ADVERTISEMENT

Take that, Pinewood, Miramonte

mkbgdns

Hall of Famer
Jul 4, 2001
last night the Houston Rockets attempted 70 3's against Brooklyn. something to shoot for.

The NBA hasn't been a beautiful for a long time...
ain't that the truth. But when the playoffs roll around and teams are forced to execute on both ends and even run some sets, it can be a lot of fun to watch those athletes. An entire game in oct-mar.. thats a different story, I'll pass and go to a high school game in a heartbeat

I love the NBA, though I don't care for Houston's style of play. Still, given the team's success, it seems to be the best way to win -- until someone figures out how to counter it.

If shooting 55 threes a game gives my high school team the best chance to win, then I would be cheating my team to not do so.

And you know, I never thought banging to the ball to the block so some big kid who could barely run down the court could push some little kids out of the way, miss a close-in shot, rebound the miss and then score, was all that beautiful.

If shooting 55 threes a game gives my high school team the best chance to win, then I would be cheating my team to not do so.

And you know, I never thought banging to the ball to the block so some big kid who could barely run down the court could push some little kids out of the way, miss a close-in shot, rebound the miss and then score, was all that beautiful
Obviously from a coaching standpoint you have to play to your strengths and that of the team. Very different from a fan's point of view. Do what you have to in order to win games.

In regards to your other statement.. obviously that does not sound like great basketball. That was not intended to be applied to high school basketball only. However a quality post entry pass or a high low pass and a bucket is nice. A rim run by a big. A quality pick and roll run perfectly. All beautiful at any level in my mind. Certainly not the only beautiful aspects of the game, but part of it for me. I could easily paint a picture of sloppy dribble drive for airball 3's and step backs that has no business being in someone's repertoire, but that wasn't my point.

Recruit the best kids in the WCAL and then just run and jump. The blueprint has been established.

LOL that is semi-true. It seems to me that the blueprint is get athletes and try to 2-2-1 press the entire game...Do we even see anything other that that press anymore?

It all goes in cycles ... there was a time when everyone ran a 1-2-1-1 press, and Flex was the favored offense. Now it's the 2-2-1 and dribble-drive-motion.

And to another point, the pick and roll sets up three-pointers because if help comes on the roller, someone is open on the wing. If you don't have three-point shooters, it becomes much easier to control the pick-and-roll with weakside help.

Then again, if my five are better than your five, it doesn't matter what I run ...

Reactions: Paytc
It all goes in cycles ... there was a time when everyone ran a 1-2-1-1 press, and Flex was the favored offense. Now it's the 2-2-1 and dribble-drive-motion.

And to another point, the pick and roll sets up three-pointers because if help comes on the roller, someone is open on the wing. If you don't have three-point shooters, it becomes much easier to control the pick-and-roll with weakside help.

Then again, if my five are better than your five, it doesn't matter what I run ...

Clay,

As always I agree with most of what you are saying. But Hanna Jump's freshman season when Pinewood upset SMS IMO it wasn't even close who had the better players and deeper team. Yet what offense, defense, and adjustments were made actually determined the outcome of the game far more so than who had the better, more experienced, and deeper team.

I always like to say, "everything matters, but...... "coaching really matters." Everything and everyone else is subject to coaching decisions". That is why it's awesome to have one of the better coaches IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: KKRoss
Clay,

As always I agree with most of what you are saying. But Hanna Jump's freshman season when Pinewood upset SMS IMO it wasn't even close who had the better players and deeper team. Yet what offense, defense, and adjustments were made actually determined the outcome of the game far more so than who had the better, more experienced, and deeper team.

I always like to say, everything matters, but...... "coaching really matters." Everything and everyone else is subject to coaching decisions. That is why it's awesome to have one of the better coaches IMO.
If i recall SMS had a player that could not shoot and PW left her open and of course hit like 20 threes which never hurts when pulling off an upset.

If i recall SMS had a player that could not shoot and PW left her open and of course hit like 20 threes which never hurts when pulling off an upset.

Even if that was a determining factor, ( which I don't think it was) what did that have to do with the defense? Or how did that stop a game plan based around getting the ball in one of the other 4 players hands for a shot? SMS has a very good coach. So does Pinewood. One coach had a better game plan and made better adjustments IMO.

"coaching really matters."

Reactions: colhenrylives
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT