. They lost to 5412th ranked Truckee last week 34-17.
Palma might be a better indicator of how good SHC is.

NorCal , is Anthony the younger brother of a Villegas (forgot his first name) that was Palma’s RB in 2015 that went up against Riordan in the CCS semis? He was a beast and was an overall competitive game til the end!
I did forget to mention Emilio's younger brother is on Palma. He's starting corner Mateo martinez and at 6-0, 160, is a very good DB and he also is backup RB and will see time at RB as well. Viegas if he can stay healthy should have a huge year.

Reactions: jordan24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT