ADVERTISEMENT

State championship bowl games

Cal 14

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 12, 2001
Well, here we are... the grande finale of the high school football season. From summer workouts to challenging (or not) pre-league schedules to the do-or-die (or not) sectional playoffs to the CIF regional bowl playoffs (or not), 30 teams remain in pursuit of a state CIF trophy. At three sites in southern California, 15 teams will be looking to rise to the challenge and hang banners up in their respective gyms.

As I detailed over the last few weeks, the CIF had a major choice on what to do with Central Section D-I champ, Clovis North. I gave both examples of how it could go, but emphasized that if they really wanted to retain the competitive equity model, the Broncos should have been placed in the south. Well, they were placed in the north. As a result of the shifts due to that placement, in many divisions, the NorCal team could be considered one full division higher than their SoCal counterparts. Here is a summary of the matchups as I see them:

Open Division: San Mateo Serra vs. Santa Ana Mater Dei

Everyone and their mothers recognizes that the Monarchs of Mater Dei are among the very top teams in the country, but Serra isn't really chopped liver, either. I believe the first quarter will dictate how this game will go. In other instances where a NorCal team was a distinct underdog, good early defensive play has tended to lull their opposition to sleep (until they turn the ball over and wake them up, but we won't go into that). The Padre defense has generally been really solid this year, so the hope is that they can withstand the Monarch onslaught early on to at least give them something to think about as the game progresses. Will that be enough? Probably not. Mater Dei 38, Serra 10

D-1AA: Concord De La Salle vs. Mission Viejo

I've been saying that the Diablos of Mission Viejo are the class of this division for a while and I still do believe that. But while this is not your father's Spartan team, they've showed at times that they still have some of that magic. It's just that they've also shown that they have had issues in the passing game and with turnovers. Mission Viejo will be steady and are a fairly complete team... not unbeatable, just steady. They've lost some games and I certainly think that De La Salle is capable of pinning another one on them, but I think the lack of consisting passing game may be their undoing. Mission Viejo 27, De La Salle 20

D-1A: Folsom vs. Ventura St. Bonaventure

This is where the impact of the placement of Clovis North starts to come into play. DLS vs. MV will be an interesting game, but I also think Folsom vs. MV would be interesting. However, here the Bulldogs will be taking on the Seraphs of St. Bonaventure. It's not that St. Bonny hasn't seem teams around the level of Folsom, it's that they've pretty much lost to every one of them. The SJS D-I champ play has also been a little shaky over the last few weeks, too, but they have persevered against multiple teams either at or above the level of the Seraphs. Calpreps is predicting a 14-point win for Folsom, which could be about right, but I also suspect that this is one they could blow open as they did in their early match-up with Oak Ridge. Folsom 41, St. Bonaventure 20

D-2AA: Sacramento Grant vs. Whittier La Serna

The Lancers of La Serna were in trouble early in their SoCal regional game against a physical Orange Vista team. Key execution in the 4th quarter brought them back and into this CIF state bowl game. The problem for this is that the physicality and speed they will see in the Pacers will be on another level. Grant only had a few opportunities to see high-level competition during the regular season and had mixed results. In the playoffs, however, they have really rounded into form with four consecutive blowouts, including against a very well-respected Rocklin Thunder team. Calpreps is only predicting a 7-point win for Grant, but I see it being a little more than that. Grant 41, La Serna 24

D-2A: Los Gatos vs. Visalia Central Valley Christian

Watching the SoCal regional bowl game for the Cavaliers of Central Valley Christian, I was reminded of two CIF bowl winners from the Central Section (Washington Union over Campolindo in 2011 and Bakersfield over Del Oor in 2013). In each of those game, the speed from the valley teams was largely was the difference and Central Valley Christian has that. The thing is that Los Gatos has also seen teams with speed and while they've held their own, they haven't entirely been able to overcome it. That said, among the big differences between Pittsburg or Grant and the Cavaliers is defense, which definitely has been a sticking point that the Wildcats can exploit. Los Gatos has demonstrated that they can win high- or low-scoring affairs, but I'm not entirely confident in the 14-point win that Calpreps is predicting. I do think that the Wildcats will emerge victorious, but I could also see an upset in this division. Los Gatos 45, Central Valley Christian 37

D-3AA: Lafayette Acalanes vs. Van Nuys Birmingham

In my projections for the bowl divisions, I felt that Simi Valley and the Patriots of Birmingham were generally interchangeable in their placement. While, as an outsider, it didn't make a significant difference to me that the CIF reversed the order from what I listed, I think it certainly made a pretty big difference for SVHS and BHS as I don't think either would have beaten CVC. Instead, Birmingham was able to hang around against the San Diego Section's Del Norte long enough to pull off a dramatic Hail Mary at the end to steal the victory. I don't anticipate the same dramatics against Acalanes as the Dons have been playing very well during these playoffs, winning comfortably against teams I consider to be about at the Patriot's level (San Marin and Escalon). I suspect that Birmingham has generally enjoyed a speed advantage against most of their opponents this year, but I don't think that's going to be the case in this one. Acalanes 31, Birmingham 17

D-3A: Kentfield Marin Catholic vs. Lakewood Mayfair

This is where teams start to come from somewhat stronger leagues, but who finished mid-pack. The Monsoons of Mayfair had to face Warren and Downey during league play, so a third-place finish shouldn't be too surprising. However, neither game was especially competitive against those teams, who approximate the strength of Marin Catholic. The Wildcats didn't face anyone of this level until their final regular season game, which they dropped against San Marin. Still, wins over Cardinal Newman and McClymonds demonstrate they're ready for this game. Mayfair is decent on offense, so Marin Catholic will probably want to avoid a shootout, but their defense has yielded quite a bit of points this year. Calpreps has an over/under of 49 for this game, but I anticipate the scoring to be higher. Marin Catholic 38, Mayfair 24

Last edited:
D-4AA: Soquel vs. Fontana Jurupa Hills

Jurupa Hills is the first team we see that finished the regular season with a losing record (4-6), but because the Spartans were placed in a competitive-equity division in the Southern Section playoffs, some of their competition there was in the same boat. The team they beat for the D-8 title, Charter Oak, was actually 2-8 prior to the playoffs. By comparison, Soquel only had two losses and both came against D-I level competition (Los Gatos and Salinas). The Knights defense has really performed well for the year, not allowing more than 14 points in any of their 11 wins. The reality is that Jurupa Hills would have been an underdog to either of the NorCal representatives in this division, so it doesn't bode well that Soquel had few difficulties in a 42-14 win last week. Soquel 42, Jurupa Hills 10

D-4A: Salinas Palma vs. Tulare Mission Oak

On paper, Mission Oak and Palma may not appear to be terribly dissimilar. They both finished mid-pack in similar strengthed leagues and their sectional playoff competition was also around the same. It's just that in a review of the SoCal regional game (against a predominantly running team), they had difficulty defending the pass and Palma does that fairly well. That was just one data point, so it's entirely possible that the Hawks had done better in other games. Although I often rail against the "eye test", it just appeared that Palma was better prepared to deal with higher competition. I believe that most of the best small-school football is played in the SJS and the Chieftains' opponents last week, Hughson, certainly lived up to that standard despite their 10-point loss. Palma 31, Mission Oak 21

D-5AA: Chico Pleasant Valley vs. Riverside Ramona

The Ramona Rams may be another victim of the Clovis North decision. In my more-competitive model, I would have had this team in D-5A and their opponent this week as high as D-4AA. I don't know whether Ramona was dealing with injuries in the middle of the season, but they had a pair of bad losses during league play to Patriot and Hillcrest. In two games against teams with similar Calpreps ratings as Pleasant Valley, the Rams lost by 20 and 21 points. The Vikings did well to overcome a surprising 35-0 blowout loss to Chico to avenge that defeat for the Northern Section D-II title, followed by a comfortable win over Miramonte, whose level probably isn't all that different than Ramona. Pleasant Valley 31, Ramona 10

D-5A: Woodland Woodland Christian vs. Wilmington Banning

Although it looks rather peculiar that Banning took last place in their league this year, but still have found themselves competing for a CIF state bowl title, it must be pointed out that all of the Pilots' leaguemates qualified for the Los Angeles City Section Open Division. It can even be said that they gave league co-champ Gardena their only league loss. Even though they didn't really face anyone of quality in their D-I sectional playoff bracket, a 20-point win in their SoCal regional game against La Jolla Country Day does suggest they could punch above their level. Woodland Christian won their league, but it wasn't particularly competitive. Beating Ripon Christian by 22 for the SJS D-VII title and Orland last week in the NorCal regional 28-0 does suggest they are the favorites in this contest... however, I'm thinking that the contrasting styles may favor Banning. Their QB has thrown for over 2000 yards, but they have moved toward a more ground and pound, physical running game that I suspect may wear on the Cardinals. Upset special. Banning 26, Woodland Christian 17

D-6AA: Petaluma St. Vincent de Paul vs. Wasco

Another case where the divisions are probably mismatched. Wasco has only faced two teams with positive ratings on Calpreps and not surprisingly, lost to both comfortably. The Tigers have shown resiliance in winning their Central Section D-V championship and SoCal regional by one point in each game, but I think a better place for this team probably would have been D-6A, while I could see SVdP up in D-5AA. St. Vincent de Paul has seen some decent competition for its level, including knocking off big-school Palo Alto in the NorCal regional game. Taking the NCS D-6 title over Salesian by 36 was definitely impressive. Calpreps predicts a 24-point win for the Mustangs and I can't really disagree. St. Vincent de Paul 45, Wasco 14

D-6A: Colusa vs. National City Sweetwater

Sweetwater is another team that finished with the regular season with a losing record. I'd love say that this was a result of some decent competition, but that doesn't appear to be the case. The Red Devils won the San Diego Section D-V title, but had to battle all the way to do it. Undefeated Colusa had games where they won going away, but also some where they really had to fight. I do suspect they will win this game, but I have a feeling that Sweetwater is going to make them work for it, since they haven’t been held under 20 points since October. Calpreps calls for an over/under of 60, but I'm anticipating this to get a bit higher than that. Colusa 42, Sweetwater 32

D-7AA: Ferndale vs. Los Angeles Fairfax

Many will see this as somewhat of a David vs Goliath since Ferndale is so much smaller than Fairfax. But the reality is that a lot of the Los Angeles City Section teams have suffered from low turnout for the last several years. The Lions were fortunate enough to get a bye during the SoCal regional round and their run through the sectional playoffs may be somewhat credited by the sheer high percentage of teams that qualify in the section. Ferndale is making its first CIF Bowl championship appearance and looks to make full use of the opportunity, having won easily against Portola in the NorCal regional round. Ferndale 31, Fairfax 13

D-7A: Strathmore vs. Bell Gardens

The Lancers of Bell Gardens were the only team that was able to eliminate an LACS counterpart, defeating Jordan 28-8 last week. Strathmore avenged a regular season loss to Mendota to take the Central Section D-VI title before easily handling the SFS champ, Lincoln. Games around the center of Calpreps ratings can be unpredictable. The site predicts a 14-point win for Strathmore, but I suspect the Spartans won’t win that easily, but will still win. Strathmore 28, Bell Gardens 21

Last edited:
This year is odd with so many LA City teams in the state bowl games. The City section has been completely deprived of its talents since most go to nearby privates in the SS. Can't blame the parents since the private schools in the suburbs provide a better environment, safety, and education than inner city LA schools.

The games between MV - DLS and Folsom - St Bonnies should be interesting. I'm going to go with MD for the blowout. Serra won't be use to the size and speed they will see this Saturday, especially since this is a home game for MD.

Impressive analysis Cal one four !!........ I sure hope NCP grasps the quality of its subscribers such as yourself and digs into their pockets to show their appreciation at subscript renew time. Will definitely follow the fates/progess of many Prep squads because of your thumbnail analyses or analysises .
Thank You Sir

Thanks, concrete.

This is just one of my hobbies. I don't really watch college football (a bit disgusted by all of the transferring) and only watch NFL on DVR. Despite the gf's grumblings, I figure I should be able to have at least one night a week during the fall to pursue this before things go back to normal after this weekend. :p

I actually met Doug several years ago in person and he's a genuinely nice guy who I think has done a great job with this site. The fact that it has lasted so long while most others have faded away is a testament to that.

This year is odd with so many LA City teams in the state bowl games. The City section has been completely deprived of its talents since most go to nearby privates in the SS. Can't blame the parents since the private schools in the suburbs provide a better environment, safety, and education than inner city LA schools.

The games between MV - DLS and Folsom - St Bonnies should be interesting. I'm going to go with MD for the blowout. Serra won't be use to the size and speed they will see this Saturday, especially since this is a home game for MD.

Yes, the LACS has been stripped of a lot of its talent in much the same way that San Francisco and San Jose public schools have. Almost all of those good players are at private schools. It was somewhat alarming to see just how far the section had fallen when I was doing the regional bowl buildups.

Having seen Mater Dei and St. John Bosco the last two years I think does help Serra a lot. I think they'll fair better, but we just can't deny the overall talent discrepancy between the two private powerhouses in SoCal and pretty much everyone else in the state.

Yes, the LACS has been stripped of a lot of its talent in much the same way that San Francisco and San Jose public schools have. Almost all of those good players are at private schools. It was somewhat alarming to see just how far the section had fallen when I was doing the regional bowl buildups.

Having seen Mater Dei and St. John Bosco the last two years I think does help Serra a lot. I think they'll fair better, but we just can't deny the overall talent discrepancy between the two private powerhouses in SoCal and pretty much everyone else in the state.
Nice to see Banning back to some relevance in SoCal. Powerhouse Public program in The 70s

I've said this before, and I'll go ahead and say this again. Competitive Equality in the Central Coast, Central, Southern & San Diego Sections allow mediocre large schools to compete for Section and State titles at the expense of medium and small schools. Case in point this year in Football, Banning and Sweetwater. Both 4-6 during the regular season, both allowed to drop down to brackets they could win in the name of games being competitive. This also takes place in all other sports as well. This does not mean I am completely against competitive equality; I just think these sections go too far with it. Both Banning and Sweetwater, both with enrollments over 2500, should not be playing for state titles. Just my opinion.

I've said this before, and I'll go ahead and say this again. Competitive Equality in the Central Coast, Central, Southern & San Diego Sections allow mediocre large schools to compete for Section and State titles at the expense of medium and small schools. Case in point this year in Football, Banning and Sweetwater. Both 4-6 during the regular season, both allowed to drop down to brackets they could win in the name of games being competitive. This also takes place in all other sports as well. This does not mean I am completely against competitive equality; I just think these sections go too far with it. Both Banning and Sweetwater, both with enrollments over 2500, should not be playing for state titles. Just my opinion.
Whoa, didn't know Banning was 4-6. 4-6? How does a sub .500 record quality a team to play for a State Title in any division?

Crazy thing about Banning is they changed their offense for the playoffs.During the season they were an RPO offense now they are a two TE 3 back offensive that rarely throws the ball

Crazy thing about Banning is they changed their offense for the playoffs.During the season they were an RPO offense now they are a two TE 3 back offensive that rarely throws the ball
I remember in the early 2000s they were mostly a running team who rarely threw the ball.

Back in 1993, I think it was, my alma mater was a Veer team up until week 9. Week 10, they switched to the Fly offense. The team they played in the 1st round of the playoffs had only allowed something like 26 yards rushing for the entire season.

Now, mind you this is when coaches had to hand over 2 games worth of tapes at the seeding meeting because there was no internet. Well, it seems that they handed over the Veer games because they rushed for over 330 yards against that team, breaking numerous long runs. They had no idea what to do on defense.

Well, here we are... the grande finale of the high school football season. From summer workouts to challenging (or not) pre-league schedules to the do-or-die (or not) sectional playoffs to the CIF regional bowl playoffs (or not), 30 teams remain in pursuit of a state CIF trophy. At three sites in southern California, 15 teams will be looking to rise to the challenge and hang banners up in their respective gyms.

As I detailed over the last few weeks, the CIF had a major choice on what to do with Central Section D-I champ, Clovis North. I gave both examples of how it could go, but emphasized that if they really wanted to retain the competitive equity model, the Broncos should have been placed in the south. Well, they were placed in the north. As a result of the shifts due to that placement, in many divisions, the NorCal team could be considered one full division higher than their SoCal counterparts. Here is a summary of the matchups as I see them:
Wow - once again, you have outdid yourself!!! This whole season was so much fun with @Streak One's pick'em games, @PAL Booster's CCS weekly playoff predictions and your Regional Bowl Games predictions. And now we have a summarized view of every SBG game to reference this weekend. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
I remember in the early 2000s they were mostly a running team who rarely threw the ball.

Back in 1993, I think it was, my alma mater was a Veer team up until week 9. Week 10, they switched to the Fly offense. The team they played in the 1st round of the playoffs had only allowed something like 26 yards rushing for the entire season.

Now, mind you this is when coaches had to hand over 2 games worth of tapes at the seeding meeting because there was no internet. Well, it seems that they handed over the Veer games because they rushed for over 330 yards against that team, breaking numerous long runs. They had no idea what to do on defense.
I believe HC of that Salinas team was my pal John Felice. He wasn't HC long for the Cowboys but was a darn good coach. Great analysis David! Like you my wife gives me one night a week during the high school football season. Today and tomorrow is CA fans high school superbowl. Very excited to see several of the games. Would be great if Serra could make a game of it tomorrow night. Maybe Walsh will follow the Felice strategy. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Cal 14
I believe HC of that Salinas team was my pal John Felice. He wasn't HC long for the Cowboys but was a darn good coach. Great analysis David! Like you my wife gives me one night a week during the high school football season. Today and tomorrow is CA fans high school superbowl. Very excited to see several of the games. Would be great if Serra could make a game of it tomorrow night. Maybe Walsh will follow the Felice strategy. LOL
Ya know, I did think about that. They did have 3 weeks to come up with a gameplan. I suspect we'll see a few trick plays and some unique formations.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
The Central, LA, and San Diego sections allow an extraordinary high percentage of teams into their respective playoffs. In the case of both Banning and Sweetwater, almost all of the other teams in their brackets had the same issues.

Banning, though, beat Crenshaw who was 11-2 at the time, for the LACS D-I title. Really, what more do you want?

If you're a fan of small-town football, cheer for Colusa and Ferndale the most.

Banning, though, beat Crenshaw who was 11-2 at the time, for the LACS D-I title. Really, what more do you want?
... and this is really what I don't entirely understand about this whole "mediocre" debate.

Why is it ok to reward teams who build up good records against weak competition, while it isn't ok for teams who struggle against really good teams?

We need to stop looking at the records as the measure because the spectrum of competition is so vast at the high school level. Having one team that routinely gets crushed by better teams in league or one that routinely crushes everyone else... why is that a better model? I don't get it.

If you're a fan of small-town football, cheer for Colusa and Ferndale the most.
Yep! They are especially notable because they are not near near a sizable metropolitan areas.

Ferndale has a population a little over 1K people being about 30 miles from Eureka which is called the largest coastal town between Portland and the SF Bay area. But even the greater Eureka area has less than 45K people.

Colusa is a town about about 22K people, but they are pretty far from any other sizable area.

I'll add Strathmore and Soquel to that small town list.

Strathmore is about 3K in population and they are about 25 miles from the larger Visalia area.

Soquel is about 10K and they are within 15 miles of Santa Cruz. However, Santa Cruz is smaller than most people think at about 65K.

Tough luck to anyone wanting to see all the bowl games in person.

We have 3 games starting Friday (today) at 4 pm at 3 different venues.
D-2AA Grant vs La Serna is at Saddleback College, Mission Viejo
D-6AA St. Vincent vs Wasco at Pasadena City College, Pasadena
D-7AA Ferndale vs Fairfax at El Camino College. Torrance

Last edited:
NorCal sweep!

Serra 19 Mater Dei 17

De La Salle 35 Mission Viejo 24

Folsom 38 St Bonaventure 27

Grant 35 La Serna 23

Los Gatos 21 Central Valley Christian 20

Acalanes 42 Birmingham 28

Marin Catholic 23 Lakewood 21

Soquel 38 Fontana 30

Palma 20 Mission Oak 14

Pleasant Valley 31 Ramona 28

Woodland Christian 27 Banning 24

St. Vincent de Paul 45 Wasco 42

Colusa 36 Sweetwater 28

Ferndale 21 Fairfax 14

Strathmore 23 Gardens 16

Good luck to all the team, especially NorCal!

NorCal sweep!

Serra 19 Mater Dei 17

De La Salle 35 Mission Viejo 24

Folsom 38 St Bonaventure 27

Grant 35 La Serna 23

Los Gatos 21 Central Valley Christian 20

Acalanes 42 Birmingham 28

Marin Catholic 23 Lakewood 21

Soquel 38 Fontana 30

Palma 20 Mission Oak 14

Pleasant Valley 31 Ramona 28

Woodland Christian 27 Banning 24

St. Vincent de Paul 45 Wasco 42

Colusa 36 Sweetwater 28

Ferndale 21 Fairfax 14

Strathmore 23 Gardens 16

Good luck to all the team, especially NorCal!
I Luv It!!!!….. Let’s Go Nor Cal!!!

Unfortunately though, they only way we sweep in Nor Cal is if San Diego Mater Dei shows up instead of the Real MD…. 🤣

Last edited:
Fairfax scores again. Ferndale doesn't have an answer for their passing game. 14-0

Wasco score at the beginning of 2Q but misses their PAT SV 7-6

Fairfax dominating with their pass offense. But with their 3rd scoring attempt, Ferndale recovers a fumble. Maybe this gives Ferndale a chance.

Ferndale could not convert of 4th down. The lions scores on the next play. Fairfax 21-0. This game might be over already just 9 minutes left in the 2Q.

Ferndale defense finds some success - scores 2 on a safety while Fairfax as trying to get a kick off. Fairfax 21-2.

Grant scores 10 minutes in 2Q, PAT blocked. Grant 13-6.

Grant fumbles and La Serna recovers. 7 minutes left in 2Q

Ferndale finally scores a TD. They fail with the 2 point conversion. Fairfax 21-8

La Serna scores less than 2 minutes left in 2Q. converts 2 pts, La Serna 14-13

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT