ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2018 - San Jose Merc All Bay Area Team

[QUOTE="ARHS Stats, post: 209857, member: 112"]Bellarmine is passing more this season.

After Bellarmine vs. Riordan Game, I have Bellarmine's QB Mingrone having passed for 469 yards on 40 passes completed out 82 passes attempted, with 4 TDs and 4 INTs. Mingrone has rushed for 166 yards for 41.5 yards per game. He has completed 48.8% of his passes. Bellarmine has about 58 more rushing yards than passing yards.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing that info ARHS Stats. Question: does anyone know if the WCAL requires the team coaches to submit their stats for each game or for the season upon completion?

Also the Serra-Bellarmine game will be broadcast tomorrow at 1:00 PM http://baosn.tv/

Back in the mid 1970s team statisticians would submit individual leaders to a very nice man at st francis, len smith, and he would compile league leaders. This was well before maxpreps or the Internet.

Dr Jeffries from SI also provided comprehensive stats back in the day. I remember his stats /program during the SI-Riordan hoops dynasties in the 80’s

One does have to wonder when (or if) the administration and alumni at Bellarmine will decide that, yes, high-quality football still does have a role on that Jesuit campus. For now, it's not clear at all. Another grim season and regular WCAL bashings by rivals south of San Francisco may clarify things. Perhaps soon. Let's see.
Bellarmine has a new AD who is an 80's era alum and former athlete. Probably a step in the right direction.

Impressive stat info. Where did you find those? Thanks for posting.

Riordan played Bellarmine, last week.

I watched the Bellarmine games given to Riordan, and I did the stats for Bellarmine's 3 non-league games from the Video.
Then I added in my stats from the Riordan vs. Bellarmine Game.

[QUOTE="ARHS Stats, post: 209857, member: 112"]Bellarmine is passing more this season.

After Bellarmine vs. Riordan Game, I have Bellarmine's QB Mingrone having passed for 469 yards on 40 passes completed out 82 passes attempted, with 4 TDs and 4 INTs. Mingrone has rushed for 166 yards for 41.5 yards per game. He has completed 48.8% of his passes. Bellarmine has about 58 more rushing yards than passing yards.

Thanks for sharing that info ARHS Stats. Question: does anyone know if the WCAL requires the team coaches to submit their stats for each game or for the season upon completion?

Also the Serra-Bellarmine game will be broadcast tomorrow at 1:00 PM http://baosn.tv/[/QUOTE]

Since 2011 or so, only scores need to be reported to the WCAL Sports Information Director. No stats are reported to the League by game or by season.
When the change occurred it was hoped for that the school teams (FB, BskB, BasB, SB, VB, WP, Soccer, Tennis, and T & F ) would post their stats and results to MaxPreps.

Thanks ARHS Stats for explanation. I didn't realize it'd been 7 years since the change in reporting stats to WCAL. When the change first occurred only Bells were not reporting & I was keeping track week to week from watching their games and scorebox details. Then I guess about 3-4 seasons ago as S.I. was entering a downturn in their success on the gridiron that team also stopped submitting all relevant stats. Its unfortunate as its easy & not time consuming - any student or parent given the OK by coach could post them. The down side to Bells & S.I. not posting is their players do not get the recognition for accomplishments in having a good/great game or being one of the top players in any given category [other than their immediate team members knowing]. I know this cannot be popular with the players on those 2 teams seeing the other 6 teams all posting their players stats. Over last couple seasons I've gotten a few posts for not acknowledging specific players on those 2 teams [the posts likely from either a player of father I'm guessing & can't say I blame them]. Topic threads & Posts talking stats & players by name show up in the search engines such as Google for any number of reasons when a person runs a search - so Bells & S.I. are limiting the exposure of their players in that respect [ie: its like they're not even playing to some extent].

So a man in Mountain View in 1974, armed with a rotary phone and a typewriter and aided by genial stat-keepers at the various schools, managed to compile more comprehensive league stats than we do in 2018 even though we now have cell phones, laptops, fax machines, MaxPreps etc. at our disposal. Makes sense.

So a man in Mountain View in 1974, armed with a rotary phone and a typewriter and aided by genial stat-keepers at the various schools, managed to compile more comprehensive league stats than we do in 2018 even though we now have cell phones, laptops, fax machines, MaxPreps etc. at our disposal. Makes sense.

Laughed when I saw your post berdooman though a different era prior to cell ph's, laptops, faxes, etc. etc. These days as the last of the large newspapers are gasping to stay alive, if no one reports HS sports such as stats online then they simply "don't exist". It was less than 10 years ago the San Mateo County Times [now part of "BANG"] on Saturdays would have the front page of the sports section headlines with the Friday nite scores of HS football games and articles below taking up most of page & continued on other pages with pictures. All that is unfortunately gone.
The younger generations ["Millenials & Centennials"] either quit or never read newspapers. The sports coverage via newspapers lessened until next to nothing except for some "limited coverage" by the San Jose Merc & Chron. So as to the guy in 1974? Well you could look in any newspaper out there and find coverage on not only varsity games, but JV & frosh as well and usually with complete stats [yes - actual write-ups on JV & Frosh games of a paragraph or so]. All the "major" sports were covered in the 70's & 80's and even into the 90's. Having followed sports I remember the results of every track meet in San Mateo County had the results in the SM Times and there was great coverage in Merc & Chron.
So again Bells & S.I. fans/players, if you don't report how your teams players performed then no one outside the persons' at the game will likely know.

SF Lancer's 14-0 over SHC Irish heading into the 4th. Not what I was expecting & SHC has played surprisingly well - on defense that is. SHC's offense has been non-existent and left D on field far too long. Have to say numerous coaching calls on Irish side have me shaking my head. Many of SFs run plays are completely predictable using RB Fangupo yet SHC defensive coaches make no adjusments [?]. On offensive side of ball some of SHC's calls are making me cringe - 3rd & around 20 & a QB keeper & the SHC QB falls down at line of scrimmage - 3rd time falling down without any contact? Unfortunate as SHC Irish look like they have talent and would win many of the CCS leagues out there. SHC QB Dowling looks cool in the pocket and with some experience could be good, but def not a scrambler. Penalties not helping Irish.

Last edited:
SF Lancer's 14-0 over SHC Irish heading into the 4th. Not what I was expecting & SHC has played surprisingly well - on defense that is. SHC's offense has been non-existent and left D on field fat too long. Have to say numerous coaching calls on Irish side have me shaking my head. Many of SFs run plays are completely predictable using RB Fangupo yet SHC defensive coaches make no adjusments [?]. On offensive side of ball some of SHC's calls are making me cringe - 3rd & around 20 & a QB keeper & the SHC QB falls down at line of scrimmage - 3rd time falling down without any contact? Unfortunate as SHC Irish look like they have talent and would win many of the CCS leagues out there. SHC QB Dowling looks cool in the pocket and with some experience could be good, but def not a scrambler. Penalties not helping Irish.

Yep, agree...but the St Francis defense was huge, I think a lot bigger than VC..the D line dressed in the whites made them look like college players. But historically, anytime SHC can lose less against St. Francis, it is as close as it gets to a moral victory. To the players, take whatever you can take out of this game, and practice hard to beat the only team we truly care historically care about. Then if you do that, we can take that momentum and find a couple of more wins for the season.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Agree with the chalky picks. For the most part I'd like to see SH get out of there without any significant injuries to their starters. Ideally SF gets out to a 21-0 lead and then SH pull the starters and start the running clock. SF should follow suit or vice versa and pull the starters. SF unlike some fellow league teams is classy and hardly ever runs up the score. So it will be interesting to see how SH plays this with Bruce Mahoney next week.
So glad you were wrong. St. Francis has good defense but so do the Irish. Of course the refs had to throw a flag on a big gain. What else is new? They also threw one on us when a pass play was clearly offensive interference.

Oh, and find out who's selecting the music out there. They played cheap rap, then AC/DC, followed by "Take Me Home, Country Roads"... Ugh!

Last edited:
What happened to SF Quarterback, Jack Perry? Sounds like an injury and I don't think he played tonight?

SF Lancer's 14-0 over SHC Irish heading into the 4th. Not what I was expecting & SHC has played surprisingly well - on defense that is. SHC's offense has been non-existent and left D on field fat too long. Have to say numerous coaching calls on Irish side have me shaking my head. Many of SFs run plays are completely predictable using RB Fangupo yet SHC defensive coaches make no adjusments [?]. On offensive side of ball some of SHC's calls are making me cringe - 3rd & around 20 & a QB keeper & the SHC QB falls down at line of scrimmage - 3rd time falling down without any contact? Unfortunate as SHC Irish look like they have talent and would win many of the CCS leagues out there. SHC QB Dowling looks cool in the pocket and with some experience could be good, but def not a scrambler. Penalties not helping Irish.
It was hard to protect the QB with that defense all over the place.

So glad you were wrong. St. Francis has good defense but so do the Irish. Of course the refs had to throw a flag on a big gain. What else is new?

Give Irish defense credit for their tremendous effort. But really the score did not indicate how dominant SF was and another ultra conservative offensive called game. Besides the early VC turnover deep in own territory, has SH even gotten past mid-field in league play? I dont think they even made it past the 50 this whole game and when they almost did, penalties and sacks sent them backwards at huge chunks of yardage.

I really do like Coach Mac. Guy has passion and really does alot with the kids, but I would honestly rather lose to a really good team running just crazy offensive plays like bubble screens, hook and ladders, reverses, half back passes. Something instead of lets just give it to Speedy and just hope he breaks one. That works against Homestead, and laughably Riordan, but not against the rest of league. To be fair, SH doesnt have many offensive weapons besides Heard. Watkins is good for a WR sweep for about 5 yards and thats about it. I do like Dowling's arm. The kid can really throw it. From what I saw of his Hudl highlights from last year at SI, he could run too. There was no running tonight as expected.

It was a huge effort and no one really got hurt which is good news for next week. However, I predict a Biggins run left, run middle, run right, repeat type of game like how VC did to us. Hope Im wrong. Go Irish!

Yes, the San Mateo Times of the 1970s ... four full-time sportswriters I believe. Chris Stave was the prep guy. Rick Eymer and Simi Lee were making more than $20,000 a year working part-time -- a lot of money for back then. Another correspondent blanketed the North Peninsula League and covered two games every Friday and rounded up the other two. Steve Johnson covered Serra and some of the Mid-Peninsula League action. And there were others. It was comprehensive.

Give Irish defense credit for their tremendous effort. But really the score did not indicate how dominant SF was and another ultra conservative offensive called game. Besides the early VC turnover deep in own territory, has SH even gotten past mid-field in league play? I dont think they even made it past the 50 this whole game and when they almost did, penalties and sacks sent them backwards at huge chunks of yardage.

I really do like Coach Mac. Guy has passion and really does alot with the kids, but I would honestly rather lose to a really good team running just crazy offensive plays like bubble screens, hook and ladders, reverses, half back passes. Something instead of lets just give it to Speedy and just hope he breaks one. That works against Homestead, and laughably Riordan, but not against the rest of league. To be fair, SH doesnt have many offensive weapons besides Heard. Watkins is good for a WR sweep for about 5 yards and thats about it. I do like Dowling's arm. The kid can really throw it. From what I saw of his Hudl highlights from last year at SI, he could run too. There was no running tonight as expected.

It was a huge effort and no one really got hurt which is good news for next week. However, I predict a Biggins run left, run middle, run right, repeat type of game like how VC did to us. Hope Im wrong. Go Irish!

Terrible disrespectful comment about Riordan, I hope you feel good about yourself

Reactions: jordan24
The late Chris Stave. One of the finest writers, sports or not, to ever toil in Peninsula journalism. He passed away much too soon back in the early 1990s before the San Mateo Times was sold to Dean Singleton and his Alameda Newspaper Group. Today, The Times is gone from the scene entirely, like the Palo Alto Times, the Redwood City Tribune and the Burlingame Advance Star before it. Not to mention all of the weekly community publications that have been shut down as well. It's been a slow but steady demise for paid print outfits. The obituaries are still being written. They aren't pretty.

Serra up 20-0 end of 1rst quarter. After watching a few minutes this Bells team is not going to be able to stop Serra on offense or defense. Serra looks bigger/faster.

As announcers talking about players one says "we'd tell you more about the Bells players, but we don't have any stats on Bells players" [see earlier posts regarding Bells & S.I. not making their players stats public].

Last edited:
Serra 43-0 early in 3rd quarter - after kick-off it took Serra 4 plays to go the length of the field & score, too many weapons for undermanned Bells team...

Serra up 20-0 end of 1rst quarter 1rst quarter. After watching a few minutes this Bells team is not going to be able to stop Serra on offense or defense. Serra looks bigger/faster.

As announcers talking about players one says "we'd tell you more about the Bells players, but we don't have any stats on Bells players" [see earlier posts regarding Bells & S.I. not making their players stats public].

And, sadly, now we know why.

Reactions: Rmbr26
After watching Serra today and Saint Francis last night, I’d be surprised if the Padres don’t run the table in the wcal. I’d say 2 tiers right now - Serra and then everyone else!

September 28th
Saint Francis 14 - Sacred Heart Cathedral 0
September 29th
Junipero Serra 43 - Bellarmine 0
Archbishop Mitty 34 - Archbishop Riordan 6

So everyone is aware, Serra 42-7 win over Mitty was with a running clock entire second 1/2. Serra Victory over Bells today was 36-0 at 1/2 & Serra drove field to start 2nd 1/2 in 4 plays to score & 43-0 at beginning of 3rd quarter.
Running clock agreed to by both coaches of Serra & Bells and game ends quickly afterwards. If no running clock the game would have resulted in worst loss in Bellarmine football history [another 3-4 scores for Serra would be conservative]. The last 2 weeks may have been the most dominant Serra games I've seen over both Mitty & Bellarmine with games being in all respects over 1rst into 2nd quarters. Question: Could this Serra team be better than '16-17"?
Before anyone answers as to offensive players graduated - did you see Serra's D today? [ie: 2 @ 6'5 D-Ends? ..

So everyone is aware, Serra 42-7 win over Mitty was with a running clock entire second 1/2. Serra Victory over Bells today was 36-0 at 1/2 & Serra drove field to start 2nd 1/2 in 4 plays to score & 43-0 at beginning of 3rd quarter.
Running clock agreed to by both coaches of Serra & Bells and game ends quickly afterwards. If no running clock the game would have resulted in worst loss in Bellarmine football history [another 3-4 scores for Serra would be conservative]. The last 2 weeks may have been the most dominant Serra games I've seen over both Mitty & Bellarmine with games being in all respects over 1rst into 2nd quarters. Question: Could this Serra team be better than '16-17"?
Before anyone answers as to offensive players graduated - did you see Serra's D today? [ie: 2 @ 6'5 D-Ends? ..
Serra continues to get better every week, they are peaking on both sides of the ball. SF is going n big trouble.

Initial numbers after 5 games show Serra's offense just behind last year's record setting team and surprisingly defensive numbers so far are slightly better than last season.

Personally, I enjoyed the red zone jumbo package Serra inserted into the offense late in the second period, a pair of 250-pound fullbacks/linemen along with an extra 275-pound tackle.

WCAL Football 2018

Latest Frosh scores:
Serra 37 – Bellarmine 8
Saint Francis 42 – SHC 0
Archbishop Mitty 27 – Riordan 20
Valley Christian 34 – Saint Ignatius 7

* Serra's JV lost to Bells by 12-3 leaving Serra's JV as the only winless team at 0-4

Serra Roster Numbers = Varsity 60, JV 31, Frosh 55

Both Mitty and Riordan qbs appeared to get dinged up yesterday with Bey coming out 1st half for some snaps and late in game. Abdelghani who got hurt last week in 1st half was not right and eventually left in the 4th quarter. While field turf is sustainable vs natural grass, I’m convinced knee, leg and foot/ankle injuries occur far more often on the turf than grass. Survival of the fittest.

Both Mitty and Riordan qbs appeared to get dinged up yesterday with Bey coming out 1st half for some snaps and late in game. Abdelghani who got hurt last week in 1st half was not right and eventually left in the 4th quarter. While field turf is sustainable vs natural grass, I’m convinced knee, leg and foot/ankle injuries occur far more often on the turf than grass. Survival of the fittest.

It might be due to the types of shoes players wear. You really don't need cleats when there's no dirt to dig into.

Reactions: jordan24
WCAL Football 2018

Latest Frosh scores:
Serra 37 – Bellarmine 8
Saint Francis 42 – SHC 0
Archbishop Mitty 27 – Riordan 20
Valley Christian 34 – Saint Ignatius 7

* Serra's JV lost to Bells by 12-3 leaving Serra's JV as the only winless team at 0-4

Serra Roster Numbers = Varsity 60, JV 31, Frosh 55

Not surprised at the Serra score. St. Francis looks to continue having good defense. Good to see SI lose. I haven't seen Riordan yet.

WCAL Football 2018 - Upcoming Week 3 of WCAL League play [7 games]

Friday Nite Lites

S.I. 0-5 vs SHC 2-3 @ Kezar Stadium 7:00 PM
Bells 2-3 vs Mitty 3-2 @ Foothill CC 7:00 PM
VC 4-1 vs SF 4-1 @ St. Francis 7:00 PM

Saturday
Riordan 1-4 vs Serra 3-2 @ Serra 2:00 PM

What to expect:
S.I. vs SHC -
This will be the biggest game of the season between the 3 SF teams, ARHS, S.I. & SHC. The game this Friday night is important in regards to the Bruce-Mahoney Trophy. Established in 1947, the Bruce-Mahoney trophy is named in honor of Bill Bruce (Saint Ignatius College Preparatory, 1935), and Jerry Mahoney [SHC ’44]. Both men were outstanding athletes who lost their lives serving their country in World War II. The trophy is awarded to whichever school wins two out of three games each year in football, boys basketball and baseball. St. Ignatius has won the trophy 50 times to 21 times for SHC who won last years' football game in a close contest between the 2 teams. In Football S.I. has won 47 times to 14 for SHC with 6 ties between the 2 teams. Not only is this game important in regards to Bruce-Mahoney, but realistically will establish who is the best team in SF.
S.I. while 0-5 is the favored team in this contest despite SHC's 2-3 more favorable record. S.I. has had the 3 toughest schedule of the 8 WCAL teams, though SHC played perhaps their best game of the season in a much closer than expected 14-0 loss to St. Francis the #1 ranked team in the CCS currently. SHC looked tough on defense against SF while S.I. should have the edge on offense with its run game of Mark Biggins and sophomore Jahsai Shannon . SHC Irish started a new QB last week, soph transfer from S.I. Cian Dowling who looked good passing, narrowly missing on a few deep passes in his first game. Could the young S.I. transfer be the X-Factor for the Irish?
Prediction: S.I. 21-13

Bells vs Mitty - Bells shut-out 43-0 at Serra while Mitty took down Riordan by 34-6. The week prior Mitty lost to Serra by 42-6 whle the Bells won over Riordan by 34-20. Mitty is the decided favorite in this game with a better offense and defense than the Bells. Mitty has the experienced QB in Shamir Bey, one of the better QB's in the WCAL and also RB James Thomas along with WR's Vaughn & Dupree who can all make big plays. THe Bells have struggled on both sides of the ball and in particular on offense. The Bells will try to establish their run game with QB Harry Mingrone running the offense with their 2 primary RB's being Tyson Garcia and Aizon Henry who has looked good at times.
Bells have taken to the air a bit more this season trying to balance their offense and given the chance Mingrone can throw a nice pass. Mitty counters with a secondary that has 7 INT's so far this season.
Prediction: Mitty 28-7

VC vs SF - In the big game of the week to establish who is the other front runner of the league besides Serra. Previous to last week the answer would have clearly been St. Francis. That may change as of Friday night if the VC Warrior's run game heats up against the Lancer's. SF has a tougher game than expected against SHC last week prevailing by just 2 scores 14-0. SF also started a new QB losing its starter Jack Perry to injury. So the question is did SHC play especially well against the Lancer's OR did the Lancer's struggle using a new QB with little game time experience? [or as simple as SF taking their "foot off the gas knowing they could control the game vs Irish?]. SF had relied on their defense as the best in the WCAL and one of the best in NorCal. The Lancer's will need their D to be at its best if their offense is again limited to a couple of scores. VC's rushing game has picked up the last several games and seems to be in sync now. This should be a hard fought game with SF the favortie and VC a very capable opponent if their offense is clicking.
Prediction: SF 17-14

Serra - Riordan - The Crusader's travel to Serra to take on the league's leading offense and #2 rated defense [so far it's SF, Serra & VC in order of defense and all 3 appear very good]. Serra has big play ability all the way around and will pressure Riordan on defense as well. In the last 2 games Serra has scored 71 points in the first 1/2 of those games, pulling starters in the 3rd quarters and both games going to a running clock. Unfortunately just losing 34-6 to Mitty the Crusader's prospects of coming away with a win appear slim at best. If Riordan can do any better than MItty or Bells that in itself would be a moral victory at this stage in the season. Riordan needs to be able to run the ball to some degree to use the clock and attempt to keep the ball away from Serra's offense as much as is possible [easier said than done]. Field position is crucial and with Serra's kicker as well as their kick returners the Padres can control field position and put the other team in the hole so to speak to start out deep in their own territory [the Bells never crossed mid-field in last weeks game if I'm correct]. Hopefully both teams avoid injuries with more important games coming up soon [Serra vs VC & SF and Riordan SHC & S.I.].
Prediction: Serra 45-7

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT