ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Injuries

jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
SHC, RIordan and Valley Christian all have injuries to pivotal players on their teams. In SHC's case, they have multiple injuries throughout their starting lineup - Stefko, Na and Murphy.
VC's, Colin Johnson is likely out for the season based on the reports from the SJ Mercury. Riordan's Raymone Sanders leg injury appeared serious as he was carted off the field, but no word yet on the extent of the injury.
With WCAL play starting in two weeks it's quite apparent that to ensure a competitive and/or winning season heavily depends on a team's roster depth, not in numbers, but in quality backups.
All the WCAL teams have next week off with time to recover and work on their game, with the exception of the Crusaders. Next up for them are the St. Mary's Panthers in Berkeley who are coming off a good win over host Bishop O'Dowd. St. Mary's has some talented skill players and are well coached. Should be a good barometer to find out Coach Fordon's adjustments to replace Sanders and the team's ability to clean up their game in preparation for league play. We shall soon see.

SHC, RIordan and Valley Christian all have injuries to pivotal players on their teams. In SHC's case, they have multiple injuries throughout their starting lineup - Stefko, Na and Murphy.
VC's, Colin Johnson is likely out for the season based on the reports from the SJ Mercury. Riordan's Raymone Sanders leg injury appeared serious as he was carted off the field, but no word yet on the extent of the injury.
With WCAL play starting in two weeks it's quite apparent that to ensure a competitive and/or winning season heavily depends on a team's roster depth, not in numbers, but in quality backups.
All the WCAL teams have next week off with time to recover and work on their game, with the exception of the Crusaders. Next up for them are the St. Mary's Panthers in Berkeley who are coming off a good win over host Bishop O'Dowd. St. Mary's has some talented skill players and are well coached. Should be a good barometer to find out Coach Fordon's adjustments to replace Sanders and the team's ability to clean up their game in preparation for league play. We shall soon see.
Its a shame upon hearing about Johnson injury. Him and his brother have been fighting the injury bug their whole highschool careers. Kirk was banged up all junior and senior year and now Collin was hurt soph year where if healthy would have contributed. Last year he had a solid year and now he is out for his senior year. That has to be tough although he has Texas to look forward to. If he put up big numbers this year he could have been regarded as one of the best WR the WCAL has seen.

I don't have a definite opinion on this, but am eager to hear what others believe and have experienced.

How much of a team's injuries are due to inadequate strength training and conditioning? Are athletes over doing it in the weight room and not spending enough time on agility and flexibility?

My experience is that HS and College athletes love to compete against their teammates in the weight room, but stretching is considered a "rest" period.

When you see a lot of simultaneous injuries on a single team, is that a program problem or just bad luck?

Reactions: PurpleHaze13
I don't have a definite opinion on this, but am eager to hear what others believe and have experienced.

How much of a team's injuries are due to inadequate strength training and conditioning? Are athletes over doing it in the weight room and not spending enough time on agility and flexibility?

My experience is that HS and College athletes love to compete against their teammates in the weight room, but stretching is considered a "rest" period.

When you see a lot of simultaneous injuries on a single team, is that a program problem or just bad luck?

I think you're definitely on to something here. I think there's far too much emphasis paid to strength in most HS programs. While important, it's not as important as flexibility and agility. Most HS players want to display Division 1 strength in HS hoping to impress next level coaches. What they don't know is that those coaches don't really care about that. Coaches know strength is the easy part once they get them into their program.

It could have something to do with all these passing leagues and multiple camps. I remember when we didnt play any football until the first day of practice! Lol

It's a combination of all three. In the Johnson brother's case - bad luck with injuries and possibly over training? VC has a tremendous S&C facility and I understand the Johnson's father is a former pro athlete and currently a trainer? You are correct, stretching and emphasis on agility and flexibilty are just as important as time in the weight room. Another key piece is proper nutrition and hydration. In last week's SHP-Riordan game many players were cramping up (it was 95+ on the field!), but it appeared more SHP players than Riordan. Last night MA players were dropping like flies with cramps with no one on the Crusaders cramping (at least on the field). This included their several 300lb linemen! Proper hydration starts the day before with plenty of fluids low sodium foods, not when you are lying on the field writhing in pain.

Last edited:
Good news! Raymone Sanders'injury is a deep leg contusion. Hats off to the RIordan and MA training staff and quick response from the local emergency services team.

Reactions: PurpleHaze13
For SHC, add in Emilio Salazaar and Tommy Franceschini, both returning starters and key defenders.

For SHC, add in Emilio Salazaar and Tommy Franceschini, both returning starters and key defenders.
How are the touted sophs holding up? Any contribution from them? Any thoughts of tapping more from JVs?

It's a combination of all three. In the Johnson brother's case - bad luck with injuries and possibly over training? VC has a tremendous S&C facility and I understand the Johnson's father is a former pro athlete and currently a trainer? You are correct, stretching and emphasis on agility and flexibilty are just as important as time in the weight room. Another key piece is proper nutrition and hydration. In last week's SHP-Riordan game many players were cramping up (it was 95+ on the field!), but it appeared more SHP players than Riordan. Last night MA players were dropping like flies with cramps with no one on the Crusaders cramping (at least on the field). This included their several 300lb linemen! Proper hydration starts the day before with plenty of fluids low sodium foods, not when you are writhing on the field lying in pain.

Excellent point - hydration!!!!

How are the touted sophs holding up? Any contribution from them? Any thoughts of tapping more from JVs?
The sophs are playing well. Jamal Lavillier is a good runner and Are'on Mitchell looks good out there too. But [insert expletive here] all these injuries.

Jamar Sheppard is now the QB. He made one long pass near the end of the game. Let's see how that plays out, especially if he throws more passes after Ronan Murphy comes back.

Also, someone has to get on the ball about those bad quality webcasts. It's as though they borrowed a 7-11 camera. Audio was no good either and the score was shown across the middle of the screen. They should talk to the Serra guys.

Last edited:
Whats worse, the performance of the football team or the broadcast team? I'm glad the shC coaching staff took my suggestion to play Sheppard at QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT