ADVERTISEMENT

Vista Del Lago / Christian Brothers

Knock Heads

Superstar
Aug 17, 2017
My son will be entering high school next year. Vista Del Lago would be our most nearby high school. He plays a little football and so we have been considering other schools. Sounds like he's down to VDL or CB. Any comments on these two programs in terms of pro's and con's?

My son will be entering high school next year. Vista Del Lago would be our most nearby high school. He plays a little football and so we have been considering other schools. Sounds like he's down to VDL or CB. Any comments on these two programs in terms of pro's and con's?
Vista Del Lago. School is absolutely beautiful. They just opened up their own stadium with lights this year. Great and up and coming sports programs with amazing academics. My kids go there now.

Reactions: Knock Heads
Vista is a gorgeous school and great academically. Its hard to justify CB or Jesuit when you have schools like Folsom, Vista, and OR on the 50. My kids have been to a lot of the hoop camps Mike Wall puts on their in the summer. (yes he's the Folsom coach) Really nice school and competes well overall in just about everything in D3. Hoop team went far last year into state playoffs. And the football stadium is awesome now with the lights.

Reactions: sierrafoothillking
Vista is a gorgeous school and great academically. Its hard to justify CB or Jesuit when you have schools like Folsom, Vista, and OR on the 50. My kids have been to a lot of the hoop camps Mike Wall puts on their in the summer. (yes he's the Folsom coach) Really nice school and competes well overall in just about everything in D3. Hoop team went far last year into state playoffs. And the football stadium is awesome now with the lights.

Thank you. And its just down the street! I don't think he's given Oak Ridge enough of a chance. He hangs out with a group of guys whose parents have pretty much turned them off to the bigger football programs. They have lumped Oak Ridge into that category for whatever reason.

I don't really know a lot about Vista Del Lago so i cannot speak on them but me personally i'd go with CB . (I just goggled where Vista Del Lago is ..... ) are u really wanting to travel to CB every day from Folsom ?

Vista's location is amazing. Empire Ranch neighborhood in Folsom. View of the lake. Cell service up there sucks but the facilities more than make up for it. It is probably one of the nicest schools I've been in or around.

I don't really know a lot about Vista Del Lago so i cannot speak on them but me personally i'd go with CB . (I just goggled where Vista Del Lago is ..... ) are u really wanting to travel to CB every day from Folsom ?

Wanting to? Of course not. But I like CB academically and I think the new coach is a solid addition. Also, the athletic department has had some changes lately that should be for the better, I think.

Reactions: coachlittle
Speaking from experience - my son went to CB and played football there, my daughter currently goes to Vista and plays volleyball - you can't go wrong with either school. Academically, Vista is equal to CB, and may surpass it. Football wise, CB and Vista are comparable, and both have traded the CAL title back and forth. CAL will only get tougher next year with Mira Loma and Casa leaving, and Capital Christian and Sacramento joining. Vista athletics strives for success and they are trying to build the program on a collegiate model, with strength & conditioning program, etc. I expect Vista to move up to D2 as their enrollment has increased a little and they are now in low D2/high D3 enrollment area.

Ultimately, it comes down to what your kid wants and what environment your kid prefers. My son needed the support system that CB provided, and he thrived - I don't think that would have happened at a public school - even Vista (which didn't open until he was already at CB). My daughter thrives anywhere, so Vista has been great for her. I'm not complaining about not paying the $14-15k to CB either.

Personally, My kids were slated to go to Vista but we school choiced into Folsom years back. Vistas block shedule makes it much more difficult for students to be successful in higher classes. (Compare the two calculus programs, Folsom’s blows Vista’s out of the water.) There is always an opportunity to play at Folsom, it has less to do with talent and more to do with who buys in to the program. My daughters friends who weren’t initially successfully ended up starting on varsity there senior years. Everyone gets a fair shot contrary to what is thrown around here. If a small school is what you want go to Vista, but if you want a school with too athletic and academic programs, nothing matches Folsom. (except maybe GB)

Reactions: Knock Heads
Looks like Vista matches in AP choices. And a student not in AP territory? Say adios to the UCs (except UCM.) Like many privates, CB does not publish AP offerings, possibly as they are inferior.

Some parents want their kids to go to the better “athletic program.” What if they don’t work hard at their sport and suffer the expected group 2 status?
Crapshoot. Stick with better academics and embrace they may want to attend HS with their friends, and fewer sport wannabe parents.

CB has plenty of AP classes as well, including the usuals in English, Math, Science and History. You just have to peruse their course catalog -http://www.cbhs-sacramento.org/academics/course-catalog/.

Not sure the distinction between Vista and Folsom in Math both have the same AP Calculus offerings - just in a block schedule versus traditional schedule format. Different methods for different students. My daughter loves the block schedule, and was the reason she ended up choosing Vista over Folsom or CB. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with any of these schools.

CB has plenty of AP classes as well, including the usuals in English, Math, Science and History. You just have to peruse their course catalog -http://www.cbhs-sacramento.org/academics/course-catalog/.

Not sure the distinction between Vista and Folsom in Math both have the same AP Calculus offerings - just in a block schedule versus traditional schedule format. Different methods for different students. My daughter loves the block schedule, and was the reason she ended up choosing Vista over Folsom or CB. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with any of these schools.
I agree. Both schools are great. But if they are so similar, and one is free, i'm going freeee!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT