ADVERTISEMENT

Top NorCal teams 19-20 Season. Who you got ?

“They’re always good on paper but seem to always underachieve come February.”
Please explain. Are you calling the Coach a underachiever or players in the past, or are you calling last years group of girls underachievers?

I’m just wondering because that argument makes no sense to me. This group of players stands on their own and deserves a chance to make their own history. I don’t see how history has any bearing on what they can or can’t accomplish.

I guess you aren’t watching the World Series this year or the Raptors winning the NBA championship last year.

Have you followed or seen Cal High play recently? The last 5-6 years since Jeff has taken over, they've been LOADED with talent (much more than 90% of the teams out there), won a lot of games and nothing to show for it. I think the best they've finished is quarterfinals of NCS and a couple first round exits.

With all those athletes (and they have had some darn good ones) they should have had a lot more to show. I don't know who's fault it is but it ALWAYS falls on the shoulders of the person in charge of the program.

Reactions: Coach_Case
Have you followed or seen Cal High play recently? The last 5-6 years since Jeff has taken over, they've been LOADED with talent (much more than 90% of the teams out there), won a lot of games and nothing to show for it. I think the best they've finished is quarterfinals of NCS and a couple first round exits.

With all those athletes (and they have had some darn good ones) they should have had a lot more to show. I don't know who's fault it is but it ALWAYS falls on the shoulders of the person in charge of the program.
Looks like SRV and Amador Valley got them the second time around.. an over time win then a 20 pt loss... and an 11 pt win then a 9 pt loss... thats 20 point swings in rematches.. one coach made adjustments and one didn't..

btw I have not seen their varsity play recently. Just looked into their schedule after the claim of having "more talent than 90% of the teams out there". Looks like they return almost everyone. Expectations should be high

Looks like SRV and Amador Valley got them the second time around.. an over time win then a 20 pt loss... and an 11 pt win then a 9 pt loss... thats 20 point swings in rematches.. one coach made adjustments and one didn't..

btw I have not seen their varsity play recently. Just looked into their schedule after the claim of having "more talent than 90% of the teams out there". Looks like they return almost everyone. Expectations should be high

Well it's just one person's opinion. The times that I saw them play last year they really don't do much offensively and they zone it up when they could be killing it with man to man pressure. To win as many games as they've had tells you they have had some talent. they've been pretty stacked (athletically) even before SRV started getting good. Like I said, I don't know who's fault it is but usually one person is the scape goat most of the time in public opinion.

Last edited:
Well it's just one person's opinion. The times that I saw them play last year they really don't do much offensively and they zone it up when they could be killing it with man to man pressure. To win as many games as they've had tells you they have had some talent. they've been pretty stacked (athletically) even before SRV started getting good. Like I said, I don't know who's fault it is but usually one person is the scape goat most of the time I'm public opinion.
Well it looks like I agree with you.. they smashed lower level talent and got smashed by the good teams.. thats telling right there if they have the talent to compete

3e4wi6.jpg

Nominee for post of the year:D

That is some good sh**!!!

Reactions: OnBall8

Loaded with talent? Name a player that we have heard of that has come out of Cal High?

Reactions: observer22
Loaded with talent? Name a player that we have heard of that has come out of Cal High?

Exactly. A couple of D2 kids over the past 5 or 6 years. Nothing like the talent that NCS powers Carondelet, Miramonte, BOD, Salesian and the likes have had. I’m not saying the coach is a world beater, but it’s a lot better than they’ve had in the past 20 years.

Exactly. A couple of D2 kids over the past 5 or 6 years. Nothing like the talent that NCS powers Carondelet, Miramonte, BOD, Salesian and the likes have had. I’m not saying the coach is a world beater, but it’s a lot better than they’ve had in the past 20 years.
I did see on the bird that they have a D1 point guard. Good for them

I have seen all of the teams. The top 3 in norcal preseason are: SMS/O'dowd/SJND.....loaded with talent..head and shoulders above preseason rankings wise
next 3 Antelope/MM and Mitty
next 3 with fairly solid drop below top 6 CN/Pinewood/Salesian
then its all the rest with no real " top 10" or " top 8" shot
Comments:Top 3 just simply waves of bodies-Talent will be hard to beat on any given night
Next 3 all well coaches-talented but holes...Antelope size/MM if teams break press well/Mitty down their two best players..big drop off
next 3 all tough/hard nosed/well coached...CN with choice and a bunch of solid role players/Pinewood lost alot but couple transfers and one back from injury/salesian just pure toughness...will grind opponents down

Everyone else not in a " top 10" conversation

Just because a player doesn't go D1, doesn't mean she isn't a good player. it's correct that they weren't at the talent level of a C-Let, BOD, SJND, SMS or Mitty, but outside of open teams they had some damn good players and all around 5;10-6'0 tall. Edmonds and Moultan (SP?) are the two that really come to mind recently but they have had some good players in that program the last 4-5 years.

Don’t count Hunter out. I’ve seen some of her rehab and she’s looking good. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her back in the lineup once league play begins. Not that I want her to rush it by any means. I’m just going off of her lateral shuffling right now. She’s a hard worker.
I think Hunter playing by January would be CRAZY!!!!!! She shredded her entire knee!! That would be a medical miracle if she does. Didn't she hurt it in early July? She tore everything in there. I hope for her sake this is true, but I'd be worried about rushing it.

I think Hunter playing by January would be CRAZY!!!!!! She shredded her entire knee!! That would be a medical miracle if she does. Didn't she hurt it in early July? She tore everything in there. I hope for her sake this is true, but I'd be worried about rushing it.
I wouldn't count on her playing in January. It would be a astounding to even be playing by late feb/ early march... basically it would be huge if we see her on the court at all..

You guys always have great thoughts and opinions that I really enjoy reading. You guys absolutely do your research as well which I appreciate.

I honestly thought it was impossible too that Hunter might be able to help her team this year until I saw a she shared in her Instagram story. It was a few weeks ago during a rehab / workout session and she was doing lateral defensive slides on artificial turf. That’s a difficult feat coming off a ACL injury. She was doing it with ease. Which makes me think that given two more months of healing and rehab she could be ready to roll. Which I hope for her. That would be pretty cool to see.

You guys always have great thoughts and opinions that I really enjoy reading. You guys absolutely do your research as well which I appreciate.

I honestly thought it was impossible too that Hunter might be able to help her team this year until I saw a she shared in her Instagram story. It was a few weeks ago during a rehab / workout session and she was doing lateral defensive slides on artificial turf. That’s a difficult feat coming off a ACL injury. She was doing it with ease. Which makes me think that given two more months of healing and rehab she could be ready to roll. Which I hope for her. That would be pretty cool to see.
I've seen the same video (or ones like it) and controlled workouts are very different than game speed running combined with unexpected cutting. From the folks I've talked to, a couple months is not in the playbook

“They’re always good on paper but seem to always underachieve come February.”
Please explain. Are you calling the Coach a underachiever or players in the past, or are you calling last years group of girls underachievers?

I’m just wondering because that argument makes no sense to me. This group of players stands on their own and deserves a chance to make their own history. I don’t see how history has any bearing on what they can or can’t accomplish.

I guess you aren’t watching the World Series this year or the Raptors winning the NBA championship last year.
the raptors were the clear better team last year and far superior defensive and rebounding team. they also had the best player on the court.
tonight was again clear of that.

Just because a player doesn't go D1, doesn't mean she isn't a good player. it's correct that they weren't at the talent level of a C-Let, BOD, SJND, SMS or Mitty, but outside of open teams they had some damn good players and all around 5;10-6'0 tall. Edmonds and Moultan (SP?) are the two that really come to mind recently but they have had some good players in that program the last 4-5 years.
I did not inquire about D1. You made it seem like they continue to underachieve. Perhaps they win games they should not win and heightened your expectations. On the same note SRV has pretty much suffered the same fate come post season. This year I think both teams will be major players come Nor Cal time.

I have seen all of the teams. The top 3 in norcal preseason are: SMS/O'dowd/SJND.....loaded with talent..head and shoulders above preseason rankings wise
next 3 Antelope/MM and Mitty
next 3 with fairly solid drop below top 6 CN/Pinewood/Salesian
then its all the rest with no real " top 10" or " top 8" shot
Comments:Top 3 just simply waves of bodies-Talent will be hard to beat on any given night
Next 3 all well coaches-talented but holes...Antelope size/MM if teams break press well/Mitty down their two best players..big drop off
next 3 all tough/hard nosed/well coached...CN with choice and a bunch of solid role players/Pinewood lost alot but couple transfers and one back from injury/salesian just pure toughness...will grind opponents down

Everyone else not in a " top 10" conversation
Solid recap. I can't wait to see the teams schedules and see what Nor Cal teams they are playing. That usually gives you an idea of what the coach is feeling. Who are they playing, what tournaments and where are they playing. The good times like the Mitty's of the world tend to go on the road and play top teams and sprinkle in some at home. Should be an open season for Nor Cal.

I did not inquire about D1. You made it seem like they continue to underachieve. Perhaps they win games they should not win and heightened your expectations. On the same note SRV has pretty much suffered the same fate come post season. This year I think both teams will be major players come Nor Cal time.

I hope so but disagree with your take that they've suffered the same fate recently. 2 years ago SRV went to norcal semi-finals and made normals this past year cal has not been to a norcal playoff in a while. A lot more "success" than the crosstown rival.

Again, both good programs and best of luck to both this year!

Why would Oakland, Lynbrook, Arragon or Sequoia even get a sniff? I can see Menlo as they return a lot of players. I'd take Cal High out of that top 20. They're always good on paper but seem to always underachieve come February.

I think it would be a mistake to overrate the talent Cal High has had over the last several years, or to underrate its varsity coaching staff. Last season was the first year in a long time (forever?) that they had enough pieces to start looking like a premier team, and they were very young. Only one senior last year and she didn't play.

That being said, it does look like all the elements are there at Cal for the coming season. But SRV also returns almost everyone, and Monte Vista should be much improved. The EBAL will be very interesting.

I have some experience in this department (2/3 teen daughters playing basketball with a total of 5 torn ACLs at both the college level and HS) and I just want to add one perspective to the conversation-for teen girls especially. A good ortho surgeon will be very conservative regarding teen girl athlete recovery because the re-injury rate is high, compared to others. The biggest factor in ACL healing (no matter how hard they work, how great they look, awesome PT, etc) is the complete re-establishment of the blood supply in the area of the surgery (where the ligament is attached-in 2 areas). Unfortunately, no matter how old you are, this takes about 9 months. After the blood supply is re-established, the they are typically cleared for non-contact play and then contact is allowed. Girls can rush it, think they feel great, appear to move well etc., but if the blood supply is not well established, the graft will tear again-it's just physiology. And unfortunately, blood supply re-establishment is not something you can test for. And-you can even wait that long, do all the right things, work super hard have an awesome recovery and still have a graft failure (because that happens more frequently in teen girls). I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer-just trying to manage enthusiastic expectations...most ortho surgeons who work with teen girl athlete ACL tears will estimate 9-12 months of recovery. But the upside of ACL tears is that they can work on shooting almost the whole time they are out-and can become great shooters. Good luck this season Coach!

I appreciate you taking the time to explain the process. That is some great knowledge to share. Injuries are complicated and shouldn’t be taken lightly. That’s why we listen to doctors. Your response communicates the commitment of care that each athletes deserves. I am saving your response so that I can reference it down the road. Thank you!

Candace Parker rushed back to play for Naperville Central as a high school senior -- and her knee has been an issue throughout her career, causing her to miss time, lose some mobility and sit out when she could have been making money.

A knee injury is a lifetime issue, and simply not worth any risk until it's healed.

Also note: The best predictor of an ACL injury is a previous ACL injury.

Candace Parker rushed back to play for Naperville Central as a high school senior -- and her knee has been an issue throughout her career, causing her to miss time, lose some mobility and sit out when she could have been making money.

A knee injury is a lifetime issue, and simply not worth any risk until it's healed.

Also note: The best predictor of an ACL injury is a previous ACL injury.

Also, the injury wasn't just acl. It was also mcl, pcl, and dislocated kneecap. From what people tell me (doesn't mean they're right), pcl is the worst because of the nerve damage.

Livingston had the same type of injury and they said it's a miracle he ever played again.

Reactions: OnBall8
boy...where to start..

1st of all Pinewood is NOT a top10 team. They are no where near as good as they have been in the past. I watched CN dismantle them this summer and CN was missing 2 starters including Choice. PW cant shoot like they used to and are really small. NOPE not top 10 and Im not even sure they are a CCS OPEN finalist this year.

2nd...the biggest FREAK team is SMS....long, athletic, tall...look like a WNBA team. BUT how the hell did they lose to multiple teams last year by 20+ points???? So they look great in warmups...lets see how they do on the court. BUT THEY ARE DEFINITELY IN THE TOP 5 TO START.

3rd... the #1 seed in the OPEN will be the winner of the NCS OPEN. 3 big wins against quality opponents leading into norcals will secure the seed.

4th... there is no way MITTY is the pre season favorite. How do you figure??? They graduate Jones and lose their top returning player to a knee injury before the season. Mitty not in the Top 4.

the TOP 4 teams (in no particular order) are:

SMS
MM
SJND
CN

and those will be your top 4 seeds in the NORCAL OPEN

as long as there are no injuries.... you can lock in those 4 as your top seeds

(assuming there are 8 in OPEN) 4 teams from:
O'Dowd, Heritage, Antelope, Salesian , Mitty and the second place team from the CCS will round out the OPEN.
Mitty is going to be the favorite. Don't count out the squad plus they have the biggest sleeper Langi.
In the CCS it will still be Mitty, Pinewood and then a Grand Canyon gap until we get to the next team which is probably Menlo this year. But to think they aren't a CCS open team blows my mind LOL.

Mitty plays Menlo this Dec 11. they are gonna get wrecked no doubt.

When we say top teams, do we mean by record or by how deep they go in sections or norcal playoffs? They'll still win 90% of their regular season games, but I don't think they will go deep in the playoffs (semi-finals/finals). You go deep with 1-2 clutch all-bay area or all-norcal *returning* players.

we will see

Yes, we know the stars on SJND, BOD and even know who will be Pinewood's leaders this year. But the question is who will step up this year and really show out for Mitty? Without Hunter Hernandez, we need to see some huge improvement and leadership from Hiraki in my opinion. She will need to really increase her role and look to score in the double digits this season to be effective. The two 6 footers that transferred last season into Mitty will need to be focal points of the offense this year as well. I have seen Olivia Williams over the summer and she is ready to become a star. With her size and all around skill, she has high D1 potential. I haven't seen Langi enough to comment. Maybe someone with a lot more knowledge on Mitty can break down some of their upcoming stars and who might really step up this season in the limelight.

Langi playing half of the games last year still made 2nd team WCAL. If you google her she has some highlight videos from this summer and events.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT