ADVERTISEMENT

What is the number to cancel a varsity game?

Lil49erCoach

Sports Fanatic
Dec 22, 2006
If your team has low numbers, mid-teens, what would you set as the number at which you would cancel the varsity, or JV, game?

I've been to hundreds of high school games. I have on occasion seen Frosh and JV teams play with as little as 12 or 13 players. I have seen Varsity in the upper teens. It depends on the players on the team and the caliber of the opponent, at least to some extent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 others
If your team has low numbers, mid-teens, what would you set as the number at which you would cancel the varsity, or JV, game?
Two years ago Sacred Heart started their JV season with 27 players. Due too some tough injuries the roster was down too 19 healthy players. They cancelled the rest of the season and brought up the healthy players to varsity. Good luck with your decision.

I doubt any school would cancel a game suiting up a roster in the mid teens. My best friend coaches and went in to several games with numbers in that range. They suited up 12 at their jamboree last weekend.

Tonight Burbank called the game in 3rd qtr With 6 minutes to go vs Sheldon as they ran out of available bodies. Suited 15 to start .

There should never be a JV or Frosh-Soph game without a varsity game.

That might also be in the rule book.

Personally, I would set the number much higher. 17 or 18 at the absolute minimum in my opinion.

Per NFHS rules " Each team shall begin the game with 11 players, but if it has no substitutes to replace injured or disqualified players, it MAY continue with fewer". I have been unable to find any CIF rule which would supersede this. Obviously up to coaches/ school administration as to when to " pull the plug" with player safety the top concern.

Our AD says that football is the only CIF sport that does not require a varsity team. Due to the nature of the sport you can’t have frosh playing seniors. Without permission of course. Same reason we can’t force JV to come up. Not having a varsity team wrecks havoc on everyone as that is a big part of the school and finances. Homecoming for instance, on both sides. But what would you do with 16 kids, 3 are sophs, 2 are 1st year players.

When do you call it a day?

Our AD says that football is the only CIF sport that does not require a varsity team. Due to the nature of the sport you can’t have frosh playing seniors. Without permission of course. Same reason we can’t force JV to come up. Not having a varsity team wrecks havoc on everyone as that is a big part of the school and finances. Homecoming for instance, on both sides. But what would you do with 16 kids, 3 are sophs, 2 are 1st year players.

When do you call it a day?

Well a good friend of mine is coaching at a school where the athletic department is going to have to start asking these sorts of questions. They ended their first game with 11 healthy players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT