ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Game Thread: D1, D3, D5

D1 public school beating a D4 public school in the D3 finals. Good for Oakland but why are they D3?
u need 10 kids. really you only need 8. the d1 population of oakland high is deceiving.... 80 percent have zero athletic ability but are great in math

u need 10 kids. really you only need 8. the d1 population of oakland high is deceiving.... 80 percent have zero athletic ability but are great in math
Totally understand. I'm actually complementing Oakland I thought they were way better than a D3 team.

Not playing the North Region finals at Golden 1 took away any advantage that the North used to have in the State Finals. It used t give them a game to get used to the court.

D1 public school beating a D4 public school in the D3 finals. Good for Oakland but why are they D3?

Oakland's enrollment is 1,500, which makes it a D3 school. OAL schools are often listed D1 regardless of enrollment size.

And as mentioned, 80% of OUSD students are on free lunches, have English as a second language, or are in foster care. I imagine McFarland may have similar issues, but I would guess the "effective enrollment" is not that much different.

And also note that McFarland has every girl who can play at its school. How many girls who should go to Oakland are at O'Dowd or SMB or SJND or even Salesian?

I thought they were way better than a D3 team.

I'm really trying to understand you here. you referred to OHigh as a D1 public school. did you mean D1 by the Norcal Division placement they "should" have had? I remind you that they won the Norcal D3 championship by 2 points, which suggests they were placed in the right Norcal Division. and although they won State by 16, they were only ahead by 4 at half, again suggesting the final was not a mismatch.

I'm really trying to understand you here. you referred to OHigh as a D1 public school. did you mean D1 by the Norcal Division placement they "should" have had? I remind you that they won the Norcal D3 championship by 2 points, which suggests they were placed in the right Norcal Division. and although they won State by 16, they were only ahead by 4 at half, again suggesting the final was not a mismatch.
I am just interested in why this process is so secretive and there is no real criteria to know how these teams are seeded. How does Oakland, who beat Aptos by 40 something and Bishop O'dowd wind up with 26 wins and a strong resume, fall 12 spots behind Aptos (D2) who had no signature wins this year. Are they actually seeding 1-88 and just letting it rip? Do they avoid section matchups in first round? Why did they give byes to the top 2 seeds in D1? Why weren't the top 2 seeds in D2 the 15 and 16 seed in D1? Not a hater on the tournament just wish I knew more about it I guess. Not trying to start a war here. Just my thoughts. It's not really a big deal at all and I'm proud that the Oakland girls took care of business and beat the teams in front of them. I fully acknowledge that competitive equity works and that there is no perfect system so I'm moving on! Go women's basketball

Reactions: Coach Cardinal
got it. I like the concept, but the actual sausage-making can be puzzling. thanks for clarifying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT