ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2018 - San Jose Merc All Bay Area Team

34-20 Bells Final. Bells march down the field to put the game away late in the 4th. It was an entertaining game and only a 7 point Bells lead heading to the 4th. Poor tackling, poor kickoffs and OLpenalties again doom the Crusaders.

Last edited:
As of tonight, looks like the same old song we've been humming for several years: SF, Serra, VC as apparent front-runners in the WCAL until someone below them actually registers an upset. This arrangement was predicted at the end of the 2017 season by several posting persons. So nothing new.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Riordan had a shot against the Bells and watching the first part of game the Bells were not looking particularly good.
SF as I'd expected slowly ground down the undermanned S.I. team based upon roster strength & depth. S.I. not a bad team at all except they are in the WCAL. I was hoping for my "dark horse" Mitty to put on a credible showing, but the difference in scheduling of pre-season opponents showed the real difference between these 2 teams -see my pre-game post]. As it stands now IMO there is SF/Serra, then VC & then the other 5 teams in no particular order as of yet.

Reactions: jordan24
Riordan was in the game until the end. Crusader Rb, Camp, went out with an ankle injury, came back in the 2nd half but was not the same. Abdelghani misfired in the second half as well. Give credit to the Bells D tho as they shut out Riordan in the 2nd half and cut down on the big plays they gave up early on.

I suggest running clock and playing the 2nd string vs SF next week for SH. Our season like most seasons is to just beat SI. Need healthy bodies in order to have a chance. What little I watched of the game I saw the most unimaginative offense by VC. Run dive, wing sweep, repeat repeat repeat. On the other side, effort was there by SH until maybe 24-7. Likely just got sick of VC running the same damn play over and over because it’s 4 yards every time. Coach Mac just needs to do trickeration imho. Teams know this year with no Irons back there to sling it around, they can stack the box and Speedy has no way of breaking one. Try something else. This isn’t running plays against Homestead.

I suggest running clock and playing the 2nd string vs SF next week for SH. Our season like most seasons is to just beat SI. Need healthy bodies in order to have a chance. What little I watched of the game I saw the most unimaginative offense by VC. Run dive, wing sweep, repeat repeat repeat. On the other side, effort was there by SH until maybe 24-7. Likely just got sick of VC running the same damn play over and over because it’s 4 yards every time. Coach Mac just needs to do trickeration imho. Teams know this year with no Irons back there to sling it around, they can stack the box and Speedy has no way of breaking one. Try something else. This isn’t running plays against Homestead.

I agree. The VC offense was putting me to sleep. They usually have a D-1 class RB. Not this year. Plus the QB missing wide open receivers. If defenses stack the box on VC will be in trouble. VC's defense looked good, but they can't do it all.

Reactions: FBAddict
I am seeing a fairly large gap between SF/Serra and then VC as the #3 team in WCAL. With VC' style of offense, short gain RB's and no real passing attack I believe the Warrior's will be in it deep vs the Lancer's and Padres.

All the games went according to form IMO with the exception of Mitty-Serra. There was a lot of buzz that Mitty could be a darkhorse and at least have a close game with the Padres. Anyone at the game care to provide their thoughts/comments?

All the games went according to form IMO with the exception of Mitty-Serra. There was a lot of buzz that Mitty could be a darkhorse and at least have a close game with the Padres. Anyone at the game care to provide their thoughts/comments?
Serra was dominant in every aspect of the game. The offense is beginning to roll and will be difficult to stop. The Mitty QB is good, but the supporting cast is limited. Serra Defense was dominant with guys coming off injuries. Serra will win league again and Mitty will be .500 in league at best.

I agree. The VC offense was putting me to sleep. They usually have a D-1 class RB. Not this year. Plus the QB missing wide open receivers. If defenses stack the box on VC will be in trouble. VC's defense looked good, but they can't do it all.

In fairness to VC and its coaches, they do what their talent allows. And, if they execute their stuff and secure the melon (no turnovers), they have a shot at dominating time of possession, using strong special teams and a tough defense to keep the scores down vs. SF and Serra. With a break or two against those two and utilizing a conservative style of play, maybe the Warriors will have a shot at one or both. Perhaps not. But, given the VC skill position kids, that's probably the best way to go at this point. And that's not criticism. It's respect for what Machado and his players have done for many years. Their WCAL title banners are testament to that.

WCAL Football 2018 - Friday Nite Scores

Serra 42-6 over Mitty
Bells 34-20 over Riordan
SF 31-6 over S.I.
VC 45-7 over SHC

Rmbr26 Predictions
Serra 45-21 over Mitty
Bells 27-14 over Riordan
SF 35-14 over S.I.
VC 35-14 over SHC

Serra-Mitty: Bottari 10/10 passing in 1rst 1/2 as Padres go up 35-0 at the 1/2. Bottari in for 3 plays of 2nd 1/2 finishing 12/13 passing before back-up QB takes over. Serra RB Sanchez had big game both rushing and catching passes scoring 3 TD's. Running clock in 2nd 1/2 and while Mitty has one of better QB's in WCAL in Shamir Bey they do not have the depth at the other positions. Not quite as bad as last years' 2 games between these 2 teams, but most fans were hoping for a more competitive game.

Bells-Riordan: Crusader's played Bells tough in first 1/2 and score was 21-20 headed towards 1/2 when Bells scored again to to make it 27-20 at the 1/2. Bells score once more in 2nd 1/2 whle shutting out the Crusader offense for final 2 score win 34-20. Most points scored by Bells this season in 4 games and Bellarmine came in averaging just over 9 PPG. The question was Riordan was their defense which gave up 27 in 1rst 1/2. Both teams seemed to make adjustments at the intermission, but the Crusader offense disappeared in the 2nd 1/2. I'd thought at the 1/2 that with Riordan's playmakers they still had a shot being down by only 1 score. Who out there thought Riordan had the better playmakers on offense? Bells coach Janda perhaps won this chess game adjusting to contain Riordan's O in 2nd 1/2.

SF-S.I. Tone for this game was set early as S.I. throws an INT in first play from scrimmage in the game, Under pressure from SF defense S.I.'s QB attempted to throw what looked like a screen pass, which unfortunately went to a Lancer lineman. 2 plays later SF scores first TD with a predictable 17-yard pass to Evan Williams [which S.I. should have doubled all night long]. S.I. had a beautiful 92-yard drive end of 1rst quarter highlighted bya 60-yard run by RB Jahsai Shannon to make the score SF 7-6. THe Lancers then settled down and engineered 2 drives both resulting in TD's by RB Nick Robinson to make the score 21-6 at 1/2. The Lancer's scored another TD and FG in the 2nd 1/2 while completely shutting down the S.I. offense. SF was predictable with their steady offense using a power running game for short gains along with a short passing game. SF doesn't have the big play offense with the exception of Evan Williams and while other teams know what to expect its a difficult offense to stop. And then there is the Lancer D.

VC-SHC like Serra-Mitty I was hoping for a closer contest from the Irish. With Palma's loss to Salinas last night the close game SHC had with Palma [17-14] now has much less significance. VC unlike previous years' does not possess a big play RB and instead shuffles a number of RB's using a limited number of plays [highly predictable].
The game started well for the Irish recovering a fumble and scoring the first TD of the game to go up 7-0. Unfortunately SHC would not score again in the game. The Irish gave it their best effort in the first 1/2 and only trailed by 10-7 at intermission. The VC defensive line held SHC RB Anthony Heard in check and with little passing game to speak of SHC was doomed. The Irish used 2 QB's although both are playing their first year of football if I'm correct. Both QB's threw INT's which resulted in further VC scoring. As with SF & Serra rosters this VC team was simply too deep and too physical for SHC as the game wore on. 10-7 VC in 1rst 1/2 and then 35-0 VC in 2nd 1/2.

Reactions: Streak One
WCAL Football 2018 - Friday Nite Scores

Serra 42-6 over Mitty
Bells 34-20 over Riordan
SF 31-6 over S.I.
VC 45-7 over SHC

Rmbr26 Predictions
Serra 45-21 over Mitty
Bells 27-14 over Riordan
SF 35-14 over S.I.
VC 35-14 over SHC

Serra-Mitty: Bottari 10/10 passing in 1rst 1/2 as Padres go up 35-0 at the 1/2. Bottari in for 3 plays of 2nd 1/2 finishing 12/13 passing before back-up QB takes over. Serra RB Sanchez had big game both rushing and catching passes scoring 3 TD's. Running clock in 2nd 1/2 and while Mitty has one of better QB's in WCAL in Shamir Bey they do not have the depth at the other positions. Not quite as bad as last years' 2 games between these 2 teams, but most fans were hoping for a more competitive game.

Bells-Riordan: Crusader's played Bells tough in first 1/2 and score was 21-20 headed towards 1/2 when Bells scored again to to make it 27-20 at the 1/2. Bells score once more in 2nd 1/2 whle shutting out the Crusader offense for final 2 score win 34-20. Most points scored by Bells this season in 4 games and Bellarmine came in averaging just over 9 PPG. The question was Riordan was their defense which gave up 27 in 1rst 1/2. Both teams seemed to make adjustments at the intermission, but the Crusader offense disappeared in the 2nd 1/2. I'd thought at the 1/2 that with Riordan's playmakers they still had a shot being down by only 1 score. Who out there thought Riordan had the better playmakers on offense? Bells coach Janda perhaps won this chess game adjusting to contain Riordan's O in 2nd 1/2.

SF-S.I. Tone for this game was set early as S.I. throws an INT in first play from scrimmage in the game, Under pressure from SF defense S.I.'s QB attempted to throw what looked like a screen pass, which unfortunately went to a Lancer lineman. 2 plays later SF scores first TD with a predictable 17-yard pass to Evan Williams [which S.I. should have doubled all night long]. S.I. had a beautiful 92-yard drive end of 1rst quarter highlighted bya 60-yard run by RB Jahsai Shannon to make the score SF 7-6. THe Lancers then settled down and engineered 2 drives both resulting in TD's by RB Nick Robinson to make the score 21-6 at 1/2. The Lancer's scored another TD and FG in the 2nd 1/2 while completely shutting down the S.I. offense. SF was predictable with their steady offense using a power running game for short gains along with a short passing game. SF doesn't have the big play offense with the exception of Evan Williams and while other teams know what to expect its a difficult offense to stop. And then there is the Lancer D.

VC-SHC like Serra-Mitty I was hoping for a closer contest from the Irish. With Palma's loss to Salinas last night the close game SHC had with Palma [17-14] now has much less significance. VC unlike previous years' does not possess a big play RB and instead shuffles a number of RB's using a limited number of plays [highly predictable].
The game started well for the Irish recovering a fumble and scoring the first TD of the game to go up 7-0. Unfortunately SHC would not score again in the game. The Irish gave it their best effort in the first 1/2 and only trailed by 10-7 at intermission. The VC defensive line held SHC RB Anthony Heard in check and with little passing game to speak of SHC was doomed. The Irish used 2 QB's although both are playing their first year of football if I'm correct. Both QB's threw INT's which resulted in further VC scoring. As with SF & Serra rosters this VC team was simply too deep and too physical for SHC as the game wore on. 10-7 VC in 1rst 1/2 and then 35-0 VC in 2nd 1/2.
Watched the Bell-Riordan game. Riordan had some transfers play I believe. They look very athletic but just don’t have the numbers and tired in 2nd half. In terms of playmakers, Bell qb and rb outplayed Riordan counterparts. Unofficial qb stats for Bell #7 Mingrone - 10/15, 143 yrds, TD (50yrds),80 rush yrds 1 td - no TO, Bell rb #10 Garcia 3 tds about 120 yrds rushing. Again these are my unofficial estimates.

Watched the Bell-Riordan game. Riordan had some transfers play I believe. They look very athletic but just don’t have the numbers and tired in 2nd half. In terms of playmakers, Bell qb and rb outplayed Riordan counterparts. Unofficial qb stats for Bell #7 Mingrone - 10/15, 143 yrds, TD (50yrds),80 rush yrds 1 td - no TO, Bell rb #10 Garcia 3 tds about 120 yrds rushing. Again these are my unofficial estimates.

I had not yet looked up the game stats drdiablo86, but those stats you're quoting for Bell QB Mingrone and RB Garcia are quite good. Again it was Bell's best game offensively this season and defense was able to shut-out a pretty good Riordan offense in the 2nd 1/2.

10-7 VC at half. This VC team is very underwhelming.

I got that impression also, based on past teams. I was surprised (i.e., aggravated to an extreme degree) that the Irish didn't at least try a few long bombs to the end zone before the half. Too many mistakes, INT's, two-way players, lack of depth and inexperience were factors.
SHC did have a good turnout. I'm surprised there were less than 50 on the VC side.

VC won the Frosh game 28-21. Irish have some size and talent on this team.

Last edited:
Until Machado and Co changes their offensive strategy to something a little more aggressive and passion-driven, VC is going to be good only to a point. Machado's had his best years in the early 2000's but now it seems he is satisfied with being a winning program instead of the BEST program. He did better when things were easier and he was progressing through the middle ranks quickly. Now that he must compete with the top programs in NorCal, he's not so hungry anymore. Good coach but his best days are behind him. Just my opinion!

But hey, anyone can remake themselves if they want to bad enough.

In fairness to VC and its coaches, they do what their talent allows. And, if they execute their stuff and secure the melon (no turnovers), they have a shot at dominating time of possession, using strong special teams and a tough defense to keep the scores down vs. SF and Serra. With a break or two against those two and utilizing a conservative style of play, maybe the Warriors will have a shot at one or both. Perhaps not. But, given the VC skill position kids, that's probably the best way to go at this point. And that's not criticism. It's respect for what Machado and his players have done for many years. Their WCAL title banners are testament to that.
I agree with you only to a point. But where the days where Machado and Co pushed players to their highest level of performance. VC used to perform better than their given talent would suggest. Now, more often than not, they are perform slightly to greatly below what their talent dictates. That issue is what I place directly on Machado's shoulders.

No Riordan transfers played but they will next week. An injured player and a player who came out late ( who played sparingly) suited up. Riordan just wore down and the Bells made great adjustments at the half.

I believe 5 transfers become eligible for the Crusaders next week. Don't think they are game changers but are players that can contribute and adds to the team's depth.
Interesting - I heard there were more JV Crusaders suited up than Bellarmine and Riordan has only 34 and I was told Bellarmine only suited up 24. Riordan's soph QB Azan Ledbetter, was placed on JVs in order to get game snaps. He can also play OLB or Safety. Bellarmine fans said he was the key player in their 42-16 defeat yesterday.
Today's SF Examiner mentioned an SHC transfer from SI becomes eligible. He's a soph QB. Surprised to hear that both current senior Irish QBs are playing football for the first time ever!
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sf-preps-game-week-sacred-heart-cathedral-stumbles-wcal-opener/

Interesting note going forward: Serra's WCAL varsity roster lists nine sophomores right now. That's 15 percent of the 59-man roster. This is a rebuild within another run at a league title. It's also a reason the Padres' JV team is struggling.

Last edited:
I believe 5 transfers become eligible for the Crusaders next week. Don't think they are game changers but are players that can contribute and adds to the team's depth.
Interesting - I heard there were more JV Crusaders suited up than Bellarmine and Riordan has only 34 and I was told Bellarmine only suited up 24. Riordan's soph QB Azan Ledbetter, was placed on JVs in order to get game snaps. He can also play OLB or Safety. Bellarmine fans said he was the key player in their 42-16 defeat yesterday.
Today's SF Examiner mentioned an SHC transfer from SI becomes eligible. He's a soph QB. Surprised to hear that both current senior Irish QBs are playing football for the first time ever!
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sf-preps-game-week-sacred-heart-cathedral-stumbles-wcal-opener/

Not sure how SH wants to play this with their QB situation. Next week vs SF will not be pretty and if they want Dowling to get enough snaps to be ready for the BM game the following week, then he’s going to have to get thrown in the fire against the Lancers. Monoco and Sweeters just don’t have the arm strength. Their only pass play is a 3 yard out to Watkins. There is nothing down field that isn’t a wobbly duck. I think they have a better chance running half back screen and just let Speedy make something happen.

[B said:
"iamgearyblvd[/B], post: 209430, member: 1806"]Not sure how SH wants to play this with their QB situation. Next week vs SF will not be pretty and if they want Dowling to get enough snaps to be ready for the BM game the following week, then he’s going to have to get thrown in the fire against the Lancers. Monoco and Sweeters just don’t have the arm strength. Their only pass play is a 3 yard out to Watkins. There is nothing down field that isn’t a wobbly duck. I think they have a better chance running half back screen and just let Speedy make something happen.

From your depiction of the passing game or "non-passing game" and lack of both arm strength and playing time experience of the 2 QB's the SHC coaches need to revisit their strategy on offense and possibly go to the most basic offensive schemes. If SHC lacks the ability to pass other than " a 3 yard out" then the opposing team is going to disregard that aspect almost altogether. By using any type of "spread offense" the Irish are wasting 2-3 players using their WR's as "decoys". Why not go to a "double wing" style offense such as Serra & Bells have employed and use rugby type plays to gain some yardage. Other options would be either the "single wing" or even a "pro set" with a conventional full backfield. Perhaps more RB's along with the QB would create a bit more confusion on the defensive side of the ball [ie: especially with a smaller team of offense its harder to locate the person carrying the ball]. What's surprising to me is how reluctant some coaching staffs are to changing up formations/plays when what they're doing simply isn't working. VC is a good example in that for some time now they've used the same plays focusing on a run game with no real passing game. It seems to work great against the weaker teams, but fails against the better higher scoring teams.
Once VC gets behind in a game and without a breakaway RB or passing game its difficult for the Warrior's to come from behind [IMO].

From your depiction of the passing game or "non-passing game" and lack of both arm strength and playing time experience of the 2 QB's the SHC coaches need to revisit their strategy on offense and possibly go to the most basic offensive schemes. If SHC lacks the ability to pass other than " a 3 yard out" then the opposing team is going to disregard that aspect almost altogether. By using any type of "spread offense" the Irish are wasting 2-3 players using their WR's as "decoys". Why not go to a "double wing" style offense such as Serra & Bells have employed and use rugby type plays to gain some yardage. Other options would be either the "single wing" or even a "pro set" with a conventional full backfield. Perhaps more RB's along with the QB would create a bit more confusion on the defensive side of the ball [ie: especially with a smaller team of offense its harder to locate the person carrying the ball]. What's surprising to me is how reluctant some coaching staffs are to changing up formations/plays when what they're doing simply isn't working. VC is a good example in that for some time now they've used the same plays focusing on a run game with no real passing game. It seems to work great against the weaker teams, but fails against the better higher scoring teams.
Once VC gets behind in a game and without a breakaway RB or passing game its difficult for the Warrior's to come from behind [IMO].

One more time re VC: Machado and his staff believe in keeping things relatively simple and executing their stuff at a high level. In other words, no muss, no fuss, nothing too fancy or risky. Time of possession. Limiting turnovers. Field position. Sound defense. Old school prep football. Warriors have grabbed a bunch of WCAL titles this way. If they have solid talent (and at least one bell cow at RB) that approach has been very successful for them. Typically, they get better as a season goes on. Which makes sense. Practice makes perfect (well, nearly so).

Last edited:
One more time re VC: Machado and his staff believe in keeping things relatively simple and executing their stuff at a high level. In other words, no muss, no fuss, nothing too fancy or risky. Time of possession. Limiting turnovers. Field position. Sound defense. Old school prep football. Warriors have grabbed a bunch of WCAL titles this way. If they have solid talent (and at least one bell cow at RB) that approach has been very successful for them. Typically, they get better as a season goes on. Which makes sense. Practice makes perfect (well, nearly so).

I agree, but without their usual D1 back or two they may need to mix it up. Unfortunately from what I saw in their feeble passing game the other night it will be a struggle if they fall behind by a couple of scores. Their passing looked as bad as I have ever seen it, and I have been following them for many many years. Maybe it was just an off night. Hope so.

Valley Christian 2018 Record 3-1 [lost to Wilcox 10-6]

Below previous 5 seasons:

Season 2017
Record 9-3, 2nd Place WCAL
* Lost to Manteca 22-20
* Lost to Serra regular season 35-7
* Lost to Serra post season 35-7

Season 2016
Record 13-2 Tied for 1rst Place WCAL with Serra & SF
* Lost to SF 13-10
* Lost to Madison 21-17 in state final

Season 2015
Record 8-4 Tied for 3rd Place WCAL
* Lost to SF 21-16
* Lost to Bells 24-21
* Lost to Serra 42-21
* Lost to Oak Grove post-season 42-23

Season 2014
Record 9-3 Tied for 1rst Place with Serra
* Lost to Milpitas 31-17
* Lost to Serra 24-10
* Lost to Bells post season 21-18

Season 2013
Record 8-4, 3rd Place WCAL
* Lost to Vacaville 20-17
* Lost to Mitty 14-13
* Lost to Serra 28-7
* Lost to Mitty post season 37-7

Results over 5 Sesons:
* Tied for 1rst Place in WCAL 3 Times
* Total losses = 17 incl Serra [5], SF [2], Bells [2], Mitty [2]
* Most Points scored by VC in 17 losses was 23.
* Avg Points scored by VC in 17 losses = 11.5 PPG
* Avg Points scored by opponents = 18.5
* Avg differential of scores in 17 losses = 7 Points

* Conclusion: In 2018 as with previous recent seasons' if the opposing team can score 21 points they stand a very good chance in defeating the VC Warrior's.

Last edited:
Since 2002 when VC joined the WCAL (making it the Mostly Catholic Athletic League), the Warriors have won or shared six varsity football titles, just under 40 percent of the available crowns during that period. For some perspective, since the founding of the WCAL in 1967, the three SF schools have a combined five championship banners. So kudos to VC for doing the job without a whole lot of sexy, attractive offensive onslaughts. Sometimes, the boring, gritty approach (with talent) just gets the job done.

Dang! Just realized a large portion of my previous post on Valley Christian got omitted which colhenry responded to [guess I did in too much of a hurry]. Anyway colhenry is a steadfast supporter of the VC system while I on the other hand think VC is losing ground to Serra & SF in the passing dept in recent years'. Doesn't matter as we'll both agree VC is still a very solid team and one of the top programs in WCAL.
So will VC take down either SF or Serra this season or will it be "3-yards & a cloud of dust" for the Warrior's this season?

As I mentioned in my Bells-Crusader game summary, I thought it was interesting to see that Coach Janda opened the game with a spread offense. Both teams could not stop each other and I thought this could be another high-scoring shootout like the 2015 record-breaking Riordan-Serra game. Lol!
And it was very smart that he went back to the double wing in the second half to milk the clock. Add the defensive adjustments the Bells made in combination to RIordan's ill-timed penalties, the Riordan D tiring and Abdelghani suddenly misfiring in the second half it was, as they say, ball game.

Dang! Just realized a large portion of my previous post on Valley Christian got omitted which colhenry responded to [guess I did in too much of a hurry]. Anyway colhenry is a steadfast supporter of the VC system while I on the other hand think VC is losing ground to Serra & SF in the passing dept in recent years'. Doesn't matter as we'll both agree VC is still a very solid team and one of the top programs in WCAL.
So will VC take down either SF or Serra this season or will it be "3-yards & a cloud of dust" for the Warrior's this season?

The choice appears to be (again) the traditional offensive approach. We should note that VC lost to a very strong Wilcox team in the 2018 opener 10-7. It was a loss for VC. But the old formula nearly worked again vs. a tough foe. With minimal miscues/turnovers and strong execution in all three phases of the game, VC can be competitive with SF and Serra. Beating one or both of them sans a truly impact player does not seem likely. VC would need a lot of things to go right to upset either of those two favorites. By the way, it helps to have a gifted QB if you want to run a passing offense. So, if you don't have such a kid, the conservative approach is the better part of valor. Why take risks if potential disaster awaits? That's been the VC mantra for a long time. And it's been successful more often than not.

You're correct in your perspective for at least this season colhenry in that VC may have no choice but to stick to that offensive approach simply due to no productive passing game [ie: impact QB and WR's]. I stated this approach as to SHC and their lack of passing game due to splitting time between 2 first year QB's. Against VC the 2 SHC QB's primarily only attempted extremely short passes and both threw INT's. Here's part of my post:

"From your depiction of the passing game or "non-passing game" and lack of both arm strength and playing time experience of the 2 QB's the SHC coaches need to revisit their strategy on offense and possibly go to the most basic offensive schemes. If SHC lacks the ability to pass other than " a 3 yard out" then the opposing team is going to disregard that aspect almost altogether. By using any type of "spread offense" the Irish are wasting 2-3 players using their WR's as "decoys". Why not go to a "double wing" style offense such as Serra & Bells have employed and use rugby type plays to gain some yardage. Other options would be either the "single wing" or even a "pro set" with a conventional full backfield. Perhaps more RB's along with the QB would create a bit more confusion on the defensive side of the ball [ie: especially with a smaller team of offense its harder to locate the person carrying the ball]."

WCAL Football 2018

Update on CCS Top 20 teams and which of those made it into the NorCal Top 20 teams according to Freeman’s statistical ratings/rankings. At the very beginning of the season many of the teams are ranked either too high or too low. Now that teams have played 4-6 games the rankings are starting to stabilize and sort out. [Again] these are computer generated rankings and not something I came up with late last nite after several brewski’s. Aside from minor shuffling they both look about right. Anyone spot a team much too high or low?

* CCS Teams ranked in both Top 20’s in BOLD

Top 20 CCS Teams:
1. St. Francis 3-1
2. Serra 2-2

3. Palo Alto 5-0
4. Wilcox 5-0
5. Valley Christian 3-1
6. Aptos 4-0
7. Mitty 2-2
8. Menlo-Atherton 2-2
9. Terra Nova 5-0
10. Live Oak 4-0
11. Carmel 4-0
12. Salinas 2-1
13. Palma 3-1
14. SHP 5-0
15. St. Ignatius 0-4
16. Burlingame 3-2
17. Oak Grove 2-2
18. Overfelt 4-0
19. King’s Academy 3-1
20. Alisal 3-2

NorCal Top 20 Teams:
1. DLS 6-0
2. Folsom 4-1
3. Buchanan 4-1
4. Central Fresno 5-0
5. Liberty 6-0
6. Pitt 4-2
7. Monterey Trail 5-0
8. Oak Ridge 4-1
9. St. Francis 3-1
10. Del Oro 6-0
11. Serra 2-2
12. CVC 4-1
13. Central Catholic 5-1
14. Inderkum 5-0
15. Capital Christian 6-0
16. Placer 5-0
17. Card Newman 4-1
18. Freedom 5-1
19. Antioch 5-1
20. Tulare Union 5-0

* NorCal teams on the “bubble” of the Top 20:
California 4-1, St. Mary’s 1-4, Rancho Cotate 5-0, Palo Alto 5-0, Wilcox 5-0, Jesuit 3-2, Sheldon 5-1, Eureka 6-0

WCAL Football 2018

Update on CCS Top 20 teams and which of those made it into the NorCal Top 20 teams according to Freeman’s statistical ratings/rankings. At the very beginning of the season many of the teams are ranked either too high or too low. Now that teams have played 4-6 games the rankings are starting to stabilize and sort out. [Again] these are computer generated rankings and not something I came up with late last nite after several brewski’s. Aside from minor shuffling they both look about right. Anyone spot a team much too high or low?

* CCS Teams ranked in both Top 20’s in BOLD

Top 20 CCS Teams:
1. St. Francis 3-1
2. Serra 2-2

3. Palo Alto 5-0
4. Wilcox 5-0
5. Valley Christian 3-1
6. Aptos 4-0
7. Mitty 2-2
8. Menlo-Atherton 2-2
9. Terra Nova 5-0
10. Live Oak 4-0
11. Carmel 4-0
12. Salinas 2-1
13. Palma 3-1
14. SHP 5-0
15. St. Ignatius 0-4
16. Burlingame 3-2
17. Oak Grove 2-2
18. Overfelt 4-0
19. King’s Academy 3-1
20. Alisal 3-2

NorCal Top 20 Teams:
1. DLS 6-0
2. Folsom 4-1
3. Buchanan 4-1
4. Central Fresno 5-0
5. Liberty 6-0
6. Pitt 4-2
7. Monterey Trail 5-0
8. Oak Ridge 4-1
9. St. Francis 3-1
10. Del Oro 6-0
11. Serra 2-2
12. CVC 4-1
13. Central Catholic 5-1
14. Inderkum 5-0
15. Capital Christian 6-0
16. Placer 5-0
17. Card Newman 4-1
18. Freedom 5-1
19. Antioch 5-1
20. Tulare Union 5-0

* NorCal teams on the “bubble” of the Top 20:
California 4-1, St. Mary’s 1-4, Rancho Cotate 5-0, Palo Alto 5-0, Wilcox 5-0, Jesuit 3-2, Sheldon 5-1, Eureka 6-0

Memo to El Rambo: There is absolutely nothing wrong with the occasional brewski. In fact, a frequent brewski can work wonders after a tough day in front of a computer screen.

I got that impression also, based on past teams. I was surprised (i.e., aggravated to an extreme degree) that the Irish didn't at least try a few long bombs to the end zone before the half. Too many mistakes, INT's, two-way players, lack of depth and inexperience were factors.
SHC did have a good turnout. I'm surprised there were less than 50 on the VC side.

VC won the Frosh game 28-21. Irish have some size and talent on this team.
Serra Frosh team is best team we've had in 30 years. The line has 4 kids over 310 and they can move and play. QB is junior DeShaun Watson...amazing in 30 point win over talented Frosh Pittsburg team.

Serra Frosh team is best team we've had in 30 years. The line has 4 kids over 310 and they can move and play. QB is junior DeShaun Watson...amazing in 30 point win over talented Frosh Pittsburg team.

Sounds like some of those youngsters will be playing on the 2019 Serra varsity. Latest 2018 varsity roster shows 6-9 sophomores, depending on the online site. So 2019 no doubt will present a young Serra varsity. A re-load rather than a re-build perhaps.

Sounds like some of those youngsters will be playing on the 2019 Serra varsity. Latest 2018 varsity roster shows 6-9 sophomores, depending on the online site. So 2019 no doubt will present a young Serra varsity. A re-load rather than a re-build perhaps.

Will have 10 Sophomores next year on varsity. No doubt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT