ADVERTISEMENT

State Open seedings predictions;

northbaybbguru

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
Ok I'll take my shot...

I got CW staying in the South and no San Diego teams in the Open.

North;

1. Mitty
2. SMS
3. CN
4. Folsom
5. SRV

South;

1. Etiwanda
2. Sierra Canyon
3. CW
4. Mater Dei
5. Sage Hill (Kobe's ❤️ girls!)

Ok I'll take my shot...

I got CW staying in the South and no San Diego teams in the Open.

North;

1. Mitty
2. SMS
3. CN
4. Folsom
5. SRV

South;

1. Etiwanda
2. Sierra Canyon
3. CW
4. Mater Dei
5. Sage Hill (Kobe's ❤️ girls!)
North:

1. Mitty
2. CW
3. CN
4. SMS
5. SRV
6. Folsom

I think the number is 5 or 6 for NorCal depending where Clovis West ends up.

The decision for 2 between CN and St. Mary's (excluding Clovis West) is tough. St. Mary's has the head to head victory and are seem to be improving each week. CN has lost since Taissa got eligible and just won the best bracket in NorCal.

This is a classic seeding dilemma: Power ranking vs. body of work.

A power ranking is a subjective judgment of "who would win tonight", and can adjust for injuries, momentum, eligibility, etc. But at heart, it's a feeling -- "Taissa Queiroz changes everything", say.

The body of work relies on objective data: MaxPreps rankings (to the point the algorithm is objective), which take into account the whole season; head-to-head results from earlier in the years; common opponents (though this is shaky, given injuries, location of game, etc.).

If you go by power ranking, I think Cardinal Newman gets the call. If you go by body of work, the head-to-head win is the trump card. At stake is home court in the Open semis, and an outside shot to upset Mitty (maybe Morgan Cheli is still out) in the finals.

I am a big believer in body of work, but in this case, I go with power ranking, because Queiroz does indeed change everything.

Reactions: observer22

Brackets will be released in the late afternoon on Sunday, February 25

They’ve added the word late to the CIF site. They must have some issues to resolve.

Question marks ❓
1. Pinewood #1 seed in D1
2. Oakridge #3 seed in D1
Both teams received a very favorable seeding, and not deserved in my opinion.

McClatchy got a very unfavorable rating at #16. McClatchy beat Priory head-to-head. #15 seed Saint Francis of Mountain View, (15-11) seeded ahead of CalHiSports #23 in the state McClatchy is absurd.

I was really hoping newman would be away from Mitty but it didn't work out at that way especially with Folsom losing to St Marys in SJS finals. That really hurt. Oh well. Got 1 game in front of you and gotta take care of biz.

I was really hoping newman would be away from Mitty but it didn't work out at that way especially with Folsom losing to St Marys in SJS finals. That really hurt. Oh well. Got 1 game in front of you and gotta take care of biz.
At least Newman gets a home game before the Mitty matchup.

The Pinewood 1 seed makes no sense. They should have been about a 6 seed.

Clet at the 4 has to be smiling... with the bogus 1 seed if they can get by the 5 SHC/ 12 salesian matchup..

I mean unless my memory is bad im pretty sure Clet smoked PW this season already.

So based on this PW was next in line to the OPEN if they had gone to 7. What???
How in the he'll did PW get the 1???

I was hoping for an early round rematch of CN vs. SM, with Tissa in the CN lineup. An early rematch with Folsom in playoffs is…whatever. 6 teams in open screwed up the seeding, especially putting Clovis in the North.

The way the seeds flushed out, if you only look at it from the perspective of making it as deep as possible, you could make the argument that it was better to LOSE the CN v SRV game. Yes, the loser (SRV) has a first round road trip to Stockton and the winner (CN) enjoys home cooking. But who would you rather travel to in the semi final; Clovis or Mitty?

Reactions: northbaybbguru
The way the seeds flushed out, if you only look at it from the perspective of making it as deep as possible, you could make the argument that it was better to LOSE the CN v SRV game. Yes, the loser (SRV) has a first round road trip to Stockton and the winner (CN) enjoys home cooking. But who would you rather travel to in the semi final; Clovis or Mitty?
Understood but in terms of relevance its the first NCS Open Champ by Newman and one of the biggest wins in school history. Was talking to another hoop junkie from CN community and besides the state champ Newman won back in 2016 led by Vice, Flores, Walker, Webb, and that group this stands right behind that.
Unfinished business and Folsom will be ready for revenge. Should be a great rematch.

I agree there is definitely some merit to this comment.

Honestly I just don't see Clovis West being a 2 seed and I think that kind of messed up everyone's projections. Knowing they were going to get called up north I would have had them in the 4.

CW struggled vs St Joe's in heir final...a 4 pt win. SRV just played SJ a couple of weeks back and smoked them by 25.

I think the winner of SMS v SRV wins at CW.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHillZ
I agree there is definitely some merit to this comment.

Honestly I just don't see Clovis West being a 2 seed and I think that kind of messed up everyone's projections. Knowing they were going to get called up north I would have had them in the 4.

CW struggled vs St Joe's in heir final...a 4 pt win. SRV just played SJ a couple of weeks back and smoked them by 25.

I think the winner of SMS v SRV wins at CW.

CN should be #2 and CW should be #4. I'm expecting CN to beat Folsom and Saturday's match up with Mitt should be a great game.

CN should be #2 and CW should be #4. I'm expecting CN to beat Folsom and Saturday's match up with Mitt should be a great game.
CN women have the NCS Open division section championship under their belt. If they can beat Folsom a second time, they will have the opportunity to give their best shot at the number one team in the Nation. Already, that’s a pretty damn great year.

Reactions: larry legend33
Totally agree. However, 2 things killed them. Early season loss to St Mary's without all world Taissa and then St Mary's beating Folsom last week for SJS title. I do like Newman at home vs Folsom and then its lay it on the line time against top team in nation. Mitty hasn't had a close game since December. Does that hurt them against a quality team like Newman or Folsom? I don't know. They seem to be in a different sphere this year.

I've seen the majority of Mitty's games. If they play without 6-2 PG Morgan Cheli and 6-1 PF Belle Bramer like they did last Friday night for the CCS championship, they could be in trouble. Btw, I witnessed the Pinewood game at Mitty w/ Bramer and I was impressed. The 28 point victory was the closest game that the Monarchs have played in the CCS. Pinewood hit 9 three pointers and has four players capable of knocking those down if left open. I was surprised that they're the #1 seed in Div I but watch them perform. Doc Schepler is a great *shooting* coach. The Panthers have a soph PG that shoots the three like Hannah Jump & Elle Ladine.

Last edited:
SMS deserved the 2 and CN the 3 IMO.

The seading miscalculation was CW being put at the 2. Based on that 4 pt victory over St Joes in the section final (the 6 seed SRV beat SJ by 25 just a couple of weeks ago) I just dont see it. Maybe CW proves me wrong and if so I will apologize on the forum. We've already seen a fail by the committee with the PW headscratcher 1 seed getting upset by 16 tonight. Does anyone have the St Joe's final? They got placed as the 2 seed in D1 in the South.

From scorin 80.Mitty is in a different sphere. Most NorCal teams are happy to have a couple mid-major kids. Mitty brings those off the bench.
it is 5 on five.. CN has been tested hard recently. Mitty hasn’t. Plus the Mitty bye may make them flat-footed the first half. I believe there is a possibility CN will pull off the upset, if they get by Folsom first. Monica just has to come up with a winning game Plan. Gotta keep Mitty. Below 75 points.

Looks like St Joes won by 8.

PW gets a gift and drops the ball, or just played how we thought they would. while St Francis gets “rewarded” for a CCS open 3 game thumping by getting to travel to BOD and lose by 50.

And Los Gatos got the CCS open treatment too, lose to both WCAL schools in your pool just to have to go to concord and play an even better private school in C-let and lose by 40. Didn’t last weeks pool play just prove that they are a notch below SI and SHC?? Why would they be placed in the same division? Makes no sense.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Doc Schepler is a great *shooting* coach. The Panthers have a soph PG that shoots the three like Hannah Jump & Elle Ladine.
I gotta say, I was at their game and watching them warm up and if I didn’t know who doc was already, I would not have guessed “shooting expert” by the way a lot of them shot. I don’t know the sophomore you’re referring, but I personally did not see anyone that resembled either of those 2 shooters. Didn’t seem like this team was anywhere near the level of some of the PW teams of recent history. Some of you saw that already and good call in that. Exciting way to start off March madness a little early

Reactions: GBBall4L
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT