ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2017: Sports Stars Magazine write up of Serra's State Bowl Win

It does, but if you could have the last two years of HS at only 5 games in 1st and whole season at 2nd. It was stupid to keep a high schooler at program or culture that isn't good for them.

Last edited:
SH already has a tough time beating SI even when it appears their team has better players. When you add the refs calling back TDs, SH might as well just lay down because theres no way they can compete against that.

A lot of things went right on Friday night and SI still could won.

1) no Jaedon Roberts. If he's still there, forget it SI wins by at least 3 TDs.

2) Will Irons is 6'5" and we've never had a QB that tall and can throw it like he does. Harrington maybe but he was nowhere near the passer as Irons. Any normal year SH QB has their wobbly passes batted down at the line or can't get to those WRs.

3) The refs minus the penalty on the kick return TD actually called more crucial penalties against SI. Two pass interferences and the illegal forward pass.

4) SI RELIGIOUSLY loves to call a fake punt near midfield against SH and ALWAYS convert. They did not and the ball went through the endzone for a touchback.

5) When we have a Zack on the team, we beat SI. Zack Rance, Zack Tapel, Zack Leolao.

6) Miraculously we won despite the huge time of possession disparity. And this despite having an offense that can move the ball through the air and with Speedy in the backfield and a "down year" by SI.

Give huge credit SH defense for somehow stopping SI on all those possessions. As the saying goes, it doesn't even matter what happens the rest of the year. This was their Super Bowl. I hope the letdown next week is not too severe.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#1) The star was the IRISH D, which showed they play well as a team...SI owned the time of possession by a HUGE margin, Jaedon Roberts would not be a factor that much and even if SHC lost that night it would not be three TD's. We will never know now will we? I think we have followed enough SH football to know we saw a special unit come thru for the win, this was the best D I have seen at SH period.

#2) Irons is tall and has a good arm with accuracy, but SHC also has above average receivers this year, they have some size and but most importantly football speed.

#4) I completely agree SI ALWAYS does something to gain points on special teams. SI already blocked one punt and they came again like banshees when they had SHC pinned back relatively close to the end zone, but the punter who should get the game ball or the entire D ( in my opinion) somehow was slippery enough (like QB Katz) to sidestep and still get off a hecka of a punt!!...if he didn't do that SI would have went into the second half 14-7 I surmise.

# 5) No Zack, no wins...witty comment and funny...There is no Zack on the Freshman or Jv's currently...so hoping for a transfer?..There was no Zack in 1986 and we won so there you go:)

#6) Even if you say this was a "down year" for SI, they still had plenty of fresh bodies to rotate in and out and that to me makes the IRISH Defense even more special that they played with the same heart, same guys and the same intensity. It was beautiful to watch. SI and SH played with emotion and left it all out there, this was no give me or give away game. Great effort on both schools, and what coaches always want to see.

I want to be more positive I think this small band of brothers will play much better now with the confidence bestowed. If they go unscathed (injury free) against St. Francis and Valley Christian and continue to play with the same intensity (I don't think anyone on this board will predict a victory against SF or VC) they have a shot of actually upsetting Bellarmine or Mitty. Can anyone tell me when the Irish beat Bellarmine or Mitty in football? Wasn't it 3 years ago, they actually beat Bellarmine in soccer?? So it is possible? Maybe IC knows...Go Irish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#1) The star was the IRISH D, which showed they play well as a team...SI owned the time of possession by a HUGE margin, Jaedon Roberts would not be a factor that much and even if SHC lost that night it would not be three TD's. We will never know now will we? I think we have followed enough SH football to know we saw a special unit come thru for the win, this was the best D I have seen at SH period.

#2) Irons is tall and has a good arm with accuracy, but SHC also has above average receivers this year, they have some size and but most importantly football speed.

#4) I completely agree SI ALWAYS does something to gain points on special teams. SI already blocked one punt and they came again like banshees when they had SHC pinned back relatively close to the end zone, but the punter who should get the game ball or the entire D ( in my opinion) somehow was slippery enough (like QB Katz) to sidestep and still get off a hecka of a punt!!...if he didn't do that SI would have went into the second half 14-7 I surmise.

# 5) No Zack, no wins...witty comment and funny...There is no Zack on the Freshman or Jv's currently...so hoping for a transfer?..There was no Zack in 1986 and we won so there you go:)

#6) Even if you say this was a "down year" for SI, they still had plenty of fresh bodies to rotate in and out and that to me makes the IRISH Defense even more special that they played with the same heart, same guys and the same intensity. It was beautiful to watch. SI and SH played with emotion and left it all out there, this was no give me or give away game. Great effort on both schools, and what coaches always want to see.

I want to be more positive I think this small band of brothers will play much better now with the confidence bestowed. If they go unscathed (injury free) against St. Francis and Valley Christian and continue to play with the same intensity (I don't think anyone on this board will predict a victory against SF or VC) they have a shot of actually upsetting Bellarmine or Mitty. Can anyone tell me when the Irish beat Bellarmine or Mitty in football? Wasn't it 3 years ago, they actually beat Bellarmine in soccer?? So it is possible? Maybe IC knows...Go Irish.
Versus Bellarmine: Fall 1997 at SJCC. They went undefeated that year. Next year back in WCAL. the next year Bellarmine beat them by 50. Before that apparently some time in early 40s.

Last edited:

Versus Bellarmine: Fall 1997 at SJCC. They went undefeated that year. Next year back in WCAL. the next year Bellarmine beat them by 50. Before that apparently some time in early 40s.

Irish beat Bellarmine on the road, in 1940, 13-6, and again in 1997, 14-6. SHC was so close in 2011. Without a late fumble and two missed shots to the end zone at the end of the game, there would have been a nice upset. The 1974 game was only 3-0 Bells, after Bellarmine lost to Mitty 50-0.The soccer team has been fairly successful against them lately. Their first win was 2-0 on January 31, 1975. Irish shut them out twice in 2015. 0-0 and 2-0. Who else ever did that to them?

Last edited:
Its pretty funny from shear recollection I can probably count in one hand the number of times SH has beaten the non-SF WCAL teams from 1989 to the present.

Of course every remembers the Jamar intercepting Brady game vs Serra. I believe thats their only win vs JS.

The world turned upside down in 2008 as SH beat St. Francis, Mitty, AND Valley Christian IN THE SAME SEASON??!?!?!?

Bellarmine I think we either won or tied against in 1998 led by Leo Fiallos/Zack Rance.

There... I count 5. The rest of the time we lost.

Serra is 34-4 vs Sacred Heart. One of the losses to the Irish was in 1971 ...I think SH had a guy named Fogerty at QB. Not sure if any of the Serra losses pre-dated 1970, but it would be on www.serrahs.com.

Its pretty funny from shear recollection I can probably count in one hand the number of times SH has beaten the non-SF WCAL teams from 1989 to the present.

Of course every remembers the Jamar intercepting Brady game vs Serra. I believe thats their only win vs JS.

The world turned upside down in 2008 as SH beat St. Francis, Mitty, AND Valley Christian IN THE SAME SEASON??!?!?!?

Bellarmine I think we either won or tied against in 1998 led by Leo Fiallos/Zack Rance.

There... I count 5. The rest of the time we lost.

Brady couldn't get over Jamar Sheppard scoring a 20-yard TD, an INT for a TD and a knock-down of a last-minute pass at the end of that game in 1996.

I counted 8 wins since 1989. Bellarmine: 1997; Mitty: 1995, 2008; Valley Christian: 1992, 2008; Serra: 1994, 1997. St. Francis: 2008.

Brady couldn't get over Jamar Sheppard scoring a 20-yard TD, an INT for a TD and a knock-down of a last-minute pass at the end of that game in 1996.

I counted 8 wins since 1989. Bellarmine: 1997; Mitty: 1995, 2008; Valley Christian: 1992, 2008; Serra: 1994, 1997. St. Francis: 2008.

VC joined the WCAL IN 2003

VC joined the WCAL IN 2003

VC tied for the WCAL football title in 2002. Since VC joined the league that year and Patrick Walsh took over the Serra program the year before in 2001, the Bellarmine-St. Francis lock on the title has been broken. It's a new day.

VC tied for the WCAL football title in 2002. Since VC joined the league that year and Patrick Walsh took over the Serra program the year before in 2001, the Bellarmine-St. Francis lock on the title has been broken. It's a new day.

This is 100% folly but I suspect St. Francis dominating across all the league in virtually every sport. All they need to do is tell that kid in San Jose, hey you dont want to go to Bellarmine, VC or Mitty, you want to come here to St. Francis. Look at this duffel bag full of Snapchat cash!!!

great
This is 100% folly but I suspect St. Francis dominating across all the league in virtually every sport. All they need to do is tell that kid in San Jose, hey you dont want to go to Bellarmine, VC or Mitty, you want to come here to St. Francis. Look at this duffel bag full of Snapchat cash!!!

You may be forgetting all of that Google, Apple, Facebook dough sloshing around in San Jose. The entire length of Silicon Valley is simply awash in great gobs of filthy lucre.

great

You may be forgetting all of that Google, Apple, Facebook dough sloshing around in San Jose. The entire length of Silicon Valley is simply awash in great gobs of filthy lucre.

Wait you honestly think people that work at Apple, FB and Google have time to have families?

Upcoming WCAL Games This Week: Week 2 of league play.

Fri 09/29 Mitty vs Riordan at Foothill College (Los Altos Hills, CA), 7:00pm
Fri 09/29 Serra vs Bellarmine at San Jose City College 7:00pm
Fri 09/29 Sacred Heart Cathedral at St. Francis 7:00pm
Sat 09/30 Valley Christian at St. Ignatius 1:00pm

Projected Winners:

Mitty over Riordan
Serra over Bells
SF over SHC
VC over S.I.

Over/Under by computer projections:
Mitty 20+ over Riordan
Serra 17+ over Bells
SF 14 over SHC
VC 35+ over S.I.

I'll be the first to admit the computer projections in some cases make no sense to me & part of the reason they do not project all the games until starting October [my projections are from being manually entered by teams]. So I'll take a step further to see what other fans think.

Mitty over Riordan by 20: Mitty has already proven to be better than expected and took down the Bell's in a dog fight in which Bell's were favored. Riordan on the other hand has been a bit disappointing and lost to Serra by 45-0 in which could have been much worse. Riordan has some athletes, but the the play execution, penalties and at times seemingly lack of focus follows the 2016 season [correct me if wrong].
Could Mitty win by 20+ ? Simple answer is YES. If Riordan wants to make a statement and turn the corner for this season with a huge possible upset this would be the time.

Serra over Bells by 17+: Now this projection simply makes me nervous as I see it as a much tighter game. Bells' took down a very tough M-A team who I do not think Serra would beat by 17+, let alone the Bells. Serra still a bit of a mystery in turns of WCAL teams and this will answer a lot of questions. Last season Serra steam-rolled the once dominant Coach Janda Bells in their most humiliating loss of the season. If there is any team that the Bells will be up for this season it will def be Serra. Watch out Serra as this is the classic "trap game". Come into the Bell's turf cocky and it could be a long bus ride home to 20th Ave.

SF over SHC by 14: First off I would have guessed SF by 21-28. On 2nd thought it occurred to me that SHC does have some good players on O and SF not so much this year - so the overall score should not be a blowout by SF. SHC is certainly better than Oak Grove or Palma at this point and just beat a respectable S.I. team. SHC in turn will face the best D they have seem so far, and by best I mean a LOT better than the 4 teams they've faced so far. Will Irons and the SHC coaching staff had better have their O-line prepared and some creative play calling to offset the pressure Irons is about to face. SF is not a high scoring team and if SHC can possibly stay close and score a couple big play TD's they can stay close.

VC over S.I. by 35+: This projection actually shocked me after looking at SF-SHC as it shows a complete blow-out by the VC Warrior's. S.I. is a pretty decent team and has played well against the teams faced so far. On the other hand VC looked almost unstoppable against an excellent St. Francis defense and their run game is a thing of beauty - big O-line, several speedy RB's and very good execution and their QB is better than expected. This Valley Christian team is the real deal and S.I. had better be prepared to defend their home turf. Best case scenario for S.I. is keep away & field position.
Given the ball too often and in good field position this VC team will run the ball down your throat [yes they're THAT good from what I've observed].

Last edited:
Reactions: Defense_Rules
Agree on the Bells-Serra game. If it is played in the low 20s, it will come down to the final possessions. Any higher and I don't think Bellarmine will stay in the game very long.

1. If Serra executes like they did against the Crusaders...Padres take down the Bells by 3+ scores. Turnovers and lack of execution by the Padres will be the only reason the score is close or enables the Bells to pull off an upset. Best game of the weekend!
  2. Spot on assessment on the Mitty-Riordan game. Enough said. Just win Crusaders.
  3. I see SF running a ball control offense- short passes, power running to eat up the clock and keep the Irish D on the field and their O off, eventually wearing down their 2-way starters. Irish may keep within striking distance, but the Lancers impose their will in the second half.
  4. VC comes out flat against the 'Cats, but gradually finds its groove and wins going away.

Very good iamgearyblvd - funniest post of the day & oh so true!

I'll just keep adding on to this. And even if these employees of Apple, FB, and Google did have families, they have "blessed" us with technology that has made families distant, absorbed into their phones, and social media "life", and can't normally interact/communicate with each other.

[QUOTE="iamgearyblvd, post: 174954, member: 1806"]I'll just keep adding on to this. And even if these employees of Apple, FB, and Google did have families, they have "blessed" us with technology that has made families distant, absorbed into their phones, and social media "life", and can't normally interact/communicate with each other.[/QUOTE]

Truer words never spoken.. https://digitalsynopsis.com/buzz/smartphone-addiction-funny-sad-images/

While we have seemingly become slaves of our own technology at least I can watch live-streaming of the games on my IPhone :)

WCAL Weekly CA State Ranking [of 1043 teams listed in CA]

Ranking - Team - Power Rating

#45 VC - 41.6 - 32.5
#62 SF - 37.7 - 37.7
#67 Serra - 37.2 - 40.6
#113 Mitty - 28.9 - 27.2
#159 Bells - 23.4 - 29.6
#172 SHC - 22.7 - 5.9
# 303 S.I. - 8.6 - 23.0
#320 ARHS - 7.4 - 26.7

Change in rankings from previous Week 3:
VC +17
SF -16
Serra -12
Mitty +32
Bells -52
SHC +34
S.I. - 80
ARHS -38

WCAL League Standings:
VC 1-0
Serra 1-0
Mitty 1-0
SHC 1-0
SF 0-1
Bells 0-1
S.I. 0-1
ARHS 0-1

Teams with Toughest Schedules to date after 4 games:

1. Serra 40.7
2. SF 37.8
3. VC 32.5
4. Bells 29.6
5. Mitty 27.2
6. Riordan 26.7
7. S.I. 23.0
8. SHC 5.9

Points Scored through 4 Games:
1. SHC 152
2. VC 151
3. Serra 128
4. Mitty 107
5. SF 103
6. S.I. 70
7. Bells 63
8. ARHS 62

Points Allowed through 4 Games:
1. VC 53
2. SHC 61
3. SF 65
4. Bells 81
5. Mitty 83
6. Serra 97
7. S.I. 103
8. ARHS 148

League Standings IF no upsets in Week 2:
1. VC 2-0
1. Serra 2-0
1. Mitty 2-0
4. SF 1-1
4. SHC 1-1
8. Bells 0-2
8. S.I. 0-2
8. ARHS

Agree on the Bells-Serra game. If it is played in the low 20s, it will come down to the final possessions. Any higher and I don't think Bellarmine will stay in the game very long.

StreakOne - bottom line if you read my previous post: Serra has had tougher schedule of the 2 teams, Serra scores 32-points per game average while Bells averaging about 16, Serra giving up 24 per game while Bell's giving up 20.
Although this IS the WCAL and the Serra vs Bells game is Serra's biggest rival [due to the decades of thrashings at the hands of the Bells, respectively referred to as "The Prunes" by generations of Serra alumni & fans - ie: the prune farms of Santa Clara from past adjacent to Bellarmine]. Serra has the best passing game in the league and Bell's not so much. Bells do have a capable defense and with field position and turn-overs anything can happen in this rivalry game. I heard Serra had its annual Bells rally for tomorrow nights game and heard the gym was packed. I can guess that the Bells will also be charged up due to their humbling loss at the hands of Serra last season by 48-13, one of Serra's most dominating wins ever over the Bells. Now Bell's also have their big rivalry with St. Francis who BTW has also been an even bigger nemesis of Serra as in "The Curse", however for some reason the Serra fans particularly savor any win over the Bellarmine Bells who ruled the WCAL for many years until St. Francis also came into prominence. I am pretty sure ColHenry, Berdooman, Serdaprs or others could elaborate further. In any case it will likely be a highly entertaining game tomorrow evening whether in person or on TheCube.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers

StreakOne - bottom line if you read my previous post: Serra has had tougher schedule of the 2 teams, Serra scores 32-points per game average while Bells averaging about 16, Serra giving up 24 per game while Bell's giving up 20.
Although this IS the WCAL and the Serra vs Bells game is Serra's biggest rival [due to the decades of thrashings at the hands of the Bells, respectively referred to as "The Prunes" by generations of Serra alumni & fans - ie: the prune farms of Santa Clara from past adjacent to Bellarmine]. Serra has the best passing game in the league and Bell's not so much. Bells do have a capable defense and with field position and turn-overs anything can happen in this rivalry game. I heard Serra had its annual Bells rally for tomorrow nights game and heard the gym was packed. I can guess that the Bells will also be charged up due to their humbling loss at the hands of Serra last season by 48-13, one of Serra's most dominating wins ever over the Bells. Now Bell's also have their big rivalry with St. Francis who BTW has also been an even bigger nemesis of Serra as in "The Curse", however for some reason the Serra fans particularly savor any win over the Bellarmine Bells who ruled the WCAL for many years until St. Francis also came into prominence. I am pretty sure ColHenry, Berdooman, Serdaprs or others could elaborate further. In any case it will likely be a highly entertaining game tomorrow evening whether in person or on TheCube.

For Serra alums who have been around for awhile and well recall the early days of the rivalry with Bellarmine in the post-WWII years, the Bells were the prep gold standard when it came to West Bay football. For Serra at least, Bellarmine was a natural rival. SI has become a Serra focus in basketball over time.

The Serra record all time vs the Bells is 24-49-2
Over the last 10 season's the record for Serra is 3 wins 7 losses vs the Bell's.

Suddenly I'm getting nervous about tonite's game...:confused:

Reactions: jordan24
According to the Serra website, the record vs. Bellarmine under Coach Walsh is 14-10 in the Padres' favor, 6-9 over the last 10 campaigns. So, yes, be very wary if you are a Serra fan. But the recent record is not quite as bleak as one might believe. In fact, over the last four seasons, the record is 4-1 in Serra's favor. Not bad.

Reactions: jordan24
Colhenry - am looking at the Serra year to year records and maybe we're looking at 2 different pages [I'm looking at the year to year results with Walsh starting in 2001.

Under Walsh since 2001 Serra has played the Bells 20 times consisting of 16 league games and 4 post season games. Here's what I'm seeing:

2016 Serra 48-13
2015 Bells 36-28
2014 Serra 28-14
2013 Serra 17-7 + post season Serra 28-17
2012 Bells 35-34 + post season Bells 17-12
2011 Bells 21-14
2010 Bells 30-22
2009 Bells 23-21 + post season Bells 20-10
2008 Serra 31-23
2007 Serra 24-20 + post season Bells 20-19
2006 Serra 33-20
2005 Bells 38-33
2004 Serra 21-7
2003 Serra 31-28
2002 Serra 28-23
2001 Serra 27-8

Record over 20 games vs Bells = Serra 11-9
[Coach Walsh has a 55% average vs Coach Janda]
Post Season Record in playoffs Serra 1-3

Since Coach Walsh took over at Serra the series has become much more competitive with the 2016 game of 48-13 having the largest margin of victory by either team of 35 points. Other than 2016 the previous 19 games between the 2 teams had an average point differential of less than 8 points between winner & loser with 8 games being decided by 5 points or less.

Colhenry - am looking at the Serra year to year records and maybe we're looking at 2 different pages [I'm looking at the year to year results with Walsh starting in 2001.

Under Walsh since 2001 Serra has played the Bells 20 times consisting of 16 league games and 4 post season games. Here's what I'm seeing:

2016 Serra 48-13
2015 Bells 36-28
2014 Serra 28-14
2013 Serra 17-7 + post season Serra 28-17
2012 Bells 35-34 + post season Bells 17-12
2011 Bells 21-14
2010 Bells 30-22
2009 Bells 23-21 + post season Bells 20-10
2008 Serra 31-23
2007 Serra 24-20 + post season Bells 20-19
2006 Serra 33-20
2005 Bells 38-33
2004 Serra 21-7
2003 Serra 31-28
2002 Serra 28-23
2001 Serra 27-8

Record over 20 games vs Bells = Serra 11-9
[Coach Walsh has a 55% average vs Coach Janda]
Post Season Record in playoffs Serra 1-3

Since Coach Walsh took over at Serra the series has become much more competitive with the 2016 game of 48-13 having the largest margin of victory by either team of 35 points. Other than 2016 the previous 19 games between the 2 teams had an average point differential of less than 8 points between winner & loser with 8 games being decided by 5 points or less.

I expect Serra to beat Bellarmine. The score should be similar to last year if Mafi plays.

I expect Serra to beat Bellarmine. The score should be similar to last year if Mafi plays.

Mr Direct: This is from one of my previous posts a few days ago & as you can see computers have Serra by 17 over Bells. Last years game everything went Serra's way and the score was 48-13, a 35 point differential, one of the largest by Serra in the 76 games played to date by the 2 teams.
The 17 points is quite a bit for a top tier vs middle tier WCAL team if that is even the case. Bell's barely lost to a good Mitty team and also took down MA who has beaten Los Gatos and just beat then 4-0 Burlingame. Tonite we find out just how good both these teams are and depending on outcome if Serra does pose a threat to both VC & SF as the rated #1 & #2 teams from the WCAL.
SF vs SHC will be interesting as well as this game is projected closer than any other in recent years between the 2 teams.

Projected Winners:
Mitty over Riordan
Serra over Bells
SF over SHC
VC over S.I.

Over/Under by computer projections:

Mitty 20+ over Riordan
Serra 17+ over Bells
SF 14 over SHC
VC 35+ over S.I.

Cannot say it any better than the announcers of game "Serra looks like a well oiled machine and Bell's have no answer on how to stop them".

21-0 Serra end of 1rst quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT