ADVERTISEMENT

USF coach Kyle Smith appears headed to Wazoo...

TurtleLoveCA

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2015
He could be replaced by popular USF assistant coach Todd Golden. Nothing official on either side of equation.

The USF job is a revolving door. It's a steady parade of guys looking for bigger and better things. Or they are simply incompetent and get fired. Nothing will change with the next mentor. He will be long-gone within three or four years, if not sooner. USF alums who recall the school's glory days (the last bout of excellence, though severely tainted by NCAA violations, occurred 40 or so years ago) can only shake their heads and groan. Those Top Ten days are a thing of the distant past. Very distant.

Last edited:
This move surprises me. USF is a tough job, but Kyle Smith had it on a big upswing and Washington State is one of the two toughest jobs in the Pac-12 (Cal being the other). I don't believe he has ties to Washington State or the Northwest, so what is the pull to go there?

money talks.... bennett was able to parlay UVA from washington st... the odds that he will get any better versus have worse seasons at usf is to much to risk.

This move surprises me. USF is a tough job, but Kyle Smith had it on a big upswing and Washington State is one of the two toughest jobs in the Pac-12 (Cal being the other). I don't believe he has ties to Washington State or the Northwest, so what is the pull to go there?

4-5 year guaranteed contract at 1.2-1.5 million a year is the pull. I am assuming he is making 500k tops now.

Reactions: ayalar09
The raise isn't surprising to me. My take was do you get a better chance at this raise later?

If he thought this was his best season to get a shot at this kind of job, then it makes more sense why he took it.

He did a very good job at San Francisco

4-5 year guaranteed contract at 1.2-1.5 million a year is the pull. I am assuming he is making 500k tops now.

not only that, but just look at the recruiting budget from ANY pac-12 school vs. USF. Their recruiting budget alone is larger than USF entire basketball budget. lol.

Reactions: ayalar09
The raise isn't surprising to me. My take was do you get a better chance at this raise later?

If he thought this was his best season to get a shot at this kind of job, then it makes more sense why he took it.

He did a very good job at San Francisco

Expectations up there are not high either if he can go around .500 it will be viewed as a success. That job used to be a good jumping off point as Kelvin Sampson and Tony Bennett went on to bigger and better jobs.

Huge move for Kyle Smith. Gotta understand it. Make 500-600K in San Francisco or make 1mil-1.5 mil in Pullman, WA. Seriously, wouldn't be surprised if Smith was living in an apartment in San Francisco making 600K a year!

Oregon state is a much tougher job then Cal.....let’s not forget Monty and Cuonzo had this team to multiples tourney bids in recent years........Wazzu and OSU nada.......Cal with a decent coach being in California should have no problem being tourney bound ever few years and should and have been till the the last 2 years a 18-22 win team consistently

Gotta love going from the best city in the world to pullman... he can buy a mansion but you are still in eastern washington. good luck with that. Tough place to recruit.

Gotta love going from the best city in the world to pullman... he can buy a mansion but you are still in eastern washington. good luck with that. Tough place to recruit.
Los Angeles is the best city in the world... i do agree pullman is like siberia..

When coach Raveling was at WSU I had a friend and teammate go up on a official visit. Now this was early mid 80's but they flew into Spokane and took a party bus with blacked out tinted windows to drive to Pullman. It was like a 2 hour bus ride from airport to WSU.

That's a tough obstacle in the recruiting wars. Raveling was a genius to pick people up in party bus and black out the windows so you don't pay attention to the drive and look out the window at nothin for 120 mins on the way to campus.

Bennett (both) proved that you can win their but you need to have a pro!

Im looking forward to seeing what Kyle can do up there. Good Luck!

He got a 5 yr 7 million dollar deal. Good for Kyle.

The new guy at USF is 33 years old......sheesh

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT