ADVERTISEMENT

Tournament Notes

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
This isn't a complete list, but here are some quick notes from this weekend

Dublin won its first Gridley Invitational Basketball tournament title with a 66-61 win over Salesian in the finals. Senior Anthony Roy was the tournament MVP. The unsigned senior averaged 20 points per game. Riordan beat Campolindo 76-62 in the third place game behind 44 points from senior Bryce Monroe, who averaged 25 points per game during the tournament.

Mitty finished off its Father Barry tournament run with a 64-52 win over Brophy Prep-Arizona, which beat Jesuit in the semi-finals on Friday. The Monarchs beat Cathedral Catholic 57-56 in the semi-finals with a game winning three pointer from junior Michael Mitchell.

De La Salle moved to 5-0 after beating Bishop Walsh-Maryland 65-58 in the finals of its Chris Vontoure Spartan Classic. The Spartans have scored at least 60 points in each game and have gotten strong play from sophomore Chris Bunch.

In a surprise, Gregori stayed undefeated with four wins in the Mark Gallo Invitational at Central Catholic. In the finals, the Jaguars beat Vanden 68-62. Gregori has four players averaging double figures with senior Julian Brown being named MVP.

Dougherty Valley was victorious at the Palma tournament with wins over Soquel (64-34), St. Francis-Mountain View (71-47) and Palma (57-47). Senior Robby Beasley was tournament MVP.

Rocklin won the Mel Good at Yuba City High School with senior Handre Reinecke being named MVP. The Thunder beat Kennedy (Sacramento) in the finals.

I’ll add one.

Menlo won the Burlingame Lions tournament over the hosts Burlingame, 38-36.

I know Kaestner has a lacrosse scholarship, but Menlo plays the exact same type of game as Virgina Basketball does. I would not be surprised if Tony Bennett tried to convince him to give him a couple of minutes of the bench. Well see.

Burlingame High is a sleeper this year btw. Was very impressed with how they played in this Tourney.

Another... big night a newman.
State Football champs and hoop team without 4 players won Rose City over SR. Newman and Piner should have some battles.

Granada won the Mark Madsen tourney at San Ramon Valley HS by defeating the host Wolves in the final.

Lincoln of SF beat College Park and won the Stonebarger tourney played at Liberty HS in Brentwood.

Last edited:
Who are the Bellermine Bells playing? Sisters of the poor or Rec League teams?

Every coach has there own philosophy regarding scheduling, I guess. Some want to jump in the fire. Others want to coast in the preseason...The Bells should get tested once they go to Tory Pines in San Diego after Christmas. But again it depends on bracket they are in, in that tournament....

Bellarmine is a very good team who strength of non league schedule is horrible.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
...The Bells should get tested once they go to Tory Pines in San Diego after Christmas. But again it depends on bracket they are in, in that tournament....

The Bells are in the 2nd-highest bracket. "The American Division"

:

I don't know many of these teams, will have a peep at MaxPreps when I get home later. Offhand, however, I'd say the Bells are a pretty high seed...

That's probaly not possible as o'dowd
campo, salesian also in the mix I would think the 2 that make the EBAL Championship game would make it for sure.

So who would the 6th NCS open team be if it's campo, salesian, o dowd and 2 ebal teams? That's 5

There would still be 2 league champs to consider from MVAL and BVAL as well as possibly st pats depending on who wins there league them or salesian.

Got back home and took a very brief look at the MaxPreps records of the teams in this bracket (Bellarmine's).

Notre Dame Sherman Oaks is (12-1), some decent size to 'em. They have a freshman scoring 14 ppg and a sophomore scoring 22 ppg. The team has gotten triple digits six times and they've beaten some solid opponents.

Clovis North is 10-0 and has wins over Modesto Christian and Clovis West on their resume'.

Both of these are on the other side of the bracket from Bellarmine. Bells vs. either of these two would make an excellent Final.

Otherwise, the bracket is not awe-inspiring, tho certainly not awful... I would say that most if not all of these teams are likely a good bit better than what the Bells have seen thus far, but except for Clovis North and ND Sherman Oaks, not so good that they should be real tough for the Bells to beat.

Also in that bracket, San Ysidro could be interesting... They are 8-3 vs. not exactly a death-march of a schedule, but the interesting part is freshman Mikey Williams. He's a 6'3 guard averaging 34.4 ppg right now, and had a 77-point game awhile back. Freshmen who can do in-game windmill slams don't grow on trees :)

Reactions: ayalar09
@kiddman32 i thought they were a threat too, but then I saw the transfer bug hit them too. DJ Dudley transferred to Mayfair to play with Christopher and Johnson. Poor San Ysidro.

St Joes is a sleeper in that bracket.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT