ADVERTISEMENT

SJS Playoff Brackets

Pretty simple, if you want a higher seed, play a tougher schedule. You dont want to reward teams to play a soft schedule to get a high seed, do you?

I mean come on, what reward???? Vacaville had one of the toughest nonleague schedules in the section and where's the reward????

I mean come on, what reward???? Vacaville had one of the toughest nonleague schedules in the section and where's the reward????
I hear you Dan. Tracy, which also finished 5-5 overall but 3-2 in TCAL league with non-league losses to CVC, Freedom, and Turlock, did not make the playoffs. But, their rival West, which Tracy beat, finished ahead of in league, and had a much stronger non-league schedule, is in the playoffs with an overall 6-4 record. I believe the SJS missed the boat in just looking at overall record, when it came down to deciding at-large bid teams. Tracy should be in before West, simply based on league record and head-to-head result. West is ranked below both Vacaville and Tracy. Go figure!

Mr. Pete,

Your own logic sometimes goes against your statements. You state that Napa would have a hard time beating just one of the SFL teams. You should note that Napa cannot control the league it is in. Maybe the league will be better with the next realignment. Perhaps that will change up its strength of schedule. Napa faced and defeated two 9-1 teams in Campolindo and Wood. Napa and Vacaville is always for the league championship, thus you can throw that game out the window on any given year. If you are looking at SOS, you also have to look at the ratings, as that is what they are based upon. Napa, based upon ratings would defeat Del Oro, Granite Bay, Woodcreek, and Nevada Union. Napa has a rating of 44.5.

It is hard to use comparables such as OR or Granite Bay vs. Vacaville, as they were at completely different times of the year. The Vacaville team had essentially four weeks to prepare for Napa, as they played Berkley, Rodriguez, and Armijo in the weeks prior.

I don't think you've seen Napa play. BTW, I too had OR as the #3 seed. I believe they purposedly put OR on the opposite side of the bracket from Folsom who is in their same league.
As they should of. I'd much rather see a Folsom vs. Elk Grove/OR final than anything else.

You have to actually win games. I certainly respect their effort to schedule tough out of league games, but they couldnt win any quality ones. Had they done that, they would have been rewarded. They just didnt have it this year.

Yep, had Vacaville won in preseason it wud be different story for Vacaville. I was wondering how West got in...thanks

Championship Picks

Division I: Folsom
Division II: Grant
Division III: Central Catholic
Division IV: Sierra
Division V: Capital Christian
Division VI: Hilmar
Streak, If CC wins out as you have predicted where will they fall for a play in game? I would assume after their strong year and run of three SBG titles they would be favored for the Open Division (school enrollment of 1250 and less) or does their DIII status preclude this?

I'm with you Dan,Vaca played a tough ooc schedule,plus they have always been one of the best programs in the SJS consistently over a long period of time.They should have gotten in.Strength of schedule matters,especially when its a 5-5 vs a6-4 record wise.

Streak, If CC wins out as you have predicted where will they fall for a play in game? I would assume after their strong year and run of three SBG titles they would be favored for the Open Division (school enrollment of 1250 and less) or does their DIII status preclude this?

They would still be eligible for the small school Open Division and would figure to be the top choice for one of the two regional spots.

They would still be eligible for the small school Open Division and would figure to be the top choice for one of the two regional spots.
Ok follow on question. If CC is one side of the regional for small school open who will be the other side? Palma or Marin Catholic might be a good candidates. Dark horse Mac?

2wcats,

I think that is a pretty good list of small school open contenders. Cardinal Newman is another option too

Dan,
As tough as Vacaville's non league was the fact remains that they only beat really crappy teams when it was all said and done. Enterprise was a D-3 who went 5-5 that was their best win. Berkeley was 4-6 and stunk! the other three league wins were the basement dwellers of the MEL Rod, Armijo, and Vintage only had 8 wins between them and 2 of Vintages were vs Rod and Armijo the worst in the MEL.
Yes, Vacaville played great against Pitt, and Napa as well but got flogged by Wood. Vacaville's inconsistency was their downfall in regards to overall record, and post season play. If they played the whole season like they played Pitt and Napa they would have been 7-3 and in the playoffs. It would have been great to see both Vacaville teams in post season with possibility of a rematch but Vacaville didn't keep up their end of the bargain. Bottom line is Strength of schedule is only good if you win some games. you can play the top teams in the nation but if you don't qualify for an automatic spot through your league you leave your fate in somebody else's hands after week 10. It's always best to control your own fate. I believe Vacaville's contract with Berkeley has expired so I would expect they pick up a better team so maybe they will find a happy medium between tough opponent and a beatable team, Enterprise may be due to be replaced next season as well as the rumor mill turns.
Vacaville looks to be an improved team for 2016 as many starters were JRs and they will only be losing between 7-10 starters total. The big question will be how they replace the SR linemen who comprise the majority of SR starters for 2015. Lets remember Vaca JV 2013 (2015 seniors) only won 5-6 games as I recall, 2014 Vaca JV went 8-2, and 2015 Vaca JV also went 8-2. Wood on the other hand will only be a skeleton of the 2015 team next year as the vast majority of their starters (many being 2 way starters) were seniors this season. Their JV teams from 2015 and 2014 didn't have a total of 7 wins I don't believe. Also another stat to note is neither class of 2017 or 2018 or 2019 have defeated Vacaville ever from Frosh through JV.
Dan as rough as this season has been for the dogs they should rise again starting 2016-17 season. Wood I'm afraid will be a one and done for quite a while, hopefully the new stadium will create a resurgence of talent to attend Wood and strengthen the MEL and The competition of the Black and Blue Bowl. Hopefully the looming rumors of a coaching change at Wood are just rumors, it's great to have two good teams in Vacaville.

Dan,
As tough as Vacaville's non league was the fact remains that they only beat really crappy teams when it was all said and done. Enterprise was a D-3 who went 5-5 that was their best win. Berkeley was 4-6 and stunk! the other three league wins were the basement dwellers of the MEL Rod, Armijo, and Vintage only had 8 wins between them and 2 of Vintages were vs Rod and Armijo the worst in the MEL.
Yes, Vacaville played great against Pitt, and Napa as well but got flogged by Wood. Vacaville's inconsistency was their downfall in regards to overall record, and post season play. If they played the whole season like they played Pitt and Napa they would have been 7-3 and in the playoffs. It would have been great to see both Vacaville teams in post season with possibility of a rematch but Vacaville didn't keep up their end of the bargain. Bottom line is Strength of schedule is only good if you win some games. you can play the top teams in the nation but if you don't qualify for an automatic spot through your league you leave your fate in somebody else's hands after week 10. It's always best to control your own fate. I believe Vacaville's contract with Berkeley has expired so I would expect they pick up a better team so maybe they will find a happy medium between tough opponent and a beatable team, Enterprise may be due to be replaced next season as well as the rumor mill turns.
Vacaville looks to be an improved team for 2016 as many starters were JRs and they will only be losing between 7-10 starters total. The big question will be how they replace the SR linemen who comprise the majority of SR starters for 2015. Lets remember Vaca JV 2013 (2015 seniors) only won 5-6 games as I recall, 2014 Vaca JV went 8-2, and 2015 Vaca JV also went 8-2. Wood on the other hand will only be a skeleton of the 2015 team next year as the vast majority of their starters (many being 2 way starters) were seniors this season. Their JV teams from 2015 and 2014 didn't have a total of 7 wins I don't believe. Also another stat to note is neither class of 2017 or 2018 or 2019 have defeated Vacaville ever from Frosh through JV.
Dan as rough as this season has been for the dogs they should rise again starting 2016-17 season. Wood I'm afraid will be a one and done for quite a while, hopefully the new stadium will create a resurgence of talent to attend Wood and strengthen the MEL and The competition of the Black and Blue Bowl. Hopefully the looming rumors of a coaching change at Wood are just rumors, it's great to have two good teams in Vacaville.
True.

Thanks Polemic. It wud be nice to see Vacaville get San Ramon Valley, Cal, Monte Vista, Rancho Cotate, Milpitas, St. Francis, Serra & Oak Grove...always liked the Out Of Section Preseason Games....the Deer Valley was a good one too any 411 whom will replace Berkeley & Enterprise?-tia

Thanks Polemic. It wud be nice to see Vacaville get San Ramon Valley, Cal, Monte Vista, Rancho Cotate, Milpitas, St. Francis, Serra & Oak Grove...always liked the Out Of Section Preseason Games....the Deer Valley was a good one too any 411 whom will replace Berkeley & Enterprise?-tia
My dart at a dart board guess would be Liberty, possibly Antioch, then somebody from the Sac area, Vista De Lago, Wood creek, maybe Sacramento. but thats just looking at schedules and guessing who might be considered. Heck maybe go the Del Oro route and schedule Folsom and De La Sal.. LOL I think they will try and schedule decent teams that are beatable though after missing playoffs this season. I don't think ANYBODY at Vacaville wants to risk a repeat of this year.

Its not like Enterprise is a horrible game. In the past Antelope, Del Campo, Oakdale, and Whitney all failed before Vaca beat them, and I think Whitney was the only one who didnt go on to playoffs. Last year was a close game and Enterprises only loss, this year they were both down and honestly Vacaville was lucky to win, I think its a solid game for both schools.

Its not like Enterprise is a horrible game. In the past Antelope, Del Campo, Oakdale, and Whitney all failed before Vaca beat them, and I think Whitney was the only one who didnt go on to playoffs. Last year was a close game and Enterprises only loss, this year they were both down and honestly Vacaville was lucky to win, I think its a solid game for both schools.
It is not a horrible game by any means. I think the traveling distance is the only real downside to the Enterprise game. I agree both teams were down this season but I'd say your comment " lucky to win" would be like saying Enterprise was lucky to be that close at all. Either way I believe the contract is fulfilled and I would expect one of the schools to pull out as it is a long drive for either team. I threw out Liberty and Antioch because I believe they will both have vacancies next season, as do the Sac teams I listed but again I could be wrong.

I got ya travel is definitely a big part of it but as I said I think its a great match up. But if I remember correctly Enterprise was up at least a couple scores in the 4th quarter and let Vaca back into it. Kind of a goofy year for Enterprise they really coulda been much better than they were it really was kind of odd.

Vacaville last year? They put on a beating on Enterprise. This year I agree that Vacaville was a little bit of lucky to comeback in the 4th qtr but I really thought the game was even.

I did not think it was quiet a beating myself, sure it got away from them in the second half but as any game there were some big plays, calls non calls and circumstances that all attributed to the outcome. Not trying to take away from that win but it was definitely a competitive game, I mean it was a 3 point game at half and thats my whole point. The two teams match up well.

I did not think it was quiet a beating myself, sure it got away from them in the second half but as any game there were some big plays, calls non calls and circumstances that all attributed to the outcome. Not trying to take away from that win but it was definitely a competitive game, I mean it was a 3 point game at half and thats my whole point. The two teams match up well.

So since it looks like yourself and Dan were both at that game, was it competitive in the first half and than vaca made some adjustments in 2nd half and took control or was the 2nd half still a competitive game. I'm only curious cause Dan has always been the first to admit when his team lays an egg, but it is soundly like the way he describes the game more like vaca might have been flat in 1st half and than got it together in 2nd. My only point is maybe the 2 teams were more competitive this year with vaca being down more than last year with a flat vaca in the first half.

Most years vaca is strong and would be an uphill battle for Enterprise to stay competitive with them and if the future of vaca is looking bright than for SOS reasons may want to find another school that is a higher caliber

2014 2nd half was definitely competitive, EHS just failed in a couple of big spots and Vacaville capitalized, what I would call a solid win. As for 2015, Enterprise failed to do what Vaca did the year before, EHS had the game in hand but just couldnt put it away. As I said I think its a good match up, just like Oakdale was, that wasnt Oakdales best year but it was a good match up, Strong programs match up well plain and simple.

Decided to go DIII Friday.....and boy was Central Catholic big, athletic and fast - wow! CB is a good team, but really had no chance last night. Had seen enough after the 3rd up 49-0 --- Placer had best be ready, and don't see any of the remaining three getting by them!

Not a bad thing to go by but going undefeated has to mean something. Doesn't make sense to me that an undefeated team gets trumped by a team with two 'L's". I wouldn't have much of a problem had OR beaten Reed and finished the season at 9-1 with their only lost coming to Folsom. Those ratings are nothing more than numbers on a piece of paper to me. Until they play each other in a game I have to side with the team with that went undefeated when seeding teams. Nothing wrong with making Oak Ridge the #4 seed. Is this something we can agree on?
undefeated can also be misleading as well, as NAPA was just shown....and I wouldn't call that st. marys win an upset...

Napa was done dirty. No way they should have been the #4 seed with a 10-0 record. How in the hell is Oak Ridge rated higher than them with a 8-2 record is just WROOOOONG!!!!
those seedings did not matter because NAPA didn't match up well against any oft he other sac teams anyway? st. marys skill players proved that on Friday! the section got the seeding right this year and NAPA wasn't getting past the 2nd rd of playoffs anyways.......

undefeated can also be misleading as well, as NAPA was just shown....and I wouldn't call that st. marys win an upset...
Tell us something we don't know Ms. New Booty... Never said an undefeated team isn't misleading. All I said is Napa should have been rewarded the seed below the #4 seed because they went undefeated. Nothing wrong with that because as you stated they were not moving past the 2nd round anyway.

Decided to go DIII Friday.....and boy was Central Catholic big, athletic and fast - wow! CB is a good team, but really had no chance last night. Had seen enough after the 3rd up 49-0 --- Placer had best be ready, and don't see any of the remaining three getting by them!
RR. I think Oakdale lost 42-37 at CC for VOL championship and the Oakdale team is still in it,and so it does appear like one of the remaining can get by them,I mean a td by Oakdale and .....well you know what I mean.Tall order indeed...difficult YES......impossible NO.......anything can happen just look at Grant,#1 seed Div 2 at home and Lost 24-21 to Granite Bay and they were up 21-3 after 3 qtrs.It is indeed a very tall order especially for Placer in comparison to either Inderkum or Oakdale vs CC.......but hey......IT COULD HAPPEN!!! Go Placer

RR. I think Oakdale lost 42-37 at CC for VOL championship and the Oakdale team is still in it,and so it does appear like one of the remaining can get by them,I mean a td by Oakdale and .....well you know what I mean.Tall order indeed...difficult YES......impossible NO.......anything can happen just look at Grant,#1 seed Div 2 at home and Lost 24-21 to Granite Bay and they were up 21-3 after 3 qtrs.It is indeed a very tall order especially for Placer in comparison to either Inderkum or Oakdale vs CC.......but hey......IT COULD HAPPEN!!! Go Placer[/QUOTE That Oakdale vs CC game was really dominated by CC as they had a big halftime lead then let foot off the gas pedal and allowed Oakdale make it close towards the end....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT