ADVERTISEMENT

SoCal teams in 6 of 7 Nike TOC Championships

Paytc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2014
Looks like most of the power teams are out west.

Clare Championship- Windward (Ca) vs MCD (Fl) 3PM PST

Joe Championship- Redondo Union (Ca) vs Mater Dei (Ca) 1:30 pm PST

John Championship- Long Beach Poly( Ca) vs Rosary Academy (Ca) 10:30 am PST

Mike Championship- Christian (Ca) vs Oak Ridge (TN) 9:00am PST

Dan Championship- La Jolla Country Day (Ca) vs Campbell (Ga) 7:30 am PST

Kirk Championship- St. Paul (Ca) vs Desert Mt (AZ) 9am PST

Southern California represented !

Last edited:
If Redondo had any inside presence, they'd be an Open title threat too.

Reactions: Paytc
If Redondo had any inside presence, they'd be an Open title threat too.

Pinewood doesn't have an inside presence (Jump is more dangerous out on the perimeter) and they are a Open title and WCJ championship threat. So you never know what can happen in the next 1-3 months. Mater Dei might peak at the right time as well. And I think there are about 3 or 4 more serious threats in So Cal that didn't participate in the Nike TOC.

Las Vegas has set the odds on a SoCal team winning the Open title. But Norcal has about two or three teams capable of playing some good basketball come March. And Socal and NorCal will both have one team in the championship. Not to mention... I think your WCJ Tournament has just gotten a lot more interesting.

Interesting because????
None of those Socal teams are coming to the WCJ Platinum Division????
And Salesian got taken to woodshed by St Johns
and SMS was embarrassed twice????
I guess that makes things interesting...

Interesting because????
None of those Socal teams are coming to the WCJ Platinum Division????
And Salesian got taken to woodshed by St Johns
and SMS was embarrassed twice????
I guess that makes things interesting...

My point was most of the stronger and better competition is out West.

SMS is a work in progress who has been the best team in the state of California and the nation several times in the past. Salesian as well has been state champions and one of the best in the nation. And I'm sure Salesian (who loss to a couple of the nation's best teams far from scrubs) and SMS will get much better as the season progresses. So knocking them ( many young kids) when they're down shows class. Teams can rebound from double digit losses as someone recently pointed out Centennial loss to CW by double digits (at the Nike TOC) and returned the same double digit defeat back to CW shortly afterwards.

It's tougher to play 4 tough games on the road back to back at the Nike Toc than playing in the WCJ we all know that.

Christian ( who is on the list) will be at the WCJ. Along with................

Etiwanda who beat Redondo Union,Long Beach Poly, Mater Dei, La Jolla CD, all from the list in the TOC championship and I'm sure can beat or at least hang with Windward is more than capable of representing SoCal.

Alemany who beat La Jolla CD, and hung with Windward for 3 quarters is also representing at the WCJ.

Troy who beat Long Beach Poly and La Jolla CD (both from the list) is also representing at the WCJ along with other solid SoCal teams like Harvard-Westlake will be at the WCJ.

And Pinewood the defending Norcal champs and Open Division runner -ups will be there.
along with a few teams that will get much better by seasons end like Carondelet, Salesian, MM, Heritage, and several others.

I never said this was the best lineup ever assembled at the WCJ or anywhere else. But it is a good enough gathering of talent to encourage myself and many others to get out to support them. So it still sounds interesting enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willtalk
Thanks ... though the Jamboree is always happy to have elite teams, the tournament's focus is spread equally on all 148 teams.

We're very grateful when the top teams come, but it's also great to see small schools from out of the area and the locals too.

Reactions: Willtalk and Paytc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT