ADVERTISEMENT

St Ig v Palma scrimmage

30 on S.I.'s roster? Def not good except for maybe SHC & Riordan. Hopefully that number is not accurate with Serra & SF around 60.

30 on S.I.'s roster? Def not good except for maybe SHC & Riordan. Hopefully that number is not accurate with Serra & SF around 60.

Riordan will be close to 35, maybe more, with transfers it hard to tell until it’s all sorted out. I watched them last night, they definitely score but will they stop anyone? Defense needs to sort things out and I think the staff was looking at different combinations especially in the secondary. We will see if they fix things in their game against Saliesan next Saturday

Reactions: jordan24
Riordan will be close to 35, maybe more, with transfers it hard to tell until it’s all sorted out. I watched them last night, they definitely score but will they stop anyone? Defense needs to sort things out and I think the staff was looking at different combinations especially in the secondary. We will see if they fix things in their game against Saliesan next Saturday
Rabbit, any Crusaders stand out? How many transfers this season? Watched the DeLa-Folsom game. There was some serious talent on the field.

I counted only 27 players on St Ignatious but a few may have been out due to injury. It seems funny because if you look at roster on Maxpreps and hudl it lists over 60 players. Not sure what is up with that? Palma suited about 37 and had 3 or 4 out. That is the actual size of their roster both that showed up and pn Maxpreps.

SI Overall -

First team defense seems to be pretty good against the run as far as middle (line and LBs) and they covered the sweep pretty good. DBs seemed soft on pass coverage and covering deep but only a scrimmage. The D-line seemed to hold their own (not sure if it was Palma o-line early on that didn't seem to fire out well at start and they got a little better). Overall SI was tough on Palma rushing attack and covered Anthony Viegas (Palma's featured back pretty well - he had tough yards).

SI first team offense: SI doesn't seem to have lots of speed at the skill positions. WRs seem to be good position receivers and QB (#5) was relatively good at shot and intermediate routes. Move of a pocket passer and not a gun for an arm but didn't make many mistakes. Not a dual threat. SI RBs had some nice runs 5-15 yard runs in first series and a few first downs until turned it over on down. Second series went 4 and out. Third series Palma intercepted on 4th and long (made a good play 4th series SI got 2 first down and tuend the ball over on downs (Palma had 2 sacks -tagged the QB since QB was protected). 5th series they started from Palma 40 and ended the series with nice 20-25 yard TD sweep by #14 (much of Palma second team rotating in). Series 6 seemed to be all second team on both sides and clock was sort and SI turned over on time over.

Seems SI offense will be more control the ball this year. I thought their RBs looked tough but not extremely fleet footed. Line looked decent on defense and offense at times. They don't seem to have lots of big play makers and may be more of a short passing and grindem ball control although they had some success on the sweep. Their defense was pretty good overall and pursued well. If their depth is what showed up at the game, they will probably have a tough year. in league. Not sure they are any better than Riordan or Sacred Heart Cathedral. Seemed at most middle of the Pac WCAL at best becaiuse oif lack of playmaker (if that was all their team). They have good skill players but none stud out although #14 and #25 were pretty good.

Palma overall

Offense - Offensive line didn't look very physical and didn't get a good push although pass blocking seemed pretty good. They are young and seems like they may take time to develop. Palma's QB really spun the ball well and has a live arm. He was accurate on short and intermediate passes and is overthrew a couple times deep to wide open WRs (one was being held by the back of his jersey and penalty called) . He looks like where he took off from last year although velocity seems better and Palma WRs looked pretty good (#10 Berry is shifty) . Palma scored on its third series on a 10 yard TD pass (SI may have been rotating at that time as well). Palma scored with its second team against SI second team on a 26 yard TD pass by back up Luke Brigantino to a stretched out Palma WR in the endzone (nice pass and catch). SI held on the other series with strong efforts in the first two series. After the 3rd series and during it seemed both teams did some rotating and substituting. Palma offense skill players seemed a little quicker. Slot Bering is going to be a very good playmaker and RB Viejo didn't get may tries. Last season he got stronger as games progressed.

Palma defense:

1st team defense looked quick. Strengths are their DBs and line looked small but quick (although not super physical). They seemed to do alright. Palma's LBs played inconsistent. Made some good players at times and other times at least OLB / DE didn't close the edgees for the sweeps, and a couple times were out of position on counters (draws). Overall they played well as well.

Palma offense should get better as time goes. Still young except QB who he looked pretty good. If line gets better on both sides they should compete. LBs may have to go through some growing pains and need to get better against the run and more consistent on the edges. If they don't Palma will have a decent offense but will have tough time on defense against Aptos and Hollister which both have deceptive and smashmouth running games. Palma pass defense looks like it will be very good. They don't have as tough a nonleague schedule (other than Menlo Atherton) and that should give them good time to get better before they face Salinas. If offense jells they could surprise but if not will be middle of the Gab again and a decent small school playoff team. They should be better than last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rmbr26 and jordan24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT