4. Presentation 20.5
5. Miramonte 20.2
6. Bishop O'Dowd 19.7
6. Mitty 19.7
6. Saint Francis 19.7
9. St. Mary's Berkeley 19.1
10. Saint Mary's Stockton 10.0
10. Vanden 18.0

Out of the eleven teams listed they are broken down by section with CCS leading with 5 teams, NCS with 4 teams and SJS with two teams. Both Brookside and Carondelet are both at 17.9 and Salesian is way down at 14.9.

There are 5 WCAL schools in the top 8, and their SOS will go up relative to the others as the league season progresses. They will probably be the top 5 in NorCal for SOS when the playoffs begin.

Just saying.

Sound Good but look at Computer ranking tell it all. So didn't Berkeley lose to MM 3 times or 2 times and 30 minutes and 30 lost to MM. Brookside was complain about the refs the week before but you told them to stop whining on here but at least they finish the game with all the bad calls. That's call karma and you know what they say about karma " Karma is a b****** ". So you saying 12-7 should be 3 in the ranking. All I got to say is "JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS" if you think that. I cant say any more but dam you couldn't come up with anything better the strength of schedule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the funniest thing I heard on here all year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post was edited on 1/26 7:47 PM by ballersdreams

This post was edited on 1/26 7:49 PM by ballersdreams

This post was edited on 1/26 7:50 PM by ballersdreams

This post was edited on 1/26 6:19 PM by ballersdreams

Strength of Schedule (SOS) is not the same as rankings. There's a different number for that in the MaxPreps rankings. Go back to the site and look again. Here's what you'll find for Nor Cal team rankings:

St Ignatius 34.43
Miramonte 33.77
SMS 33.69
Pinewood 32.77
Vanden 31.54
Brookside 31.09
Carondelet 30.67
Mitty 30.28
Oak Ridge 29.71
Salesian 28.73

So relax, there are no 12 - 7 teams in the Nor Cal top ten rankings. Personally, I think the MaxPreps computer rankings were significantly better a couple of years ago. Seems like they tweaked the algorithm and it now produces some silly results like SMS being ranked below SI and MM, and Vanden and Brookside being ranked above Clet and Mitty. And because of the Open Division it gets skewed at the end of the year also, with teams that lose in the Open falling behind Division teams that didn't make the Open.

P.S. I think you should "Just say know to drugs" ballersdreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if this is the case with these rankings but some California computer rankings in the past have only included teams from the state of California and sometimes even as regional as Nor Cal or section. If a team played teams from out of the included area then those games would not be factored into the rankings.

Computer ranking serve a purpose but in isolation can also be deceptive. For example Team A who played a some top level competition and took some losses along with some wins while playing in a really weak league would take a huge hit on the strength of schedule because of those weak league teams. While a team that played a majority of mediocre teams and picked up a lot of wins while never picking up any losses from any top level teams would have the advantage in the computer rankings. It's the same in college. Playing slightly better teams than pure cup cakes will be an advantage in strength of schedule while still providing the same assurance of low risk games. A team taking a loss against a higher ranked team can actually pick up ground on another team who wins against a very low ranked team. Entering margin of victory also means very little since some teams run up the score while others try to hold them down.

All computer rankings have flaws so we should always take that into consideration. As I stated before they have their uses in context, but we shouldn't take them too seriously.

The post was regarding the strength of schedule only. Are you reading my post about poor officiating? We got beat twice by MM and the refs had no impact on the outcome other than the normal missed call here or there just like when we beat Brookside. I am not defending leaving the court so you have me on that one. Hopefully Brookside can do a better job filling their schedule next year. It is unfortunate the former coach was fired and did not have the time to fill the schedule. If he was still the coach I would be willing to bet that Brookside would win the Open.

I will tell you a school was on the schedule to play brookside, and they basically dropped the game because, I am assuming, they didn't want to travel...even though that school traveled to them last year. After many attempts to contact them, they finally blamed it on the old coach. I know after reading these blogs, some people don't agree with coach Que...but I guarantee if he was still the coach there would have been a game. So don't feel to sorry for Brookside, they had plenty of time to fill their schedule, and they had at least one more game lined up, just chose not to play it.

enman13

You can run but you cant hide I thought the officiating caused the walk off protest ???? yes or no??? if not the officiating" what was the walk off about........???? MM frustrated your team that much too walk off the court ???? MM is a good team with a super player. did you get out coached ???? as for the Old coach he was set up to win the open before he was fired !!!! did you know he tried to Kill the program on his way out ?!?!? 4 good players left on his behalf he tried to get more but they decided to stay ..... Brookside recovered well dont you agree 16-2 & looking forward to the open this year........... don't hide enman13

I wrote previously, we got beat, no excuses. Let's talk about hiding. Your team is all smoke and mirrors. You have a great pg and two other players, wing and post but after that you are JV level at best. I speak the truth!!!!!!!!

This post was edited on 1/27 12:40 AM by enman13

This what I don't understand ranking these days. If a few team play each a couple of times in the same circle call themselves the better teams. But when the step out the box they have problems with other top rank teams they are still called the best. It seem too many people judge a team on their past not the present which the should be judge on. It seem the only teams this year step out of the box is SMS, SI, Pinewood, Mitty, and SHC they all try to play the top teams. But in the top 8 in the only 5 teams dare to play the best. I think rank should be about who went out their way to play the best. Now I going to tell about the other 3 teams in the top 8 in the ranking.

MM ranked number 2 why wasn't they in the WCJ this year and why they only play at home for most of their wins. The good teams they play on the road gave them their 2 loses. They had a tournament with the enter circle teams to pat the stats because you know the team.

Carondelet number 5 who have they have a quality win Berkeley and Sac which is not that good this year at all. What about the second round lost to Redondo Union in the Santa Barbara and lost to Pinewood this weekend. Please tell me where the quality wins are at on their schedule. And they haven't played Mitty yet. I think Mitty wins that game. Sounds like history there is no Natalie Romeo this year.

SMB number 8 who's quality win is against Vanden. But loses against Salesian, Mark Keppei, MM 2 times, and Bishop Manogue. How are they even in the top 8 with 6 loses. Sounds like going on history no Gabby Green this year.

AND girlsb....ll1616 I know you are no talking about Pleasant Valley really is see they have room for games still call Brookside I sure they will play you at your place. I don't think Brookside ducks anyone at all !!!!!!!!!!

The Berkeley vs Brookside I heard the only smoking mirrors was the refs but BROOKSIDE PLAYED FOR 32 MINUTES THAT GAME DIDNT WHIN AND CALL IT QUITES !!!!!!!!!!! ONCE A QUITERS ALWAYS A QUITER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This post was edited on 1/26 10:41 PM by ballersdreams

enman13

I guess your not going to speak on that walk off situation ???? I just have to assume your coaching staff fell apart knowing you had no chance to win the game ??? I know the kids didn't decide to walk off of the court ???? Let's move on Enman13 !?!?!? I see you talk about how young your team is !?!? They should be a lot better next year. You should ad Brookside to your schedule next year @ your home court it will only strengthen your schedule because Brookside will be ranked higher than Berkley ???? They don't run or hide enman13 since half their team is JVs at best you should have no problem easy win right .......??? You can run coward but you can't hide......
You can't handle the truth!!!!!!! Lol

Actually,SMB has beaten Berkeley and a down Sacto,but should have beaten Saleaian imo.They`ll get another shot at them.I think they`ve shown they are a pretty good team.

SMB Vs, Salesian this Saturday, 8pm Albany High School. Should be a packed house.

Just looked at MaxPreps again today. The top five NorCal schools for Strength of Schedule:

Sacred Heart Cathedral: 24.39
Saint Ignatius: 23.94
Presentation: 21.53
Saint Francis (MV): 20.95
Archbishop Mitty: 20.20

Also, all seven WCAL teams are "ranked" in the top 222 teams in the state by MaxPreps. Pretty impressive.

And Valley Christian isn't bad either ...

The WCAL is definitely the toughest league around, year in and year out.

Other leagues go up and down, but for whatever reason, the WCAL just keeps on rolling.

The reason why it's the most competitive year in year out is because of the ability to get players into those schools. It's no wonder that a private school league is the most competitive.

It may just be a matter of semantics, but I believe the reason the WCAL schools are the most competitive year in and year out is because of the ability of players to get into these schools. The result is the same, and you're right, it's no wonder that a private school league is the most competitive.

So maybe our only disagreement is that you may think maybe these schools actively "get players", and I've seen first hand that it's the players/students/parents that actively seek to get into these schools.

Just Saying.

I agree 100% Southbayhoopfan!!!!!

Its not necessarily the private school issue...rather its the ability for the families to have the option to "go" to those schools
rather than being locked into a district.

Here in Sonoma county about 12 yrs ago the county went open enrollment.

The school that most benefitted from that was by far a public school...Maria Carrillo

In fact 3 yrs ago...the Maria Carrillo girls almost SWEPT THE BOARD IN SPORTS!!!! They won every single NBL girls sport in the

school year except the last sport (softball)...and that went down to the last game of the yr. vs. Rancho Cotati (if they had won that
game they would have won that sport also, but they lost).....

they won the HS soccer NATIONAL championship last year.....have won NBL volleyball 10 yrs running...just to name a few of their dominating sports.

Maria Carrillo has the reputation as by far the best academics of any public school in the county.....and when the district borders were opened....the kids came in droves.

in comparison....the only PRIVATE SCHOOL in the NBL ( Cardinal Newman) LAST YEAR the boys DIDNT win a single NBL sport for the 1st time in the schools history...not 1.......and the girls only won a co-championship in basketball....

so at least here in Sonoma county the private vs public school argument doesn't compute.

This post was edited on 2/4 2:39 PM by northbaybbguru

This post was edited on 2/4 2:41 PM by northbaybbguru

This post was edited on 2/4 2:42 PM by northbaybbguru

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT