ADVERTISEMENT

SHC loses to Monterey

Mr. Monroe, you have raised an outstanding child in Bryce. From an individual analysis, I havent seen/read anything/anyone criticizing Bryce's play. The kid flat out hoops and doesnt show up anyone. I see Bryce have a bounce to his step after nailing a 3. From what I've seen, the kid is class and a real leader. Thank you.

You point out a very important point in that the kids do show they like playing for MacKay. Reading teenagers team attitudes is as clear as glass. It was nice to finally see the SH kids actually enjoy playing for each other and their coach. However, sick or not, unfortunately the loss yesterday was a top to bottom disappointment. Can only hope next year will be the year SH puts it all together.

Lastly, we live in the superteam/super friends era. Lets get Jelani to come over to SH.

I was all for Lani going to Riordan, Buck was there and his Uncle. Our families tried to give them a break from one another as Lani pretty much lives with me during the Spring and Summer. They play AAU ball together.
As far as the negative stuff. I have read a few things but kept my silence. Last night was disappointing but you know how it goes. All the best coaches are in the stands! Lol...I wish the Seniors Amin and Gary could have been a part of a big turn around.

But give the benefit of the doubt, those players were not MacKay's players and were from that "toxic" era. Your right they were not his players and Mackay treated them as such. But toxic era, I would have to disagree. Romelo Dunbar, great kid, Ramsey Carter great kid was never developed and used in the right position, by either coach, Nathan Robinson great kid. People blame the kids, blame the environment, hell blame the parents. Mackay has his guy/s now so just let him do what he has been doing. No need to make a change in coaching, parents are ok with the results, admin is ok with the results, so who are we to say changes should or should not be made.

He had some tough games. The second Riordan game was his worst game of 20 plus games . He does what the team needs. He took a beating , mentally and physically but kept moving forward for the team. Appreciate the achnowledgement.

I've long been a fan of Bryce's game going back to fourth / fifth grade as my son's AAU team played against the Oakland Rebels teams that I know you coached. Great to see the continued progression in his game over the years! The kid competes like no other and plays with supreme confidence!

drmarkppd -- Nice to see your son do extremely well this year at LL! He's been a real shot in the arm for their program. Good luck in NoCal Regional play!

Riordan has a tough game. Mohammad Adams is a player for Monterey. There are no easy games this time of year. And you talk down on the AAA. MISSION is good and they might can make another run at state if they get past Lowell...

How do we measure a coaches success? The last 2 years SHC has finished at the bottom half of the league, doesn't have any quality wins, and has had the #1 seed in CCS and lost. Last year he had Robinson (who was supposed to be from the toxic era) who transferred to a team with similar talent at Las Lomas and this year has led that team in their division finals (guess he wasn't so toxic), Monroe as a freshman, Neal, Oglesby, Hudson, Dunbar and Carter and lost in the first round with a #1 seed. How else are we measuring McKay's success? Is he making his players better? Monroe averages good numbers but is McKay taking Monroe's game and translating that into making his teammates better? I've only seen a hand full of games but I haven't seen it. It's been a one on one show for Monroe or Neal with out any structured offense. With skilled position players a coach will need more on the X's and O's end to win in the WCAL and in this section. For what ever reason Ryan Daly (also the Irish quarterback) and a good basketball player transfers to St. Francis and Jack Sinkovitch another 6'6 athletic player gets cut. I'm not sure what's going on on Ellis but my guess is they will be sending the Bat Signal to LyRyan Russell soon!

How do we measure a coaches success? The last 2 years SHC has finished at the bottom half of the league, doesn't have any quality wins, and has had the #1 seed in CCS and lost. Last year he had Robinson (who was supposed to be from the toxic era) who transferred to a team with similar talent at Las Lomas and this year has led that team in their division finals (guess he wasn't so toxic), Monroe as a freshman, Neal, Oglesby, Hudson, Dunbar and Carter and lost in the first round with a #1 seed. How else are we measuring McKay's success? Is he making his players better? Monroe averages good numbers but is McKay taking Monroe's game and translating that into making his teammates better? I've only seen a hand full of games but I haven't seen it. It's been a one on one show for Monroe or Neal with out any structured offense. With skilled position players a coach will need more on the X's and O's end to win in the WCAL and in this section. For what ever reason Ryan Daly (also the Irish quarterback) and a good basketball player transfers to St. Francis and Jack Sinkovitch another 6'6 athletic player gets cut. I'm not sure what's going on on Ellis but my guess is they will be sending the Bat Signal to LyRyan Russell soon!

I'll clarify toxic. It is not pertaining to ONE person, or TWO persons. It was a collective effort from Administration, Parents, Coaches, and Players. The post Fox/Johns years I would classify as not a good time in SH boys hoops history as this a collection on bad ingredients from top to bottom. I'm glad Nate Robinson is succeeding at LL. I hope they go far. I'm glad Alfred Hollins is playing meaningful minutes as a freshman at Oregon St. These were just kids finding their own footing in life and figuring it out. So they didnt have the success at SH as we all would have liked, but good to know they are doing well and growing elsewhere.

Interesting comments from the parents on this thread. Thank you for your perspective.
I will be the first to admit that sometimes our passion to see the success of our School's programs takes over often at the expense of its coaches and even players. Certainly not aimed with malicious intent or ill-will (well, except maybe from Fubo Lol). Unless we step into the shoes of the coaches and players - we really do not know the back story if, say, they had a bad showing or lacked any emotion, we immediately jump all over them. We may not know there was the flu bug going around, undisclosed injuries, @ home issues, mid-terms/finals, SATs, etc. I have to give credit to the coaches, players and families who sacrifice their time and effort for these extracurricular activities and we really don't have the right to criticize behind a screen name.
For that, I truly apologize if I have offended anyone and will keep my posts thoughtful and light moving forward.
Now about those Crusader 6-7 and 6-9 twin transfers?!? Lol!
Riordan is in tough against Monterey as I thought they stepped up their defense in the second half and gained confidence as their shots started falling. I don't think SHC is going away, though, too much talent. But, Bryce is always welcome to make a move to Phelan Ave.
Riordan showed nice patience against Mills 2-3 zone and the gameplan worked as the Crusaders started hitting their shots against the zone in the second half and played tight defense throughout.
Looking forward to Saturday's final. Go Crusaders!

I'll clarify toxic. It is not pertaining to ONE person, or TWO persons. It was a collective effort from Administration, Parents, Coaches, and Players. The post Fox/Johns years I would classify as not a good time in SH boys hoops history as this a collection on bad ingredients from top to bottom. I'm glad Nate Robinson is succeeding at LL. I hope they go far. I'm glad Alfred Hollins is playing meaningful minutes as a freshman at Oregon St. These were just kids finding their own footing in life and figuring it out. So they didnt have the success at SH as we all would have liked, but good to know they are doing well and growing elsewhere.

I understand what you meant and I agree that it’s a variety of things that determine the type of environment a program has. Obviously those kids that have moved in from SHC that we’re a part of that “toxic” Era have found coaches and places where they are able to thrive and be productive on and off the court. At the end of the day that boils down to coaches and admisnistration controling that environment and holding student athletes accountable. Through accountability these coaches may have lost a couple players but to lose a state championship caliber team due to lack of accountability is a shame. These are kids what we are talking about at the end of the day. If you let them run wild guess what, they will run wild. My opinion is that the current coaching situation is no different than the previous one on the court. I still don’t see any accountability but I guess as long as the off the court issues are kept to a minimum the admin is ok with the program they have

Interesting comments from the parents on this thread. Thank you for your perspective.
I will be the first to admit that sometimes our passion to see the success of our School's programs takes over often at the expense of its coaches and even players. Certainly not aimed with malicious intent or ill-will (well, except maybe from Fubo Lol). Unless we step into the shoes of the coaches and players - we really do not know the back story if, say, they had a bad showing or lacked any emotion, we immediately jump all over them. We may not know there was the flu bug going around, undisclosed injuries, @ home issues, mid-terms/finals, SATs, etc. I have to give credit to the coaches, players and families who sacrifice their time and effort for these extracurricular activities and we really don't have the right to criticize behind a screen name.
For that, I truly apologize if I have offended anyone and will keep my posts thoughtful and light moving forward.
Now about those Crusader 6-7 and 6-9 twin transfers?!? Lol!
Riordan is in tough against Monterey as I thought they stepped up their defense in the second half and gained confidence as their shots started falling. I don't think SHC is going away, though, too much talent. But, Bryce is always welcome to make a move to Phelan Ave.
Riordan showed nice patience against Mills 2-3 zone and the gameplan worked as the Crusaders started hitting their shots against the zone in the second half and played tight defense throughout.
Looking forward to Saturday's final. Go Crusaders!
As a parent and a coach I will say this and will go back into my shell. You have the right to your opinion and can go as hard as you want. It's not my right to try and curve anybody's opinions or thoughts. Some people on here have great insight but at times just are not backed up with facts or really seeing things for what it is. When people speak on things just really look at it. The highlights are up all over the internet. Every team wanted to take Bryce and EJ out the game. There is a reason for that. If they weren't good , they would not do that . Bryce would not be getting D1 scholarship offers as a Sophomore if he wasn't doing the things that can help a team. He isn't 6"5...He is a 5'11 guard that is hard to guard or stop.
Some people will say Sacred Heart has underachieved. Some people will say overachieved. How good of a backcourt would Sacred Heart been if kids would not have transferred Out? We will never know. Kids have left SHC and it's not always about the basketball . Today is so much different with the "me Now, me first", rankings and the Social Media.
Every one has their own angle. I only posted a response today as things where be colored that the kids at SHC play one on one , Bryce needs to play with Coach Sean, etc...I have been coaching basketball way before my son picked up a ball. I Played high school in the Bay Area for a dominant high school program. So I say this knowing the game. Sometimes you have to play the hand that you are dealt. Some Coaches and Players do well no matter what cards they are dealt, some don't.
I am rooting for Riordan in the Ship .

So this is Bryce Dad...I dont hide my name and I never post on this board . End of the season but let me say this cause I have read a lot on this site . First of all , my son is 16 years old. Not a hold back . We pay tuition for my son to attend Sacred Heart. He isn't on scholarship. You are absolutely correct about it being a team game. Bryce leads the teams in more than the scoring category, Assists is one of them.
There is a reason that when he is on the court he has been game planned against. They double teamed him the whole game yesterday and still finished with 28 points and 6 assists and 5 rebounds .
I am not going to make any excuses for the loss or coaching but you win some and you lose some. Please believe when I say , Bryce likes his coach at Sacred Heart but before you speak of place where you just don't know, get some facts. Bryce , EJ and Elijah have been sick all week but still came out and played hard. Coaches can lay the plan out but kids have to execute...but
Bryce could have went anywhere in the WCAL and still do what he does . Je'lani Clark and Bryce are like brothers , have played together since 5th grade. Jamal Baugh is Bryce uncle at St. Ignatius(assistant var coach). My oldest son was an all league football player at Serra(graduated in 2016).
That's all I will say about where he could play.
Bryce averaged 22 points in league, 23 points in Preseason and in two playoff games 28 points per game.
Good thing the 7 division college coaches that have offered Bryce recognizes his special talent as well as opposing coaches. First Team all WCAL as a sophomore. I am through venting but for anybody that want to speak on my child. Holler at his dad from now on.
Bryce was the the bright spot on the team. My observations are on the coaching staff lack of running any offense. Coach McKay depended on your son too much. Yes, he was up to the task, but the team was exposed very early as one dimensional (your son being the cog). This is not a slight on his teammates either, for the most-part a talented group of young men, without a true option in the paint. But it was apparent that the four assistant coaches, let alone the head coach could not get most out of the team aspect of playing in the WCAL and because of their record, still have enough to carry them through DIII sectional title. Losing in WCAL matches can be justified when going against experienced coaching; historically losing to non-league teams before lower level sectional finals reflects on coaches, not the kids. I have been around this league for 50 years. I know when I see competent WCAL coaching. I hope your son gets the coaching his play reflects (and at SHC).

Last edited:
Forslund would expected his kids to learn the game and play defense too. The kids would have complained and SHC administration would have bowed to parent complaints.
Not so fast, when it was announced that Rich was a possibility the players were excited. They all knew what Rich was about and knew he would make EVERYONE better. I have known him for years, great honest guy, no BS, Awesome coach and all about development on and off the court with proven results. Please don't blame the players for adult decisions.

He played great every time I saw him.
drmarkppd -- Nice to see your son do extremely well this year at LL! He's been a real shot in the arm for their program. Good luck in NoCal Regional play!

Dr. Mark would you allow your younger sons to attend SHC in the future?. Ive seen your little guy at the basketball games during half time..I know sending your kids to private school so far was a difficult decision but wanted to know your opinion if you may.

As a parent and a coach I will say this and will go back into my shell. You have the right to your opinion and can go as hard as you want. It's not my right to try and curve anybody's opinions or thoughts. Some people on here have great insight but at times just are not backed up with facts or really seeing things for what it is. When people speak on things just really look at it. The highlights are up all over the internet. Every team wanted to take Bryce and EJ out the game. There is a reason for that. If they weren't good , they would not do that . Bryce would not be getting D1 scholarship offers as a Sophomore if he wasn't doing the things that can help a team. He isn't 6"5...He is a 5'11 guard that is hard to guard or stop.
Some people will say Sacred Heart has underachieved. Some people will say overachieved. How good of a backcourt would Sacred Heart been if kids would not have transferred Out? We will never know. Kids have left SHC and it's not always about the basketball . Today is so much different with the "me Now, me first", rankings and the Social Media.
Every one has their own angle. I only posted a response today as things where be colored that the kids at SHC play one on one , Bryce needs to play with Coach Sean, etc...I have been coaching basketball way before my son picked up a ball. I Played high school in the Bay Area for a dominant high school program. So I say this knowing the game. Sometimes you have to play the hand that you are dealt. Some Coaches and Players do well no matter what cards they are dealt, some don't.
I am rooting for Riordan in the Ship .

Bryce is awesome, and plenty happy he is at SHC, you are not lying when you said any Wcal would have taken him but he choose SHC.... I also have seen you and your family on the stands. There is no bigger cheerleader, even met your older son who told me he went to Serra (Serra game)...Love the fact that you guys are a tight close family. Go Irish, it will be sweeter soon enough.

Dr. Mark would you allow your younger sons to attend SHC in the future?. I've seen your little guy at the basketball games during half time..I know sending your kids to private school so far was a difficult decision but wanted to know your opinion if you may.
That's a great question, lol. But the answer is not a simple yes or no. Nathan wanted to attend SHCP once he attended Irish for a Day. He fell in love with the place, teachers, students, etc. Honestly, we knew very little about the basketball program or DB at that time. As parents, we all want the best education for our kids and desire to see them happy, so we supported Nathan decision.
We were never promised anything from SHCP except a quality education and a great learning experience, and they truly delivered. We as parents failed to review and examine and/or discuss our expectations from a basketball standpoint. Playing HS sports is a 50/50 deal. Every coach has expectations, and the representatives (parents) of the kids have expectations. Our expectations were never presented initially (our fault) on Nathan's overall development, our expectations on winning a league championship, our expectations on playing the sport, in this case, basketball, the right way. And by the right way, I mean team basketball which as you know requires ball movement, accountability on defense, making the extra pass, etc.
My two little fellas have a much better foundation of the fundamentals than Nathan did at their age because they started playing earlier and have been able to watch Nathan develop. SO, LOL, the long answer, we would support both of them attending the school of their choice, but if they desire to play sport, expectations must be discussed and defined before we support their selection. Thank God we have some years before it comes to that. LOL

Not so fast, when it was announced that Rich was a possibility the players were excited. They all knew what Rich was about and knew he would make EVERYONE better. I have known him for years, great honest guy, no BS, Awesome coach and all about development on and off the court with proven results. Please don't blame the players for adult decisions.
My point was the parents ultimately make an issue of it, (just like HMB).

I just want to chime in and say that with the hand that the SHC coaches were dealt I think they actually had a pretty good year. If you look at league play as a whole their only bad loss was to Bellarmine at Bellarmine ( league champion). The next time they played them it could have gone either way. Every other game came down to the wire and could have been won by SHC. I understand at the end of the day it doesnt matter because those are losses, but you have a young talented team that played well against all teams in the WCAL. Next year they will be loaded and we will get a bigger picture on how this staff can really coach. I say those close losses turn into wins next year and they are either 1 or 2 in the WCAL.

I just want to chime in and say that with the hand that the SHC coaches were dealt I think they actually had a pretty good year. If you look at league play as a whole their only bad loss was to Bellarmine at Bellarmine ( league champion). The next time they played them it could have gone either way. Every other game came down to the wire and could have been won by SHC. I understand at the end of the day it doesnt matter because those are losses, but you have a young talented team that played well against all teams in the WCAL. Next year they will be loaded and we will get a bigger picture on how this staff can really coach. I say those close losses turn into wins next year and they are either 1 or 2 in the WCAL.

Moral victory this year? Loaded with what talent? Losing Oglesby and Hudson will be huge for them. Both JV and Freshman teams didn't have much talent and finished at the bottom of the league also. Aside from Monroe and Neal what talent do you see? Coaching brings the best out of role players and right now McKay isn't as seasoned as he needs to be in the WCAL. It will be interesting to see how long admin give him to produce a quality season. Not having any real connection to the city will hurt his recruiting and he will have trouble getting city kids to go there.

Reactions: Brazille
Moral victory this year? Loaded with what talent? Losing Oglesby and Hudson will be huge for them. Both JV and Freshman teams didn't have much talent and finished at the bottom of the league also. Aside from Monroe and Neal what talent do you see? Coaching brings the best out of role players and right now McKay isn't as seasoned as he needs to be in the WCAL. It will be interesting to see how long admin give him to produce a quality season. Not having any real connection to the city will hurt his recruiting and he will have trouble getting city kids to go there.
With the core they have and this year as experience under their belt they will be solid. In your eyes how many wins should SHC have had this year? You cant win any games with just two players, basketball is a team sport and they wouldnt have been in any of those games without the role players. Talent is not just scoring.

With the core they have and this year as experience under their belt they will be solid. In your eyes how many wins should SHC have had this year? You cant win any games with just two players, basketball is a team sport and they wouldnt have been in any of those games without the role players. Talent is not just scoring.

Considering they played absolutely nobody in the preseason I don't think they were prepared for the regular season. I do think with this team they should have won at least 20 games. That's winning the cupcake pre-season schedule they had and half of the league games pretty much Especially considering that this was a down year for the WCAL. This year in particular they didn't just have 2 players on offense or defense. They had 4 Monroe, Neal, Oglesby, and Hudson. With another 2/3 players who if properly used as role players could have been effective. Also, considering he cut a 6'6 athlete and couldn't keep another 6'4 kid from transferring to St. Francis. Perfect example of coaching is one game Monroe goes 8-29, Neal 6-12 and Oglesby 6-10. Any kid shooting 8-29 with 2 other players shooting close to 50% with out any plays being ran for them speaks to coaching IMO. Defensive and offensive in game adjustments were not there either. Neal is one of the best athletes in the league and is camped out at the 3pt line shooting jumpers all season. They have just as much talent as any other WCAL team but the coaching wasn't there

Considering they played absolutely nobody in the preseason I don't think they were prepared for the regular season. I do think with this team they should have won at least 20 games. That's winning the cupcake pre-season schedule they had and half of the league games pretty much Especially considering that this was a down year for the WCAL. This year in particular they didn't just have 2 players on offense or defense. They had 4 Monroe, Neal, Oglesby, and Hudson. With another 2/3 players who if properly used as role players could have been effective. Also, considering he cut a 6'6 athlete and couldn't keep another 6'4 kid from transferring to St. Francis. Perfect example of coaching is one game Monroe goes 8-29, Neal 6-12 and Oglesby 6-10. Any kid shooting 8-29 with 2 other players shooting close to 50% with out any plays being ran for them speaks to coaching IMO. Defensive and offensive in game adjustments were not there either. Neal is one of the best athletes in the league and is camped out at the 3pt line shooting jumpers all season. They have just as much talent as any other WCAL team but the coaching wasn't there
We can agree to disagree. So what happens when they win 20 games next year everyone will say "they were supposed to". Monterey was a gritty team that could play with most WCAL teams. I do agree where there could be some work with the offensive sets and I would hope that the staff will address that in the offseason. If they can figure that out and make some tweaks they will be formidable. They will be coming into next season with two future division 1 guards.

Reactions: Scott2138
Considering they played absolutely nobody in the preseason I don't think they were prepared for the regular season. I do think with this team they should have won at least 20 games. That's winning the cupcake pre-season schedule they had and half of the league games pretty much Especially considering that this was a down year for the WCAL. This year in particular they didn't just have 2 players on offense or defense. They had 4 Monroe, Neal, Oglesby, and Hudson. With another 2/3 players who if properly used as role players could have been effective. Also, considering he cut a 6'6 athlete and couldn't keep another 6'4 kid from transferring to St. Francis. Perfect example of coaching is one game Monroe goes 8-29, Neal 6-12 and Oglesby 6-10. Any kid shooting 8-29 with 2 other players shooting close to 50% with out any plays being ran for them speaks to coaching IMO. Defensive and offensive in game adjustments were not there either. Neal is one of the best athletes in the league and is camped out at the 3pt line shooting jumpers all season. They have just as much talent as any other WCAL team

We can agree to disagree. So what happens when they win 20 games next year everyone will say "they were supposed to". Monterey was a gritty team that could play with most WCAL teams. I do agree where there could be some work with the offensive sets and I would hope that the staff will address that in the offseason. If they can figure that out and make some tweaks they will be formidable. They will be coming into next season with two future division 1 guards.

Right, Monterey is a good team and that speaks to the down year the WCAL is having this year. Adjustments on offense and defense are the key to winning those close games for sure. The off season will be important for them moving forward.

Neal is one of the best athletes in the league and is camped out at the 3pt line shooting jumpers all season.

This is incorrect. EJ at the start of the year was not being aggressive going to the basket and was shooting very long 3s. The 2nd half of the league year until the end he was not camping out at the 3pt line. He was moving, driving to the basket, doing most of his scoring inside. This shows 1) he did not pigeon hole himself into thinking, I'm a 3 & D guy next level so thats all I'm going to do in high school. 2) EJ wants to win and if going scoring inside is what the team needed, then thats what hes going to do.

EJ is the type of player that other players on the team and in the future will want to emmulate. Playing for your team, not just for yourself. How many offensive foul charges has he drawn in the past two years? Too many to even count.

Good thing we have a nice long debate about a 6th place team again! All this talk about a team that is done....again....before they should have been. But no talk about the teams still playing.

*Also- Mr. Monroe, your son is talented in a high level league. Your skin needs to be tougher with criticisms if on this board. There has been generations of kids that have fathers on here and people just try to bait them. If you don't like it I would suggest you don't read this board. Seriously. Your kid if keeping it together academically has a division 1 future (I dont know either way on his academics but judging by the way he carries himself I imagine he is solid). Don't get mad at invisible people that will never sniff that level of play. This thing really aint worth your time.

Next year they will be loaded and we will get a bigger picture on how this staff can really coach. I say those close losses turn into wins next year and they are either 1 or 2 in the WCAL.

Expound on loaded. Who are the big men that are coming to help alleviate the double teams on Monroe and Neal? Because if there are no big men coming SH is not going to go deep next year. History says if we have big men (Fox, Johns, Greene, Brown), we go far.

Good thing we have a nice long debate about a 6th place team again! All this talk about a team that is done....again....before they should have been. But no talk about the teams still playing.

*Also- Mr. Monroe, your son is talented in a high level league. Your skin needs to be tougher with criticisms if on this board. There has been generations of kids that have fathers on here and people just try to bait them. If you don't like it I would suggest you don't read this board. Seriously. Your kid if keeping it together academically has a division 1 future (I dont know either way on his academics but judging by the way he carries himself I imagine he is solid). Don't get mad at invisible people that will never sniff that level of play. This thing really aint worth your time.
Don't need to be tougher...All you have to do is see Is I went to Mcclymonds to see how tough things can be. I respectfully asked to keep my son name out your mouth. As I don't hide behind a screen name. That's why you can call me by name . All the bashing of Coach Sean and etc...it's just too much. If you want to speak on things. Speak some facts ...You brought up stats from a game weeks ago. Crazy...but how many times is Bryce playing buzzer beater...getting the ball with 2 seconds left on the shot clock...or end of the quarter full court shots but your right.

Please keep my son name out your mouth and posts. Good to see you can bring up one game. Lol...You better take a look a the whole season. Not one game...but you don't have to. Just keep my son name out your mouth and posts. Thanks in advance . Tell me your name so I can look up your high school career and post some of your stuff.
Renard Monroe
Mcclymonds High
Class of 1993
OAL champs
26-1

I can actually bring up multiple games where adjustments haven't been made. They went 4-10 in league how much of the season do you really need me to bring up. They didn't play anybody in the pre-season so there's nothing to discuss there. My post wasn't directed towards you or your son but towards the adjustments that are not made by the coaching staff. Those adjustments would actually help your son develop into a better player than he already is. I didn't allow your son to take those shots or put him in a position to not be successful so you shouldn't have any frustration directed towards me. I'm not on here to single out any kids on a message board just stating facts. You want another game how about the St. Francis game where they came out and scored 7 points in the 3rd quarter and gave up 25. There was an adjustment made by St. Francis and none made by SHC which cost SHC that game also.

I do appreciate you posting your credentials. Is that supposed to impress someone or give you credibility? I'm not sure what your trying to do by posting that. You won the OAL in 1993. Congrats, I'm sure that was tough as the OAL was a tough league 20 years ago. However, what does that have to do with the coaching adjustments that aren't being made at SHC? What do your credentials have to do with your son playing right now? I could post my name and my accomplishments which are much more than a league title over 20 years ago but that's irrelevant. I'm simply discussing coaching and adjustments on offense and defense and it so happened to effect your sons performance in this particular example.

At the end of the day this is a message board and public forum full of opinions. Some you may like some you may not. For the most part most of us do not talk down on kids or single them out. However, there are some not so nice people on here who will have you for lunch responding the way you did. If your sons name being brought up on a message board bothers you it might be a good idea not to pay attention to it especially when a coach is under fire. With that being said good luck to you and your son. If he continues to develop he will have continued success. With a little bit of coaching sky's the limit.

Last edited:
Don't need to be tougher...All you have to do is see Is I went to Mcclymonds to see how tough things can be. I respectfully asked to keep my son name out your mouth. As I don't hide behind a screen name. That's why you can call me by name . All the bashing of Coach Sean and etc...it's just too much. If you want to speak on things. Speak some facts ...You brought up stats from a game weeks ago. Crazy...but how many times is Bryce playing buzzer beater...getting the ball with 2 seconds left on the shot clock...or end of the quarter full court shots but your right.

I am thankful Mr. Monroe does not act like Lavar Ball.

This is incorrect. EJ at the start of the year was not being aggressive going to the basket and was shooting very long 3s. The 2nd half of the league year until the end he was not camping out at the 3pt line. He was moving, driving to the basket, doing most of his scoring inside. This shows 1) he did not pigeon hole himself into thinking, I'm a 3 & D guy next level so thats all I'm going to do in high school. 2) EJ wants to win and if going scoring inside is what the team needed, then thats what hes going to do.

EJ is the type of player that other players on the team and in the future will want to emmulate. Playing for your team, not just for yourself. How many offensive foul charges has he drawn in the past two years? Too many to even count.

We can agree to disagree on the 3's as I still think he takes to many long and contested 3's to be as athletic as he is. I think that's a coaching issue. If you have a kid with that athleticism and you allow him to shoot deep 3's and do not draw up plays for him to shoot uncontested 3's or get to the basket speaks to a coaching disadvantage IMO. A kid can't pigeon hole himself into doing anything that's coaching. From what I see there weren't any plays drawn up on offense to make it easier for these players to score. Neal seems to be a good teammate no argument there so I'm not sure where that's coming from. I'm speaking about coaching and adjustments so what are your thoughts on the COACHING and ADJUSTMENTS at SHC?

Reactions: CityVibesII
We can agree to disagree on the 3's as I still think he takes to many long and contested 3's to be as athletic as he is. I think that's a coaching issue. If you have a kid with that athleticism and you allow him to shoot deep 3's and do not draw up plays for him to shoot uncontested 3's or get to the basket speaks to a coaching disadvantage IMO. A kid can't pigeon hole himself into doing anything that's coaching. From what I see there weren't any plays drawn up on offense to make it easier for these players to score. Neal seems to be a good teammate no argument there so I'm not sure where that's coming from. I'm speaking about coaching and adjustments so what are your thoughts on the COACHING and ADJUSTMENTS at SHC?

I think your frustration was culminated in the CLOSE loss to Monterey. I think we were all disappointed in the season ending so early. There is something in your analysis of coaching and drawing up plays and maybe that wasnt as emphasized, but honestly I like my chances with the ball in Bryce Monroe's hands at the top of the key and him driving to the hoop. He's proven in a VERY TOUGH league that he can get 20-25 a night, while being doubled, pressed, and with no real sub on the bench to give him a breather.... AS A SOPHOMORE......... who is 5'11......... The last SH guy to put up comparable numbers for his grade like this was Albert Johnson Jr.

If your arguement was effort on both ends, just remember a good number of the kids played sick according to previous posters. So given that information, I wouldnt question the effort of those kids that played ill. They did more than they probably could of given the health circumstance.

I don't know about Sinkovitz but I was surprised he was not on the team, he was a young bloomer but they could have used his size and honestly would have been better or just as good as Oscar Cheng playing in the WCAL. As for Daly, I think that has more to do where his family lives or moved to (peninsula), but Im not sure because their are enough Dalys that have went to SHC since the beginning of time.

I think your frustration was culminated in the CLOSE loss to Monterey. I think we were all disappointed in the season ending so early. There is something in your analysis of coaching and drawing up plays and maybe that wasnt as emphasized, but honestly I like my chances with the ball in Bryce Monroe's hands at the top of the key and him driving to the hoop. He's proven in a VERY TOUGH league that he can get 20-25 a night, while being doubled, pressed, and with no real sub on the bench to give him a breather.... AS A SOPHOMORE......... who is 5'11......... The last SH guy to put up comparable numbers for his grade like this was Albert Johnson Jr.

If your arguement was effort on both ends, just remember a good number of the kids played sick according to previous posters. So given that information, I wouldnt question the effort of those kids that played ill. They did more than they probably could of given the health circumstance.
Nobody had a quicker first step than Albert Johnson Jr., throw in LaRyan Russell and a decent post game, that was a solid group.

My thoughts are from 2 entire seasons not any one game alone. I do not question the kids efforts they seem to always play hard. Unfortunately playing hard doesn’t always win games. Your right Monroe has proved he can get 20-25 in a tough league going one on one from the top of the Key. That offense has translated to a 4-10 record in league and a CCS loss with a #1 seed. Coaching adjustments might make it easier for Monroe to score and possibly score more in an effective offense that keeps him moving and the ball moving. That would also free up other players and allow other weapons to be used. You seem to know the WCAL and Dan Francisco Basketball landscape. Do you think we’re having this conversation about these results if Forslund or Russell were the coach?

I like the Johnson comparison. He was a stud with one of the best pull up jumpers I’ve seen in high school.

Expound on loaded. Who are the big men that are coming to help alleviate the double teams on Monroe and Neal? Because if there are no big men coming SH is not going to go deep next year. History says if we have big men (Fox, Johns, Greene, Brown), we go far.

Yes who do you see coming? We know the guards are there at SHC even one or two moving up from the Freshman A team, but tell me we have a at least one BIG coming in that would change the defensive side of things so the guards don't have to play so hard every game..... Riordan will be a different team next year with the BIGS that transferred in, and they had one that was injured all year too that will be playing next year.

My thoughts are from 2 entire seasons not any one game alone. I do not question the kids efforts they seem to always play hard. Unfortunately playing hard doesn’t always win games. Your right Monroe has proved he can get 20-25 in a tough league going one on one from the top of the Key. That offense has translated to a 4-10 record in league and a CCS loss with a #1 seed. Coaching adjustments might make it easier for Monroe to score and possibly score more in an effective offense that keeps him moving and the ball moving. That would also free up other players and allow other weapons to be used. You seem to know the WCAL and Dan Francisco Basketball landscape. Do you think we’re having this conversation about these results if Forslund or Russell were the coach?

I like the Johnson comparison. He was a stud with one of the best pull up jumpers I’ve seen in high school.

Where did Johnson go to college after HS?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT