ADVERTISEMENT

Should de la salle lose...then what?

Jfoyosoul

Superstar
Aug 21, 2015
Hypothetical...if Liberty beats DLS but lets say on a last minute field goal or last minute stop up by 3...

Who goes to Open? Folsom or Liberty? Maxpreps says Liberty while Cal Hi says probably Folsom (feels CIF would think Folsom is a better match up for MD).

I live in Folsom and follow them closely and although it would be a close decision I believe Folsom should get nod for a few reasons: I think Folsom has a stronger statewide and CIF history, I think they are the more talented team, the defense is playing just as well as Liberty (Folsom starters have been pulled every game by early 3rd quarter), and I think people and CIF would rather see Folsom vs MD than Liberty vs MD. While I know you can look head to head matchups which is a huge factor but then again Folsom's loss was in week 0 in concord with 5 turnovers and they held dls to 14 points and folsom would have been up 7 - 0 if not for bad ref call (total momentun changer) and since then Folsom has been untouchable...Liberty wouldnt have a schedule and be undefeated against DO, Chaminade, Jesuit all of whom Folsom has crushed.

Now if Liberty does win and they get open nod, is it a Folsom DLS rematch in D1AA or is it Folsom Central D1AA and DLS vs St Francis in a rematch or D1A?

Reactions: advin
If De La Salle loses (Give up hope, Dreams are for suckas) then nod should go to Liberty or Central, not Folsom.

Both teams are undefeated. Liberty's big win would come against De La Salle while Central's coming in form of an ass-whooping they gave Buchanan.

The NOD at that point should probably go to Liberty. Not for beating De La Salle but for beating a team who hasn't lost to a school within a 3 mile radius in over 25 years. Yes, Both Central and Folsom are within that 3 hour radius.

But it won't happen. Folsom should prepare itself for Central. Basically Grant with good coaching.

First off, we all know it's not going to happen. But if it did, Liberty would be undefeated and would get the nod. And I am so tired of hearing how Folsom's starters have been pulled every game by early 3rd quarter. Against Del Oro, they all played the entire game, even when they were up 40-0....and they played both ways...both Ngatas, Bennett, Badger, every one of them.

DLS/Liberty/Central. That's the order for open imo.
DLS clear favorite going in.
IF Liberty defeats DLS they all of a sudden are undefeated with the best signature win of the group.
Central is undefeated, had an easier time with Buchanan then DLS, but wouldn't have a signature win to compare with Liberty if Liberty were to knock off DLS.

That being said, it wouldn't shock me if Folsom were selected to rep NorCal in the Open.

People get so bent out of shape about a simple hypothetical question...and i knew i was off by one game in regards to folsom pulling starters against DO..which of the teams they played makes sense..but that was one minor mistake...outside of that and dls they have pulled starters on 9 other games...dls has had some close wins so in that regards dont fault me for my minor error..

As far as liberty or folsom in open..i think folsom would get nod for reaons already mentioned namely because of folsom's cif history and their lights outplay since an error filled week 1 on the road and because cif screwed up in 2014 by not doing nor cal open, unless liberty beat dls handily..really liberty central or folsom could go but i dont think central has an argument as strong as folsom or liberty...assuming dls wins i hope folsom plays liberty because i think they are stronger team than central and it would be a better match up..plus if folsom beats liberty by a better margin than dls it would bring up several interesting debates comparing folsom and dls...

If liberty does win and gets open who does folsom face in d1aa? Probably dls and then central vs sf in d1a?

I just dont think central is going to be able to stop folsom...i think really only MD and DLS could beat folsom and vice versa..the only teams left who could challenge MD are dls and folsom..end of story

Reactions: Sacchiefs
.plus if folsom beats liberty by a better margin than dls it would bring up several interesting debates comparing folsom and dls...
There would be NO DEBATE. Folsom lost to DLS. If DLS beats Liberty by 1 point or 60, DLS rightfully gets the Open bid. #daisychainsdontwork

Last edited:
Reactions: aztecpadre
People get so bent out of shape about a simple hypothetical question...and i knew i was off by one game in regards to folsom pulling starters against DO..which of the teams they played makes sense..but that was one minor mistake...outside of that and dls they have pulled starters on 9 other games...dls has had some close wins so in that regards dont fault me for my minor error..

As far as liberty or folsom in open..i think folsom would get nod for reaons already mentioned namely because of folsom's cif history and their lights outplay since an error filled week 1 on the road and because cif screwed up in 2014 by not doing nor cal open, unless liberty beat dls handily..really liberty central or folsom could go but i dont think central has an argument as strong as folsom or liberty...assuming dls wins i hope folsom plays liberty because i think they are stronger team than central and it would be a better match up..plus if folsom beats liberty by a better margin than dls it would bring up several interesting debates comparing folsom and dls...

If liberty does win and gets open who does folsom face in d1aa? Probably dls and then central vs sf in d1a?

I just dont think central is going to be able to stop folsom...i think really only MD and DLS could beat folsom and vice versa..the only teams left who could challenge MD are dls and folsom..end of story

Jfoy,
I like your enthusiasm and passion for your team! Nothing wrong with thinking of a possible way for your team to make it to the open this year. I get it. They started the year at number 1 over dls which says that their were a lot of people that felt that they were the best program in norcal, even tho dls hasnt lost to a norcal opponent. They've been the number 2 team all season since that week zero lose and since then they have been flat out dominate! I like folsom and would like to see them match up with MD in the open but i just dont see it happening if liberty wins. If liberty wins they will be ranked above dls and dls will still be ranked above folsom having already beat them. In this scenario we would get a dls/folsom rematch which folsom would have the oppurtunity to prove the week zero lose was a fluke. But to support your idea, if folsom beats monterey trail easily and liberty barely wins, maybe just maybe, there is a slim chance the committee will select folsom.

Reactions: concrete17
It
Jfoy,
I like your enthusiasm and passion for your team! Nothing wrong with thinking of a possible way for your team to make it to the open this year. I get it. They started the year at number 1 over dls which says that their were a lot of people that felt that they were the best program in norcal, even tho dls hasnt lost to a norcal opponent. They've been the number 2 team all season since that week zero lose and since then they have been flat out dominate! I like folsom and would like to see them match up with MD in the open but i just dont see it happening if liberty wins. If liberty wins they will be ranked above dls and dls will still be ranked above folsom having already beat them. In this scenario we would get a dls/folsom rematch which folsom would have the oppurtunity to prove the week zero lose was a fluke. But to support your idea, if folsom beats monterey trail easily and liberty barely wins, maybe just maybe, there is a slim chance the committee will select folsom.

Sacto.....You had me clapping in agreement until...........your closing sentance.
Then what does a concrete head know? Opinions are like butt holes, we all each have one and are pretty sure ours stinks less than the other guy's over there.o_O

Last edited:
Only DLS might have a chance to challenge MD. Folsom is not in that class to challenge MD. they would lose by 35-40 points.
Are you serious? Are you forgetting folsom only lost to dls 14-0 in concord with 5 turnovers with two turnovers in red zone and would have been up 7-0 if ref didnt blow it....if folsom had gone up i think different outcome to game...have you even seen either team play or did you even see the folsom de la salle game? Your arguement has no merit...are we forgetting until last weekend sjb was favored by a lot after crushing md, which is to say i think md would rightfully be favored but only dls and folsom could compete to some level...oh dont forget md and folsom have common opponent in st marys...whom md beat i think 56 - 0 or 56-7 n week 1 where folsom beat them 52 - 7 in the playoffs and sm had won 7 straight...i give props to liberty but anyone who says dls is the only one who could compete with md is probably not even a dls fan or part of the school....anyone at that game would argue folsom is at same level as dls

Jfoy,
Jfoy,
Ty for kind words! And yes i am indeed passionate and would like to see folsom in open but if liberty beats dls then i understand if cif selects liberty...but folsom still could be an option and would have some validity...the big issue would be what if folsom did play dls and won by a greater margin than liberty does over dls or folsom crushes central and dls barely beats liberty...this is why we need regionals again...
Biggest thing is for folsom to just beat dls next year...and schedule a md or even a chandler or a bingham or centennial...they should just start scheduling a dls type team every year

Ty for kind words! And yes i am indeed passionate and would like to see folsom in open but if liberty beats dls then i understand if cif selects liberty...but folsom still could be an option and would have some validity...the big issue would be what if folsom did play dls and won by a greater margin than liberty does over dls or folsom crushes central and dls barely beats liberty...this is why we need regionals again...
Biggest thing is for folsom to just beat dls next year...and schedule a md or even a chandler or a bingham or centennial...they should just start scheduling a dls type team every year
Week 1 wins and playoff wins are two different things, IMO. Folsom should have continued to play DLS every year in the NorCal Open Final, instead of opting to win D1 Championships. Would have rendered all the woulda, coulda, shoulda and daisy chaining moot

Reactions: aztecpadre
I was at the Folsom/DLS game and saw a superior physical team in DLS. Joyfosoul or G61, please understand that Dolsom is at the next level behind DLS. As another poster said, your act gets tiring.

I was at the Folsom/DLS game and saw a superior physical team in DLS. Joyfosoul or G61, please understand that Dolsom is at the next level behind DLS. As another poster said, your act gets tiring.

This seems somewhat hypocritical for a guy with 18 total posts, the vast majority of which speak specifically to Folsom, DLS and some combination thereof?

Folsom hasn't earned the open bid; and, nothing they do against MT will change that. However, that doesn't mean they won't be selected for the Open bid.

I doubt Portela would bet his first born in the prediction...but maybe he has 8 kids! Not. LOL

Yes, Dela is most vulnerable early (Bellarmine) but there’ve been plenty of later nail biters:
SRV, Cal 2x (in week 10 no less), MV. Incidentally, in each of those very close contests, there were few, if any, 4-5* guys lining up against the machine save for Nottingham at MV.

It takes a non-spread O, 4-5 possessions each, 2 punts and at least +1 TO. Mostly, it takes a tough nosed team. If Sparty gets >6 possessions, it’s over.

From a statistician’s probability perspective, inevitable. And with that in mind, the train ‘a comin’ to wash those blues away...

Are you serious? Are you forgetting folsom only lost to dls 14-0 in concord with 5 turnovers with two turnovers in red zone and would have been up 7-0 if ref didnt blow it....if folsom had gone up i think different outcome to game...have you even seen either team play or did you even see the folsom de la salle game? Your arguement has no merit...are we forgetting until last weekend sjb was favored by a lot after crushing md, which is to say i think md would rightfully be favored but only dls and folsom could compete to some level...oh dont forget md and folsom have common opponent in st marys...whom md beat i think 56 - 0 or 56-7 n week 1 where folsom beat them 52 - 7 in the playoffs and sm had won 7 straight...i give props to liberty but anyone who says dls is the only one who could compete with md is probably not even a dls fan or part of the school....anyone at that game would argue folsom is at same level as dls
I love your passion. And it really show in all your excuses as to why Folsom lost. Yes the game was in concord. But for the almost 30 years I coached and 8 years I played football I have never step on an opponents field that was a different dimension then my home field. This isn’t baseball. So that’s just an excuse. The turnovers and other errors were because of who you were playing. Either physically or psychologically dls forced Folsom to turn the ball over. Then there’s the refs. Yes they blew some calls on both sides. But he still hadn’t scored yet even if they would have got the call write. Your assuming they would have scored. The best excuse is the week 0. Your best opportunity to beat dls. Funny thing is in all your excuses you fail to mention that dls had a sophomore qb making his first varsity start. I’m not a fan of either team. Maybe I’m still a little bitter about you calling me a dls fan. But that’s the way I see it.

That being said. Liberty would probably get the nod if they beat dls. But IMO Folsom would be the much better team. Even if Liberty somehow beats dls I still think Folsom would beat liberty by at least 2-3 tds.

First off, we all know it's not going to happen. But if it did, Liberty would be undefeated and would get the nod. And I am so tired of hearing how Folsom's starters have been pulled every game by early 3rd quarter. Against Del Oro, they all played the entire game, even when they were up 40-0....and they played both ways...both Ngatas, Bennett, Badger, every one of them.

Had nothing to do with the DO fans in that corner of the end zone I can assure you.

Reactions: advin
Folsom hasn't earned the open bid; and, nothing they do against MT will change that. However, that doesn't mean they won't be selected for the Open bid.

Folsom also has to win. The underlying tone here is that is a foregone conclusion. I don't think so at all. Don't discount Monterey Trail. They are a very good team.

Reactions: Sacchiefs and advin
a lot of woulda , coulda , shoulda.
Folsom lost period
DLS was better period
Liberty has a chance although big hill to climb still a chance that Folsom not gonna get this year. Is DLS better than liberty? i guess so have not lost in 290+ games to nor cal team so they have to be. is Folsom better than Liberty don't know that either. liberty QB better than Folsom hands down and a junior.
liberty WR group think can match Folsom. running games both good. if all works out possibly get a liberty vs Folsom game who knows.

so if liberty scores once against DLS guess they are better than Folsom.

BTW don't turn the ball over

Folsom also has to win. The underlying tone here is that is a foregone conclusion. I don't think so at all. Don't discount Monterey Trail. They are a very good team.

The person that started this thread was the one that made this a Folsom/Liberty debate. Maybe take that up with them? Also Monterey Trail is a very good local team. Folsom's a very good national team. Good luck with that.

Monterey Trail has as much of a chance at beating Folsom as Liberty does beating dls. Not going to happen.

Should Liberty pull off the massive upset, they are unquestionably going as the Open. I think the real debate is who plays in the 1AA game between Central, DLS & Folsom. I think it would be between Central & DLS, and Folsom would play SF for 1A.

I love your passion. And it really show in all your excuses as to why Folsom lost. Yes the game was in concord. But for the almost 30 years I coached and 8 years I played football I have never step on an opponents field that was a different dimension then my home field. This isn’t baseball. So that’s just an excuse. The turnovers and other errors were because of who you were playing. Either physically or psychologically dls forced Folsom to turn the ball over. Then there’s the refs. Yes they blew some calls on both sides. But he still hadn’t scored yet even if they would have got the call write. Your assuming they would have scored. The best excuse is the week 0. Your best opportunity to beat dls. Funny thing is in all your excuses you fail to mention that dls had a sophomore qb making his first varsity start. I’m not a fan of either team. Maybe I’m still a little bitter about you calling me a dls fan. But that’s the way I see it.

That being said. Liberty would probably get the nod if they beat dls. But IMO Folsom would be the much better team. Even if Liberty somehow beats dls I still think Folsom would beat liberty by at least 2-3 tds.
Thanks for posting all my thoughts regarding all the excuses I hear about the Folsom/ DLS game. Its beyond annoying that certain Homer's can't accept the fact that maybe, just maybe, the DLS defense might have had something to do with all the Folsom miscues. Just a thought.

With that said, with regards to this topic, If Liberty were to pull off the upset, I think that would have more to do with DLS only playing 1 game since late October vs. Liberty actually being the better school. I still dont think Liberty is going to win, but I'm sure the green machine has probably got some rust on it and is cold after sitting idle for so long with regards to game time experience and this would be a benifit to Liberty since they just had a game.

In the event of an upset, ultimately I think they would probably opt for Liberty since they would be undefeated and have the marquee win over DLS and wont give consideration to any factors that led to the upset just like they dont consider MOV either when deciding teams.

I think it would be an injustice to choose Liberty over Folsom and a very controversial decision just like the decision in 08 when they chose Grant over DLS for Open, but the CIF would cite the above listed reasons as to why Liberty was selected over Folsom.

IMO, Folsom had the overall tougher schedule and went through it with ease. Their is no doubt in my mind that Folsom is the better school when compared to Liberty.

Reactions: Humbab
I think Folsom is a better team. But I think Liberty would be chosen with the criteria used for selecting teams.

My thoughts exactly. Monterey trail has a really good team this year and i wouldnt sleep on them. There offense is designed to eat up the clock and put pressure on the front 7. Too much focus on the run and a wr, te, or a rb will be running past you wide open. They have a set of race horses on there team that can easily go the distance on any given play. They have a monumental task in stopping folsom offense who, well we all know! Their stats and talent speak for themselves. For the sake of this post ill give MT some much needed and deserving love. Maybe another folsom blowout but i wouldnt be shocked if MT were to win or make it a lot closer than most think. Hell what would happen if folsom and dls lost? Who plays who? Please i dont wanna hear the same oh it wont happen because post. Thats boring fellas. We all know how everyone truley feels. Lets have some fun, what if?

Reactions: Knock Heads
I think Folsom is a better team. But I think Liberty would be chosen with the criteria used for selecting teams.

This is like the argument that Pitt might get the #3 seed over CVC or Liberty. If Liberty should somehow manage to beat DLS, there is no way they would not get the Open nod. Folsom might be the better team, but they lost their most important game of the year.

Not only has no team from NorCal beaten DLS since the Stone Age, Liberty would be undefeated. And Folsom’s only loss would be to the team that Liberty just beat. Liberty still needs to complete that Herculean task first, but if they overcome monumental odds and manage to beat the Green Machine, whether by 30 or a missed Xtra point in OT, there is no doubt they’d be playing MD.

This is like the argument that Pitt might get the #3 seed over CVC or Liberty. If Liberty should somehow manage to beat DLS, there is no way they would not get the Open nod. Folsom might be the better team, but they lost their most important game of the year.

Not only has no team from NorCal beaten DLS since the Stone Age, Liberty would be undefeated. And Folsom’s only loss would be to the team that Liberty just beat. Liberty still needs to complete that Herculean task first, but if they overcome monumental odds and manage to beat the Green Machine, whether by 30 or a missed Xtra point in OT, there is no doubt they’d be playing MD.

I agree. It’s pretty set and laid out in the CIF criteria. It’s just amusing some of the dumb arguments used otherwise. As you pointed out, if Liberty wins (don’t believe there’s really a chance in hell...) they get it. Both teams were given the same opportunity, beat DLS and that punches your golden ticket.

Could this happen....
Liberty open
DLS 1AA
Folsom 1A
Since NCS will have coin flips. They need teams to fill out

Don't see how it would be an injustice for Liberty to go to Open, plus who says Folsom had a tougher schedule. Remember, Folsom played only ONE really good team this year in DLS, plus most agree the SJS is down this year.

[QUOTE="observer22, post: 218624, member: 558".........................Folsom might be the better team, but they lost their most important game of the year.........[/QUOTE]

Kind of reminds me of Ohio State and Michigan. Win ALL your games ALL season but lose to your biggest rival regardless of ranking and point spreads and you lose more than just 1 game...... maybe even your job.

Thank god that HS football is not like college ball (not yet..... wink-wink)

My thoughts exactly. Monterey trail has a really good team this year and i wouldnt sleep on them. There offense is designed to eat up the clock and put pressure on the front 7. Too much focus on the run and a wr, te, or a rb will be running past you wide open. They have a set of race horses on there team that can easily go the distance on any given play. They have a monumental task in stopping folsom offense who, well we all know! Their stats and talent speak for themselves. For the sake of this post ill give MT some much needed and deserving love. Maybe another folsom blowout but i wouldnt be shocked if MT were to win or make it a lot closer than most think. Hell what would happen if folsom and dls lost? Who plays who? Please i dont wanna hear the same oh it wont happen because post. Thats boring fellas. We all know how everyone truley feels. Lets have some fun, what if?

Many of the same qualities as DLS. If the Folsom OL can't pass pro, Folsom should run the football with their QB and RBs and WRs. Ground Folsom.

Don't see how it would be an injustice for Liberty to go to Open, plus who says Folsom had a tougher schedule. Remember, Folsom played only ONE really good team this year in DLS, plus most agree the SJS is down this year.
I will concede that my tougher schedule comment could be SJS homerism coming out in me, but I dont think either one of us can make a strong argument supporting either schedule as hands down tougher. What cant be argued is that other then the DLS game, Folsom has not been pushed at all this year where Liberty has been in a couple ball games this year. Overall Folsom to me appears to be the stronger team between the 2. Also, like I said in previous post, should Liberty pull off the upset, I believe they are the obvious choice for open despite the fact that I believe the upset would have more to do with a rusty DLS being off vs. Liberty being the better team, so yes given that scenario I believe the better team would not be going to the open. Just my opinion being as neutral as possible. Hopefully DLS is on their game and than this becomes a pointless thread and we might actually get to see a Folsom / Liberty matchup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT