ADVERTISEMENT

SHC loses to Monterey

I don't know about Sinkovitz but I was surprised he was not on the team, he was a young bloomer but they could have used his size and honestly would have been better or just as good as Oscar Cheng playing in the WCAL. As for Daly, I think that has more to do where his family lives or moved to (peninsula), but Im not sure because their are enough Dalys that have went to SHC since the beginning of time.

IMO Sinkovitz could have filled a void until Cheng developed. He’s probtably one of the most athletic students at the school at 6’6. Daly’s family has been there forever and he was already going there and commuting. The commute to St Francis can’t be any better or worst. Im not sure what happened but those are a few players that could definitely help this roster

Reactions: Scott2138
We can agree to disagree. So what happens when they win 20 games next year everyone will say "they were supposed to". Monterey was a gritty team that could play with most WCAL teams. I do agree where there could be some work with the offensive sets and I would hope that the staff will address that in the offseason. If they can figure that out and make some tweaks they will be formidable. They will be coming into next season with two future division 1 guards.

Im not sure about loaded, see the BIGS Riordan just got transferring in, we need just one of those to help the defense out. But otherwise, I don't see SHC in the 1 or 2 position next year.

Nobody had a quicker first step than Albert Johnson Jr., throw in LaRyan Russell and a decent post game, that was a solid group.

Favorite Albert Johnson moment was undoubtedly his mini windmill jam in the Bruce Mahoney game. I dont remember what year but it may have been either his sophomore or junior year.

That team, 1996, was a pick your poison team. That starting 5 was as complete of as you can get.

Favorite Albert Johnson moment was undoubtedly his mini windmill jam in the Bruce Mahoney game. I dont remember what year but it may have been either his sophomore or junior year.

That team, 1996, was a pick your poison team. That starting 5 was as complete of as you can get.

Agreed!

Do you think we’re having this conversation about these results if Forslund or Russell were the coach?.

You can put in George Cosmos, Tim Burke, John Perez, or Darrell Barbour out there and it doesnt matter as unless you have a 6'6-6'7 beast in the middle. Talent wins over coaching. Do you think Gary McKnight is a good coach? Great players make a coach look really good.

You can put in George Cosmos, Tim Burke, John Perez, or Darrell Barbour out there and it doesnt matter as unless you have a 6'6-6'7 beast in the middle. Talent wins over coaching. Do you think Gary McKnight is a good coach? Great players make a coach look really good.

It depends on what you measure success by. I don’t think we needed anybody 6’7 to win more than 4 games in league this year. Barbour went to state a few years ago
With out anybody dominate in the post.

Reactions: 5MatchUp
A beast is necessary when the league is full of beasts but outside of stubblefield there really were no dominant post players this year. Secondly, if you make a blanket statement like talent beats coaching than you know nothing of the WCAL. Case in point, look at SI. Do you think the Cats had third place talent? On the flip side, look at Serra. How many coaches would trade rosters with the Padres? Yet Serra with no bigs at all goes 7-7 in league. I think SH, Riordan and VC will always struggle due to coaching. Kennedy, Rapp and Schneider are just so much better than the other guys.

Reactions: CityVibesII

Absolutely. I didn't get to see the 1972 team so unless somebody did see both teams, I'd say this was the school's best-ever team. My favorite Albert Johnson, Jr. moment was him nailing a 45-foot buzzer-beater at the half of the 1997 playoff against SI.

When did George Cosmos coach? He's all-baseball all the time. Unless you meant Gerry Phillips.

Reactions: CityVibesII
Can we end this crap now ...... come on there are championship games being played.

Absolutely. I didn't get to see the 1972 team so unless somebody did see both teams, I'd say this was the school's best-ever team. My favorite Albert Johnson, Jr. moment was him nailing a 45-foot buzzer-beater at the half of the 1997 playoff against SI.
Was arguably SHC best team since 1972 squad. Very complete. Got upset by Ali Thomas Cats in semi finals in CCS and could not advance. LaBaugh has a career game for S.I and beat the vaunted Balboa Jet team in a OT thriller in NorCal 1st Round at packed Kezar. All the talk was Jet Offense and S.I. forced Balboa into half-court sets.

LaRyan Russell running the boys would be intriguing. Too bad SH grad Zelaya from Mission wasn't available. Talk about smothering defense and multiple (adjustable) offensive sets. They run a mind-boggling Princeton set.

Last edited:
Was arguably SHC best team since 1972 squad. Very complete. Got upset by Ali Thomas Cats in semi finals in CCS and could not advance. LaBaugh has a career game for S.I and beat the vaunted Balboa Jet team in a OT thriller in NorCal 1st Round at packed Kezar. All the talk was Jet Offense and S.I. forced Balboa into half-court sets.

LaRyan Russell running the boys would be intriguing. Too bad SH grad Zelaya from Mission wasn't available. Talk about smothering defense and multiple (adjustable) offensive sets. They run a mind-boggling Princeton set.
It only took one incorrect call to cost us that CCS game. Albert Johnson Jr. was tackled on a break to the basket near the end of the game. The ref called the foul but didn't call it a breakaway, which it clearly was. Otherwise, it would have been our ball afterward and not SI's.

It only took one incorrect call to cost us that CCS game. Albert Johnson Jr. was tackled on a break to the basket near the end of the game. The ref called the foul but didn't call it a breakaway, which it clearly was. Otherwise, it would have been our ball afterward and not SI's.

Great times and memories from that group. Hopefully we can put the pieces back together soon. It's cold in the cellar at the bottom of the league :)

I was at that game and it was an obvious intentional foul. But in all honesty, as good as SHC was that year, it should not have come down to one call.

I was at that game and it was an obvious intentional foul. But in all honesty, as good as SHC was that year, it should not have come down to one call.
I know. That's what gets me about these games, but this call should have been called a breakaway. Irish were clearly the better team. The big difference is that the team that gets fouled on a breakaway gets the next possession. That made all the difference.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT