ADVERTISEMENT

Upcoming State Championship Games

jimmyzr1

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2010
Are the upcoming State Championship games televised this year? I only see 2 games showing being televised on Comcast, the D1A and D2A games are the only ones I’m seeing on Comcast at this point. They’re on Comcast channel 721 but don’t see the Friday games at this point.

NBC Sports California is televising all 4 games from Cerritos College live. 1AA & 2AA on Friday, 1A & 2A on Saturday. So, whatever channel you get NBC Sports California on.

Reactions: concrete17
s5hem0.jpg

Mack vs. Garfield should be interesting. Oakland vs. LA. West Oakland vs. East LA. Mack's rosters is made up of mostly African-Americans while Garfield's is mostly Mexican (I'm Hispanic so when I say Mexican, I mean Mexican).

I'll be there. I would like to see the Orange Glen vs Lincoln (San Francisco) @12p @ CCSF but can't. I'll catch some. games on NFHS. Let's see how many championships the North can win at home...as well as away.

Garfield Bulldogs is the name of the school not yellow jackets????

Does anybody know which Comcast channel is NBC sports California Plus in the Sacramento area? I can’t seem to find the Friday games listed of the 4pm and 8pm games. The only thing I saw was Folsom showing at 1am and no Del Oro game listed!

I’m going to leave this here just to remind us all it’s just a football game

la-1544560328-6wbjiame7w-snap-image

Garfield senior linebacker Nicholas Delgadillo holds his almost 1-year-old son, Nicholas Jr., after a game. (Family photo)

When Rudy Delgadillo arrived at Garfield High School to pick up his son, Nicholas, in the spring of 2017, he sensed something was wrong.

“Why are you quiet?” he asked.

“I let you down,” Nicholas said over and over while starting to cry.

Then he told his father the truth: His girlfriend was pregnant.

Life was about to change, particularly for Nicholas, who was 16 at the time and a standout football player as well as a top student at Garfield.

“I told him he didn’t let me down,” Rudy said. “It was from God and you were blessed. Now you don’t have to [be a success] for me. You can do it for your baby.”

Nicholas Josiah Delgadillo was born on Dec. 28, 2017.

“It’s hard,” Nicholas said on his 18th birthday last week. “The lesson I learned is life isn’t easy. Once you become a father and bring another life into the world, it’s not only about you anymore. It’s the other one, and that’s your son.”

Balancing school, football and his new responsibilities, Delgadillo has made it through almost one year of daily challenges. He has maintained a 3.7 grade-point average and leads Garfield in tackles with 160 entering the Bulldogs’ final game of the season, a 6 p.m. Saturday clash against Oakland McClymonds at Laney College to decide the CIF Division 4-A state championship. He was the Eastern League defensive player of the year.

“He has navigated his way through it,’’ coach Lorenzo Hernandez said.

Delgadillo doesn’t get as much sleep as he used to, and his responsibilities include changing diapers and playing with Nicholas Jr. until he’s ready to go to bed. Nicholas Jr. and Delgadillo’s girlfriend live with him and his parents. Both mother and father are determined to maintain their grades and graduate.

“It’s been stressful,” Delgadillo said. “I’ve gotten a lot of support from family, but sometimes it’s overwhelming. You have football practice, watch film but I have my son at home. You have to change diapers. I have to feed him. It’s a big responsibility.”

Nicholas Jr. comes to his football games, and instead of looking up to his father for motivation, Delgadillo uses his son to get himself focused.

“I look at him — ‘It’s for you,’” he said. “If I want a better future for myself and family, everything has to be done correctly.”

At 5-feet-10 and 200 pounds, Delgadillo is a senior linebacker who studies game film and picks up tendencies as if he were a coach. He’s also very strong from dedication in the weight room.

“If he gets ahold of you, he’s going to physically make you feel it,” Hernandez said.

Garfield finished second to Harbor City Narbonne in the City Section Open Division playoffs, then won its regional bowl game over Delano Kennedy 42-10. The team is leaving Friday morning by bus for Oakland and will stay two nights before heading home on Sunday.

Delgadillo has a lot on his mind. He’ll take a moment to do his best for the Bulldogs, but what has happened in the last year has changed him.

“It’s nothing like the movies,” he said of seeing the birth of his son. “It’s a lot of blood, an experience you’ll never forget.

Does anybody know which Comcast channel is NBC sports California Plus in the Sacramento area? I can’t seem to find the Friday games listed of the 4pm and 8pm games. The only thing I saw was Folsom showing at 1am and no Del Oro game listed!

Not sure of Comcast. It’s 698 on DirecTV. Same channel I watch SF Giants games on. Just do a ‘search’ for HIGH SCHOOL and see what listings show up. Hopefully they have an Alternative Channel, because the Kings v Warriors game will be shown on their main channel

Mack vs. Garfield should be interesting. Oakland vs. LA. West Oakland vs. East LA. Mack's rosters is made up of mostly African-Americans while Garfield's is mostly Mexican (I'm Hispanic so when I say Mexican, I mean Mexican).
This is the best post I have seen in a while. Garfield lost 55-7 in Section Final to Narbonne and get rewarded with bowl game while Narbonne kills them but loses Regional and is bounced. I just can’t wrap my head around that.

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
This is the best post I have seen in a while. Garfield lost 55-7 in Section Final to Narbonne and get rewarded with bowl game while Narbonne kills them but loses Regional and is bounced. I just can’t wrap my head around that.

Thankfully next year we won’t have such silliness because only section winners move on

Similarly sized schools. The big difference is Narbonne was second in recruiting last season behind only Mater Dei. Half of Grace Brethren's team transferred over to Narbonne last season. Good for Garfield. They had a historical season and benefited from a broken system. Karma got Narbonne and many of their little transfers. They'll be at home picking splinters out of their asses on Saturday Night while both Garfield and Grace Brethren will be on statewide television competing for State Championships.

I'll be in Redwood City watching Menlo-Atherton and Lincoln (go Bears) but will be watching this game on my iPad. I grew up in San Francisco but went to Laney College. I love Oakland and the people. San Francisco is so gentrified now a days that I actually feel more at home in Oakland. At the same time my parents came here from Central America and could have very well ended up in Los Angeles (I thank the Lord every morning that my Father didn't settle in Dodgers Country; that would just be hell). Football is an American sport but is a true test of will, sacrifice, heart and dedication. People in Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua are among the hardest working most resilient people on earth. McClymonds will be faster, more athletic, more experienced and probably better coached. But I promise you Garfield will show as much heart as anyone. That's our culture.

My issue is again...why is Garfield of 2,500+ student playing little McClymonds of 280?

Last thing...Go Mack!

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
Similarly sized schools. The big difference is Narbonne was second in recruiting last season behind only Mater Dei. Half of Grace Brethren's team transferred over to Narbonne last season. Good for Garfield. They had a historical season and benefited from a broken system. Karma got Narbonne and many of their little transfers. They'll be at home picking splinters out of their asses on Saturday Night while both Garfield and Grace Brethren will be on statewide television competing for State Championships.

I'll be in Redwood City watching Menlo-Atherton and Lincoln (go Bears) but will be watching this game on my iPad. I grew up in San Francisco but went to Laney College. I love Oakland and the people. San Francisco is so gentrified now a days that I actually feel more at home in Oakland. At the same time my parents came here from Central America and could have very well ended up in Los Angeles (I thank the Lord every morning that my Father didn't settle in Dodgers Country; that would just be hell). Football is an American sport but is a true test of will, sacrifice, heart and dedication. People in Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua are among the hardest working most resilient people on earth. McClymonds will be faster, more athletic, more experienced and probably better coached. But I promise you Garfield will show as much heart as anyone. That's our culture.

My issue is again...why is Garfield of 2,500+ student playing little McClymonds of 280?

Last thing...Go Mack!

I don’t know about better coaches

Reactions: aztecpadre

Last thing...Go Mack!
Did you go to high school in the the City?

No different that scout cards.
Was this the same software that SLV was using in collaboration with the Team Helmet Mics/Dashboard Cams/Go Pros? Someone even mentioned the defense was equipped with Heat sensing technology to detect if Offensive Lineman had weight on there front hand or not. I wish they didn’t get caught, would of like to see them match wits with one of those Southern schools with state caliber Robotic Program to counter SLV tactics.

Last edited:
Was this the same software that SLV was using in collaboration with the Team Helmet Mics/Dashboard Cams/Go Pros? Someone even mentioned the defense was equipped with Heat sensing technology to detect if Offensive Lineman had weight on there front hand or not. I wish they didn’t get caught, would of like to see them match wits with one of those Southern schools with state caliber Robotic teams.

Alright man, I'm really starting to get curious about SLV. What the **** exactly where they using? You guys make it sound like these guys had rockets up their asses!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT