ADVERTISEMENT

SJS D1 Bracket

vistaball25 aka. TheFolsomBulldog ... Come on, admit it. You lost a bet as TheFolsomBulldog and soon after re-introduced yourself on this board on Nov 15, 2016, as vistaball25.
LOL @ that response!

C'mon Bulldog- Let's just not have a repeat of the aftermath of that loss to us last year. You know, as you and some other parents were exiting the stadium. You know what I'm talking about. Care to elaborate or should I?

In the end it's not that serious. It's high school football. Don't be weird.

Reactions: vistaball25
LOL @ that response!

C'mon Bulldog- Let's just not have a repeat of the aftermath of that loss to us last year. You know, as you and some other parents were exiting the stadium. You know what I'm talking about. Care to elaborate or should I?

In the end it's not that serious. It's high school football. Don't be weird.
Good one G61! Your reneging of your bet with von60118 just shows how much of a psycho you are. Gotta love these split personalities you are handling! Why bring up last year? Let's talk this year ... how the heck did your team lose to Sacramento? This guy bulldogmgc raised the question ... still no answer. Hmm?

Reactions: bulldogmgc
Good one G61! Your reneging of your bet with von60118 just shows how much of a psycho you are. Gotta love these split personalities you are handling! Why bring up last year? Let's talk this year ... how the heck did your team lose to Sacramento? This guy bulldogmgc raised the question ... still no answer. Hmm?
Bulldog- Nice name. I guess I hit a nerve. Still care to elaborate on the scene after the game when you lost last year? I want to give you a chance to address your behavior before I lay it out in detail. And let me tell you it was bad. Really bad. I'm talking psycho bad. The language was as such that I had to try to cover all three of my kids ears! It's been a year and he still hasn't addressed it other than the epic tirade he came on the forum with blaming the refs. Let me tell you, you should have seen this guy in person after the game. Oh my

Guys- this is high school football we talkin about. I get that both of you are passionate but cmon man let them play

My point is without Dotson, they wouldn't have been in that game. He was the difference.

And you're missing my point. I don't care how good Dotson is (and I do think he was the best player on the field), he's not making any difference w/o good o-line play. Antelope's line played well. They were a huge part of that difference and you're not giving them any credit. It was far from all Dotson.

Also, which Folsom team will show up vs Elk Grove? The one that lost to Sacramento and had a close win vs Oak Ridge? Or the Folsom team that blew out Del Oro 42-7? Curious.

I think the same Folsom team showed up for the OR game as the DO game. The difference is that DO just doesn't match up well with Folsom at all and continues to employ a defensive scheme that isn't working in the slightest.

Ironically WWHS44 states that game time coaching won't be an issue with Casey Taylor and Del Oro yet that's arguably been one of the issues in the DO/Folsom match ups the past couple years. Poor defensive scheme w/ little to no adjustments. I've been on record numerous times over the years championing CT and his staff as one of the best around. But they're not above making mistakes either. Nobody is.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodneyPete45
I've been saying this for over a decade now and no one believed me.

That's because you and future are flat wrong. I'm not going to get into it again only to say that a majority of coaches out there that have been doing this for a long time don't see things the same way. They have a ton of respect for Coach AL. And there's good reason for that.

Nobody is infallible and everybody makes mistakes. But, not so oddly, the arm chairs out there that think they have the answers and could do it better simply aren't doing so. I wonder why that is?

Not sure if the level of play can be determined by this team A playing team B playing team C scenario. But, still something to ponder.

Yeah, daisy chaining never works. It's all about match ups. Some teams just match up better against certain teams due to style of play or collective strengths and weaknesses.

Reactions: RodneyPete45
I can't believe I am going to defend Grant...... but there are a lot of GREAT coaches in our section that wouldn't last one day over at Grant. How quick we forget JJ Clavo, one thing most of you guys don't know that he died in Coach Al's arms, most people didn't realize that those players only felt safe by driving back to school and back to coach Al.
How many coaches have to worry about their kids driving across the damn street to go get food after school. How many coaches have to worry about how their players are going eat, let alone where they are sleeping that night.

I can tell you first hand the craziness our staff has seen at Natomas and now Inderkum and I promise you that is nowhere near what Grant deals with on a day to day basis.
I bet (like my father) that a lot of coach Al's paycheck goes to those kids, buying them groceries every month, buying school clothes, letting them sleep at your home, allowing players to bring all of their younger siblings to practice because the parents are nowhere to be found.

I can go on and on with different examples, great coaches might not be the best X and O but can your great X and O coach at Grant?

I can't believe I am going to defend Grant...... but there are a lot of GREAT coaches in our section that wouldn't last one day over at Grant. How quick we forget JJ Clavo, one thing most of you guys don't know that he died in Coach Al's arms, most people didn't realize that those players only felt safe by driving back to school and back to coach Al.
How many coaches have to worry about their kids driving across the damn street to go get food after school. How many coaches have to worry about how their players are going eat, let alone where they are sleeping that night.

I can tell you first hand the craziness our staff has seen at Natomas and now Inderkum and I promise you that is nowhere near what Grant deals with on a day to day basis.
I bet (like my father) that a lot of coach Al's paycheck goes to those kids, buying them groceries every month, buying school clothes, letting them sleep at your home, allowing players to bring all of their younger siblings to practice because the parents are nowhere to be found.

I can go on and on with different examples, great coaches might not be the best X and O but can your great X and O coach at Grant?

This is all part of what I what I didn't want to get into again. But you are spot on. Like I said, most coaches that know what goes on over there get it -- case in point. There's far more than X's and O's. Not every great X's and O's coach could be successful and get things done over there. Keeping kids eligible and out of trouble. Reaching the kids and their parents. Dealing with the things you touched upon. Mike has done a phenomenal job even though he's far from perfect.

Oddly, I've had to defend Terry on this very board because Indy has lost a few section title games. There are knuckleheads foolish enough to call his coaching into question despite his stellar track record everywhere he's been. It comes with the territory. If you don't win a title every year, the vultures swarm. Both of those coaches are great and have done wonderful things for those kids and their communities.

Last edited:
And you're missing my point. I don't care how good Dotson is (and I do think he was the best player on the field), he's not making any difference w/o good o-line play. Antelope's line played well. They were a huge part of that difference and you're not giving them any credit. It was far from all Dotson.

I hear your point and it is valid. IMHO Dotson did things to make them look better. The old saying "am average back and a great line does not apply here".....I felt grants D/line, over weight and out of shape as you stated did a fair job with the Titans OL.
Dotson did the rest...

I think the same Folsom team showed up for the OR game as the DO game. The difference is that DO just doesn't match up well with Folsom at all and continues to employ a defensive scheme that isn't working in the slightest.

Ironically WWHS44 states that game time coaching won't be an issue with Casey Taylor and Del Oro yet that's arguably been one of the issues in the DO/Folsom match ups the past couple years. Poor defensive scheme w/ little to no adjustments. I've been on record numerous times over the years championing CT and his staff as one of the best around. But they're not above making mistakes either. Nobody is.

Of course all coaches make mistakes and noone is beyond having a bad game. My memory travels back to the game between Folsom/DelOro and the Golden Eagles down 30 or so at the half.......One of the greatest comebacks in section history........I believe he will adjust and this will play out.....

Reactions: ThunderRam

Spot on Mistark, my comments tend with the game only and not off the field challenges......there certainly is more to coaching than X and O's......I guess simple clock management seemed lost and cost them the game....IMO......

I was a Coach Williams fan many years ago in BB. I haven't seen another coach have an impact on the BB program the way he did after he left.......

Of course all coaches make mistakes and noone is beyond having a bad game. My memory travels back to the game between Folsom/DelOro and the Golden Eagles down 30 or so at the half.......One of the greatest comebacks in section history........I believe he will adjust and this will play out.....

Any time that game gets brought up it brings back great memories. Those 2 games on FRI and SAT night were among the best I've ever seen -- endings and all. All 4 of those teams were so uber talented. We didn't know how spoiled we were at the time.

smashmouth and I were talking about the DO/Folsom game a few weeks ago. Bryce Pratt's fumble at the goal line because he tried to run the defender over instead of just scoring, fans leaving at half then trying to get back in, etc. Even after the valiant comeback and 2pt conversion to take the lead by DO, Folsom was still poised for the win when we became witness to a crazy ending. I can still see that ball hang in the air for what seemed like an eternity while not knowing which side of the crossbar it was going to fall on. And to think, we still had Rocklin-Grant Union to look forward to the very next evening...

Reactions: smashmouthrick
That's because you and future are flat wrong. I'm not going to get into it again only to say that a majority of coaches out there that have been doing this for a long time don't see things the same way. They have a ton of respect for Coach AL. And there's good reason for that.

Nobody is infallible and everybody makes mistakes. But, not so oddly, the arm chairs out there that think they have the answers and could do it better simply aren't doing so. I wonder why that is?
Look TR, I have nothing personally against Al and I think he's done a fantastic job at Grant both on and off the field. You're right it is more than X's and O's but it would be something special to see Grant become a scoring machine like Folsom. It comes a time when you have to adjust your game to stay at the top or better yet to stay relevant. Saying I'm wrong to criticize Al for losing to teams he should have beaten doesn't make you right. It only makes the point that we see things differently in regards to Grants play. This doesn't mean I think Al's a terrible coach. It means I think he should look into upgrading his offense. You cannot tell me he's getting the best offensive production possible from the talent he inherits at Grant year in and year out.

Does Al take care of his players and his extended family in the community better than most coaches. Of course he does. Does that give him the right to ignore his game losing deficiencies on offense? I don't think so. At this point, I think his job is to input a juggernaut offensive system to help his talented players become more successful. Are you too proud or big to sit down with a coach like Richardson to figure out how they score in bunches? I think not.

That being said, Grant has three exceptional ex football players in the league at the present. I'm sure Al is getting funding for his kids from these Grant Alums. If not, those players should be ashamed of themselves for not giving back to their brothers in need. Once again, I'm sure Al has done a lot for his kids including monetary and father like duties but he's had a source for major help as well.

CT4L

Change of weather forecast for Friday night in Stockton. Instead of 80% precipitation, we are now looking at 10% precipitation with the rain now forecasted to hit Stockton on Saturday. However, the forecast to rain a downpour of TD's by the St. Mary's Rams and light up the scoreboard is still on point. Seriously, it should be a very good, competitive game. GO SM RAMS!!!

vistaball25 aka. TheFolsomBulldog ... Come on, admit it. You lost a bet as TheFolsomBulldog and soon after re-introduced yourself on this board on Nov 15, 2016, as vistaball25.

Then says i had 2 cover my 3 kids ears! Well the only person i know who brings all 3 of his kids to events is someone who we havent heard much from . So you can add Larry Legend as another alter ego he uses

Only one Larry Legend on this board and I've been providing valuable post for years. No idea about the above stuff so I will stick to the topic.

I will be watching OR tonight with the family on the OR side. I stand by St Mary's though like I have all year. They are the best team I've seen in person in Norcal. (Haven't seen DLS). ST Mary's can run, throw, and they play great D. Not too many balanced teams like this. I think OR will play tough for 2-3 qtrs and then St Mary's pulls away late. This should be one of the best games of the year.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
OAK RIDGE FOOTBALL -
"Before you win, you have to believe you are worthy." Mike Ditka

We have been tabbed underdogs all year long. Hell, in preseason, we were ranked to finish 5th in SFL! We just don't buy into that crap.

Most Friday nights, we are not the biggest team nor the fastest, however we leverage physicality and execution over size and speed.

With our schedule, we have essentially been in the playoffs since October...we are battle tested and on point coming into Stockton tonight. Bring your A-game St.Mary's as you are about to run into a buzz saw @ 7pm.....Oak Ridge wins by a score tonight!

Good luck to all players.

OR has been a real gem this year MCIC. Can't take that away. I've been to 4 or 5 games and each time the QB impresses more and more along with your secondary. I think you had one bad game and that was Reed from Sparks, NV. For what its worth they seem to have OR's number.

This will be a very good game. The schedule is in your favor during the back half of the year. St Mary's had a great preseason schedule with nationally ranked SJB and 2 legit top 10 norcal team in Cardinal Newman & Serra. Can't wait.....

IMHO, I anticipate EG beating Folsom. However, I personally prefer a Folsom victory to go along with a St. Mary's victory. I would love the opportunity for my Rams to seek vengeance for last year's loss to Folsom. But, I can understand EG would also like to have vengeance vs Folsom for their loss last year in the section championship game, plus an opportunity to seek vengeance against St. Mary's for the semi-final loss 2 years ago in D2. I'm sure Oak Ridge fans also want redemption for their very close loss to Folsom just a few weeks ago. This year's final four is a very good one. Whichever team wins it all, I am confident will have much satisfaction. Good luck to all four teams, but an extra bit more for St. Mary's, of course. GO SM RAMS!!!

I am thinking that St. Mary's is going to throttle Oak Ridge. I see them winning by 2-3 scores.

I think Elk Grove and Folsom are about even. Speed does kill. And even though I would expect Folsom to be much smaller in physical stature, I think it will lead to too many scoring plays for Elk Grove to handle. Elk Grove's best defense is going to involve a very patient time consuming offense that has success more drives than not. Perhaps if they can control the time of possession, they can win.

Bulldog- Nice name. I guess I hit a nerve. Still care to elaborate on the scene after the game when you lost last year? I want to give you a chance to address your behavior before I lay it out in detail. And let me tell you it was bad. Really bad. I'm talking psycho bad. The language was as such that I had to try to cover all three of my kids ears! It's been a year and he still hasn't addressed it other than the epic tirade he came on the forum with blaming the refs. Let me tell you, you should have seen this guy in person after the game. Oh my

No doubt. The St. Mary's crowd was totally classless. They redefined poor losers. But, hey, when things don't go your way, its always someone else's fault, right? That's what those parents taught their kids that night.

In games OR has lost this year (vs Reed and Folsom) and in the close victory vs DO, OR was not able to muster up more than 122 yards rushing per game. Yet, OR averages over 239 yards on the ground per game.

vs Reed ... 72 yards rushing, 277 yards passing
vs Del Oro ... 94 yards, 323 yards passing
vs Folsom ... 122 yards, 129 yards passing

In these three games, OR's defense gave up ...

vs Reed ... 357 yards rushing, 225 yards passing
vs Del Oro ... 248 yards, 188 yards passing
vs Folsom ... 129 yards, 202 yards passing

The offense for St. Mary's in noted games ...

vs Serra ... 314 yards rushing, 231 yards passing
vs CN ... 291 yards rushing, 282 yards passing
vs SJB ... 82 yards rushing, 161 yards passing (note: NO Dusty Frampton)

In other games where the opponent has focused on stopping St. Mary's ground game, St. Mary's torched them in the air ...

vs Central Catholic ... 69 yards rushing, 386 yards passing
vs Pitman ... 99 yards rushing, 316 yards passing

For OR to have a chance at defeating St. Mary's, the OR defense will need to shut down St. Mary's ground game but also shut down St. Mary's aerial attack. Oak Ridge was most effective vs Folsom. But, likewise, Folsom's defense was effective vs Oak Ridge.

No doubt, outside of facing SJB, Oak Ridge will be St. Mary's toughest test for both it's offense and it's defense. Likewise, I anticipate this will be Oak Ridge's toughest test, tougher than Folsom and tougher than Reed. But, I believe it is fair to count the Reed game as an early season learning experience, as I am certain today's Oak Ridge team would do much better vs Reed.

Last year, Oak Ridge lost to Elk Grove in the playoffs 18-30, while giving up 308 yards rushing, specifically 222 yards on 41 carries by former senior EG's Ryan Robards. Can Oak Ridge's defense stop Dusty Frampton? And if it can, will doing so expose holes in the secondary for Jake Dunniway to exploit? If Oak Ridge can manage to stop or slow down St. Mary's ground game, specifically Dusty Frampton without depleting it's secondary to keep the Ram aerial attack under control, as well, the Trojans from Oak Ridge definitely have a chance in this game.

Agree, the schedule, especially of late, definitely favors Oak Ridge. For St. Mary's not to be challenged for the last 7 games straight, will definitely mean St. Mary's is finally running into a "buzzsaw" and will have to play without making mistakes that they were able to get over in their easy victories (the last 7 games). Mistakes made vs SJB proved to be too costly, and hopefully the Rams learned from that experience and have not forgotten. But, I believe the experience the St. Mary's defense had vs Serra and CN in facing dynamic QB's who can run and throw the ball, will favor St. Mary's. St. Mary's offense may be similar to Folsom's. But, no disrespect to Folsom, as they have had a great program over the last several years. But, this year's St. Mary's offense, IMHO, is much better than Folsom's, at least from a consistency standpoint. St. Mary's offense only inconsistent moment this year came vs SJB. And everyone can agree that Sacramento is not the same level team as SJB.

I may still be haunted by the 2009 St. Mary's playoff game vs Del Oro, where the St. Mary's offense, as dynamic as they were, had to turn to some trick plays to stay in the game in which they had the early momentum, but lost it when their defense started succumbing to Del Oro's offense. But, I feel this year's St. Mary's offense is better than 2009. This year's QB, Jake Dunniway, may not have a stronger arm than 2009's Marcus McDade, but he is more accurate and is able to handle the pressure better (the later being most important). Stats-wise including QB efficiency, Dunniway exceeds McDade's #'s by quite a bit (2884 yards, 36 TD's, and QB rating of 140.6 versus 2435 yards, 31 TD's, and QB rating of 128, respectively). The group of 2016 group of WR's in Cotton, Hampton, Aponte, may be a bit lighter in force than 2009's group of Harper, Lechich, Michaels, and Cox. But, 2016 RB Dusty Frampton vs 2009 RB Maurice Howze, along with the 2016 Ram's defense is a bit better. One reason I feel Dunniway is better than McDade is because Jake has had 2 years under center experience, and many SFL fans witnessed Dunniway's capabilities vs Folsom last year in the SJS D1 semi-finals was coming to form. It should also be noted that although RB Dusty Frampton only has 1442 yards and 29 TD's, it is because he rarely, if ever, plays a full game. Out of the total run offense (2567 yards on 333 carries and 50 rushing TD's), Frampton only has 143 carries (equates to 10.1 ypc). He sits out much of the 2nd half. Otherwise, he is in there for blocking while Dunniway does his thing. Maybe these 2016 stats are bit inflated due to the lack of competition in league play. Everyone witnessed what a beast Dusty Frampton when St. Mary's coaches decide to use him in the game, like he did vs Serra and vs Cardinal Newman. Even in those 2 games, he only had 1/2 the carries on the ground. Nervous? Nah. Anxious? Yes, indeed. Just can't wait.

I, too, hope Oak Ridge brings their "A" game. I am a fan of St. Mary's. But, more important I am a fan of great high school football. I sure hope this game delivers. May the better team win.

No doubt. The St. Mary's crowd was totally classless. They redefined poor losers. But, hey, when things don't go your way, its always someone else's fault, right? That's what those parents taught their kids that night.
In regards to last year's St. Mary's fan base eruption at the Folsom game, I was there. Yes, there were some pretty upset Ram fans. I will admit that I was not happy, myself. But, rather than trying to raise hell (like the other St. Mary's fans were doing), I was one of the few who were trying to ask them to cool down. Believe it or not. Unlike some of the SM fans in the stands who had kids on the team and witnessed their team get screwed by the refs, not just in 2015, but also in 2014 vs Grant when Cotton was in for the TD hitting the cone, my sons graduated back in 2007 and 2009 (my youngest was a senior on the 2008 state runner-up team). I did not have much at stake in the 2015 Folsom game, neither in the 2014 Grant game. But, I will admit after the 2008 game vs Cathedral Catholic, I along with the many other St. Mary's fans, and some Grant fans, too, witnessed what home field bias is, and could not help but let our voices be heard in the stands. Hence, it was much satisfaction when Grant beat LBP in the 2008 state Open game. You know it was a badly called game when the SM coaches were leading the charge against the refs (both in 2008 and 2015). And it was interesting, in my opinion, to witness the refs leave the stadium as fast as they could, not because of fear, but because of guilt. I simply chalked it up as home field advantage, but I was not going to stay quiet. Heck, Los Gatos was no different when they lost to St. Mary's in 2014. Just an example of "perceived" home field bias. At the Los Gatos game, the refs stuck around to listen to the Los Gatos coaches. Heck, I am certain they were happy when Los Gatos beat St. Mary's last year at home.

It's not a matter of things going your way or not (like this year's election for many liberals, LOL). It was about standing up against something that was blatantly "wrong". That was a tightly contested game and the missed pass interference call at the end was huge. Maybe the state game loss to Cathedral Catholic on a couple late missed pass interference calls had something to do with it, too, for the coaches? The Rams got the short end of it and have since moved on. Bringing up past wrong doings isn't going to change the outcome/results. Nor does it reflect good sportsmanship, either. Now does it? Everyone knows G61 (aka. TheFolsomBulldog, aka. Vistaball25) real name is "Richard Head". Heck, why does he keep hiding under different names? Hint: psycho.

Let's hope the Oak Ridge fan base keeps their cool after the St. Mary's Rams beat them tonight. Would hate to call you a hyocrite, like we are witnessing with liberal America. What a great Thanksgiving we had yesterday knowing Clinton will not be our president! GO RAMS!

Then says i had 2 cover my 3 kids ears! Well the only person i know who brings all 3 of his kids to events is someone who we havent heard much from . So you can add Larry Legend as another alter ego he uses

I've met LL and his boys. Very cool guy. While I don't pretend to know him extremely well and we sometimes disagree on things, I feel very confident he doesn't have any alter egos on this board. LL has no problems speaking his mind or standing behind whatever he believes thus no reason to hide behind another screen name.

Just my .02 on that.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
The every little Johnny gets a trophy mentality. Especially when you paid for school there. It was the worst case of bad sportsmanship I'd ever seen by parents to include bulldogmgc. It was down right nasty. He still won't address it because it was that bad. All he said he St Mary's fans were pretty upset. He needs to explain what exactly they did and the things they said so everyone on here has an accurate read of what crazy people they were. It was truly unbelievable. It's just high school football. To think people have that much of an interest in the outcome is truly sad.

Go Oak Ridge tonight! I'm with ya!

Last edited:
Just watched footage of Reed's RB Tre Bussey, who put up 220 yards on 20 carries and 2 TD's, with a longest run of 61 yards vs Oak Ridge. St. Mary's has a running back just like Tre Bussey and an O-line that will give the freight train just the holes he needs. His name is Dusty Frampton. Oak Ridge Trojans, you will soon be introduced to Freight Train Frampton. Best pack your luggage, or should I say the box. He will be ready to give you the ride of your life. Like Tre, once he gets thru that d-line hole, he is gone. And once the box is packed, get ready for the Rams aerial show ... NorCal's best entertainment! Stay tuned! You don't want to miss the show.

Don't worry G61, I saved you a ticket along with a tissue in the nose bleeder section. Just tell the ticket lady at the gate the real bulldog sent you. Enjoy!

Reactions: 1tunz1
Just don't blame the refs again when you get another L at the hands of an SFL team. Stay safe out there in Stockton tonight!

Maybe this year they will be too tired to get their panties in a wad...given they probably have been spending so much time over the past month calling foul on the results of the presidential election. LOL....entitled parents raise entitled athletes.
100 percent agreed

Never saw anything like it after last year's game. You're right- entitled parents = entitled kids. Go Oak Ridge!

shhhhhh ... don't want to scare G61. He is already terrified to leave his concrete wall protected prison cell. He's already all excited thinking Obama is going to pardon his sentence and hand him one of those many Medals of Freedom, given to all of those celebrities. Unfortunately, this clown is too stupid to realize that the medal will not free him from his prison cell. Talk about "entitlement"! LOL!

BTW. I proudly voted for Trump. Time to Make America

Last edited:
I've met LL and his boys. Very cool guy. While I don't pretend to know him extremely well and we sometimes disagree on things, I feel very confident he doesn't have any alter egos on this board. LL has no problems speaking his mind or standing behind whatever he believes thus no reason to hide behind another screen name.

Just my .02 on that.
Well guess what i know who this guy is too and caught him being full of Sh.. and called him out so i wouldt put anything past this guy. One thing for sure

I called for rain... It comes tomorrow. I should get a pass because weather was perfect. Obviously didn't impact the game one bit.

I called for rain... It comes tomorrow. I should get a pass because weather was perfect. Obviously didn't impact the game one bit.
I dunno about a pass. No rain was stopping that beating. I got lots of respect for Elk Grove but that team shouldn't have even been on the same field. It was really bad.

I still can't tell if anyone calling for an EG win was serious or just trolling at this point. Because what I saw was staggering.

Curious ... how does Oak Ridge limit Folsom to score only 17 points but give up 28 to Cosumnes Oaks? Interestingly, some believe Oak Ridge will hold St. Mary's to under 30 points? St. Mary's was up 10-7 on SJB before the wheels fell off the bus and SJB's defense limited St. Mary's to a one-dimensional (pass only) team after RB Dusty Frampton went down. Is Oak Ridge's defense as good as SJB's? Or is it that folks believe St. Mary's offense is like Folsom's?

IMHO, I envision this game between St. Mary's vs Oak Ridge to be similar to St. Mary's vs Serra and/or St. Mary's vs Cardinal Newman, where Oak Ridge has a dynamic athlete in their QB, just like Serra and Cardinal Newman. I believe Oak Ridge will stay close with St. Mary's thru the 1st half or maybe just the 1st quarter. IMHO, if St. Mary's opens up a 2 TD lead, it will be very difficult for Oak Ridge to catch up, especially if the OR offense is more of a ground game offense. Watching film, I see OR likes to pass to their RB, as he sneaks into an open spot down field. Anticipate we will see this along with a few screen passes, too. St. Mary's philosophy has always been "catch me if you can". But, I have noticed St. Mary's has a better defense this year, as well. I am just not sure Oak Ridge can keep up with scoring at the pace of St. Mary's, but very much looking forward to seeing them try. IMHO, I am anticipating at least 2 picks by the SM secondary, as I have a feeling we will be seeing Oak Ridge throwing the ball more than expected, similar as they did vs Reed. On the other side, IMHO, I anticipate Oak Ridge will find out that St. Mary's offense is not quite like Folsom's and the Rams' offense is a bit better than Cosumnes Oaks, and even better than Reed's. RB Dusty Frampton is a handful. And if Oak Ridge packs the box, QB Jake Dunniway is very accurate and has just too many weapons. As other teams have expressed, the Rams offense is much quicker than expected and very difficult to simulate in practice. However, must credit Oak Ridge being part of the SFL league and playing Folsom close, despite the loss. Hence, the anxiety exists from both sides as to how this game materializes. Again, any given Friday!

Indeed, the game played out. Let's see ...

We found out that Oak Ridge's defense, which was able to hold Folsom to 17 points and Cosumnes Oaks to 28 points, was not able to hold St. Mary's to under 30 points ... Well, unless folks were thinking for only the 1st quarter. And yet, that was fairly close to going over with St. Mary's scoring 21 to end the quarter before scoring another TD as the 2nd quarter started. We also found out that Oak Ridge's defense is not as good as SJB's. I am guessing we also found out that St. Mary's offense is not quite like Folsom's, only scoring 61 points vs Folsom's 17 vs the same Oak Ridge defense, although Folsom, to their credit, took care of business vs Elk Grove to achieve the opportunity to speak it's case next week vs St. Mary's. Oak Ridge did score 14 points versus St. Mary's 1st string defense due to a couple of big plays late in the game. Oak Ridge's last TD was in garbage time vs the Rams 2nd string defense. Oak Ridge did score 16 points versus Folsom's defense. So maybe, just maybe, Folsom's and St. Mary's defense are pretty similar?

Let's continue to recap ...

I was wrong in thinking Oak Ridge's offense would stay close with St. Mary's thru the 1st half or even the 1st quarter. But, I was correct in predicting 2 picks by SM, only I was wrong in in thinking it would be the Rams' secondary as the 2nd INT was for a pick 6 by Ram's D-lineman, #63 Cole Norgaard, who is also listed as a TE for the Rams. As anticipated, Oak Ridge ended up throwing the ball more as the Rams stacked the box and dared them to throw. SM coaches did a great job and the SM players executed to perfection. All anxiety went out the window after St. Mary's scored their first TD. Exposed during the rest of the game, the Rams were simply playing at a different level. Many who were at the game, including the Oak Ridge coaches and players, along with those who watched the game on NFHS Network live stream, got to witness this for themselves first hand. As noted, Rams QB, #7 Jake Dunniway, is very accurate and has just too many weapons. Freight Train Frampton only had 16 carries for a game-high 92 yards, just under 6 ypc. But, he did not need to run too much except when the Rams decided to use him to score some TD's (4), as it was the Rams aerial show that lit up the skies, with just too much speed and too much accuracy by Mr. Dunniway. Heck, there were a couple throws that looked 15 yards beyond the WR's hands, yet each time the WR ran under it to make the catch. It was just simply "beautiful". Final score: St. Mary's 61 Oak Ridge 21.

Next up ... it's grudge match for St. Mary's vs Folsom next Saturday at Sac State. In all due respect, I anticipate the Folsom team that beat Elk Grove last night, and not the Folsom team that lost to Sacramento and barely beat Oak Ridge, will be showing up for this championship game. At least, they better show up. Or next week's game is going to be another blowout, just like it was vs SFL's #2 team, Oak Ridge. Maybe Folsom's team is similar to St. Mary's? But, in all honesty I just don't think so. But, we'll let G61 think his team is better, just for entertainment purposes. Calpreps still has Folsom favored by +1 point and ranked one ranking higher in state. I have a feeling Folsom will be needing to pull out some fancy plays, like Oak Ridge did last night toward the end of the game (ie. RB option pass downfield and the onside kick) to keep this game interesting. Got to respect the Folsom coaching! Now, let's see if their team can execute an A+ game to compete with St. Mary's. Again, I love my Rams, but I love a great game even more, especially when it is the two teams that decide the outcome and not the zebras. GO RAMS!!!

BTW, SJB narrowly beat Centennial and will have their rematch vs Mater Dei next week for their section championship. I anticipate it will be the winner of the DLS vs Freedom NCS Open game that will get the winner of SJB vs MD. The SJS D1 section champ will get the DLS vs Freedom loser, and that should be a good game, too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT