ADVERTISEMENT

U17s settle for bronze at World Championships

Players don't shoot well because (1) very few players are motivated to do the necessary work (2) an even smaller number have the hand/eye coordination to become good shooters.

You can blame the parents, coaches, and media all you want. But most players are taught correct shot mechanics by a dozen different people by the time they finish high school. And if they are unsure, there's always YouTube. My experience is that either you have the talent and the fire ... or you don't.

Good point -- I think "the fire" is the key. You have to apply that good form, in games and in practices, and live with the times the shot doesn't drop. But the emphasis on winning games instead of skill development still is an issue ... I've had good shooting teams go 1 for 23 from three in games, and if all involved don't understand the process, there will be problems.

There is also a catch 22 factor involved in respect to the lack of or success of shooters. Shooters are reliant on Pg and other on the ball players getting them the ball when they are in position and quick enough so that defenders do not have time to close. If ball handlers are geared to focus on their own shots or taking the ball to the hoop at every opportunity they will tend to miss the opportunity to pass to an open shooter. They are more apt to focus on their own opportunities and only pass as a second option when their's are closed. It should be look for an open teammate first rather than look for your own shot and only pass when your option isn't available. Cal had a difficult time getting shooters because their PG and on the ball players were not adept at hitting the open player quickly enough. That lack of success probably contributed to the lack of shooters committing for a time. It seems to me that the increasing lack of pass first PG's also would contribute to more players focusing on getting your own shot rather than working on catch and shoot.

There is also a catch 22 factor involved in respect to the lack of or success of shooters. Shooters are reliant on Pg and other on the ball players getting them the ball when they are in position and quick enough so that defenders do not have time to close. If ball handlers are geared to focus on their own shots or taking the ball to the hoop at every opportunity they will tend to miss the opportunity to pass to an open shooter. They are more apt to focus on their own opportunities and only pass as a second option when their's are closed. It should be look for an open teammate first rather than look for your own shot and only pass when your option isn't available. Cal had a difficult time getting shooters because their PG and on the ball players were not adept at hitting the open player quickly enough. That lack of success probably contributed to the lack of shooters committing for a time. It seems to me that the increasing lack of pass first PG's also would contribute to more players focusing on getting your own shot rather than working on catch and shoot.

Great point. And on USA teams that don't practice together much, that issue is exacerbated.

At a certain level, it makes sense for an elite player to believe that a bad shot for her has a better chance of going in than a good shot for one of her weaker teammates, so elite players get in the habit of shooting a lot (does the name Russell Westbrook jump to mind?). For them to break that habit, they need to develop confidence in their teammates, which takes time, and an understanding of where those teammates will be on the floor at any given moment, and where they need the ball, which takes time.

And it takes coaching ...

And it takes a couple of utterly unselfish kids with good passing skills to be on the roster. And the offense needs to be run through them, whether it's a guard, forward, center, whatever. High-post point centers like Bill Walton and Andrew Bogut are good examples of big people with point guard vision and instincts.

And it takes a couple of utterly unselfish kids with good passing skills to be on the roster. And the offense needs to be run through them, whether it's a guard, forward, center, whatever. High-post point centers like Bill Walton and Andrew Bogut are good examples of big people with point guard vision and instincts.

Vladimir divac was another example. I always thought he was more responsible than Weber for the King's success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT