ADVERTISEMENT

SJND 47 SIERRA CANYON 49 .....great game!

northbaybbguru

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
Nice effort bt SJND. They had a couple of opportunities late to tie and/or take the lead in the last couple of minutes. They were down 11 in the early 4th and it looked like SC was gonna grind them out for a 15-20 pt win but to SJND credit they dug in and made a big time run. SJND guards are excellent. After watching the 1st round games I wasnt sure what to make of SJND but after watching this game it renewed my faith that they are the best team in the NCS.
I have to give it up to Mitty also. They are (alot) better than what I thought they were going to be at the beginning of the year. Mitty/ SJND game on Monday will be for the top dog status in norcal.
***also an (unfortunate?) Interesting note is that AM and SJND have a scheduled game for next week so now they will play each other back to back games.

Just want to remind people that Clovis North beat SMS at the Nike TOC and then just got boat raced by 50 to Mitty in the 1st round of the WCJ. So I cant put SMS in the conversation as Norcal top team at the moment. That was a jaw dropping win by Mitty over Clovis North.

Just want to remind people that Clovis North beat SMS at the Nike TOC and then just got boat raced by 50 to Mitty in the 1st round of the WCJ. So I cant put SMS in the conversation as Norcal top team at the moment. That was a jaw dropping win by Mitty over Clovis North.
SMS is not top team n NorCal. Too young, 5 freshmen and 5 sophomores. They should b good in the future. Their 8th, 9th, and 10 th grade classes are really really good. Against clovis north they played every one and had a comfortable lead and subbed too much but they play them again next week. Amaya Oliver has been really good , most outstanding player n Hawaii and all-tourney n Arizona.

SMS is not top team n NorCal. Too young, 5 freshmen and 5 sophomores. They should b good in the future. Their 8th, 9th, and 10 th grade classes are really really good. Against clovis north they played every one and had a comfortable lead and subbed too much but they play them again next week. Amaya Oliver has been really good , most outstanding player n Hawaii and all-tourney n Arizona.

8th grade class?
How do you know that?
Isn't that undue influence or do they not enforce that in the SJS?

Sierra Canyon is a tough team. Ranked In the top 10 nationally and took La Jolla Country Day down to the wire at TOC. For SJND to compete at this level says a lot about St. Joe's!

Even though SC won the game I was not impressed with them to say the least. What I was impressed with is how much fight SJND had and how they played! They were not playing like Miramonte clones, 2-2-1 pressing, sitting back in a zone. They played darn good man to man and played tough. In the end, SC was just a little too athletic for SJND but very good effort on the Pilots part. Great game!

Note that Ashley Chevalier (25) hurt her knee in the first game and was not at 100%. In fact, having seen her before, I'd say she's closer to 75%.

And on the one hand, you can say Mitty thumped SJND and Sierra Canyon didn't, but at the TOC, Mitty lost to Riverdale Baptist, a team Sierra Canyon beat.

All that said, it looks like there are a bunch of very good SoCal teams (Long Beach Poly just beat La Jolla Country Day) that look to be at the same level as Mitty. And there are several quality NorCal teams that are very good, but don't appear to be as consistent or as deep as Mitty.

Note that Ashley Chevalier (25) hurt her knee in the first game and was not at 100%. In fact, having seen her before, I'd say she's closer to 75%.

And on the one hand, you can say Mitty thumped SJND and Sierra Canyon didn't, but at the TOC, Mitty lost to Riverdale Baptist, a team Sierra Canyon beat.

All that said, it looks like there are a bunch of very good SoCal teams (Long Beach Poly just beat La Jolla Country Day) that look to be at the same level as Mitty. And there are several quality NorCal teams that are very good, but don't appear to be as consistent or as deep as Mitty.

The game is all about match up and I don't think SJND matched up with Mitty as well as SC. I had earlier said that i wasn't impressed by SC and after watching them play against MD, they're pretty good. What separated the north from the south, SC, MD have some great guards that handled pressure pretty well. That being said, the best player on MD was not Brooke, but the little guard who was hitting shots from all over the place and directing the game like a champ. the freshman guard is very good too! was a great championship game. It would have been interesting to see Salesian and MM play because I think the would have done better than Clovis and Spanish Springs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT