ADVERTISEMENT

Top NorCal teams 19-20 Season. Who you got ?

AtomicDawg1911

Superstar
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2019
No particular order just a list of teams.

1. Mitty
2. SMS
3. O’Dowd
4. Antelope
5. Heritage
6. Salesian
7. Miramonte
8. McClatchy
9. Cardinal Newman
10. St. Pats
11. SRV
12. St. Joes
13. Oakland Tech
14. Cal HS
15. West Campus
16. Carondelet
17. Pinewood

Sacred Heart Cathedral is always competitive -- don't want to count them out. And I think Acalanes, returning all five starters plus a transfer plus a good freshman, needs to be considered.

Reactions: Coach_Case
How about Menlo, SHP, ESCP, SI, Pres, VC, SF 7 teams from the top 2 leagues in CCS?
Aptos with 2 D1 kids?
Lynbrook with 2 transfers?
Aragon?
Sequoia?

Oakland high don't even get a sniff of being in the convo?

Why would Oakland, Lynbrook, Arragon or Sequoia even get a sniff? I can see Menlo as they return a lot of players. I'd take Cal High out of that top 20. They're always good on paper but seem to always underachieve come February.

1. Mitty
2. SJND
3. SMS
4. Antelope
5. O'Dowd
6. Salesian
7. Miramonte
8. Heritage
9. Pinewood
10. C-Let

Reactions: basketba11
1. Mitty
2. SJND
3. SMS
4. Antelope
5. O'Dowd
6. Salesian
7. Miramonte
8. Heritage
9. Pinewood
10. C-Let

Substitute Cardinal Newman in for C let and bump Pinewood up and your list is perfect. These are the 10 best teams.

Substitute Cardinal Newman in for C let and bump Pinewood up and your list is perfect. These are the 10 best teams.
you're probably right. This was off the top of my head without too much deliberation.

It is always fun to do pre-season rankings! This year is another very interesting season, as every one of the top teams lost very big contributors from last year. This year's 2020 class doesn't seem to have the same dominating seniors as the 2019 class, so the top teams will be much more reliant on team balance. I haven't seen any schedules out yet, so I'm hoping many of the top teams are scheduling each other again this year. Here are my top teams for 2019-2020:
1. St Mary's Stockton-last year's struggles were due to injuries and a young roster. They finished out the year strong though and those struggles last year will make this year's group much more experienced. They are balanced with tons of talent.
2. Mitty-have them at #2 because of Hunter being out. They depended so much on Haley Jones last year, that the others will need to step up big time this year. Cant wait to see who emerges as their team leaders early on, as they definitively have the talent and coaching to succeed again.
3. Miramonte-think they have most of their starters back. Their system will frustrate a lot of teams again, great shooters and great defensive pressure.
4. SJND-not sure if Niilson will be back, but hopefully so. With the Mastora and Lepolo sisters, this group will be fun to watch.
5. Pinewood-lost some very important seniors, but I don't want to count this team out year. Doc only knows 1 way, and that is extreme effort and they play so smart. Decker and Thompson very good guards that will lead the way.
6. Antelope-all about Jzaniya Harriel! Pretty much unstoppable, and they have a great supporting cast around her that will be very difficult to slow down.
7. BOD-loss of starting back court will be difficult to replace, but the rest of the team is returning. With good coaching and super freshman from last year Bonner, they will be in the mix come playoff time like always.
8-12 is pretty much toss up, teams to be mentioned are:
Salesian-lost tons of seniors but still have Daylee Dunn
Cardinal Newman-returning all players except for Cargill big loss, but all you have to say is Anya Choice. She will have incredible senior season.
Heritage-big loss with Sweeney, but still has Muse and this team always plays hard and together.
McClatchy-lost their 2 senior studs, but still have tons of talent in the wings. Will be more win by committee this season without Hall and Lowry.
SPSV-all about Sadler this season, will be all Bay Area player.
Carondelet-lost most of their major contributing seniors, so could be tough to match last year's success.

boy...where to start..

1st of all Pinewood is NOT a top10 team. They are no where near as good as they have been in the past. I watched CN dismantle them this summer and CN was missing 2 starters including Choice. PW cant shoot like they used to and are really small. NOPE not top 10 and Im not even sure they are a CCS OPEN finalist this year.

2nd...the biggest FREAK team is SMS....long, athletic, tall...look like a WNBA team. BUT how the hell did they lose to multiple teams last year by 20+ points???? So they look great in warmups...lets see how they do on the court. BUT THEY ARE DEFINITELY IN THE TOP 5 TO START.

3rd... the #1 seed in the OPEN will be the winner of the NCS OPEN. 3 big wins against quality opponents leading into norcals will secure the seed.

4th... there is no way MITTY is the pre season favorite. How do you figure??? They graduate Jones and lose their top returning player to a knee injury before the season. Mitty not in the Top 4.

the TOP 4 teams (in no particular order) are:

SMS
MM
SJND
CN

and those will be your top 4 seeds in the NORCAL OPEN

as long as there are no injuries.... you can lock in those 4 as your top seeds

(assuming there are 8 in OPEN) 4 teams from:
O'Dowd, Heritage, Antelope, Salesian , Mitty and the second place team from the CCS will round out the OPEN.

Heritage adds a transfer point guard from SHC and Abby Muse's younger sister, who's just as tall and might be better.

Mitty, without Hernandez, was still very strong during the summer. There's size, depth, coaching and talent ... from my perspective, they're the preseason favorite, but not by much.

Yea, its been a while since you've seen Mitty play guru... they have more D1 talent than you think.. They may not be numero uno, but top 4 for sure. And like I said on another thread, they could spoil your top seed ncs winner theory because they play a handful of top ncs teams head to head.

"1st of all Pinewood is NOT a top10 team. They are no where near as good as they have been in the past. I watched CN dismantle them this summer and CN was missing 2 starters including Choice. PW cant shoot like they used to and are really small. NOPE not top 10 and Im not even sure they are a CCS OPEN finalist this year."​

Agree they are not as good or as deep as they have been, but they are better than you think. Not sure who was or wasn't there when you saw them this summer. Una Jovanovic, returning from knee injury, is a real impact player. And don't sleep on 6'2" transfer from Santa Clara, Maia Garcia, who runs the floor like a gazelle and is a big time high jumper. I would be very surprised if there are 10 better teams come year end.

Reactions: BayTongan650
Agree they are not as good or as deep as they have been, but they are better than you think. Not sure who was or wasn't there when you saw them this summer. Una Jovanovic, returning from knee injury, is a real impact player. And don't sleep on 6'2" transfer from Santa Clara, Maia Garcia, who runs the floor like a gazelle and is a big time high jumper. I would be very surprised if there are 10 better teams come year end.
And being better coached than most teams goes a long way...

The only way to bump 'wood up is if they get their PG back from ACL before CCS at full speed. Until then they may not even be top 20.

The only way to bump 'wood up is if they get their PG back from ACL before CCS at full speed. Until then they may not even be top 20.
She tore it early last season right? Is she not expected to be back by the start of this season? Typical return time from ACL seems to be 6-8 months

"1st of all Pinewood is NOT a top10 team. They are no where near as good as they have been in the past. I watched CN dismantle them this summer and CN was missing 2 starters including Choice. PW cant shoot like they used to and are really small. NOPE not top 10 and Im not even sure they are a CCS OPEN finalist this year."​

Steve Kerr just said it takes a year to come back from an ACL tear for a NBA player, I would be shocked if Una plays before January. I believe she hurt herself in late December. She's easily their best player. But not a top 10 team. Could maybe sneak into CCS open because CCS is just not as strong as it was in years past.

Steve Kerr just said it takes a year to come back from an ACL tear for a NBA player, I would be shocked if Una plays before January. I believe she hurt herself in late December. She's easily their best player. But not a top 10 team. Could maybe sneak into CCS open because CCS is just not as strong as it was in years past.
She's a young woman... not a full grown man.. increases success rate and decreases healing time typically

Reactions: Coach_Case
Wow. Looks pinewood is going to surprise people this year. If you don't think they are a CCS open team then I really can't help you.

Can you say that louder for the people in the back???
In the CCS it will still be Mitty, Pinewood and then a Grand Canyon gap until we get to the next team which is probably Menlo this year. But to think they aren't a CCS open team blows my mind LOL.

Again, if Una is out, they're in trouble They have those 2 guards and that's about it. They have some tall girls, but they aren't as skilled as the usual Pinewood players.

When the dust settles, it will become clear that, this season, the CCS private/parochials are down a tick or two from prior campaigns. That doesn't mean they're bad. They're not. But the upper echelons of the usual suspects from the Big Two (the WBAL and the WCAL) are somewhat less than what they've been.

boy...where to start..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3rd... the #1 seed in the OPEN will be the winner of the NCS OPEN. 3 big wins against quality opponents leading into norcals will secure the seed.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the strength of schedule and the number of wins against really good teams before the playoffs would mean nothing compared to 3 wins in the NCS. What you imply is that the teams in the NCS are better than any other three teams that might be on anyone else's schedule. Someone could be undefeated and win Nike but winning the NCS will trump that.

Reactions: ClayK
I think Mitty is the most likely No. 1 seed in NorCal, and SMS might be the second choice -- but there will be more injuries, sadly. I also think there will be more upsets this year, as the gap between the top teams and the next tier isn't as great as it has been. In NCS, teams like San Ramon Valley, Acalanes and Cal High won't need much luck to beat the upper echelon.

All in all, like the NBA, it's pretty wide-open at this point, which should make for a fun season.

To make it deep in the playoffs, you need superstars that can knock down the clutch shot or make the key stop. Mitty and Pinewood are great teams with great coaching, and will win > 90% of their games, but I'm not so sure they have the personnel to make it deep and win it in the clutch situation. Who has the most stars? I would base it on last year's all bay area/norcal mercury news, sac bee, chronicle non-senior list. Looks like SJND and BOD to me.

To make it deep in the playoffs, you need superstars that can knock down the clutch shot or make the key stop. Mitty and Pinewood are great teams with great coaching, and will win > 90% of their games, but I'm not so sure they have the personnel to make it deep and win it in the clutch situation. Who has the most stars? I would base it on last year's all bay area/norcal mercury news, sac bee, chronicle non-senior list. Looks like SJND and BOD to me.
Yes, we know the stars on SJND, BOD and even know who will be Pinewood's leaders this year. But the question is who will step up this year and really show out for Mitty? Without Hunter Hernandez, we need to see some huge improvement and leadership from Hiraki in my opinion. She will need to really increase her role and look to score in the double digits this season to be effective. The two 6 footers that transferred last season into Mitty will need to be focal points of the offense this year as well. I have seen Olivia Williams over the summer and she is ready to become a star. With her size and all around skill, she has high D1 potential. I haven't seen Langi enough to comment. Maybe someone with a lot more knowledge on Mitty can break down some of their upcoming stars and who might really step up this season in the limelight.

Reactions: Ekko553 and ClayK
Yes, we know the stars on SJND, BOD and even know who will be Pinewood's leaders this year. But the question is who will step up this year and really show out for Mitty? Without Hunter Hernandez, we need to see some huge improvement and leadership from Hiraki in my opinion. She will need to really increase her role and look to score in the double digits this season to be effective. The two 6 footers that transferred last season into Mitty will need to be focal points of the offense this year as well. I have seen Olivia Williams over the summer and she is ready to become a star. With her size and all around skill, she has high D1 potential. I haven't seen Langi enough to comment. Maybe someone with a lot more knowledge on Mitty can break down some of their upcoming stars and who might really step up this season in the limelight.
Langi will most likely be the focal point of the offense. She too has high D1 potential. Besides her, williams and senior Hiraki, there is a group of 4 or 5 mid D1 or D2 talent kids. Jr Katie Springs who is 6'-1"/6'-2" and the most athletic build of the bunch could be poised for a breakout season. A sophomore PG from their JV team last year (dont know how to spell her name) could possibly be a big part of the rotation as well. Throw in another returning senior guard, a couple 3/4 junior swing(wo)men, and a couple other underclassmen with next level potential and this year might be a smaller drop off than people are expecting.

For the record I said CCS Open FINALIST (as in championship game)... I never said they wouldnt make the CCS OPEN.

Dont forget who has been PW biiggest fan on NCP over the last 2 yrs......ME......

As I was one of the few OR ONLY person who had them as preseason #1 last yr.
And (as CLAY I'm sure remembers) was pretty hard on Clay on his early season Max Preps rankings on not having PW ranked higher nationally.
Just as last year I preached they were being UNDERRATED...
This year they are being OVERRATED..

I like Doc and I'm very close to the PW assistant coaches and I take no pleasure in my opinion but I'm just stating what I've witnessed.

They are no where near what they have been in the past.

Big drop off this year

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
Langi will most likely be the focal point of the offense. She too has high D1 potential. Besides her, williams and senior Hiraki, there is a group of 4 or 5 mid D1 or D2 talent kids. Jr Katie Springs who is 6'-1"/6'-2" and the most athletic build of the bunch could be poised for a breakout season. A sophomore PG from their JV team last year (dont know how to spell her name) could possibly be a big part of the rotation as well. Throw in another returning senior guard, a couple 3/4 junior swing(wo)men, and a couple other underclassmen with next level potential and this year might be a smaller drop off than people are expecting.

When we say top teams, do we mean by record or by how deep they go in sections or norcal playoffs? They'll still win 90% of their regular season games, but I don't think they will go deep in the playoffs (semi-finals/finals). You go deep with 1-2 clutch all-bay area or all-norcal *returning* players.

Thanks for the post OnBall, I love to see some actual break downs of why and who instead of just some general postings that they will or won't do well. I forgot about Katie Springs, she will definitely be in the mix this year as well. With those 3 six footers, will be interesting to see who steps up and emerges as their leader and star player moving forward.

3e4wi6.jpg

Reactions: northbaybbguru
When we say top teams, do we mean by record or by how deep they go in sections or norcal playoffs? They'll still win 90% of their regular season games, but I don't think they will go deep in the playoffs (semi-finals/finals). You go deep with 1-2 clutch all-bay area or all-norcal *returning* players.
I think at this point, we are just breaking down the top Norcal teams. I agree with Clay that the gap between the top teams and the next tier isn't as great as it has been in years past. That is what will make thi syear very interesting. You are definitely right, the teams with the best returning all-norcal players usually will give us indication of who will succeed in the upcoming season. We will see how it plays out. Would you like to post your rankings for top 5 or 10 Norcal Teams?

I don't think rankings are necessarily a prediction of who will win the last game of the season. At least not at this point. Preseason rankings generally are meaningless speculation.. look at college football/ basketball.. things look dramatically different by the time playoffs roll around. It gives us something to talk about.. that's half the fun about sports. SJND and BOD were both in my top 5. Are they your top 2 teams?

Why would Oakland, Lynbrook, Arragon or Sequoia even get a sniff? I can see Menlo as they return a lot of players. I'd take Cal High out of that top 20. They're always good on paper but seem to always underachieve come February.

“They’re always good on paper but seem to always underachieve come February.”
Please explain. Are you calling the Coach a underachiever or players in the past, or are you calling last years group of girls underachievers?

I’m just wondering because that argument makes no sense to me. This group of players stands on their own and deserves a chance to make their own history. I don’t see how history has any bearing on what they can or can’t accomplish.

I guess you aren’t watching the World Series this year or the Raptors winning the NBA championship last year.

Heritage adds a transfer point guard from SHC and Abby Muse's younger sister, who's just as tall and might be better.

Mitty, without Hernandez, was still very strong during the summer. There's size, depth, coaching and talent ... from my perspective, they're the preseason favorite, but not by much.

Don’t count Hunter out. I’ve seen some of her rehab and she’s looking good. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her back in the lineup once league play begins. Not that I want her to rush it by any means. I’m just going off of her lateral shuffling right now. She’s a hard worker.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT