ADVERTISEMENT

Open Round 1

Is anyone brave enough to pick either Clovis North or Modesto Christian Saturday?
Clovis North vs Riordan will be like the Lakers vs Warriors last year. North are too little to win the series but might win a game.

Salesian vs Modesto Christian will be like Baylor vs Gonzaga title game. Salesian with elite defense and big time shot-making will slow down the dynamic offense of MC

Ive heard less complaining this year on it. I'm sure there is disappoinment with being done early but After 10+ years of it, I think the dividing line between Open and the rest has become a badge of honor.

And what I was referring to more was the fan experience. It is a pretty true seeding and the atomspheres are great
I don’t think anyone has too much of a problem with the open or even d1 After d1 is where it gets dicey and NorCal and state title games are just not very good in general.

I don’t think anyone has too much of a problem with the open or even d1 After d1 is where it gets dicey and NorCal and state title games are just not very good in general.
You hit the nail on the head Vuk. Does a D1 size school even hang a D5 championship banner and when they do they leave out the D5 part.....

Reactions: ayalar09
define POTENTIAL... while alec is a good player and has dominated versus the EBAL..... he is NOWHERE near a 1st round nba in 2026.

amazing that you spent the last couple of years around prolific and seen NBA talent and think alec is on par... AJ is the projected top pick and blair doesnt even have the same bag as him. But i guess the word potential is used loosely here... technically we all are potential.

however, you are correct about clovis north and their lack of height.... they better get all the grit they can, cuz nobody is stopping that R train
Don't see this kid in there. He is supposed to be projected as R1

View: https://youtu.be/2B7lWWHq874

You hit the nail on the head Vuk. Does a D1 size school even hang a D5 championship banner and when they do they leave out the D5 part.....
It’s an embarrassing system. Last year Lynwood of LA with 2300 students plays I forget who from up here who like 500. That’s not competitive equity that’s just a joke.

Yup, Open has been terrific. Absolutely fantastic. D1 has largely been solid. Some crappy seedings along the way for teams that win D4 or D3 and got pulled up. After that a complete sh*t show.

As for Open Semi's.....

Clovis North plays as lot bigger than there size. Its not like the amundson brothers are getting swatted left and right. They get to the paint and create havoc. You have to guard them out to 24 feet. Branson had tons of looks around the hoops and the athletic forwards for CN contested and altered a ton of shots. I'm not sleeping on Clovis North. They will be better prepared, in better shape, and be ready to roll. Riordan has better individual players no doubt.

Been on the Salesian wagon all year. They are a bunch of 6"4-6"5 houston cougar type players who get after you. Defensively fabulous. Can they get that monkey off back this year?

I do think both games will be very close. Maybe not last second shots like the games before.

Luke Babbitt. Other than being white and lefty they aren’t very similar. Babbitt was 6-9 and post oriented and Blair has played the point and is 6-6.
That’s it. Thank you. I recall Luke bringing the ball up and starting the offense. Kid was solid. And not comparing quality by any means. But the way Blair drives to the hoop with the ball reminded me of Luke. Wasn’t saying he has Luke potential. Anyways getting old sucks. Memory takes time to get to me. Just glad to be healthy and back at it.

Is anyone brave enough to pick either Clovis North or Modesto Christian Saturday?
I don’t think Clovis has a chance. I saw them play at the crush. They were good, but based on the margin of victory Riordan has won by combined with the showing of the WCAL so far, I can see this being a blowout. Anything can happen but it would be a huge upset in my book. Guess I will see in person. Only seen Riordan once this year live so look forward to the game.

As for Salesian I think it will be a good game. But they are very fast. I don’t think it will be a 10 point plus victory but I do think they will control the game.

Salesian versus Riordan, right now leaning a tad towards Riordan based on what they did in the WCAL and although I think Mellis is fantastic, and if we keep it real and I am sure a #response will come my way, D1 players coming off the bench versus a one guy ironically going to be coached by #’s son, what guy in Vegas would take anyone except Riordan. And if Salesian was to pull it out, wow can’t wait for the #’s

As I said before, I don’t see how a team with that many guys could lose, and I think Coach expects to win. I sure hope he would. Cause I know the guy on the other side expects to win as well. And the other side has beaten some serious teams this year. To me it will be one of the most hyped games ever. I know it will be 10 minutes from my house, but it should be at Golden 1. If the SJS can have games there, why would an open NorCal final be at the host team. That’s stupid in my opinion. If Riordan wins and makes the state final they may crack the maxpreps Top 25, although they do have some unfortunate losses

It’s an embarrassing system. Last year Lynwood of LA with 2300 students plays I forget who from up here who like 500. That’s not competitive equity that’s just a joke.
They beat Sierra (Tollhouse CA pop 2,000) with 378 student total enrollment grades 9-12. Competitive equity my a$$!

(This may have been discussed when the brackets came out, so apologies if so)

Seems weird to me to see SJ and CN sent to opposite sides of the Open Brackets. Before this year, have two teams who faced off in their section playoffs ever been split and sent to opposite (NorCal and SoCal) state brackets? And if so, were they in the same division where they could actually meet up and face one another for a State Title? Just seems dumb to me.

I know its happened in football where teams from the Central Section have been split into either the North or South brackets, but in those examples, there is never chance for those teams to meet again for a state title.

Few years back all central used to go south . Then they began splitting it. I can’t remember the year but first time it was almost a punishment as winners went south and runner ups went north.
2017 was first year with split central section.
D1 champ Central to south D1 16 seed
D1 runner up Bakersfield South D2 10
D2 champ Ridgeview South D1 12
D2 runner up SJM NORTH D2 5
D3 champ Selma South D3 6
D3 runner up Sanger NORTH D3 10
D3 semi finalist went south
D1&2 semi finalist went home

Reactions: mrbig864
(This may have been discussed when the brackets came out, so apologies if so)

Seems weird to me to see SJ and CN sent to opposite sides of the Open Brackets. Before this year, have two teams who faced off in their section playoffs ever been split and sent to opposite (NorCal and SoCal) state brackets? And if so, were they in the same division where they could actually meet up and face one another for a State Title? Just seems dumb to me.

I know its happened in football where teams from the Central Section have been split into either the North or South brackets, but in those examples, there is never chance for those teams to meet again for a state title.
Very unlikely to happen but we haven't had a section final rematch for a state title!

Luke Babbitt... He was a rookie with the Trailblazers during the time I lived there... I went to their free "fanfest" scrimmage that year. I remember other Blazers trying to teach Luke how to do the "Dougie" dance just before the game...

It wasn't pretty. :)
Luke Babbitt is now the head coach at Bishop Manogue High School in Reno.

Reactions: HSWIZARD73
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT