ADVERTISEMENT

Sutter vs East Nicolaus Scrimmage 8/17

Two of the NS's very best. Barker sure elevated EN quite quickly. I'd say that they'd better hope they can hang on to him, but he's an alum from what I understand.

And Deadpool has done a tremendous job with the Huskies.

I'm really curious to see what Darren Trueblood can do at U-Prep this year and in the near future. Enterprise hasn't been the same since he left.

Ryan Reynolds is the Head man at Sutter. Not sure who Deadpool is. Going to be a BBQ / scrimmage between these 2 North Section powerhouses in their respective divisions. Coaching staffs respect the heck out of one another and teams will play each other then eat together. Coach Neil Stinson has a lot to do with ENs resurgence. He has lots of head coaching experience and kids like to play for him. The Spartans rise started when he came on staff. Obviously whatever they are doing together is working for them. The North Section stayed status quo as far as moving the schedule back a week like most sections did and now will be a week behind everyone else. Will effect out of section games no doubt.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Correct, Barker is an Alum and doesn't have plans on going anywhere.

I second what farmair3 has to say about Stinson coming on board. Stinson came over from Wheatland after getting a full time teaching job at EN the same year that Barker decided to take over the Football program. So between them both they have brought back EN to what it used to be during the days of legendary Coach Wahl.

Much respect between these 2 programs, its going to be great having them on the field together.

The North Section stayed status quo as far as moving the schedule back a week like most sections did and now will be a week behind everyone else.

Which is ironic since the NS was always the one to start a week earlier than everyone else up until about 8 or 9 years ago.

That went right over my Head!! Even now that you say it I still don't know about Deadpool!! LOL Not a movie guy. And yes the tides have turned. And absolutely no disrespect taken. You have always been a class act on here Thunder!!

Correct, Barker is an Alum and doesn't have plans on going anywhere.

Which is great news for EN.

I second what farmair3 has to say about Stinson coming on board. Stinson came over from Wheatland after getting a full time teaching job at EN the same year that Barker decided to take over the Football program. So between them both they have brought back EN to what it used to be during the days of legendary Coach Wahl.

Not bad for a guy wearing the AD hat while also coaching the softball team to a section title. Pretty remarkable guy.

With regard to Geoff Wahl, while he eventually had success at EN -- it took him a while to get it going. Only 1 winning season among his first 7. The new staff did inherit a good team from the season before but they've since taken it to the next level. It remains to be seen how long they can maintain or whether they can compete with the larger programs such as Sutter and Paradise.

That went right over my Head!! Even now that you say it I still don't know about Deadpool!! LOL Not a movie guy. And yes the tides have turned. And absolutely no disrespect taken. You have always been a class act on here Thunder!!

No worries! I know you're extremely passionate about the Sutter program and very involved with it. Just wanted to be sure ;)

I know you guys got a big tilt coming up with legendary Cardinal Newman. I'm sure the Huskies will be ready for the challenge. How you guys looking about now?

The program was in disarray the few years before Barker and Stinson took over.

The program was in disarray the few years before Barker and Stinson took over.

Most definitely. And a couple coaching changes in between Matt Ray and the current regime.

BTW, I totally misspoke about Barker inheriting a good team. For whatever reason I was thinking Barker's 1st season was 2015, not 2014. I have lots of useless info floating around in my head and sometimes I get it all mixed up. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: EN_FB_Alum
Have to agree with all the Stinson talk. He was the head coach at Ripon High in the 90’s and won a section championship in 96, the last time Ripon beat Central Catholic. Moved on to Marysville High to coach them to the playoffs for the first time since he quarterbacked there as a player.

Has there ever been a push for Sutter to leave the NS and join SJS? Just wondering with their success and their close prox to Sac and Yuba. I could see them going into the new Foothill Valley Leauge or eventually add in with the Yuba teams and us. I know Sutter has a much lower enrollment but they are simialr to Del Oro in that so many kids at their school play sports and they do get kids that could play for RV or Yuba. Their football team does not equally their lower enrollment, very high quality of football.

I have thought a Jamboree with Inderkum, Rio Linda, Sutter, East Nic, Natomas and Grant would bring in some good money but just my 2 cents.

Knowing the movie, someone could possibly take offense - but personally since I missed the connection, I was quite pleased by that witty transversal reference.

No worries! I know you're extremely passionate about the Sutter program and very involved with it. Just wanted to be sure ;)

I know you guys got a big tilt coming up with legendary Cardinal Newman. I'm sure the Huskies will be ready for the challenge. How you guys looking about now?
Like others the numbers are down this season. They lost a lot of offense to graduation. Have an absolute stud Jr Qb and a good o line. The defense will be the strength this season. Cardinal Newman will be tough for anyone this season but Sutter will go to Santa Rosa and give it their all.

Has there ever been a push for Sutter to leave the NS and join SJS? Just wondering with their success and their close prox to Sac and Yuba. I could see them going into the new Foothill Valley Leauge or eventually add in with the Yuba teams and us. I know Sutter has a much lower enrollment but they are simialr to Del Oro in that so many kids at their school play sports and they do get kids that could play for RV or Yuba. Their football team does not equally their lower enrollment, very high quality of football.

I've always found the HWY 65/70/99/20 corridor to be a bit puzzling.

Lindhurst has been SJS since the school's inception. Marysville and Yuba City have been SJS for at least the past 50 years and perhaps longer. Yet Wheatland, East Union and Sutter have always been NS and never crossed over.

Lincoln, Del Oro and Folsom were NS in the mid-70's then moved over for good. Delta, Rio Vista and Capital Christian have all flip flopped back and forth between the sections so I know it can be done.

For competitive reasons, I'd love to see Sutter moved over to SJS. If not the Foothill Valley, perhaps the Sierra Valley? Bear River and Colfax are formidable programs and both Lindhurst and Marysville reside there creating local rivalries. Then there's always the chance to meet River Valley or YC in the postseason.

I just think Sutter has outgrown the Butte View (for football anyway) and the playoff pool (if they have continued success) would be much more competitive in the SJS than it could ever get in NS.

Imagine them running into Central Catholic, Oakdale, Capital Christian, Del Campo, or Placer in D3 or D4 -- however it could play out. That would be FUN!

SJS D3 would be a stretch for Sutter, they only have about 700 students. Sutter would fit well in SJS D4 or maybe even better in D5 in the PVL.

There is always talk of teams from the NS making the jump to the SJS but never teams from the SJS jumping to the NS. I would love to see a lot of the foothills teams like BR, Colfax, NU and the Yuba City and Lincoln teams in the NS.

Sutter is 700 with 400 (guess) student athletes lol. most schools that have 2,000 plus enrollment would beg to have that many different students playing sports. Sutter probably should go D3 in SJS but I could see a D4 league as well.
Before the Natomas new home building got back up and running I could have seen: Inderkum, Natomas, Yuba, RV, Woodland, Pioneer and Sutter but those days are gone.
I think Sutter would fit in very well in SJS, same with East Nic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT