ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2018 - San Jose Merc All Bay Area Team

Curious about SI's college guys. It just seems like football at SI is not a priority these days. Not sure why. Maybe it's an administrative decision. Maybe demographics, maybe too many commuters from Marin, etc. It's unclear.

[B said:
"colhenrylives[/B], post: 208911, member: 968"]Curious about SI's college guys. It just seems like football at SI is not a priority these days. Not sure why. Maybe it's an administrative decision. Maybe demographics, maybe too many commuters from Marin, etc. It's unclear.

Not sure either colhenry as its appears S.I.'s football program as a whole has been on a downward slide since 2015.
From past experience the 2 schools who promote their football program's the least in the WCAL are Bellarmine & St. Ignatius. Now for the Bells its always been this way as even a football website some parents put together for Bells team 4-5 years ago couldn't catch fire and no one kept it up. Bells traditionally never contributed to MaxPreps or other sites with any team/player data [always wondered if just Coach Janda wanted other teams to know as little as possible about team or players as that would be to his advantage, right?]. S.I. on the other hand quit in 2015 entering any player stats and other info has been bare minimal as well - team scores for Frosh, JV's next to impossible to get, accurate roster info, any basic information on their teams. Seems in a school of this size and with their resources they could have 1 person to help support the teams & players on them, but not so...
Not sure but it seems S.I. promotes Lacrosse far more than football in recent years'. This season S.I. has a chance to improve possibly in football despite an 0-3 start due to one of the tougher pre-season schedules. May come down to just how good the Palo Alto team is with the younger brother of Keller Krist as the QB [S.I. lost in the closing minutes to Paly who is now 4-0 and S.I. was its only close game]. Could S.I. possibly get wins against ARHS & SHC? Why yes certainly possible or SHC may be a real surprise based upon 17-14 loss to Palma. Then again S.I. or SHC could be good enough to take down the Bells and maybe a shot at Mitty - we'll see how Mitty does this Friday nite vs Serra.
As for S.I. football it is a mere shadow of the program that in 2012 upset the Bells to win the CCS Open Division Title.
Isn't this the school that produced some guy named Dan Fouts? Then again the current student body & admin probably doesn't know who he is...

Thank you Jordan24 as always helpful to get additional input & opinions. I will try to evaluate the WCAL school websites upcoming as always looking at and curious what others think.

Colhenry Alert!! Thanks to Jordan24 I found something quite interesting & never thought I'd be able to see.
St. Ignatius school website has an archive of old game videos. Looking further it goes back - way back.
Shocked to see the 1968 game of Serra vs S.I. in which you get to see 3 Serra players who made it to the pro's along with S.I.'s Dan Fouts #10 San Diego Charger's, Serra's Jesse Freitas Jr. #17 San Diego Charger's, Lynn Swann #22 Pittsburg Steeler's SuperBowl MVP and Tom Scott #26 Canadian league 2-time MVP.
[2 NFL QB's, a Super Bowl MVP & Canadian League MVP - now that's something you don't see every day].

https://vimeo.com/album/4037332

Scroll down to: 1968 football vs. Serra 1968 reel 2

Last edited:
St. Ignatius school website has an archive of old game videos. Looking further it goes back - way back.
Shocked to see the 1968 game of Serra vs S.I. in which you get to see 3 Serra players who made it to the pro's along with S.I.'s Dan Fouts #1 San Diego Charger's, Serra's Jesse Freitas Jr. #17 San Diego Charger's, Lynn Swann #22 Pittsburg Steeler's SuperBowl MVP and Tom Scott #26 Canadian league 2-time MVP.
[2 NFL QB's, a Super Bowl MVP & Canadian League MVP - now that's something you don't see every day].

Good stuff!

As for S.I. football it is a mere shadow of the program that in 2012 upset the Bells to win the CCS Open Division Title.

That was more Janda with a superior brainfart. So youre telling me you cant make basically an extra point to win the game, instead you go for it on 4th down and get stuffed? Brainfart is just too nice. That 2012 class had gamers/winners all over. Stinn being the ultimate winner/leader.

Thank you Jordan24 as always helpful to get additional input & opinions. I will try to evaluate the WCAL school websites upcoming as always looking at and curious what others think.

Colhenry Alert!! Thanks to Jordan24 I found something quite interesting & never thought I'd be able to see.
Shocked to see the 1968 game of Serra vs S.I. in which you get to see 3 Serra players who made it to the pro's along with S.I.'s Dan Fouts #1 San Diego Charger's, Serra's Jesse Freitas Jr. #17 San Diego Charger's, Lynn Swann #22 Pittsburg Steeler's SuperBowl MVP and Tom Scott #26 Canadian league 2-time MVP.

The 1967 SI team was one of its best ever at the school. Coached by the manic Vince Tringali, it featured two guys who played at USC, Bob Giorgetti and Mike Ryan, as well as Dan Fouts. Bob Sarlatte, comedian/actor, played on that team too. They beat Serra easily for the first WCAL title in a night game at old Kezar. SI lost only to Sequoia, 26-13, and ended 9-1 that season. Sequoia was outstanding that year. The Cherokees finished 9-0 and tied with Anaheim for the No.1 ranking in the state.

Last edited:
Re that old SI game film, I've tweeted out links to it numerous times and provided a link to the 1968 SI at Serra game to Serra High (it is now on its school site). The '69 Padre vs. Wildcat game is also available and this would be the 50th anniversary of that game, I think.

That was more Janda with a superior brainfart. So youre telling me you cant make basically an extra point to win the game, instead you go for it on 4th down and get stuffed? Brainfart is just too nice. That 2012 class had gamers/winners all over. Stinn being the ultimate winner/leader.

iamgearyblvd - can't say I disagree with you on Janda's play calling that day being inside the 10 yard line with one of the best kickers in the WCAL and Janda calls a run play on 4th when a field goal would have won the game. The other factor was Bellarmine suspended 3 players the day before game and 2 of them were starters including an important 2-way player at WR/DB. S.I. lucked out winning the game and then got blasted by Granite Bay the following week in the NorCal regional.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Re that old SI game film, I've tweeted out links to it numerous times and provided a link to the 1968 SI at Serra game to Serra High (it is now on its school site). The '69 Padre vs. Wildcat game is also available and this would be the 50th anniversary of that game, I think.

An interesting aspect of that 1968 video: The game, played at San Mateo High on a Saturday afternoon, attracted an SRO crowd of what looks like at least 5,000 folks, maybe more. That Serra team drew big WCAL gatherings wherever it played. The estimate for the Bellarmine game at Santa Clare University was 10,000 that year.

The 1967 SI team was one of its best ever at the school. Coached by the manic Vince Tringali, it featured two guys who played at USC, Bob Giorgetti and Mike Ryan, as well as Dan Fouts. Bob Sarlatte, comedian/actor, played on that team too. They beat Serra easily for the first WCAL title in a night game at old Kezar. SI lost only to Sequoia and ended 9-1 that season. Sequoia was outstanding that year.
That SI team also beat my dad's team at Drake high school which won the MCAL that year. The quarterback for that Drake team was Don Stone, who went on to play at Oregon with Fouts. The other interesting note on this is that Fouts and Stone grew up out in Sleepy Hollow (San Anselmo) two blocks from each other with our house in between the two (I was a baby then) and knew each other growing up. Fouts started out at Marin Catholic, whose teams were horrid back the, and either transferred to SI after freshman or sophomore year.

Reactions: colhenrylives
WCAL Football 2018

Varsity Games this week all on Friday night – Sept. 21rst
Junipero Serra 1-2 @ Archbishop Mitty 2-1, 7:00 PM @ Foothill CollegeArchbishop Riordan 1-2 @ Bellarmine 1-2, 7:00 PM @ SJCCValley Christian 2-1 @ Sacred Heart Cathedral 2-1, 7:00 PM @ KezarSaint Ignatius 0-3 @ Saint Francis 2-1, 7:00 PM

Serra vs Mitty
Serra has looked good at times despite its 1-2 record based upon the toughest pre-season schedule of any of the WCAL teams. Mitty had what appeared to be a big win over somewhat over-rated Oakdale, but still a big win by way of the score. Mitty lost its toughest game to M-A by 28-21 though M-A shut-out the Bells by 28-0. This Friday nite we will see just how good both these teams are. Serra “owned” Mitty in 2 blow-outs last season first in league 64-21 and then in post-season 52-7. Both teams return their QB’s though Serra lost numerous dynamic playmakers’ who helped the Padres set numerous scoring records. If Mitty can hang with Serra and simply keep the game/score competitive [as in close] then Mitty with its new head coach & veteran QB will have made substantial progress and likely belong in the upper tier of the WCAL. A game that is out of reach by half time and/or a lopsided score will show the Monarchs still have a ways to go to compete at the top level of the league.
Projection: Serra 45-21

Riordan vs Bells
Another interesting game as we find out how much separates these 2 teams. Bellarmine has not looked good showing little offense in its first 3 games. Riordan is the opposite showing flashes of offense but not much stopping power on the defensive side of the ball. Simply put if Riordan can score on the Bells the Crusader’s could actually beat the Bells. Bellarmine comes in as a substantial favorite so Crusader’s will need their best game to date.
Projection: Bells 27-14

VC vs SHC:
For myself this is the most interesting game of the week. Without a doubt VC is a heavy favorite in this game by several scores. We’ll find out if the SHC loss of 17-14 to unbeaten Palma was a fluke, an off-nite for Palma or SHC actually can perform against the better teams. I think the bottom line is VC may be too physical & deep for the Irish, so possibly SHC can keep the game close into the 3rd quarter before VC slowly pulls away. It will be difficult for SHC to score against VC and will need to limit VC’s ground game at the same time. Think big plays on special teams Irish.
Projection VC 35-14.

S.I. vs SF
S.I. had one of the tougher pre-season schedules, but then again SF had to travel to DLS and performed credibly against the Spartans losing 33-14 or by only 3 points more than Folsom lost to DLS. Currently SF is “the team to beat” in the WCAL for all purposes. So does S.I. being the “best” 0-3 team in CCS have any chance at all in this contest? From the games so far and looking at the Lancer defense it is a daunting task for the S.I. Wildcats. SF is a big physical HS team and deep as well. S.I. will have its hands full trying to score against the Lancers and past games indicate S.I. would do well to score 2 TD’s in this one. SF is all about defense but has an offense that will slowly grind down other teams. SF’s RB’s will be tough to stop especially on short yardage and for passing SF has Evan Williams who doubles on defense as well & possibly the best player on the field between the 2 teams. Yes S.I. has quite a challenge Friday nite.
Projection: SF 35-14

Last edited:
Google "SI football vs. (insert team here)" and you'll likely have games between the Wildcats and an array of foes pop up, roughly from 1967 thru 77. It's interesting stuff and amazing to see how big some of the crowds were.

WCAL Football 2018

Junipero Serra 1-2 @ Archbishop Mitty 2-1, 7:00 PM @ Foothill CollegeArchbishop Riordan 1-2 @ Bellarmine 1-2, 7:00 PM @ SJCCValley Christian 2-1 @ Sacred Heart Cathedral 2-1, 7:00 PM @ KezarSaint Ignatius 0-3 @ Saint Francis 2-1, 7:00 PM

Serra vs Mitty
Serra has looked good at times despite its 1-2 record based upon the toughest pre-season schedule of any of the WCAL teams. Mitty had what appeared to be a big win over somewhat over-rated Oakdale, but still a big win by way of the score. Mitty lost its toughest game to M-A by 28-21 though M-A shut-out the Bells by 28-0. This Friday nite we will see just how good both these teams are. Serra “owned” Mitty in 2 blow-outs last season first in league 64-21 and then in post-season 52-7. Both teams return their QB’s though Serra lost numerous dynamic playmakers’ who helped the Padres set numerous scoring records. If Mitty can hang with Serra and simply keep the game/score competitive [as in close] then Mitty with its new head coach & veteran QB will have made substantial progress and likely belong in the upper tier of the WCAL. A game that is out of reach by half time and/or a lopsided score will show the Monarchs still have a ways to go to compete at the top level of the league.

Riordan vs Bells
Another interesting game as we find out how much separates these 2 teams. Bellarmine has not looked good showing little offense in its first 3 games. Riordan is the opposite showing flashes of offense but not much stopping power on the defensive side of the ball. Simply put if Riordan can score on the Bells the Crusader’s could actually beat the Bells. Bellarmine comes in as a substantial favorite so Crusader’s will need their best game to date.

VC vs SHC:
For myself this is the most interesting game of the week. Without a doubt VC is a heavy favorite in this game by several scores. We’ll find out if the SHC loss of 17-14 to unbeaten Palma was a fluke, an off-nite for Palma or SHC actually can perform against the better teams. I think the bottom line is VC may be too physical & deep for the Irish, so possibly SHC can keep the game close into the 3rd quarter before VC slowly pulls away. It will be difficult for SHC to score against VC and will need to limit VC’s ground game at the same time. Think big plays on special teams Irish.
Projection VC 35-14.

S.I. vs SF
S.I. had one of the tougher pre-season schedules, but then again SF had to travel to DLS and performed credibly against the Spartans losing 33-14 or by only 3 points more than Folsom lost to DLS. Currently SF is “the team to beat” in the WCAL for all purposes. So does S.I. being the “best” 0-3 team in CCS have any chance at all in this contest? From the games so far and looking at the Lancer defense it is a daunting task for the S.I. Wildcats. SF is a big physical HS team and deep as well. S.I. will have its hands full trying to score against the Lancers and past games indicate S.I. would do well to score 2 TD’s in this one. SF is all about defense but has an offense that will slowly grind down other teams. SF’s RB’s will be tough to stop especially on short yardage and for passing SF has Evan Williams who doubles on defense as well & possibly the best player on the field between the 2 teams. Yes S.I. has quite a challenge Friday nite.

That's good stuff. A key for Serra: Will all of its primary defenders be available. That includes its 6-5 junior defensive end who has been unavailable for weeks due to injury.

WCAL Football 2018

Serra vs Mitty

Riordan vs Bells

VC vs SHC:
Projection VC 35-14.

S.I. vs SF

SF will roll and all the other games will be tight.

My upset is Mitty beating serra in a shootout. Serra's defense just isn't the same with coach Vasser gone. Plus I think Mitty is way better this year than last year. 34-31 Mitty

It's going to be a nice Indian Summer evening in the South Bay for WCAL-opening Friday Night Lights! The City will be clear and cool! Good luck and injury free wishes to all the teams tomorrow!

[B]colhenrylives[/B] post: 208996 said:
That's good stuff. A key for Serra: Will all of its primary defenders be available. That includes its 6-5 junior defensive end who has been unavailable for weeks due to injury.

I read that Serra's Ed Lahlouh will be returning to action after hurting an ankle in the 2nd play of the season and will return to full time action vs Mitty. Lahlouh is one of Serra's best defensive players and also plays RB in short yardage situations. I spotted an article which is a pretty good read on Lahlouh & will post upcoming. Have not heard any further update on Serra's RB David Coker, any news anyone?

Last edited:
Streamed games tonight? I'll start..

Saint Ignatius 0-3 @ Saint Francis 2-1, 7:00 PM
https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/saint-francis-high-school-mountain-view-mountain-view-ca/gamad34d56a37?maxpreps=desktop_teamschedule

Archbishop Riordan 1-2 @ Bellarmine 1-2, 7:00 PM @ SJCC
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCetKD-fHDPUuOn8SSyqxndw

Junipero Serra 1-2 @ Archbishop Mitty 2-1, 7:00 PM @ Foothill College
Valley Christian 2-1 @ Sacred Heart Cathedral 2-1, 7:00 PM @ Kezar

Streamed games tonight? I'll start..

Saint Ignatius 0-3 @ Saint Francis 2-1, 7:00 PM
https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/saint-francis-high-school-mountain-view-mountain-view-ca/gamad34d56a37?maxpreps=desktop_teamschedule

Archbishop Riordan 1-2 @ Bellarmine 1-2, 7:00 PM @ SJCC
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCetKD-fHDPUuOn8SSyqxndw

Junipero Serra 1-2 @ Archbishop Mitty 2-1, 7:00 PM @ Foothill College
Valley Christian 2-1 @ Sacred Heart Cathedral 2-1, 7:00 PM @ Kezar
Irish football vs. Valley Christian will be streaming tonight at this link:

Google "SI football vs. (insert team here)" and you'll likely have games between the Wildcats and an array of foes pop up, roughly from 1967 thru 77. It's interesting stuff and amazing to see how big some of the crowds were.
I noticed how big the crowd was as well. Very interesting.

Look for EJ Lahlou to be 100% healthy, Nusi Malani will be at D end at 6 ft 5 235 and Mike Churich at 6 ft 6 230 at the other D end. Back up QB at 6 ft 3, McClemore will be at corner and Nate Sanchez will be a more than adequate replacement for Cocker.

Shocked to see the 1968 game of Serra vs S.I. in which you get to see 3 Serra players who made it to the pro's along with S.I.'s Dan Fouts #10 San Diego Charger's, Serra's Jesse Freitas Jr. #17 San Diego Charger's, Lynn Swann #22 Pittsburg Steeler's SuperBowl MVP and Tom Scott #26 Canadian league 2-time MVP.

Amazing!!! I can't believe how many videos are in archives for SI. I got a kick out of the 1938-1939 video appearing to be a sort of yearbook. They had a minute or so clip of their high school football pay action in that vid.

Good knowledge SpartanWhoKnows.

Serra vs Mitty should be interesting and while I have Serra winning by several scores it could also be closer than my prediction. Serra's offense has not been anywhere near the scoring machine the Padres were last season setting record after record. Serra lost its league best set of 4 WR's to graduation and so far has relied more on a ball control short passing game. From the first 3 games it does not appear Serra has the speed of last season's WR's and no deep threat as of yet. The Padres rushing game has been less than productive as well. Like St. Francis Serra lost its primary RB for the season in David Coker who could break off a large gain at any time. So far it appears the keys for Serra have been the QB Bottari, defense and special teams. Bottari is the league leading QB in completion percentage at 71% which is quite high and partially due to an effective short passing game. Looking at Mitty the Monarch's QB Shamir Bey is completing 50% and attempts and completes far fewer passes than Bottari, however Serras Bottari is averaging 203 YPG passing while Bey is close behind at 189 YPG passing. Mitty has an edge with the RB's they return from last year along with Bey and Mitty appears to have a slight edge in WR's as well. So on paper by positions it appears Mitty could give Serra a game this evening. The one factor though reminding me of Serra's last 2 season's is the strength of the Padres pre-season schedule which is far higher than that of Mitty. Mitty's highest rated opponent was M-A who defeated Mitty by 28-21. M-A is rated lower than the weakest of the 3 teams Serra has played to date with that being Elk Grove whom Serra defeated 41-17.

WCAL Football 2018

St. Francis vs St. Ignatius JV Game just ending: SF 28-0 over S.I.

SF vs S.I. not off to a good start. SD pressures and intercepts an S.I. screen pass on 1rst play of game from scrimmage. 2 plays later SF scores on TD pass to who else but Evan Williams - 1 minute into game.

27-20 Bells at the half. Riordan drive stalls inside the red zone. Riordan ball to start the 2nd half.
Bells running primarily from the spread tonight.
Riordan JVs beat the Bells 42-16

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Good knowledge SpartanWhoKnows.

Serra vs Mitty should be interesting and while I have Serra winning by several scores it could also be closer than my prediction. Serra's offense has not been anywhere near the scoring machine the Padres were last season setting record after record. Serra lost its league best set of 4 WR's to graduation and so far has relied more on a ball control short passing game. From the first 3 games it does not appear Serra has the speed of last season's WR's and no deep threat as of yet. The Padres rushing game has been less than productive as well. Like St. Francis Serra lost its primary RB for the season in David Coker who could break off a large gain at any time. So far it appears the keys for Serra have been the QB Bottari, defense and special teams. Bottari is the league leading QB in completion percentage at 71% which is quite high and partially due to an effective short passing game. Looking at Mitty the Monarch's QB Shamir Bey is completing 50% and attempts and completes far fewer passes than Bottari, however Serras Bottari is averaging 203 YPG passing while Bey is close behind at 189 YPG passing. Mitty has an edge with the RB's they return from last year along with Bey and Mitty appears to have a slight edge in WR's as well. So on paper by positions it appears Mitty could give Serra a game this evening. The one factor though reminding me of Serra's last 2 season's is the strength of the Padres pre-season schedule which is far higher than that of Mitty. Mitty's highest rated opponent was M-A who defeated Mitty by 28-21. M-A is rated lower than the weakest of the 3 teams Serra has played to date with that being Elk Grove whom Serra defeated 41-17.

Serra up 35-0 at the half, according to MaxPreps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT