ADVERTISEMENT

USF pounds Cal

ayalar09

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2018
Very interesting how well the WCC is doing this year.

Both St. Mary's and USF absolutely smashed Cal into pieces this year.

When I grew up I remember Cal getting all the top guys in the bay area, including Ivan Rabb....Boy have they fallen from grace!

Agree with you on Cal, but USF is nice!!! WCC should be fun this year! Maybe someone can sting Gonzaga on their California swing in conference!!! What has happened to Cal and its Norcal Ties? You used to always see them in the gyms recruiting. Their Team Camp used to be incredible, and their open run with the high school kids in the rec gym was cool. Great academic institution we know, but basketball has really fallen on hard times. They need talent!

I think nowadays the no 1 thing with recruiting is the relationship between the kid and the coach. The school is almost secondary. I think Cal's big issue is they are bringing in coaches from areas other than the Bay Area.

Hate to say it but even though it's year two, my guess is Wyking Jones is on the hot seat. And Cal could easily pick off a coach like Kyle Smith from USF.

Been saying it all year. TOP WCC can compete with Pac12 schools this year and in many cases are better.
Cuonzo Martin left Cal in a terrible position. Jones is way over his head as well. No way should he be coaching at this level as a HC.

Cal is terrible. Just a mess.

Reactions: BadBucks
West Coast basketball teams with any chance to do serious damage in the post season: Zags and Nevada. That's it. We have become a college hoops desert out here. WAC, WCC, Big West, Pac-12, etc. all very weak overall. So many dogs there isn't a litter box big enough for all of them.

Get used to this. Cal because of the UC/CSU system is strapped for cash. They cant afford to pay top coaches (equates to top recruits) to come and when they actually get a guy (C. Martin) they cant afford to keep him because another school with money swoops on in. Unless their alumni or boosters infuse the sports programs to get the "right" people in place, this is going to be the norm. UCLA doesnt have this issue because of their boosters. Bruins dont have to be handcuffed by the UC financial situation.

Reactions: laidbackcoach
West Coast basketball teams with any chance to do serious damage in the post season: Zags and Nevada. That's it. We have become a college hoops desert out here. WAC, WCC, Big West, Pac-12, etc. all very weak overall. So many dogs there isn't a litter box big enough for all of them.
I knew Cal was in trouble 4 years ago, when they let Washington set up shop in their back yard. Washington coaches were at all local gyms
Get used to this. Cal because of the UC/CSU system is strapped for cash. They cant afford to pay top coaches (equates to top recruits) to come and when they actually get a guy (C. Martin) they cant afford to keep him because another school with money swoops on in. Unless their alumni or boosters infuse the sports programs to get the "right" people in place, this is going to be the norm. UCLA doesnt have this issue because of their boosters. Bruins dont have to be handcuffed by the UC financial situation.
Great point, if I'm not mistaken the University of Kentucky only pays Calapari's base salary. The rest comes from endowments from boosters.

Plus Cal has that huge mortgage issue hanging over the athletic budget due to facilities improvements that are not paying for themselves. Expect another Cal fiscal crisis very soon as proposals to cut sports come to the fore once more.

Reactions: CityVibesII
Cal has never had the "right" coach in place. It is a horrible power 5 coaching job.

Cal has never had the "right" coach in place. It is a horrible power 5 coaching job.

Pete Newell was OK when Cal went to two Final Fours in a row, winning a national title in 1959 and finishing second in 1960. But, I suppose, that's ancient history before Twitter, ESPN, Nike, the Kardashian Family and the invention of the wheel.

I promise I wont post again on this subject, but watching the GCU vs Nevada game, made me come back. 4 guys on the floor from Norcal!!! Yikes! Plus they didnt offer a few heavy hitters from the class of 2016.

Reactions: Fentons Cream
Just yesterday

New Mexico State nearly beats Kansas in Overtime. Terrell Brown from Moreau Catholic has been a major contributor this season.

GCU and Nevada great game also. Oscar Frayer & Damari Milstead (Moreau Catholic) start for the Lopes, Carlos Johnson (El Cerrito) plays major mins, Jordan Brown (Woodcreek) got on the floor and played well yesterday.

You have to win your own back yard or you will never be good long term. It helps filling seats and it turns itself over by having local players recruit other local players.

Reactions: Norcalbuckets
Just yesterday

New Mexico State nearly beats Kansas in Overtime. Terrell Brown from Moreau Catholic has been a major contributor this season.

GCU and Nevada great game also. Oscar Frayer & Damari Milstead (Moreau Catholic) start for the Lopes, Carlos Johnson (El Cerrito) plays major mins, Jordan Brown (Woodcreek) got on the floor and played well yesterday.

You have to win your own back yard or you will never be good long term. It helps filling seats and it turns itself over by having local players recruit other local players.

Don't forget Jo Jo Zamora (Newark Memorial/Serra) at New Mexico State. He's been balling. Was the leading scorer the past two games. 27pts vs New Mexico and 15pts vs Kansas this weekend.

I do not count NCAA history or "national titles" prior to full integration of black athletes.

OK. Would you agree that USF essentially broke the color barrier in 1954 by starting three African-Americans? Or would it take more to fulfill your requirement? If so, what your is your starting point for "true" national titles?

Southern schools didnt start to integrate until 1964. The SEC didn't have its first black player until 1967. The SEC was not fully integrated until 1972.

USF's progress does not erase the fact that black basketball players from the blackest region in the country were not allowed to compete at local state institutions until the 70s.

So, no I do not agree with you.

Cal needs to build the relationships (hard to doneth the revolving door they have had) and be agrresssive in recruiting local (early offers).

If you wait to get involved once then if boys get in, Cal loses.

A lot of guys who are playing well at low to mid major schools I believe would have chosen Cal if they showed more than minimal interest.

Reactions: Fentons Cream
Southern schools didnt start to integrate until 1964. The SEC didn't have its first black player until 1967. The SEC was not fully integrated until 1972.

USF's progress does not erase the fact that black basketball players from the blackest region in the country were not allowed to compete at local state institutions until the 70s.

So, no I do not agree with you.

OK

Let’s not forget Cal is a much harder school to get in to. It’s hard to recruit certain kids to Cal because they may not get in academically or they will struggle when they get there. But i do agree they need to be more involved locally and build those relationships. I don’t Wyking Jones coming back next year.

CAL is not a hard school to get into if you are an athlete. USF is just as hard if not harder. JKIDD got into CAL. Lets not forget that. Stanford on the other hand maintains brutal requirements which is why their "pool" of talent is so small and so spread out across the USAl

For the general public CAL is harder of course. Not if you are a high level athlete.

Let’s not forget Cal is a much harder school to get in to. It’s hard to recruit certain kids to Cal because they may not get in academically or they will struggle when they get there. But i do agree they need to be more involved locally and build those relationships. I don’t Wyking Jones coming back next year.
Cal is not remotely difficult to get into if you are a scholarship athlete. Not all college coaches are good talent evaluators and Cal has consistently shown that through the years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT