ADVERTISEMENT

So no one is talking about San Ramon Valley...

Coach_Case

Superstar
Jul 29, 2019
So this board just cares about private schools?

Best three starters graduated last year and they rolling teams.

Alright I’ll be the first to bring them up. They deserve it.

If I haven't posted about them on here, I definitely have in the Top 20.

Natalie Pasco is having an All-NorCal type season.

Sign of a good program when success rolls from one class to the nexzt.

Reactions: Coach_Case
So this board just cares about private schools?

Best three starters graduated last year and they rolling teams.

Alright I’ll be the first to bring them up. They deserve it.
I’m second in line on this one. They came to JL a few years ago with a good team but not a great team and I remember Cheri saying they would be a great program very soon because the coaching was excellent and the players were fundamentally solid. I’ve watched them for 3 years now and she was right. I see on their SM account the coach just won his 100th game tonight in a gigantic win against Monte vista. 100 wins at a public school with closed borders and unable to recruit girls in like Carondelet or Mitty or Joe’s etc and in only 4 and a half seasons? Pass me some of the kool aid they are drinking over there. Coach of the year? I also see they won an NCS Division 1 championship last season and graduated 3 senior starters . Now they have no seniors and 5 freshman? I’ll say it again, Coach of the Year? I’m a homer for Cheri (7-1 this year ) but may have to vote for SRV if they win out. Good call out coach case!

Thanks guys! Now that I think about it, it is hard to get to games to see these teams play these days. I honestly thought Monte Vista another young team would surpass SRV this year but Coach John is doing another fantastic job. I’m bummed we won’t see them match up with Carondelet this season.

San Ramon Valley was impressive against Monte Vista last night (as seen on NFHS), but even more impressive was their victory over Dublin as Pasco wasn't in uniform. Some teams without their star on the court will lose some confidence or composure, but not SRV. Dublin was 4-0 at the time and although not as skilled as MV, SRV didn't miss a beat scoring 88 pts. and playing strong defense giving up only 40. Don't sleep on the other Juniors, Sadie Carter & Alison Stern, as they anchor this team and mentor the talented underclassman.

Looks like SRV is for real. Would have been fun to see this team in Norcal playoffs but that boat came and went.

I don't think there will be a state champion this year ... and here's another interesting angle: Many college-bound seniors will be going to summer school at their new college, and so will be ineligible for some or all of the SoCal playoffs. (Of course at the same time, club basketball will be off, which means some sophs and juniors will now be able to play for their high schools.)

A lot of club teams do take June off, or at least they do in the Bay Area, because of high school activities surrounding graduation.

Reactions: snake18
Most clubs I know get 2-3 tourneys in to fine tune for July. And a lot of clubs have been respectful of the kids finishing their HS seasons so they haven't done as much and would like to probably do more than a typical June to get their teams/players ready for July.

Reactions: snake18
Great game tonight 7:00pm

9-0 San Ramon Valley #19 in California
@
9-0 Carondelet #18 in California

A lot of club teams do take June off, or at least they do in the Bay Area, because of high school activities surrounding graduation.
You’re absolutely correct~ many clubs realize the importance of summer high school for June & AAU in July. We’ve seen most clubs coordinate with the high school coaches so the kids aren’t over doing it.

The chief recruiter in charge Sopak got worked by the small public girls? Did anyone give him some Kleenex for his drive home? Congrats SRV . Great job coach.

The chief recruiter in charge Sopak got worked by the small public girls? Did anyone give him some Kleenex for his drive home? Congrats SRV . Great job coach.
A few years back as SRV was taking the floor at the Mats Tip-Off Classic, Sopak was overhead saying "Why is San Ramon in my tournament?!?!" As SRV has been steadily improving over the last 5+ years, I've been waiting for this day. Congrats Wolves.

SRV doesn't have a Senior on their Roster as their starting 5 are 4 Juniors & a Freshman. They have one more game tomorrow against Pinole Valley. Very sad that these girls don't get an opportunity for a playoff this year.

I think we can talk up San Ramon Valley without shots at Kelly Sopak/Carondelet.

What John Cristiano has built at SRV is really impressive (hope he gets back to full health soon). They have been on a steady climb with the section title last year and beating Antelope in the NorCal playoffs. This win is another step. Off the top of my head, SRV is a preseason Top 10 team starting next year.

San Ramon Valley is a small public school? That's a good one lol.

For Carondelet, signs are there they are going to be really good, really soon. It is good for basketball if other teams in that area are also strong and SRV shows no signs of going anywhere.

Games like last night are good for high school basketball.

Another one of the east bay’s best teams is losing a very talented freshman soon to transfer to Carondelet. Guess what AAU program she plays for?

If this is what it takes to win the EBAL title, SRV is fighting a even more uphill battle in the coming years.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Small in stature ... small in height . Hello!

But the comment stands on its own merit, one day someone may actually hold him accountable. Well I guess technically someone has started
as he was denied one of his “ transfers” from St Joes for play this season for transfer violations. Awkward!

Of course Carondelet will be really good. How many teams can you name that aren’t good that have no borders and recruit and use their AAU program as their school feeder ? If they weren’t going to be good with his cal stars recruits coming over, he would never have taken the job.
Put Sopak against like schools next season like Mitty, Pinewood, SI, Salesian with no borders, overt recruiting and let’s see how that goes.
I’ve said it here before and here it comes again. The success or lack of success we have or have had ( my girls have all graduated now) at Logan with Cheri was based on the girls from our neighborhood. Not from kids we recruited in from Oakland hills, alameda , El Cerrito, Sacramento, Pleasanton and other parts because we were worried we couldn’t win enough with the kids we had.
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

But the comment stands on its own merit, one day someone may actually hold him accountable. Well I guess technically someone has started
as he was denied one of his “ transfers” from St Joes for play this season for transfer violations. Awkward!

Of course Carondelet will be really good. How many teams can you name that aren’t good that have no borders and recruit and use their AAU program as their school feeder ? If they weren’t going to be good with his cal stars recruits coming over, he would never have taken the job.
Put Sopak against like schools next season like Mitty, Pinewood, SI, Salesian with no borders, overt recruiting and let’s see how that goes.
I’ve said it here before and here it comes again. The success or lack of success we have or have had ( my girls have all graduated now) at Logan with Cheri was based on the girls from our neighborhood. Not from kids we recruited in from Oakland hills, alameda , El Cerrito, Sacramento, Pleasanton and other parts because we were worried we couldn’t win enough with the kids we had.

I agree that schools like Carondelet, Mitty, Salesian, Pinewood, O'Dowd, St. Mary's, etc should be judged against each other. And I think success looks different depending on what school you are because things aren't equal.

That said, if we are assuming that San Ramon Valley is good (which I am), then it is more about SRV winning than Carondelet losing.

Reactions: NorCalGBBall22

I love Coach Craddock, but she had kids from Hayward and Fremont. So don't go there about not having kids outside of the district.

Remember years ago with Sabrina he ducked the TOC went to a tournament in Montana and was describing that Montana tournament as a huge deal with great competition ....I called BS then and nothing has changed

I love Coach Craddock, but she had kids from Hayward and Fremont. So don't go there about not having kids outside of the district.
nah... they stay with the granny some days and they auntie the others. so they really dont live in hayward the whole time

Carondelet. Soon to be Mitty 2.0, East Bay version? CCS publics like to refer to the Monarch program as "Winter AAU." There is a strong measure of truth in that.

Carondelet. Soon to be Mitty 2.0, East Bay version? CCS publics like to refer to the Monarch program as "Winter AAU." There is a strong measure of truth in that.

It's unfortunate that the rich get richer. I still think that for competitive equity's sake, C-Let, BOD, St. Vincent, St. Joes, Moreau, should be in a league of their own. They all play by the same rules and it really isn't fair to the other public schools that are "bound" to geographical boundaries (except those with open enrollment).

Some on here have said that it's too far to drive from Hayward to Vallejo, but City schools travel to SJ all the time and I'm sure it's not easy, but they make it happen.

The idea of a super league has been floated for a long time, but the problem really is the other sports. It would work for basketball, maybe -- though having a freshmen girls' or boys' game at 3:30 means a pretty early dismissal from school -- but you've also got baseball, cross country, tennis, golf, etc. The travel costs aren't trivial, because a lot of teams require bus rentals, and those are charged by the hour. So Carondelet to Moreau for a 4 p.m. match is probably, given traffic, a five- or six-hour commitment -- and multiply that by multiple teams in many sports.

How about a Super Vaccinated league
All players, coaches, refs, administration and fans must be vaccinated to attend any events...travel, trainings, practices and games

The idea of a super league has been floated for a long time, but the problem really is the other sports. It would work for basketball, maybe -- though having a freshmen girls' or boys' game at 3:30 means a pretty early dismissal from school -- but you've also got baseball, cross country, tennis, golf, etc. The travel costs aren't trivial, because a lot of teams require bus rentals, and those are charged by the hour. So Carondelet to Moreau for a 4 p.m. match is probably, given traffic, a five- or six-hour commitment -- and multiply that by multiple teams in many sports.

I get that. But again, as mentioned, Mitty, SI, SHC, Riodan have the same exact travel situations as the schools you mentioned. Having to leave downtown, SHC to make it to Valley Christian would be a nightmare without traffic and imagine leaving for a freshman game.

Also, I've never heard of a freshman game starting at 3:30. It's usually 4:30-6:00-7:30, right? I do however think that it would be just as easy for other sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT