ADVERTISEMENT

What about Mission?

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Here's a pleasant conundrum: What happens to Mission of SF come NorCal playoffs? The Bears should be 30-1 by the time of the seeding meeting. Are they placed in the Open bracket? Or will they be in their enrollment bracket? The seeding committee will have to consider their strength of schedule which, frankly, is not especially daunting overall. For example, this past Friday they took on KIPP and won by 53 digits. The AAA, a separate section all to itself, is not exactly the EBAL or WCAL. But the Bears are not to be taken lightly in spite of the poor reputation of the AAA and other negatives. They are tenacious, gritty, deep and unfazed by taller units. They remain an interesting entity as the post-season beckons.

Here's a pleasant conundrum: What happens to Mission of SF come NorCal playoffs? The Bears should be 30-1 by the time of the seeding meeting. Are they placed in the Open bracket? Or will they be in their enrollment bracket? The seeding committee will have to consider their strength of schedule which, frankly, is not especially daunting overall. For example, this past Friday they took on KIPP and won by 53 digits. The AAA, a separate section all to itself, is not exactly the EBAL or WCAL. But the Bears are not to be taken lightly in spite of the poor reputation of the AAA and other negatives. They are tenacious, gritty, deep and unfazed by taller units. They remain an interesting entity as the post-season beckons.
Good question. Their enrollment is DIII. How does this work with OAL rep come NorCal? Correct me if I'm wrong, teams that lose in Open, still allowed to compete in their enrollment bracket come NorCal. Since they (and OAL) are their own section, they would probably be regulated to their respective bracket. NCS teams play in their respective division through sectionals, when is the determination made to move a Salesian or St. Joe's to Open.

Last edited:
Mission is a very good team, but they'd be in way over their heads if they were put into the NorCal Open Division. They have wins over 2 solid teams in MA and Logan, but even though those are top 10 teams in their sections, neither will be NorCal Open teams. The Bears' only loss was by 21 to a Monte Vista team that didn't even make the NCS playoffs.

I say keep them in their enrollment division and good luck to them. I love to see teams from SF, OAL or NS do well at NorCal.

Good question. Their enrollment is DIII. How does this work with OAL rep come NorCal? Correct me if I'm wrong, teams that lose in Open, still allowed to compete in their enrollment bracket come NorCal. Since they (and OAL) are their own section, they would probably be regulated to their respective bracket. NCS teams play in their respective division through sectionals, when is the determination made to move a Salesian or St. Joe's to Open.

I'm pretty sure that once you're out, you're out regardless on if you're in the open or regular divion (Norcals only-not like CCS open sections). My understanding that regardless of enrollment, the OAL has declared that they compete at the D1 level (boys and girls). Again, that was a few years ago and things may have changed..

Legacy. SF and OAL are sections because they have always been, and don't want to roll into other sections. If the CIF were to draw it all up new today, no way they would be stand alone sections.

Legacy. SF and OAL are sections because they have always been, and don't want to roll into other sections. If the CIF were to draw it all up new today, no way they would be stand alone sections.
Here's and old article but not much has changed.. they're still there own league & section.. Well I stand corrected they have the 2 leagues now the BACSAC (Bay Area Charter School Athletic Conference that has 16 schools - MEMBER OF OAKLAND SECTION OF CIF and the OAL (Oakland Athletic League) with 7 schools that give it a total of 23 in the section.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.leagueathletics.com/Text/Documents/13418/56946.pdf

http://bacsac.org

Mission is a very good team, but they'd be in way over their heads if they were put into the NorCal Open Division. They have wins over 2 solid teams in MA and Logan, but even though those are top 10 teams in their sections, neither will be NorCal Open teams. The Bears' only loss was by 21 to a Monte Vista team that didn't even make the NCS playoffs.

I say keep them in their enrollment division and good luck to them. I love to see teams from SF, OAL or NS do well at NorCal.

I assume Mission will be battling it out in DIII against teams like Vanden, St Ignatius, Capital Christian, Manteca, Sacred Heart Cathedral, et al. A lot of quality teams but I would expect them to be a top 4 seed regardless of strength of schedule.

I assume Mission will be battling it out in DIII against teams like Vanden, St Ignatius, Capital Christian, Manteca, Sacred Heart Cathedral, et al. A lot of quality teams but I would expect them to be a top 4 seed regardless of strength of schedule.
I'm under impression St. Ignatius is D2 this year.

I'm under impression St. Ignatius is D2 this year.

I think you're right - all these re-classifications has my head spinning....Is SI's move to D2 based on enrollment increases? That weakens the DIII pool considerably. I wonder if Manteca is also pushed up to D II since they won D III state title last year?

I guess it will depend on seeding and S.I. success in Open, but would love to see an SHC or SI v. Mission at Kezar. Reminiscent of the old SF AAA battles in the old house. I still recall the 1969 Wilson v. SH championship game that ended in a riot in the arena, signaling SH move to the WCAL. Now THAT was a brawl.

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
Mission finishes regular season 30-1 after squeezing past Lowell by 1 in AAA final this week. Does a NorCal Open spot loom for the Bears? Seems unlikely due to strength of schedule issue. Still not out of the question, however.

Seems really unlikely. Nice to see a team from the city doing so well. Hope they make a deep norcal run.

Reactions: slick58
Mission has a nice roster, a few athletes and good pressure on the ball. I saw their one loss against Monte Vista of the EBAL and although they are good they would struggle a bid against well established well coach programs in the open. I too would like to see them against equal competition in their Nor Cal division.

City- Agreed. Salesian and CC most likely will be in the open so the 2 best D3 teams won't be playing Norcal D3. I think you will see something like :

Vista De Lago
Vanden
Monterey
Mission
Campo

Something like that.

If capital Christian goes to the open.
These are my seed predictions for D 3.
Not really.
1. SI
2.Vanden
3. Mission
4. Vista del Lago
5. Campo
6. St. Francis
7. Manteca
8. Analy
9. Foothill
10. SAN marin
11. Miramonte
12. Monterey
Not sure how they will rank Vanden and Vista

If capital Christian goes to the open.
These are my seed predictions for D 3.
Not really.
1. SI
2.Vanden
3. Mission
4. Vista del Lago
5. Campo
6. St. Francis
7. Manteca
8. Analy
9. Foothill
10. SAN marin
11. Miramonte
12. Monterey
Not sure how they will rank Vanden and Vista
I'd put Monterey a little higher in D3, especially if they win CCS. Was impressed with their play. Lack of height will come to play should they advance.

Monterey will be FAR higher. They are a damn good squad.
Far higher, uh? Don't think so. They will have not beat a team playing in Norcal's.
Looks like their best win was against Riordan.
They might be the 10 seed. Can't see them being ranked over any of the SJS teams, SI, Mission.
They probably ranked higher than San Marin and Miramonte if they are added.

Though Riordan had a challenging season, the Crusaders competed and took Monterey to the final 2 minutes before it was decided. A good building block towards next season.

Well, they won't. Section champs don't necessarily get a good seed because they won section. Especially, if the section and or division is weak compared to other sections. They will be a 9 or 10 seed but will host due to the section win. I can see them being the 10 and hosting Analy or Manteca

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
Will you be in the seeding room?
No, But I have been through the process many times as a player and coach.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out, who has had better competition throughout a season.
Monterey plays in a not so strong league, in a not so strong section and division.

Reactions: SF_Mikey
No, But I have been through the process many times as a player and coach.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out, who has had better competition throughout a season.
Monterey plays in a not so strong league, in a not so strong section and division.

I'm with Linc -- Monterey is a nice little Cinderella team who made a nice run through CCS but I think it's about midnight......

I came away very impressed with Monterey and I am the first to admit I had a WCAL bias for the CCS D3 bracket. After seeing Gunderson absolutely boat race the Irish and how Gunderson lost to Saratoga and Monterey blowing out Saratoga for the CCS D3 title, Monterey won't embarrass themselves in NorCals. Their 7 man rotation are all triple threat players - pass-shoot and drive. And their defense was very solid despite their lack of height. Kobe for Monterey is a baby-Harden the way he can drive, shoot, pass and draw fouls. A Mission/SI-Monterey matchup would be a barn burner.

Haven't seen them play. I based my seedingd on who they played and beat. Granted I should of put them higher. But can't see how they rank them above, capital Christian, SI, Vanden, Mission, Vista, campo, Manteca,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT