ADVERTISEMENT

Travel Ball v. Money Ball for Youngsters (Ugh)

Why is it people complain about travel ball, better than sitting around like a mindless idiot on the computer, I phone, or watching tv learn how to compete and play hard.

If the passion is there go get it.

My main complaint would be the year-around baseball it entices. Kids should play other sports. Even HS players should take most (if not all) of the Fall off.

My secondary complaint would be too many scheisters collecting $$ from kids/families, chasing a pipe dream, drawing them away from the youth leagues and creating a cottage industry serving parents egos. Of course there are good ones out there, but there are more bad ones than good ones.

About five years ago I was getting my jamba juice on a Sunday morning about 8 AM. I noticed a kid in front of me wearing a full uniform and figured the kid to be 8 or 9 years old. When he turned around I noticed the jersey front said "La Morinda". I asked him if he was down here (in Los Gatos) to play a Los Gatos team and he said "no, I have a game in Concord at 10 AM and we have to leave right now". He told me that he had at least two games every weekend and one practice in the middle of each week (in the Lafayette area). I asked why he didn't play in Los Gatos Little League and he said "because the travel teams are really good". I smiled at the kid and told him to have fun.

Having played with and against, watched and coached countless number of kids that have played high school, college and professional baseball, I just had to shake my head in wonderment about where we had come. While I do agree that a kid should follow his/her passion, I also feel that too much, too soon is not a good recipe. Sometimes we need to let a kid be a kid, but that's just my opinion.

ATC- I've been in the industry for over 20 years, as you know, and it has become more insipid.

Sean- The best thing young players can do is get some good individual development and play anywhere locally that gets him reps through age 12. This is coming from a guy who has young teams in his program these days (why did I do that!
wink.r191677.gif
). I think you can escalate it a little when in Junior high school.

I agree a kid should stay as local for as many years as possible. The cut-off point seems to be 12 to 13/14. This is when kids go from 46/50 mound/70/80 bases to 60.6/90 bases. At this point, a lot of kids lose interest or are intimidated about baseball. Yes, there are some good local PONY programs, but there is still a significant drop off on talent-maybe each team (if lucky) has 3-4 ballplayers (v. kids who like to play baseball, but no aspiration to play high school ball).

This is where parents and their kids should look at their options to a more development type program. If the kids can still play both, great. 13-15 kids should still be able to play with their friends.

There are a hundred "travel ball" teams, but very few development programs. There is a difference.

Vibes- that's a fact re very few being developmental. I've been at it so long I'm starting to coach the kids of ex players from my program. My definition of most "travel ball" is little league on wheels. There is a lot of bad information out there and a lot of people taking advantage of families.

12U Travel Team (Development type program) 2006-7 rostered players (now 19 years old.)
Team went 32-3 at one point, winning lots of USSSA tourneys (and a bunch of cheap hardware.)
2nd at state, 3rd in Western US
Was the dominant Bay Area team in their age group that season.
College students (3)
Out of baseball/no college (2)
Minor sport, state talent, UC student (1)
D1 scholarship baseball (3)
Professional contract (Rk league @ age 17, .181)
JUCO baseball (4)
unknown (1)

The college students, all good kids and could easily play D3, but not at their UC/state schools.
One out of baseball got burnt out at 14 (Pitcher.) Would've been a recruitable HS P.
JUCO kids were recruitable. Grades mostly.
And unfortunately one used away his talent.

Half were passionate players ready to put in the work to reach the next level, a third who could've kept playing with a different college choice (passion/skill development was waning) and a third who had a lot of fun, as the parents and coaches all did. The team had a core for four years and five remained in the program's Collegiate team after high school.
More than half of these kids were also still in involved in their local LL/BR leagues AND some in other sports. A dollop of travel ball IN CONJUNCTION with reputable training (practices held every week) is not crazy overkill. This is probably the exception to most travel teams' members makeup. I firmly believe reputable training along and, in most instances, good parental guidance, gave the 8 still playing that direction. NCSF can probably confirm similar numbers with his knowledge of the "all ages development" programs. Ironically, only three of the above played multi-sports and IMHO, others could've been better baseball players had they NOT focused entirely on baseball.

Yup, you know how to do it the right way. You're one of a very few.

Very proud that both of our college-playing boys stayed with local PONY league through age 14/15. Dam*! Maybe I short-changed them somehow by holding out so long.
eek.r191677.gif
Sure, they both did a little (local) "travel ball" on the side, but nothing like today. I remember when it was 'really cool' to make your 12-year old all star team and go beat Morgan Hill or Blossom Valley!

When our older son was 13/14 and started mixing in a little travel ball with titanscoach's team (BTW, we said "no" the first time asked), he was the ONLY ONE in a league of 1,000 kids. Today, there are a dozen or more kids per age (9 and up) who have left the league to do the travel circuit.

Is this area (Los Altos/Mtn. View) producing more college players than before? NO! Probably less. Why? Most likely just the cyclical thing that happens...college level players come around every once in a while. But while these parents are off running around the Western US with their diaper-dandies, their sons are missing the chance to play with the neighborhood kids (i.e. their friends!) and chasing a pipe dream at a huge cost to the rest of their family (brothers and sisters).

Their parents would be FAR BETTER served getting their kids a math tutor.

If your kid is good enough to play for NCSF's program...or one of a couple of others - then its probably worth it. Otherwise, keep it fun and make sure your kid is ready for Algebra and Geometry.

This post was edited on 5/19 2:26 PM by atcshrk

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT