ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Serra go from here?

Feb 21, 2022
Obviously the gap is still large beween Serra and MD/Bosco. Potentially the best team/defense in school history and it still was not enough to avoid a running clock. Any suggestions/ideas on how Serra can close the gap with these So-Cal powers?

Great question.. appears to be daunting task. DLS on 5 game bowl game losing streak. North best just can’t compete with south best, not sure why

……….IN THE DAMN TOILET!!!!!

I think we, as Northern Californians, need to find another program and coaching staff to buy stock in collectively because Serra is DONE! TWO ****ING WEEKS TO PREPARE AND THE BEST YOU CAN DO IS RUN YOUR PAT / FG FORMATION AND SOME POP WARNER, 2 LINEBACKER BULLSHIT?!?!?!

And before some smart ass says “w3LL, tH3y d!dNt n0 tH!3R 0PP0N3Nt t!L L@$t w33k”…..THEY HAVE 150 FREAKING KIDS IN THE PROGRAM!!!!!! YOU MEAN TO TELL ME YOU CAN CREATE 2 SCOUT TEAMS FOR A WEEK AND LET THE OFFENSE GET LOOKS AT BOTH MD’s AND SJB’s DEFENSE WHILE YOU FIGURE OUT WHO YOU’RE PLAYING?!?!?! ****!

Last edited:
YOU HAVE A NATIONALLY RANKED QB WITH OFFERS FROM HALF OF THE ****ING PLANET AND NOT ONLY DO REFUSE TO USE HIM, YOU REFUSE TO PROTECT HIM WHEN YOU DO USE HIM?!?!?!?!

Reactions: Sacchiefs
……….IN THE DAMN TOILET!!!!!

I think we, as Northern Californians, need to find another program and coaching staff to buy stock in collectively because Serra is DONE! TWO ****ING WEEKS TO PREPARE AND THE BEST YOU CAN DO IS RUN YOU PAT / FG FORMATION AND SOME POP WARNER, 2 LINEBACKER BULLSHIT?!?!?!

And before some smart ass says “w3LL, tH3y d!dNt n0 tH!3R 0PP0N3Nt t!L L@$t w33k”…..THEY HAVE 150 FREAKING KIDS IN THE PROGRAM!!!!!! YOU MEAN TO TELL ME YOU CAN CREATE 2 SCOUT TEAMS FOR A WEEK AND LET THE OFFENSE GET LOOKS AT BOTH MD’s AND SJB’s DEFENSE WHILE YOU FIGURE OUT WHO YOU’RE PLAYING?!?!?! ****!
You're an idiot. Serra could have brought the best players from DLS, Folsom and any other team in NorCal and they couldn't replicate what it's like to play Bosco or MD. Didn't the number 5 team in the country just lose to MD 28-0? They have 150 kids in the program but how many got time against DLS or Folsom, 20-25? Serra is essentially losing their entire defense to graduation yet scheduled Bosco on top of DLS and Folsom. Say what you want about Serra but they are not backing down

Obviously the gap is still large beween Serra and MD/Bosco. Potentially the best team/defense in school history and it still was not enough to avoid a running clock. Any suggestions/ideas on how Serra can close the gap with these So-Cal powers?
The biggest discrepancy is on the lines. Serra's back end is what made it defense so formidable. That will work against just about every team but MD and SJB are different animals. Games are won in the trenches and if you have a DE who is going to Alabama lining up over a tackle that might be going to CSM you're in for a long day

You're an idiot. Serra could have brought the best players from DLS, Folsom and any other team in NorCal and they couldn't replicate what it's like to play Bosco or MD. Didn't the number 5 team in the country just lose to MD 28-0? They have 150 kids in the program but how many got time against DLS or Folsom, 20-25? Serra is essentially losing their entire defense to graduation yet scheduled Bosco on top of DLS and Folsom. Say what you want about Serra but they are not backing down

You don’t look to replicate ability. You look to replicate scheme, alignment, play calling and so on. Do you think Michigan will replicate Alabama’s talent? No, but they're replicating the way they line up to certain formations, the way the adjust certain coverages to certain motions, the blitzes, twists, stunts, dogs and games they like on certain downs and distances and what not. Come on now, think a little!

AND STILL, ALL THEY COULD MUSTER TO RUN IN SOME POP WARNER 2 LINEBACKER / DOUBLE WING BULLSHIT AND THEIR A11 / SWINGING GATE PAT / FG PACKAGE….yeah, it was the Jimmies and the Joes but the Walshes and the Belles didn’t help worth a damn!

they need to improve the schedule. it's just like lifting weights. If you're benching 225 you don't move up to 300 instantly. These guys are playing Sacred Heart, VC, and Wilcox. If they want to compete with the trinity they need to schedule better teams. I am not saying they need to recruit... but with a bunch of sophomores on their team can they not recruit at least 1 or 2 studs? because you know my guy Adhir at the Riordan will be hungry to improve his team. If Serra sits on their hands.. they wil fall behind Easy

You don’t look to replicate ability. You look to replicate scheme, alignment, play calling and so on. Do you think Michigan will replicate Alabama’s talent? No, but they're replicating the way they line up to certain formations, the way the adjust certain coverages to certain motions, the blitzes, twists, stunts, dogs and games they like on certain downs and distances and what not. Come on now, think a little!

AND STILL, ALL THEY COULD MUSTER TO RUN IN SOME POP WARNER 2 LINEBACKER / DOUBLE WING BULLSHIT AND THEIR A11 / SWINGING GATE PAT / FG PACKAGE….yeah, it was the Jimmies and the Joes but the Walshes and the Belles didn’t help worth a damn!

As I told @FBAddict and @NorCalSportsFan during the game, 'nothing reminds you that common fans know nothing about football like sitting in the stands with them'. Apply that same thing to corresponding to certain posters on this site.

If Serra tried to play straight up against Mater Dei, the score would have been 49-0. Scheme? Formations? Are you freakin' blind?

They couldn't block the Monarch's d-line. The only way they could move the ball even 2 or 3 yards were with quick hitting plays and only way they could do that is which the bunch or swinging gate formations.

Aside from that, I've seen a lot of Mater Dei games. What I've never seen is them being genuinely confused and frustrated like what Serra did to them tonight. They really lost their composure on a number of plays, aside from all of the jumping offsides. You think any of that happens if the Padres played their regular spread formation?

Geezus

Great question.. appears to be daunting task. DLS on 5 game bowl game losing streak. North best just can’t compete with south best, not sure why

Easy answer. It's because the NorCal schools don't base themselves on athletics as the main emphasis.

There was a good article about this in the LA Times not too long ago. Enrollment dropped at St. John Bosco, so new principal decided to emphasize athletics and arts (I think that was the second one). Enrollment jumped, particularly when they started winning. Mater Dei took notice and did the same.

Combine that with the loosened transfer rules and poof, you get what we have today.

Last edited:

The gap is large between MD/Bosco and every other HS program in the Nation sans the likes of IMG and the Bishop during their good years.

Fwiw Mater Dei beat 3 of their Trinity league opponents by larger margins than they beat Serra tonight and were just 2 weeks removed from beating Bosco 35-7. So Lil ‘ol Serra has nothing to hang their head over.

Anybody taking these games seriously doesn’t have a clue what’s actually happening. These aren’t level playing fields nor anything close to it.

If you wanna be honest and real about it, Mater Dei is fielding an “all-star team“ from all over SoCal and even beyond whereas Serra is not fielding a team with the best players from all over NorCal, forget the beyond.

Imagine Mater Dei fielding a team consisting of players mostly living in and closely around the Santa Ana area facing a NorCal All-Star team consisting of 90+ of the very best players from Yreka to Merced. It wouldn’t go so well for the Monarchs either.

Hell, it wasn’t going so well for the Monarchs or Bosco Braves up til 2014ish, as they were consistently getting their heads kicked in by the likes of De La Salle. Go back and check Calpreps ratings for MD and SJB circa 2013 and earlier. You won’t see them in the top 25 much, yet now suddenly they are top 3 in the Nation for 8 consecutive seasons.

Did the water supply in Santa Ana and Bellflower CA suddenly get spiked with football steroids?! lmfao.

We all know what’s really gone down the past near decade. Let’s not pretend Serra and DLS are facing opponents built like them or like any legit area program. They are facing Regional all-star teams from one of the most talent rich areas in the country. That is also even drawing talent from outside their region and state.

Imagine Sac State’s football team, which is largely constructed from local area kids and others within CA, facing an all-star team consisting of the very best FCS players from all over the country. That’s essentially what‘s happening to our NorCal teams.

Nobody should be surprised by the results (except that it wasn’t happening 10 years ago before the wild wild west of recruiting began). So unless you’re expecting NorCal’s privates and/or power publics to start recruiting all of SoCal and other power states for players — there’s no place to go from here except to stop playing the game. I would say enforce stricter rules and stop the wild wild west BS, but we know that’s not happening any time soon, so….

Last edited:

Go back 10 years ago and you’ll see DLS on a 5-game bowl win streak. Why? SoCal played football back then too.

The answer isn’t hard to come by.

NorCal is fielding teams not constructed of the very best players from all over the region. The top 2-3 teams in SoCal are. Therein lies the big change over the last 8-10 years.

When these programs were more similarly constructed, NorCal was winning many of these games. It really is that simple.

Serra could have brought the best players from DLS, Folsom and any other team in NorCal and they couldn't replicate what it's like to play Bosco or MD.

Nonsense.

If NorCal fielded a team comprised of 80-90 of the very best players from Yreka to Merced (North to South) and from the coast to the Nevada Border (East to West), these games would be quite competitive. Because the construction of the rosters would both be regional or large area “all-star” teams.

But that’s not what’s happening now.

Imagine Mater Dei as currently constructed facing a HS all-star team of 80-90 of the very best players from the other 49 States, namely Texas, Florida, Georgia, Ohio, Maryland, and Louisiana. How do you think those games would turn out on average?

Well, that’s essentially what our NorCal programs are up against. It’s not kids from the greater San Mateo or East Bay areas facing kids from the greater Santa Ana or Bellflower areas. When it was more like that a decade ago, the results were starkly different.

I think trying to chase the Mater Dei/Boscos of the world will actually do harm to programs. Given the current reality, it just isn’t possible.

I think for Serra (or DLS or Folsom are any other top team), your bar has to be on being the best in NorCal and stacking yourself up against the second tier teams in NorCal.

I think trying to chase the Mater Dei/Boscos of the world will actually do harm to programs. Given the current reality, it just isn’t possible.

I think for Serra (or DLS or Folsom are any other top team), your bar has to be on being the best in NorCal and stacking yourself up against the second tier teams in NorCal.
There are levels to everything. A few decades ago, Serra decided to actively recruit the SM and East Bay areas. No crime in that. They were getting pummeled by the Bells and SF. They then started beating them. That’s a level up.

By using the available means at their disposal (street agents/pop Warner coaches and parents of current players) they effectively sold the message-we will emphasize football well beyond the resources of any public school in our immediate vicinity. No shame in that either, SF had been doing it for years.

Serra amped it up by turning itself into a Polynesian cultural center complete with the Ohana theme and the not so subtle island striping on the unis etc. Whatever it takes I guess.

Where people in the know, involved in football in some way and can see behind the curtain, is the utter disdain the Serra people have for public schools around them. They lord over everyone around them, and sell the narrative that the public’s could compete if they just “worked harder or coached better” when they know it’s an utter falsehood.

They are better than everyone around them because they are willing to do more in terms of resources, admin support and yea recruiting. They just aren’t willing to do what MD and Bosco are willing to do. Recruit national or at least statewide.

So I will use their own BS line against them-train harder, coach better. It’s not genuine but they have used that line to empty the halls of every PAL school, so let them live with it when the boogey man puts them in their place.

Back to the original question: Where does Serra go from here? They will not be No.1 in NorCal next year. That seems clear. They lose three dozen seniors and the best defense in school history. They will get an infusion of talent from an outstanding and deep 2023 freshman team. So they will be young. A year or two away from a possible return to a high NorCal perch. Another question: What does Coach Walsh do when his freshman son (a tough Serra WR) graduates in 2027?

Last edited:
Wrestling! Watched the kids shift from football to wrestling. I don't know if Folsom have wrestlers on football team. But they were head to head till finals. Oakdale had 8 in finals and won 4.
Wrestling probably the best sport next to football. Honestly more football player should wrestle especially lineman. They would benefit not only from the conditioning aspects of the sport but also learn hand fighting, body leveraging, etc…..all while increasing mental toughness as well.

Wrestling probably the best sport next to football. Honestly more football player should wrestle especially lineman. They would benefit not only from the conditioning aspects of the sport but also learn hand fighting, body leveraging, etc…..all while increasing mental toughness as well.
Rugby 🏉 is another offseason sport (though it’s a club sport) that some of the schools offer that attracts a lot of football players.

Reactions: gr8ball
Rugby 🏉 is another offseason sport (though it’s a club sport) that some of the schools offer that attracts a lot of football players.
That's what one of my sons did - Football, Wrestling and Rugby. He loved the rough and tumble nature of Ruby, did Wrestling because he was good at it and it fed his need for individual discipline and Football because of the team comradery in adversity.

Last edited:

Dude you're comparing Michigan and Alabama do you really believe the MD/Serra talent difference is similar. How about Alabama and CENTRAL Michigan

Easy answer. It's because the NorCal schools don't base themselves on athletics as the main emphasis.

There was a good article about this in the LA Times not too long ago. Enrollment dropped at St. John Bosco, so new principal decided to emphasize athletics and arts (I think that was the second one). Enrollment jumped, particularly when they started winning. Mater Dei took notice and did the same.

Combine that with the loosened transfer rules and poof, you get what we have today.
Cal: Thank you are all your posts and valuable insights this season. I read them all. You are one of the best reads out there.

Quick question for you, leaving Mater Dei and SJB aside, it even seems like Centennial (Corona) is a completely different level than Serra. They played Mater Dei well this season and probably should have beat SJB a few weeks ago. What are they doing down there as a public school to achieve their level of success and high level of play? If NorCA can just achieve their level of play it could make things more interesting and we could have a better chance in these games.

Cal: Thank you are all your posts and valuable insights this season. I read them all. You are one of the best reads out there.

Quick question for you, leaving Mater Dei and SJB aside, it even seems like Centennial (Corona) is a completely different level than Serra. They played Mater Dei well this season and probably should have beat SJB a few weeks ago. What are they doing down there as a public school to achieve their level of success and high level of play? If NorCA can just achieve their level of play it could make things more interesting and we could have a better chance in these games.

Thank you for the feedback on my posts. I really do appreciate it. 🙂

Centennial also accepts a number of transfers. They, like Mission Viejo, absorb the majority of the talent in their local area. The other two Corona schools are really bad, just like the others are in Mission Viejo.

Both of these schools do have great coaching, though. Logan’s record and his teams’ intensity are clearly evident when you watch them play and even moreso when you see them live. Watching them play at home is even crazier because the concept of stopping the clock to move the chains doesn’t really exist. You’ll often see the chain gang still running down the sideline while the offense is snapping the ball.

The Huskies were clearly the #3 team in the state this year.

Reactions: WCAL88 and FBAddict

I don’t think you understand how much high school coaches prep. They spend all weekend reviewing film and building spreadsheets that show every opponent tendency you can think of (short, mid, long, formation, personnel, sudden change, after half, trailing, up, etc. etc.). They share that info with the kids and then grind in practice the whole week so that every kid knows the tendencies. They work late into the night and early morning to make every opponent’s Hudl film is tagged.

They lost because Mater Dei’s 22 were better than the Serra 22, and most everybody knew that going in.

The number of people.
More players more options.

they need to improve the schedule. it's just like lifting weights. If you're benching 225 you don't move up to 300 instantly. These guys are playing Sacred Heart, VC, and Wilcox. If they want to compete with the trinity they need to schedule better teams. I am not saying they need to recruit... but with a bunch of sophomores on their team can they not recruit at least 1 or 2 studs? because you know my guy Adhir at the Riordan will be hungry to improve his team. If Serra sits on their hands.. they wil fall behind Easy
They would have to leave the WCAL and CCS to avoid playing those teams. They control exactly three games on their schedule. For 2024, they have scheduled Folsom, DLS, and St. John Bosco for those games.

Last edited:
Best thing we can do is stop sending an Open Division representative. Mater Dei is playing under completely different rules than NorCal teams.

Mater Dei should be playing a team from another state.

Be better for everyone involved. If I was Mater Dei i’d just schedule games nationally. I’d hate to coach at Mater Dei where the title game is decided before you get there.

Reactions: RidgeRider and remc
I am amazed at how small Oakdale tight end was. I was 5'7" in high school at 68 maybe 5'6". Standing next to him getting ready to wrestle I am good 2 inches taller. So I would say leveraging is important.

Reactions: FBAddict
Trinity league has 7th/8th graders doing lifting/conditioning at their future prespective HS Organized, get after it type of workouts, practices

Reactions: coachlittle
LECHEDEMIPALO

You are clearly ignorant when it comes to High School Football. Mater Dei has a Power 5 player at every position, Serra has 1. Serra does not have a single player that would start for Mater Dei period. There are more Power 5 players on Mater Dei than the entire CCS combined. It’s simply not a winnable game period. They controlled the ball 18-6 minutes in the first half and were down 21-0. Imagine if they went 3 and out most possessions throwing the ball. They just beat Bosco 35-7 and Bosco has almost as many Power 5 guys.

DLS won like this but they didn’t have 40 d1 guys on every roster.

If Mater Dei just ran the Split Back Veer like DLS they’d prob never lose again. lol
the talent is inferior up north.. they didnt need 40. but they had more than the others and won way more than the others

Riordan went no where with all that talent....hahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Are you saying that Serra needs to improve next year's schedule of DLS, Folsom and Bosco? If your man Adhir at Riordan is really hungry to improve his team, he should coach up all those four star recruits so they don't get taken down by a juggernaut like Los Gatos. Please let me know what his team of all stars have scheduled next year. Can't believe you are taking shots at Serra while trying to hype up the the low achieving Crusaders.

• Haha
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT