ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Stark hired as Foothill (Sac) HS Coach

SearsPoints

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
Joe Davidson reporting that Terry Stark has been hired as Foothill (Sac) HS coach after resentely stepping down at Inderkum HS

Couldn’t tell from Joe’s tweet but is he going to be the HC or an assistant? Also has AD duties, according to Joe

Couldn’t tell from Joe’s tweet but is he going to be the HC or an assistant? Also has AD duties, according to Joe
If he is HC as well as AD for the district I don't know how that allows him more time to help his son.

Financially it really helps, and Natomas unified is in the process of offering a Golden Handshake incentive. This means you get 80 percent of your current salary in a one lump sum to retire from the district. It is very difficult to pass up. I don't know exact numbers, but from what I gather he would be making more than most principals in all of Sacramento.

If he is HC as well as AD for the district I don't know how that allows him more time to help his son.

Exactly. Color me very confused.

The reason cited for stepping down was a family issue. But just a few weeks later he takes a different job?

WTF is going on over at Inderkum? Seems like he was either forced out or Terry wanted to leave over some difference of opinion or situation he didn’t like. Otherwise it makes no sense to take another gig.

@mistark Anything info you can offer?

He wasn't forced out. Read post above. If you get around 50 thousand dollar raise and 80 percent of your current salary in a one lump sum would you leave your current job?? Basically next year you make 130000 more.

Reactions: Kickingtee18
From what I understand, someone who isn’t “retiring” wouldn’t get a district retirement incentive. Either way I wish Coach Stark the best of luck at Foothill, and Coach Taylor the same at Inderkum for that matter.

Reactions: ThunderRam
He isnt retiring from STRS. He is retiring from the district. I could post the entire offer from the district but that would be too long. Basically it says have to work in district for 5 years. You need to be 55 or older. There are over 150 people who qualify etc.. It doesn't say anywhere you cannot take another job. Yep good luck to both coaches. They will both be in good shape.

Last edited:
Rough Estimate

$60,000 lump some
$60,000 annual salary being retired from INd
$80,000+annual salary at Foothill

So he will make roughly $140,000-$150,000 annually and receive the $60,000 lump sum

Nobody would pass this up!

Natomas unified currently tops out at 97;800. He got 80 percent of this for retirement incentive. His twin rivers district AD job and HC is paying him in mid 100000 range. Natomas unified wont be paying him anymore after the one lump sum. So next year more like 230,000 range with the two combined. Then after that the other salary. Once he officially retires his education state retirement system retirement will be based on his top overall salary which will be in the mid 100000. You cant beat it correct.

He wasn't forced out. Read post above. If you get around 50 thousand dollar raise and 80 percent of your current salary in a one lump sum would you leave your current job?? Basically next year you make 130000 more.

Eh, when someone says they are leaving to take care of family that’s what I expect is happening.

Otherwise just say it’s in your best interest financially to go elsewhere and that you prefer the opportunity more.

But Joe Davidson’s article paints the picture as if this financial opportunity came about after he’d already made the decision and Inderkum had moved on.

Hence why I was confused. Because raise or no raise if the reason you leave a job is due to needing to spend time taking care of a sick or injured family member, I wouldn’t typically expect the situation to change.

But what do I know.

Nobody would pass this up!

Under normal circumstances, most wouldn’t. Although I’d argue that some might. Bob Ladouceur immediately comes to mind, who was offered numerous higher paying opportunities. But I digress.

This didn’t appear to be ‘normal circumstances’ when first reported. Running a HS program takes up a lot of time and effort. We all know this because coaches resign or retire all the time due to the stress and time commitment.

Since Coach Stark said he was leaving to tend to family, for at least a season, it just seemed odd that he would accept a new gig weeks later.

Hence why I wondered if there was something more to all this. An issue with admin at Indy or something like that. Just seemed like an odd change of direction considering the reason given for stepping down.

That’s all.

If it’s about $$$ I have no issue with it. He has a right to work where he wants to work. But that’s not how it was positioned when he stepped down.

Good move for all three coaches. Coach S got the best deal obviously with the cash out option. Im sure his son had a major role in it but I'd guess the money opportunity was too nice too pass. He did like most people would do when you move on, keep it politically correct. He was/is well loved by the current/past Indy players/families. It was probably easier for him to communicate to them that he was jumping ship for family reasons instead of leaving them for the almighty dollar. Nothing wrong with either but in the article he did mention the financial package first so I'll lean to that as his biggest motivator.

Pacer80
That comment seemed to be overlooked thus far but I caught it. Great point!! But unfortunately you already know the answer to that statement based on how things just played out.

Per Tweet from Joe Davidson:

Terry Stark has stepped down at Foothill HS.

He will remain a teacher at Inderkum HS, but no coaching.

This has been a crazy story.

Story takes another turn. Current landscape of the world could have played a role

Sad to see. From what I have seen that school has been a mess of hiring's. Issue after issue.
Looked like they got the right guy and things would turn around. No doubt the school gets talent but the coaching pool there has been very poor since it's long time HC stepped down.....forced out as I heard it....hopefully they get the right guys and the Mustangs rise from the ashes...

Joe D also tweeted that the district AD position he was hired for had been cut due to budget constraints. Makes more sense now.

Joe D also tweeted that the district AD position he was hired for had been cut due to budget constraints. Makes more sense now.

That detail helps make more sense of this. Budget issues kind of started this at Capital Christian too.

Education is going to be a stressful mess for the foreseeable future. With the real possibility of there being no Fall sports and the lack of employment protections for un-tenured teachers during the upcoming budget crisis, sticking with the security of his current employment only makes sense.

Reactions: lessgo
I don't believe the job was opened to TR employees before it was awarded....This created a major issue....in todays litigious world things have to be done correctly...

Reactions: Sacchiefs
Getting a tenured coach to take a new football/teaching job is going to take a very sweet deal. They pitched this job to a few coaches and unfortunately did not have their ducks in a row, and lost the position as a bargaining chip at the recent board meeting. Sad for the school.

Reactions: WWHS44
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT