ADVERTISEMENT

SJS Top 10 early picks - Maxpreps

RidgeRider

Hall of Famer
Feb 27, 2017
Early season picks for top 10 based on computer rankings. Seems like OR is the most glaring missing team. According to Maxpreps this is not even necessarily in order either...although it sort of looks like it.

Folsom
Central Catholic
Inderkum
Del Oro
Monterey Trail
Tracy
Rio Linda
Capital Christian
Escalon
Turlock

There will be others in the top 10 by end of the season. Top twenty would leave few surprises but almost guaranteed there will be surprises with this list.

I would trust a Top 10 for the SJS from this board rather then Max Preps....

I know from reading this board for years and the posters here have a much better handle on the SJS teams....

I would remove Rio Linda and Tracy and replace with St. Mary’s and Oak Ridge....:)

Oak Ridge will be a top 20 NCP team this year so not having them in the SJS is mind boggling. But that is why they play the games. Lots of players back from 8-4 team and a much more dynamic/athletic QB to run the show.

Reactions: Kickingtee18
Looking forward to watching this list change as the games get underway! Just a little over two weeks now!

Oak Ridge will be a top 20 NCP team this year so not having them in the SJS is mind boggling. But that is why they play the games. Lots of players back from 8-4 team and a much more dynamic/athletic QB to run the show.

Are they switching QB's? Wasn't the starter last year a Junior?

Are they switching QB's? Wasn't the starter last year a Junior?

QB last year was a senior. (Jenner). Backup Justin Lamson was a soph who made first team all SFL at safety and was all state underclassmen. When he got minutes at QB it was obvious he was the better player even as a soph. Just wait until you see this kid.

Reactions: THEOC89
Oh yeah he’s going to be good! If he’s not a D1 QB he will be beast OLB or safety hybrid

QB last year was a senior. (Jenner). Backup Justin Lamson was a soph who made first team all SFL at safety and was all state underclassmen. When he got minutes at QB it was obvious he was the better player even as a soph. Just wait until you see this kid.

That's a lot of nice highlights for a sophomore in the SFL. That kid is an athlete.

Sorry my mistake. Maxpreps had Jenner listed as a Jr last year. Young QB looks real nice.

Oak Ridge has had a really good run the last 5-6 years. They, like almost everyone else in the section, haven’t been able to get past Folsom or they would have a few banners too

Reactions: THEOC89 and MCIC
You could list Inderkum, St. Mary's, Grant Union, Folsom, Del Oro, Oak Ridge, Central Catholic, Placer, Granite Bay, Elk Grove, Vacaville, Oakdale, Escalon, Jesuit, and Antelope prior to nearly every season and probably end up with at least 12 of them in the end of the season top 20 -- if not all 15.

Don't Sleep On Edison of Stockton. Lots of Returning Players including MR RALEEK BROWN and a Very Much improved OL/DL

Last edited:
Reactions: RidgeRider
Don't Sleep On Edison of Stockton. Lots of Returning Players including MR RALEEK BROWN and a Very Much improved OL/DL
Will give that to you, Coach Guyton gets the most from his guys. St. Mary's, Folsom, Oak Ridge, Central Catholic, Placer, Granite Bay, Oakdale and Vacaville have proven staffs. Elk Grove, Del Oro and Grant Union have great histories, coaching at top is a question mark. Escalon, Jesuit, and Antelope need to prove they can get it done.

No way Tracy takes league from St. Mary’s! No friggin way!

Last year SM beat Tracy 42-20 and SM JV beat Tracy 50-14. SM returns their QB(Noah May), RB (junior this year, Tyrei Washington), WR’s (Jamaal Marshall - CIF state hurdler champion and top 5 hurdler in the nation; and 6’3” Elijah Wood). The SM line for both offense and defense is averaging around 6’2” 280lbs. SM may even put in Chavez at QB for dual threat, like late last year. There is no way Tracy beats St. Mary’s nor any team in league. This year’s St. Mary’s is a much more mature version of last year’s team. The Rams will go deep into the SJS playoffs this year.

Look for St. Mary’s to avenge losses to Pittsburg and Central Catholic at home. Serra at home is going to be a good game, too. Noah May played well vs Serra 2 years ago at home as a sophomore before getting hurt. SM controlled the game in the first half last year vs Central Catholic @ Central Catholic before making a couple mistakes in the second half. Pittsburg from my understanding lost a lot of talent due to graduation. SM may surprise Mission Viejo and DLS, but doubt they pull off the upsets, especially vs DLS.

Tracy in top 10 instead of St. Mary’s is a joke! SMH!

Admittedly I don't follow Tracy, but they were 8-4 last year and got blasted in a couple of games. I know the QB is supposed to be pretty good and they have quite a few starters coming back according to their preview, but did they get some blue chip transfers? I get why they should be improved, but #6 in the section? Where is the hype coming from?

My question is who is the DII section champion favorite between CC and Inderkum, now that DO is DI? Anyone else have a shot besides those two schools?

Has Del Oro been officially moved to D1 under the continued success guidelines?

Anyone have any info on Pitman? Marin Catholic is playing them this year

Thanks for the info on Del Oro.

Central Catholic and Inderkum are the clear favorites. There are plenty of solid programs in D2 and someone will move down from D1 (Pitman and Monterey Trail were the smallest schools last year). I'm guessing it might take a few weeks into the pre-season to get a better idea of potential D2 challengers.

Inderkum could be D1 as well. We have grown as a school again this year.

If that is the case, DI and DII playoffs will likely be more interesting than usual although DI is Folsom by a large margin.

I would trust a Top 10 for the SJS from this board rather then Max Preps....

I know from reading this board for years and the posters here have a much better handle on the SJS teams....

I would remove Rio Linda and Tracy and replace with St. Mary’s and Oak Ridge....:)
Rio Linda LOST to Center!

Rio Linda lost to Center last year, too. Then R.L. went on to win a state championship. Some teams just have other team's numbers I guess.

Edison also ranked ahead of St. Mary’s? Wow!

Gee, I hope everyone else thinks St. Mary’s isn’t going to be good this year. Stay tuned!
Seems like your taking crappy inaccurate computer rankings too seriously. I dont think any human poll would have some of these teams ranked that high. If they do than they clearly dont know their football very well. I doubt any human is taking SM lightly

Maxpreps.com rankings after Week Zero:

Sac-Joaquin Section Top 25 Football Rankings

1. (last week 1) Folsom
Record: 0-0
Last week: Idle
Next week: Aug. 30 vs. Jesuit

2. (3) Monterey Trail (Elk Grove)
Record: 1-0
Last week: Beat Sheldon 42-14
Next week: Aug. 30 vs. Spanish Springs (Sparks, Nev.)

3. (5) Del Oro (Loomis)
Last week: Beat Pleasant Valley (Chico) 32-19
Next week: Aug. 30 vs. No. 4 Inderkum

4. (4) Inderkum (Sacramento)
Last week: Beat Elk Grove 34-32
Next week: Aug. 30 at No. 3 Del Oro

5. (2) Central Catholic (Modesto)
Record: 0-1
Last week: Lost 26-22 to Clovis West
Next week: Aug. 30 vs. De La Salle

6. (6) Capital Christian (Sacramento)
Last week: Beat Cosumnes Oaks 32-7
Next week: Aug. 30 at Patterson

7. (7) Oak Ridge (El Dorado Hills)
Last week: Beat Lincoln 41-6
Next week: Aug. at Vacaville

8. (8) St. Mary's (Stockton)
Last week: Lost to Pittsburg 42-35
Next week: Idle

9. (18) Davis
Last week: Beat Grant 35-6
Next week: Aug. 30 at Cordova

10. (9) Tracy
Last week: Beat Kimball 27-12
Next week: Aug. 30 at Buhach Colony

11. (10) Yuba City
Last week: Beat Nevada Union 31-12
Next week: Aug. 30 vs. Pleasant Valley (Chico)

12. (11) Manteca
Last week: Beat Lathrop 64-6
Next week: Aug. 30 at Downey

13. (12) Turlock
Last week: Beat Freedom (Oakley) 21-0
Next week: Aug. 30 at Clayton Valley Charter (Concord)

14. (14) Jesuit (Carmichael)
Record: 0-0
Last week: Idle
Next week: Aug. 30 vs. No. 1 Folsom

15. (15) Granite Bay
Last week: Lost to Monte Vista (Danville) 27-22
Next week: Aug. 30 vs. Damonte Ranch (Reno)
16. (16) Placer (Auburn)
Last week: Beat Eureka 40-27
Next week: Aug. 30 at Whitney

17. (13) Vacaville
Last week: Lost to Liberty (Brentwood) 49-24
Next week: Aug. 30 vs. No. 7 Oak Ridge

18. (21) Elk Grove
Last week: Lost to Inderkum 34-32
Next week: Idle

19. (20) Oakdale
Last week: Beat Sonora 41-7
Next week: Aug. 30 at Liberty (Brentwood)

20. (NR) Center (Antelope)
Last week: Beat Rio Linda 48-40
Next week: Aug. 30 at Liberty Ranch

21. (NR) Rocklin
Last week: Beat Antelope
Next week: Aug. 30 vs. Franklin (Elk Grove)

22. (24) Edison (Stockton)
Last week: Beat Vanden 38-10
Next week: Aug. 30 at Modesto Christian

23. (17) Rio Linda
Last week: Lost to Center 48-40
Next week: Aug. 30 at Casa Roble

24. (NR) Sacramento
Last week: Beat Rancho Cotate (Rohnert Park) 24-6
Next week: Aug. 30 vs. Chico

25. (25) Colfax
Last week: Beat Golden Sierra 35-13
Next week: Aug. 30 vs. Woodland

Dropped out: Grant, Sheldon, Antelope

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/i9qd4...tion-top-25-high-school-football-rankings.htm

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT